Action Thread 6

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 6

#41 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – The Missed Doors

Till and Ancor switch out, and put out the torch, Till ties the Arrow of Light to his hip and Ancor ignites the lantern. Till now keeps his dagger at hand while searching. Yosef keeps an elven eye out, and Jeloon scans all about to see if the darkness yields any signs of heat, or lack thereof. Before starting up the stairs Derek ensures his short bow is stowed safely and flips his shield around and draws his sword.
With a deep breath you slowly start up the steps. Till checking all about while Yosef scans the walls for any signs of a portal. Derek and Bruard keep their eyes alert and scanning, but unfortunately they also have the luxury of seeing the water drop into the darkness to their right as they climb. Anyone who looks can see the sweat pouring down Ancor's face, but he keeps the lantern held high.

Up the initial 10' that Till found nothing, then another 10' and a few steps, nothing, yet another 10'. While working in this area, around the 30 - 35' mark Till feels one of his steps give, he missed the well hidden pressure plate. Yosef is also surprised by the doors opening right in front of Till, Jeloon and Derek, as well as right in front of Ancor and Bruard, or in another words - right next to Yosef!

Three creatures come out of each doorway, looking like impossibly put together monsters of wood, though the wood has brownish rust tinges to it. They are all swinging club like arms at you though only the two in front will be able to attack on the top stair. While all three (pending where Yosef ends up) will be able to attack below stairs.

3 creatures (only 2 can attack) immediately in front of
Till
Jeloon and Derek
3 creatures (all three can attack, on on Jeloon and Derek, two on those below)
?????Yosef?????
Ancor and Bruard

I need initiative and actions. I need a DEX roll from Yosef. Consumables have been updated to this point.

Minus the green and add more of a rust color and texture to them, the creatures kind of look like:
creatures.jpg
creatures.jpg (7.02 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
[/b]HPs: Jeloon - 28/29; Till - 32/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 40/40
WIH: Till: Silver Dagger; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius), shield; Yosef: Ogre Spear; Ancor: Lantern, shield; Bruard: Mace, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2 - Jeloon & Derek; 3 - Yosef; 4 - Ancor & Bruard
Consumables: Arrow of Light (Till at hip): 20 minutes, 20' radius; Light on a Stick (back at base camp) 45 minutes, Torch - out (Ancor) 30 minutes left, 40' radius; Lantern (Till) 3 hours, 40 minutes left, 30' radius.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#42 Post by Alethan »

Initiative [1d6] = 5

Does Till have time to sheathe his dagger and draw his short sword? If so, then that's what he'll do. Then he'll attack (will wait to hear if that's possible, and to see if we have initiative, before rolling...).

"Flargh! Ancor, light that torch back up! If they're made of wood then maybe fire will harm them more or, at least keep them at bay!"

(By the way... how big are these creatures in relation to the party? Larger? Same size as the humans? Smaller?)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#43 Post by migellito »

[1d6] = 5 for init.

Jeloon tries to cover Till's expected retreat, attacking the wood man at the front on her side.

[1d20] = 12 +1 spec, +1 magic = AC 2

(Am I right in thinking I'm on the left side next to the rock wall and Derek is between me and the dropoff into the water?)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by rredmond »

OOC: On the road but wanted to keep up on the questions.
You have lost initiative.

To drop a weapon and draw costs you a segment (I figure) so you'd attack a bit after your single attack party members. To switch hands and draw a second weapon is one segment too. To sheathe and draw will cost you two segments. So it may not matter to you. And you can move while doing this.

Creatures are six feet tall.

This round, Round 1, is a two attack round for the two specialized fighters. Normally this would mean they attack first and last despite initiative. But in this round they will attack second and last. I'll explain more when we get into melee. Round two will be a single attack round for them.

Lastly, Jeloon and Ancor are next to the stair wall/cliff and Derek and Bruard have the drop off to the right of them. Yosef is closer to the edge than anyone would like to see.

Hope I didn't make this more confusing I'll try to post on a computer later tonight. Or else I will post in the morning tomorrow. Good luck!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#45 Post by Alethan »

Till quickly looks around and says, "I'll take the one behind you two!" As he slips between Jeloon and Vok, he switches his dagger to his left hand (to hold, not to use) and draws his short sword.

If he has a chance to attack this round after making that movement, he will attack the lone plant...er, tree monster... behind the two fighters.

