CHAPTER THREE: What the dead mage said

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: CHAPTER THREE: What the dead mage said

#161 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Satisfied that you've seen all there is to see in the antechamber, Stregghi grabs one of the torches on the north wall, and you move into the hallway.

The walls of the tomb are cold, unadorned granite. Wall sconces are set every 12' or so. After about 65' (@ one turn of movement), two 10' wide hallways branch off to the left and right, while the main hallway you're in continues to the north.

Actions?
~~~~~~~~~
Marching order:

Bran | Glogs
Savik | Ulf
Iomhar | Stregghi
Gordon
Failure is always an option.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#163 Post by Alethan »

Bran turns back and looks to Stregghi and asks, "Any idea where this bloke's bones are resting?"

If he doesn't know, Bran adds, "Well, it sure ain't gonna be in one of these side rooms. An' we're not here to loot the place, so lets keep heading straight."

But as they pass the intersection, Bran looks to his left to see what is down the side passage.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by onlyme »

Iomhar quietly stows his bow and grabs hold of his sword, ready for more orcs to ambush them as they pass the intersection.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by hedgeknight »

Ulf follows along with his companions, one hand on his short sword, the other trailing along the wall looking overhead and underfoot for any unusual markings or what he thinks might be some sort of trap.
Winter is coming...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Argennian »

Savik keeps his bow and arrow at the ready in one hand and his other hand free to make a somatic gesture, if needed. "Don't know who this Vargahsh fellow is," the elf whispers, "but if we can get the drop on him, perhaps I can use my charms to make his acquaintance?"

(previous post from when we dropped the two orc sentries)
Argennian wrote:Savik readies another arrow as he moves up quickly with the others. He'll check to see if any of their missiles can be recovered while keeping an ear to their cleric guide for his answer to Bran's query.
OOC: GQ, was Savik ever able to retrieve any of his or the others' arrows there?
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#167 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Argennian wrote:OOC: GQ, was Savik ever able to retrieve any of his or the others' arrows there?
Yes, he was able to salvage both.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#168 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Alethan wrote:Bran turns back and looks to Stregghi and asks, "Any idea where this bloke's bones are resting?"
"Nay," Stregghi replies. "The situation of the mage's crypt within the tomb was a secret known only to the mage himself, the dwûr-folk who carved it into the rock, and the high priest who laid him to rest."
Alethan wrote:But as they pass the intersection, Bran looks to his left to see what is down the side passage.
Stregghi's torch jams your infravision, but in the torchlight you can make out a door on the south wall about 30' down the hall.
~~~

You continue north for another 60' (1 turn) before the hallway empties into a large room, 50'x60'. In the center of the room is a sarcophagus; its lid lies upside down on the floor next to it.
You also notice, huddled behind the left side of the sarcophagus, a youngish (perhaps teenaged?) looking orc, whimpering and shaking uncontrollably. When he sees you're not orcs, he shrieks and throws himself at your feet.

"Please to let Vargahsh go!" he cries in a sort of pidgin Common. "Please! No sword! I leave now, before snake comes. Terrible snake! Please to let Vargahsh pass! Never come back!"

