-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: V. Town of Belhaim

#202 Post by dmw71 »

The group travels mostly in silence as they begin their return to Belhaim. They watch as the fallen tower and Hunclay's Manor pass off to the left as they continue to follow Old Quarry Road into town proper. As the safely enter town, Carlo and Sela, the two peddlers of religious charms, profusely thank the group for their release, but take their leave and set out on their own as they have much overdue business elsewhere. The third freed slave, Bophre Malak, shares that her family has a farm just south of Verduran Fork, along the Verduran Highway, and her pace quickens as the group's progress takes them past their inn and over the bridge spanning the Verduran Fork. "Home..." Bophre says as her family's farm comes into view (#1)
Belhaim East.png
Belhaim East.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 813 times
Working in the field is a tall, young woman with lean build, pale skin, and long, flowing red hair. She and Sorsha exchange glances, but the pair don't seem to recognize one another, and the young woman keeps working as the group passes. Bophre's pace quickens to a near run and she makes her way home well in front of anyone else. "Mama," she calls, and an instant later, a middle-aged woman hurries out the front door and the two meet just outside the front entrance and exchange a long, loving embrace.

Bophre's mother, Isadorer, thanks the group warmly and insists they come inside where she is just finishing a feast. "Sorsha," Isadorer calls, waving the ginger-haired girl at work in. "Please, come join us -- it's a celebration!"

Not accepting "no" for an answer, the group is led inside the farmhouse for a delicious, home-cooked feast. Bophre, after a warm shower, joins everyone at the table, where she and Sorsha are introduced. "Sorsha's been helping me 'round here," her mother explains, and Bophre shares the details of her capture and period of enslavement.

"Please," Isadorer starts. "What brings you into town, and how can I ever repay you for returning my daughter?"

Actions?

We don't need to drag this out for too long, but I wanted to give you a chance to role-play this a bit if you'd like.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote:

"Please," Isadorer starts. "What brings you into town, and how can I ever repay you for returning my daughter?"
Fulp answers,
Well Ma'am, we were asked to clear the area of those pesky kobolds and were able to safely retrieve your daughter in the process. We still have work to do, which you might be able to assist.

Do you know why they are kidnapping? Has something happened between the townsfolks and their group recently that is causing such atrocities?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#204 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow stays quiet during the meal. He watches the actions of Sorsha closely, looking for any further signs of other emotions from the red locked female.

He compliments the chef.
This meal is fit for a king, ma'am. Thank you kindly for your fine hospitality.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#205 Post by Alethan »

Ciar shrugs at Isadorer's question of repayment, "We're just doing our job. Hopefully it will be over soon and the kobolds will be dead or run off. Of course, we might be looking for something to do at that point, so if you know of any work that might suit us, that would be helpful. Of course, if you have anything to sooth some of these wounds, I wouldn't say no..."

Otherwise, Ciar relaxes and tries to enjoy the home cooked meal.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#206 Post by dmw71 »

During the feast, Fulp responds first to Isadorer's inquiry, informing her that the group was asked to clear the area of the pesky kobolds, and it was while doing so that they were able to rescue her daughter. When asked about kobolds, or kidnapping, Isadorer looks puzzled. "I've never seen one in my life," she admits, unaware they were a problem in the area. "Maybe livin' south of the Fork has kept us safe?" she wonders.

At the mention of repayment, Ciar simply shrugs. "We're just doing our job," he says. "Speaking of which, hopefully the kobolds will be dead or run off soon and we might be looking for something to do at that point --," The lady farmer sighs. Withh regret in her voice, she mentions that, with Bophie's return, she won't be hurting for help. [dilaog]"I'll be sure to ask about town the next time I need somethin',"[/dialog] she volunteers. "Regardin' any aches 'n pains you may be feelin', I can offer you a safe nights rest, and meals, but the only remedy we have here is time... and this bread," she jokes, tearing off another piece from a warm loaf, coating it with a generous layer of butter, before passing the loaf of bread and sliding the plate of butter across the table in the halfling's direction.