To Hit, Melee [1d20] = 10

That probably won't hit, in any case...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Argennian »

"What the..." cries Yosef as he tries to maintain his balance when the hidden doors suddenly fly open and the wooden constructs move to attack:

Yosef's Dex check (need 16 or lower):
[1d20] = 11

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=2429

The elf tries to quickly move so that his back will be to Jeloon, Derek and Till, raising the former ogre's magical spear and striking out at the nearest creature:

Yosef's spear attack (unknown magical bonus NOT included!):
[1d20] = 19

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=2430

Spear damage vs small-medium creatures (does NOT include magical bonus):
[1d6] = 3 + ??

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=2431
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#47 Post by Vokarius »

Derek attacks with his longsword.

First attack is a 12 + 4 (all my bonuses) = 16\

Damage: 9
[1d8+5] = 4+5 = 9[/url

[url=http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.asp?do=showone&id=2432][1d20] = 12
Last edited by Vokarius on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#48 Post by ToniXX »

When able to, Bruard will whack the closest beast with his mace.

To hit [1d20] = 10, damage with mace [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4 (sm/m opponent)
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – Round 1 with the Creatures o' Wood

Till is able to squeeze past Jeloon and Derek (they knew he was coming) to engage the one behind them. Yosef is able to catch himself from going off the ledge (bits of dislodged rock from the stair can be heard splashing below) and still prepare to thrust his spear.

The creatures bring down the first of their wooden arms on PCs facing them. Currently it sort of looks like this:

Creature #6 on the highest step all lonely.
Creature #5 facing Jeloon (on the inside) and Creature #4 facing Derek (on the outside).
Till is back-to-back with Jeloon and, with Yosef (back-to-back with Derek), is facing Creature #3.
Creature #1 is facing Ancor (on the inside) and Creature #2 is facing Bruard on the outside.

It's tight combat quarters, and really the only folks who have any room are Ancor and Bruard who can move backward.

The creatures (except for #6) all attack with club-like fists at the end of wooden arms.

Jeloon and Derek both take glancing blows (for 2 and 3hps) feeling all boxed in.
Creature #3 takes a poorly aimed blow at Yosef, missing, probably confused with all the tussling by Till and Yosef.
Bruard is able to fend off a blow with his shield, but poor Ancor takes a blow to his quivering arm, obviously hurting him bad. The lantern falls from his hand, wobbling a bit, but miraculously stays upright and alight, a couple stairs down from him. He is still standing but very poor off.

At this point Jeloon and Derek press their multiple attack round and both strike home, bits of petrified wood flying.

Bruard seeing Ancor take that hit, tries to attack with his mace but just can't get through that toughened wooden hide.

Till is able to strike a few seconds before Yosef, but also has trouble getting his blade past the creatures defenses. Yosef, regaining his balance in time to thrust his spear is able to sheer off a layer of bark and cause some damage to the creature.

The creatures for their part, continue to mindlessly attack. Out of the corner of his eye Bruard sees that Ancor is able to keep enough wits about him to avoid the next arm and says a quick thanks to Shinare. But this split second distraction enables the creature in front of Bruard to get past his shield for blow that only causes 1hp of damage.

The creature in front of Till and Yosef flails again at Yosef, the worry about the edge causing Yosef to zag instead of zig and take a strike that hits him for 3hps - but he maintains his balance on the stair.

Derek feels Yosef's blow behind him but is able to steel himself and fend off with his shield the blow of the creature in front of him. Jeloon isn't as lucky, taking a hit for 3hps, and a step back from the crushing wood limb. None of the creatures appear as if they are willing to back down or listen to reason.

Let me know if this is confusing... sometimes multiple attacks get all kooky. But the creatures were able to attack twice this round. I need the damage rolls from Derek and Jeloon's first attack. Then I need Jeloon and Derek to roll their second attacks and damage for those attacks as they can finish out Round 1 with these attacks.

I'll need actions for next round - if everyone is continuing melee attacks then I do not need initiative. The creatures will attack first and last. Ancor is still standing and conscious. Everyone else's hit points are below.

HPs: Jeloon - 23/29; Till - 32/36; Yosef - 7/10; Bruard - 18/19; Derek - 37/40
WIH: Till: Short Sword to weild, Silver Dagger to hold; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius), shield; Yosef: Ogre Spear; Ancor: Lantern, shield; Bruard: Mace, shield
Consumables: Arrow of Light (Till at hip): 19 minutes, 20' radius; Light on a Stick (back at base camp) 44 minutes, Torch - out (Ancor) 30 minutes left, 40' radius; Lantern (Till) 3 hours, 39 minutes left, 30' radius.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#50 Post by migellito »

[1d8] = 4 +3 damage
for first attack.

2nd attack:
[1d20] = 2

pfft!

