Action Thread 5

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 5

#41 Post by Alethan »

OOC: At one point, I think I mentioned seeing if you would cast Detect Magic on the door to see if it was trapped in any way, but it was just one of the suggestions during the discussion.

Then I think someone mentioned waiting to cast Detect Magic on the spear until we were in front of the door so we could do both at the same time...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by rredmond »

Sorry I thought it was agreed upon. If not let me know, it could be running into the crypt, or you can save it.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:
I'm confused... I don't remember saying I was going to cast a spell. Did I miss something?
Toni, it was me that actually started us down this path, over in the strategy thread. It was my insistance that we had this spell ready for when we entered the tomb.

I know that when we were strategizing, I felt like it was important to have some redundancy with Till's Find Traps ability at the main portal to the tomb. For some reason I had convinced myself that there was some form of magical trap, especially in light of who I think is inside. Since the DM usually makes this roll for the player, their PC doesn't know for sure that there isn't a trap present, so I had thought it a good idea of using a Detect Magic spell, especially if Till didn't see something obvious (ie make his FT roll). Looking back, it seems I kinda asked you to pray for a Detect Magic spell and then told you when you should cast it! Apologies for that, man! :oops:

Going forward, if you wanted to save your spell for a later time or even to have memorized something different, I'm more than happy to have had Yosef put Detect Magic on his roster and use it here instead. It was me that had the paranoid certainty of being able to absolutely, positively find a trap there, so let me be the one to have me PC pony up and put his gp where his mouth is!
(I'm sure Ron would be cool with this)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#44 Post by ToniXX »

No worries, Argennian. Since it's done, let's just consider the spell cast and move on. I'd like to get into this crypt and start bashing heads sooner than later ;)
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:No worries, Argennian. Since it's done, let's just consider the spell cast and move on. I'd like to get into this crypt and start bashing heads sooner than later ;)
OOC: Agreed, and cheers, ToniXX! <*Cues Judas Priest "Some Heads are Gonna Role!" in preparation*> 8-)

Now that I have access to the OSRIC rules again (woot!), I notice that the clerical version of Detect Magic has a longer duration (1 turn) than Yosef's magic-user version (2 rounds/level), at least at his current level (3rd lvl = 6 rounds). That will give us 4 more minutes longer duration and hopefully a better chance of detecting something present once we make it inside! :ugeek:

Yosef thinks that Till's idea of how to manage the door to the tomb is a brilliant one and he quickly acts to assist them in the preparations.

When the rope is tied and made to be pulled, the elf will ready himself. He'll move to the side of the cavern that the door will open to first and as far back as he can but still be within clear visual range. He keeps the ogre's former magical spear laying up against the stone wall of the cavern right next to him for quick access and draws the Wand of Fire. He wants one hand free to cast a Magic MIssile spell, if needed, and the other to have the wand to hand for immediate deployment, just in case a ghost, mummy, lich or worse is already awaiting them! :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Sounds like we're at least mostly agreed (those that have chimed in, anyway). Let's go with it.

IC: Till says, "On three... one... two... three... pull!"

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#47 Post by Vokarius »

Derek pulls.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by rredmond »

The heavy stone door swings open easily releasing cool air into the ogre's cave. A dark hall leads into blackness. The only thing you note from beyond the darkness is a faint sount of dripping water echoing in the distance. It looks like a hall that heads further in to the mountain.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#49 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:The heavy stone door swings open easily releasing cool air into the ogre's cave. A dark hall leads into blackness. The only thing you note from beyond the darkness is a faint sount of dripping water echoing in the distance. It looks like a hall that heads further in to the mountain.
We'll block the door open as previously indicated.

Then we'll line up into the marching order as previously indicated.

Till
Jeloon Derek
Ancor
Bruard Yosef

Till will light a torch off of Ancor's lantern and maintain a lead of 5 yards or so ahead of Jeloon and Derek. He'll start with a precursory scan of the ceiling, walls, and floor before stepping into the hallway.