The rest of the group remains largely quiet, minds still filled of thoughts of the most recent experiences, including the passing of a companion. Sparrow seems to pay close attention to Sorsha, and definitely notices her interest piqued whenever the subject of kobolds is addressed.

Finally, as the meal is coming to a close, the previously quiet Sorsha announces that, with the return of Bophre to the family home, she doesn't want to overstay her welcome. "Your hospitality has been appreciated," she says politely to Isadorer, who is about to protest, "But you need to spend time with your daughter now, not showing me around a farm.... where I'm not sure I'm best suited" she continues.

"Perhaps," she says after a pause, "I could accompany you," she says to the group at large. "When you return to kill of the kobolds." In a flash, the not-as-innocent-as-she-seems young woman produces a dagger from a sheath concealed on her thigh and tosses it, spinning end-over-end, until it sinks point-first into one of the load-bearing beams supporting the roof, eliciting shocked looks, especially from Isadorer.

Actions?
-- Project --
-- DM --

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#207 Post by saalaria »

Grim merely raises an eyebrow whilst continuing to chew his food.
He then looks around quiizzically while eating, unsure if this is normal human female behaviour.
He clears his throat:
"Well baked bread is always hard to find these days. This 'uns amazin'."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote: Sorsha announces...
"Perhaps," she says after a pause, "I could accompany you," she says to the group at large. "When you return to kill of the kobolds."
Fulp nods his head and answers,
I have no doubts you can handle yourself against a hoard of kobolds, my dear. But, how do you think you might fare when you and your blade face a pack of rats? Those things are the real killers.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#209 Post by Alethan »

Ciar winces as the thrown dagger sticks in the wood, memories of daggers sticking out of his back still fresh in his mind.

"Just as important to know when to NOT throw your dagger, I think... you useful with anything else? A dagger's a good weapon, but a sword is better for keeping them at a distance."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#210 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow agrees with the sentiments of Ciar.

Thats some impressive knife tossing there. Do you have any skills in the arcane arts? We could use someone to replace our lost gnome friend.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#211 Post by dmw71 »

"I prefer a light tool to a long, unwieldly blade." Sorsha says pulling another dagger from a sheath. "And if I choose poorly when to throw, I usually have another around."

Turning to Sparrow, "I'm sure no one could replace your companion and I'm sorry for loss. I've no skill with the otherworldly, but am anxious to make my way with what I do know."

"One cannot test the waters without dipping a toe."
she offers to the group as a whole.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#212 Post by Alethan »

Ciar shrugs, "Just as long as you don't throw one of those things in my back, I don't have any problem with it. Anyone else object?"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by AleBelly »

Sylvan, long silent, speaks up. "We aren't babysitters, you understand. Those little bastards'll kill you as soon as look at you. I have no objections if it's not any more likely to get me killed."

Away from their new potential recruit, Sylvan speaks with the others about the healing wand. "Since we're back in town, I suggest we recover naturally. We should use the wand sparingly; these items aren't commonly available and we should be prudent with the use of such things. A couple of days will also give me a chance to find a companion that could aid our cause."
Really sorry for the delay. Work's been crazy, just recently returned to school and I had the final round of Jeopardy! tryouts today...

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#214 Post by saalaria »

"Aye no objections from me... though will daggers be enough? We had plenty o' trouble with these in our 'ands."
Grim pats his axe.
He returns to eating and drinking.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by onlyme »

Fulp listens to the conversations and agrees.

Name's Fulp by the way. Welcome to our gang/group/whatever it is we are. What skills you say you have besides flinging back-stabbers?

and to Slyvan,
I agree we should be prudent with the wand. Now that we have returned to town, I feel guilty asking for the last one. However, had just one more of those filthy rodent packs attacked us, I believe I would have been carried into town like our poor Kassal.

I believe we should report back at the inn and see if the baroness wants to hear our update.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#216 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow joins in with the introductions.

Im Sparrow. Some call me bird. Don't mind my dark skin, I'm not a Drow I assure you. I look this way because I am from the tropical islands far to the south. Yes, I am a long ways from home but, I am learning a lot about this area now and I've grown quite fond of it to tell you the truth.