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#51 Post by Vokarius »

First Roll Damage: 9
[1d8+5] = 4+5 = 9[/url

Second Attack: 16
[1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16

Damage: 9
[1d8+5] = 4+5 = 9

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#52 Post by ToniXX »

For the next round, Bruard will continue to bash the tree-beast closest to him.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – END of Round 1 with the Creatures o' Wood

Jeloon's second strike misses as Derek's again finds it's mark sending splintering pieces of hard wood everywhere. As he draws his weapon back the creature falls into a pile of sticks and splinters, some of it splashing to the waters below. Undaunted #6 moves quickly into it's place to continue the attack on Derek.

I'll need actions for Round 2 - if everyone is continuing melee attacks then I do not need initiative. Just roll for hit and damage and we'll move on. Anything out of the ordinary let me know. The creatures will attack first and last. Ancor is still standing and conscious. Everyone else's hit points are below.

I'll wait for Till and Yosef to at least announce what they are doing. Then I'll have the creatures attack. Either way if you are attacking with your weapons please go ahead and roll for attack and damage. Thanks all!

WIH: Till: Short Sword to weild, Silver Dagger to hold; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius), shield; Yosef: Ogre Spear; Ancor: Lantern, shield; Bruard: Mace, shield
Consumables: Arrow of Light (Till at hip): 19 minutes, 20' radius; Light on a Stick (back at base camp) 44 minutes, Torch - out (Ancor) 30 minutes left, 40' radius; Lantern (Till) 3 hours, 39 minutes left, 30' radius.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#54 Post by migellito »

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#55 Post by Alethan »

Till swings heartily at the twig monster between him and Yosef.

To Hit, Melee [1d20] = 17

Damage, Sword (Small/Medium) [1d6] = 2

It looks like he hits, but only with a glancing blow...

(Just thought of something... would backstab be possible since the twig-thing is facing Yosef? If so, I'll do that the next round...)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#56 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#57 Post by Alethan »

Alethan wrote: (Just thought of something... would backstab be possible since the twig-thing is facing Yosef? If so, I'll do that the next round...)
Of course, if that's ok, then... I could just roll backstabbing damage THIS time... :D

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Argennian »

Yosef steels himself after the wooden construct's successful and damaging attack. He also sees Ancor and Bruard come under attack and realizes that the party is in a grave and dire situation, enemies to one side and a fall into the deep,icy water at the other. "Ancor, fall back if you can!" he cries as he repositions himself to duck the creature's club-like swing.

As the elf contemplates pulling the wand or using a spell, he sees an opening and takes advantage, using all of his adrenaline-flooded strength in a massive thrust:

Yosef's 2nd spear attack (does NOT include magical bonus):
[1d20] = 19

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=2457

Ogre spear damage vs small/medium creatures (does NOT include magical bonus):
[1d6] = 6 + ??

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=2458

OOC: sorry for the hold up, gang. Two very brutal days in a row... :(
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – Start of Round 2 with the Creatures o' Wood

In a spectacular show of flying woody limbs all 4 creatures miss their marks, as the last of them moves forward to attack Derek. [grumpydm]Only one roll even had a chance of hitting Ancor, unfortunately that was Jeloon's creature.[/grumpydm]

Jeloon matches that spectacularosity with her own swing and a miss. But she hears grunts of success behind her as Till and Yosef connect to bring down their creature into a bundle of disconnected sticks. Which brings up the fact that Creature #1 on Ancor, is likely unaware of Till being behind it. :)

Bruard delivers a blow that has his mace sending splinters all over. The creature in front of him is obviously hurt but continues on for more attacks.

Ancor seeing Bruard's worried glances and hearing Yosef's direction, snaps out of his pain filled trance and starts to move backwards, fumbling to draw his sword. The creature just follows him moving to attack again.

I'll need Derek's to hit and damage roll for this round. Vok can attack the creature moving in. Once I get that, the creatures get a second attack to end Round 2.

Round 3 will be a 2 attack round for Derek and Jeloon, so initiative will matter. And I'm going to rule the backstab in for Ancor's creature. His full back is to Till, he isn't fully aware Till is there, and he's moving away. Make it count though ;)

Consumables: Arrow of Light (Till at hip): 18 minutes, 20' radius; Light on a Stick (back at base camp) 43 minutes, Torch - out (Ancor) 30 minutes left, 40' radius; Lantern (Till) 3 hours, 38 minutes left, 30' radius.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#60 Post by Alethan »

So... after Derek makes his attack (and possible damage) roll, and after the creatures make their second attack (what's up with THAT?)...

Party initiative is...
Initiative [1d6] = 6

Till's next To Hit roll...
To Hit, Backstab [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24

Damage, Backstab (Shortsword, S/M) [1d6x3] = 6x3 = 18

(Howdy Doody! You said 'make it count'!)

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”