He will proceed cautiously until the first notable feature comes into range of torch light (an intersection, a door, indentations or a grate in the wall - anything that isn't the same as the normal walls, ceiling, and floor.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by rredmond »

Day 11 – entering the Crypt

Yosef and Till do their thing, thoroughly checking every inch of the cave and the ledge. Till pays particular attention to The door is easily blocked open, though it doesn't try to close itself. The hall is definitely purposefully cut into the mountain, about 10' wide, little less than twice as high.

Till is heading in and staying 25 feet or so ahead of everyone else. I'm assuming everyone else to be 5 or 10 feet apart. Before the rest of the party can even get into the hall, Till sees the source of dripping, about 30' in the ceiling has drips, as far as he can tell it continues down the hall. Also Till can see, though the hallway continues past 50 feet from the entrance, it is at that point that the hall itself seems to start deeply descending.

Other than the drips, the hall is straight in, dark, and unremarkable.

HPs: Jeloon - 27/29; Till - 31/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19
MO: 1- Till; 2 - Jeloon & Derek; 3 - Ancor; 4 - Yosef & Bruard
Consumables: Detect Magic (Bruard); Torch (Till)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#51 Post by Alethan »

Staying about 15 feet ahead of the party, Till examines the area around the dripping water to make sure there aren't any pressure traps near it (ahead of it first, then immediately after it). If he doesn't notice anything unusual, then he'll move forward, only pausing where it starts descending steeply to again check for traps.

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#52 Post by Vokarius »

Derek keeps an eye out on his side for any thing odd....

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by rredmond »

OOC:
Alethan wrote:Staying about 15...
just seeing if you were paying attention. ;) Sorry about the mistype, more later today.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#54 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:OOC:
Alethan wrote:Staying about 15...
just seeing if you were paying attention. ;) Sorry about the mistype, more later today.

:) I rarely "skim"... unless its a work-related e-mail.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#55 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote: HPs: Jeloon - 27/29; Till - 31/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19
MO: 1- Till; 2 - Jeloon & Derek; 3 - Ancor; 4 - Yosef & Bruard
Consumables: Detect Magic (Bruard); Torch (Till)
(Don't forget Derek!)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#56 Post by Alethan »

(Till earns his pay...)

Closely examining the floor of the hallway before and after the area of dripping water, Till suddenly holds up his hands to signal the rest of the party to stop. He returns to the group and explains what he's found...

"There appears to be a trap up ahead. It looks like a section of the floor just past the dripping water will pivot at some point , with the end nearest us going towards the ceiling and the end furthest away dropping down. I assume the person (or persons) caught with the trap will slide down into a pit of some kind. I doubt it would be enjoyable."

Here is Till's suggestion for getting past the trap:

"The ceiling is a bit less than 20' tall. We should send two people out to cut down a tall and thin tree (obviously, something a bit taller than 20'). Then we'll trim the height to just a bit under 20'. Checking to see where the seam is in the floor is, we can brace the pole against the ceiling so that it prevents the floor from tilting. We might even consider using two poles to brace it, one on either side of the hallway, if we can find two trees of the right dimensions."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Argennian »

Yosef raises both eyebrows as his steadfast halfling companion explains what he has found.

"A timely discovery, Till. Your vigilance has prevented a possible catastrophe here. Well done, once again!

I believe the idea of using trees from the ledge to hold that shifting portion of the passage is an innovative yet simple solution. We should get to work on that right away, friends!"

OOC: how much rope do we have between us, guys? Trying to go back and recheck threads on this bloody smartphone would take forever! :roll:

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by rredmond »

OOC: you have 200' of rope, everyone brought 50'... except for one, some kooky elf brought only twine
:lol:

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:OOC: you have 200' of rope, everyone brought 50'... except for one, some kooky elf brought only twine
:lol:
OOC: yes, well umm, uhh, you never know when you might need a trip wire or such... :roll:

Stupid elves! :oops: :lol:

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#60 Post by Vokarius »

OOC: We have an elf in the party?

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”