I for one welcome another hand in our fight against the evil that rapes this land.

He continues to the whole party.
I think we should head back to the quarry as soon as possible. Maybe even tomorrow. Those little bastards multiply like rats and I'm sure our hard work of cleaning out the first few caves will be in vain if we wait to long to return.

Perhaps the Barroness will be able to get some of the tows clergy to heal our wounds today so we may get back out there faster?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#217 Post by Alethan »

"Aye," Ciar agrees, "We need to heal up quickly and get back to it before they have a chance to fortify their positions. If there are more rats, maybe they'll gorge themselves on the dead and be less apt to fight when we return."

Turning to Sorsha, he adds, "I'm Ciar, by the way." He studies her closely for a moment. "You look familiar, for some reason... Has your likeness ever been up on a poster before? Maybe in Sandpoint or somewhere thereabouts?"

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#218 Post by dmw71 »

Despite warnings from Sylvan, and instructions from Ciar to not place thrown blades in his back, the group officially welcome the red-headed knife tosser into their numbers. 'What skills you say you have besides flinging back-stabbers? Fulp asks the newcomer after making introductions. "I doubt I've any skill, outside of knife work, you'd find of use." she replies while rising to retrieve her stuck dagger. "But I've gotta start somewhere.... I'm not made for farm work, beggin' your pardon, Isadorer." The lady farmer takes no offense. As Ciar mentions her familiarity, Sorsha she takes on a bit of a defeated look. "I'm of no great beauty or wealth to warrant a painting, sir." she admits, casting her gaze to her feet. "You mentioned Sandpoint. It is my birth home...and..." pausing briefly, "I was a dancing girl in the theatre there for a few summers." she admits, looking at Ciar for signs of recognition, and at the others for any hint of disappointment. Her earlier confidence seemingly giving way to insecurity.

With several members of the group still dealing with various injuries, everyone agrees to return to town to check in with the Baroness, whom can hopefully offer them some healing services. Or, worst case, spend a few nights resting and healing, which Sparrow cautions against, noting how their hard work of cleaning out the first few caves will be in vain the longer they wait to return.

Returning to town, the group first stops at the 'Wise Piper' where they're greeted by Talia, who agrees to let the newcomer assume Kassal's old room, which Sorsha quickly settles into. Once everyone has had an opportunity to recover and stow their possessions in their rooms, the quickly set up to pay a visit to the Baroness.

Baroness Devy, pleased with reports of the groups progress so far, urges a quick return, and arranges for her priest to provide healing to Ciar and Sparrow, the two members most in need, leaving the two feeling restored, and everyone close to full strength. "You can leave again by tomorrow, yes?" she asks, which the party is able to agree to.

---

Okay, anything anyone want to do in town before setting off, now's your chance to let me know. Also, spell casters, please update your list of memorized spells.
-- Project --
-- DM --

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by AleBelly »

"I suppose there's little you can do for our gnomish friend?" asks Sylvan doubtfully to the baroness? "I won't set out again until his body is at least cared for respectfully. Gnomes come from the earth - seems a logical resting place."

Before bedding down for the night, Sylvan wants to discuss tactics with the group. "Having an creature of the earth on our side could come in useful in the kobold caves. So if I encounter one, I plan to use my powers to befriend it. Problem is, it takes awhile. With all you always in a dang hurry, figured I'd better talk to you first. Kobolds won't get much done in an hour - figure the wait's worth it. I'm also going to prepare another enchantment that can make me and another invisible to animals for awhile. Might be useful for scouting and avoiding hungry rats. And a spell to help us before entering combat. Now if you have other plans, now's the time to talk about 'em."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#220 Post by Alethan »

Ciar adds, "Just a reminder that we should try and get at least one ranged attack in before engaging in melee, if possible. So if you don't have a weapon you can throw or shoot or toss, then you might consider buying one before you leave town. And if you aren't able to do that, for whatever reason, then try and let the others get a round off before you charge into a fight."

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”