Actions?
~~~~~~~~~
Marching order:

Bran | Gordon
Savik | Ulf
Iomhar | Stregghi
Glogs

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by rredmond »

Glogs looks behind him expecting a surprise snake attack. Which way did the snake go Orc? he asks the terrified orc
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by onlyme »

Iomhar feels every hair stand up. Snakes... he looks around, sword ready. For the snake or an orc if its a ruse.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Argennian »

"Stay your weapons, friends," Savik whispers to his companions as he steps forward, makes a somatic gesture with his free hand and casts his charm person spell on the cowering orc.

"What snake, friend Vargahsh? Where is it now?" the elf asks in orcish as he kneels down to console the trembling orc youth. He gives him a thorough scrutinization when he leans down close.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by hedgeknight »

Ulf moves into the room and pulls a thin wand from his belt. Pointing at the sarcophagus while standing a few feet away, he says,"Avabreyhu..."
Winter is coming...

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#173 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Argennian wrote:"Stay your weapons, friends," Savik whispers to his companions as he steps forward, makes a somatic gesture with his free hand and casts his charm person spell on the cowering orc.

"What snake, friend Vargahsh? Where is it now?" the elf asks in orcish as he kneels down to console the trembling orc youth. He gives him a thorough scrutinization when he leans down close.
Vargahsh's save vs. magic: [1d20] = 2

The charm takes effect on the young orc, calming him but slightly.

"Thank you, olven friend, thank you!" he exclaims, embracing Savik's legs. "May Gruumsh One-Eye pave your steps with the crushed bones of your enemies!" He points to the passage in the NE (top right) corner of the room. "Snake is back there. I will show you. We kill snake, yes!"
hedgeknight wrote:Ulf moves into the room and pulls a thin wand from his belt. Pointing at the sarcophagus while standing a few feet away, he says,"Avabreyhu..."
Meanwhile, upon the utterance of the trigger word, Ulf's wand illuminates a hidden panel at the base of the sarcophagus, beneath the head...

OOC: wand of secret door & trap detection -1 charge; new total: 10

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by onlyme »

Iomhar is still a bit worried about this snake thing. He holds fast the sword and readies himself for an attack.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by hedgeknight »

Gelatinous Q wrote:
hedgeknight wrote:Ulf moves into the room and pulls a thin wand from his belt. Pointing at the sarcophagus while standing a few feet away, he says,"Avabreyhu..."
Meanwhile, upon the utterance of the trigger word, Ulf's wand illuminates a hidden panel at the base of the sarcophagus, beneath the head...
Ulf moves cautiously to the head of the sarcophagus and checks the hidden panel for traps...before opening it.
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#176 Post by Alethan »

Bran tries to approach the orc to ask it questions of the snake, but... even under the influence of a charm spell, he cannot bring himself to speak with such a creature. Instead, he readies his battle axe and keeps a sharp eye on the northeast passage, hoping another will ask about the size and type of snake...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Argennian »

Gelatinous Q wrote:... "Thank you, olven friend, thank you!" he exclaims, embracing Savik's legs. "May Gruumsh One-Eye pave your steps with the crushed bones of your enemies!" He points to the passage in the NE (top right) corner of the room. "Snake is back there. I will show you. We kill snake, yes!" ...
"He says there is some kind of snake in yonder passage," Savik announces in common for his companions that don't speak orcish, and points with his bow towards the northeast passage (top right) that the orc just indicated.

The elf then turns to smile all friendly-like back at his pathetic little charmed orc. "Quickly now, friend Vargahsh, what kind of snake is it and how big? Is there any other dangers in here?" he asks in orcish.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#178 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Argennian wrote: The elf then turns to smile all friendly-like back at his pathetic little charmed orc. "Quickly now, friend Vargahsh, what kind of snake is it and how big? Is there any other dangers in here?" he asks in orcish.
"Snake slither in while we sleep and kill many fierce orcs in his coils. Even Hraathgwür! Big snake, very big." Vargahsh turns and points at Glogs. "Big as four of him.

"Orcs not be happy to see humans and olven and dwûr. But we not as many as we were. Some killed by fire. Some killed by snake. Some run away. Vargahsh almost run away til my olven friend saved me!" He hugs Savik again. "We kill snake now! Yes!"
hedgeknight wrote:Ulf moves cautiously to the head of the sarcophagus and checks the hidden panel for traps...before opening it.
Ulf doesn't find anything suspicious about the panel. It is easily removed with a pick and chisel from your thieves tool kit. Behind it is a recess and what appears to be a foot pedal in the floor.

OOC: assuming you're using the wand for trap detection: -1 charge; now down to 9

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by onlyme »

as big as four... Glogs?
Is about all Iomhar can say...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by rredmond »

I doubt as natty, Glogs chimes in, pulling a crooked ruffle back out from under his sleeve.

Is Glogs big too? Sheesh, y'all are really making me ROLE play... where's my frickin' dice?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Return to “1E Greyhawk: Strange Days in Ratik”