Rider of Rohan

Re: COMBAT

#2 Post by onlyme »

Gelatinous Q wrote:Orcs @ Grimleaf Forest: Round 1

Initiative
Orcs: 1

I hope this one works

[1d6] = 6
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Nuke66 »

"Who wants to circle around and cut off any retreat? None can survive."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

"Aye, I'm no good at this distance," he judges how far away they are from the orcs, "but even you lads with the short bows are going to have a rough time hitting them from behind the trees at this distance."

He thinks for a second, "What if three of us stay up here to keep their attention while the others circle around and come at them from their blind side? Ulf, Glogs - you two want to circle around with me and we'll try to cut off their retreat? Once we get into position, we won't be able to attack if the rest of you are still flinging those arrows at them, so stop shooting at the sound of my charge. And once we engage them, we'll need you to come along quickly, right?"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:"Aye, I'm no good at this distance," he judges how far away they are from the orcs, "but even you lads with the short bows are going to have a rough time hitting them from behind the trees at this distance."

He thinks for a second, "What if three of us stay up here to keep their attention while the others circle around and come at them from their blind side? Ulf, Glogs - you two want to circle around with me and we'll try to cut off their retreat? Once we get into position, we won't be able to attack if the rest of you are still flinging those arrows at them, so stop shooting at the sound of my charge. And once we engage them, we'll need you to come along quickly, right?"

That first step in a frontal is a dousy... Not sure how effective it would be to wait until they are on us to attempt that jump down. How can we use the height to our advantage? Thinking throwing some lamp oil down on them and tossing a lit arrow/torch, something?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote:
Alethan wrote:"Aye, I'm no good at this distance," he judges how far away they are from the orcs, "but even you lads with the short bows are going to have a rough time hitting them from behind the trees at this distance."

That first step in a frontal is a dousy... Not sure how effective it would be to wait until they are on us to attempt that jump down. How can we use the height to our advantage? Thinking throwing some lamp oil down on them and tossing a lit arrow/torch, something?
Height difference or no, 120 yards is more than the length of a football field... That puts it at long range for short bows and medium range for light crossbows and long bows... and no range for the likes of a thrown vial of oil or a lit torch.

It seems more like they're hunkering down and going to shoot at us from afar; I think with 50% cover, and that kind of distance, there will be a lot of wasted arrows and bolts between the two groups (assuming we likewise take cover behind trees). Plus, if they try to flee, then they'll have a huge head start. I agree with Nuke... we're going to have to send some people around to cut them off. Tossing oil and lighting it might be an option later on... but not from where the party is currently.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote: Height difference or no, 120 yards is more than the length of a football field... That puts it at long range for short bows and medium range for light crossbows and long bows... and no range for the likes of a thrown vial of oil or a lit torch.

It seems more like they're hunkering down and going to shoot at us from afar; I think with 50% cover, and that kind of distance, there will be a lot of wasted arrows and bolts between the two groups (assuming we likewise take cover behind trees). Plus, if they try to flee, then they'll have a huge head start. I agree with Nuke... we're going to have to send some people around to cut them off. Tossing oil and lighting it might be an option later on... but not from where the party is currently.
That makes sense. However, if they wanted to escape, not sure how we could get around them in time.
I assume the tree cover isnt great, if 120 yards away, the trees provide 50% cover at best. They will likely be able to spot our movements, and have a huge advantage picking us off with their crossbows. Not sure if there is any other way, however.

Maybe we could "ignore" them for a bit, and start moving on a few yards down the path. Hopefully they will think we thought better than to fight them. Possibly have one or two stay put or backtrack a bit as we do it. Then, they can cover the rear flank as we progress?

Any magic that is of use here?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

Nope, not here. I have some spells available to me that might work to our benefit, but the range on them is pretty poor (3 yards or so). Or I could heal them... but I'd rather not.

We DO have three thief/assassin types in the group who could hide in shadows and attempt to make their way to them undetected.

Bran could always try to do some taunting to draw their attention. Nothing like a good dwarf taunt to irritate some orcs.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Stregghi: "The head of the ravine rises to meet the trail about 100 yards ahead. The descent would be much easier there." He reaches beneath his robe and produces a club of stout, knotty oak. "And as the tomb still lies most of a day's ride away, I'm not beholden to our pacifist vow." He grins.
Failure is always an option.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Nuke66 »

OCC: I have a longbow, but only a couple dozen arrows.

I can provide cover fire, but just enough to keep them occupied

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by onlyme »

Gelatinous Q wrote:Stregghi: "The head of the ravine rises to meet the trail about 100 yards ahead. The descent would be much easier there." He reaches beneath his robe and produces a club of stout, knotty oak. "And as the tomb still lies most of a day's ride away, I'm not beholden to our pacifist vow." He grins.

I think we should move forward these 100 yards before we try to descend upon them. Let one (especially one of the double mounted, so we still look as we are entirely leaving) hide and wait, while the rest move on. That protects our rear somewhat, while the rest of us can get to a place we can attack in a more favorable manner.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by Alethan »

Sounds good to me. Ulf, then, maybe? He and Bran are the double-mounted and he has better hiding skills...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by rredmond »

Glogs is in favor of a more advantageous position.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Argennian »

Savik will go along with the others, taking whatever position he needs to help make their plan go forward. Whether this involves him providing cover fire, sneaking around the flank or just moving "casually" away, he offers to go along without hesitation.

He'll also keep his bow and an arrow at the ready, hoping to get much closer so that he'll have a better chance of success when the action starts.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Nuke66 »

Initially thought where we are was advantagous.

However, once the sneak attack begins, we cannot get to the group quick enough.

So, we all should continue the the point Stregghi recommends, find some cover, and let the three sneak away up the path to prepare for our advance.

I have entangle available, so I can get in range to cast, then we can charge. I doubt crossbows will be much good to them.

emirikol57
Strider
Strider

#16 Post by emirikol57 »

Ulf is willing to stay and hide to protect the rear.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by Alethan »

Ok, so Ulf will stay behind while the others lead or ride their mounts along the ridge 100 yards to the easier place to descend.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Nuke66 »

Gordon retrieves his horse, and walks up the path, taking care to not be in clear sight of the crossbows.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by onlyme »

Nuke66 wrote:Gordon retrieves his horse, and walks up the path, taking care to not be in clear sight of the crossbows.
Iomhar does likewise...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Argennian »

Savik nods to Ulf and retrieves his horse as well. He'll take a quick reconnoiter about their perimeter to see if he notices any others watching or approaching.

He will then head out behind the others, walking his horse as well but keeping his bow and an arrow to hand. If the orcs begin to move up or fire upon them, the elf will quickly lead his horse to the opposite side of the road and out of sight as much as possible, and then look for a fire position.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Return to “1E Greyhawk: Strange Days in Ratik”