Action Thread 5

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 5

#21 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:;) see the strategy thread though for a possible rewind

HPs: Jeloon - 27/29; Till - 31/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19
Day 10 (TOD: @ noon): As soon as the party makes their way back to camp and gets settled in, Yosef will let the others know his intention to get almost 5 hours rest, in order to memorize Detect Magic and Read Magic.

As soon as he comes around, he'll get something to eat and drink and relax for awhile while the campfire is getting going.

Before it gets dark, Yosef will cast Detect Magic on the ogre's spear, and any other items not previously checked while the spell is still active. Once done with that, he'll ask Till to see Wergrim's map and will cast Read Magic, hoping that something on the map might per chance be displayed. If it does, he'll read whatever magical words or symbols become visible. If it does not, he'll check Jeloon's sword and Wergrim's axe (and the ogre spear if determined to be magical) to see if he can determine anything about its power-level, maker, enchantment, etc.

Afterwards, while the others settle down for dinner and Till shares his incredible feat and what else happened with Van, Eyman and Rosin, Yosef will revel in the humor, cammaraderie and high spirits of the party. He thinks hard on what spells he should memorize for their foray into the tomb.

When he can get a moment with just Bruard, Till and Jeloon, he'll ask the cleric what spells he's planning on praying for. Yosef will share and list his options available before he replentishes his roster. He'd like to see if Bruard is planing on having a Detect Magic available.
~ If he is, Yosef will plan on memorizing two Magic Missile spells to go with his retained Mirror Image, after another four and a half hours of uninterrupted rest.
~ If he is not, the elf will memorize it and one M.M.

Yosef agrees with Till about the party's continued practice of having 2 people on watch at a time and will ask Derek to share his shift with him. Once dawn creeps upon them and the sun lights their camp, Yosef will nod to Derek that he's going to prepare some food for the others.

Day 11: Yosef, after a quick session covering off on their tactical situation and offering some respectful encouragement to all, stows his extra waterskin and one of the backup quivers with arrows on his person. He makes his way carefully up the trail with his fellow tomb robbers and assembles before the barred door. "My friends, we should leave that doorstop handy, just in case we have to retreat and find it a necessary option. I will have a quick look around..."

The elf will set down his pack and do a careful and comprehensive search for any secret or hidden doors around the cave area, being careful not to touch or disturb the main portal in any way. He'll also go outside and check the outer face over the entire length of the ledge, just to be sure!

Once he's finally done with that, Yosef will get ready to back up Till as he completes his search of the main door for traps and tripwires.

OOC: Ron, please advise if this retcon is alright. As far as the Detect Magic and Read Magic spells go, I'm only going off what I know of 1E, so apologies offered in advance if I have the applications/processes incorrect here.

Wow, actually got it all there without hitting the return key this time! (And I can still be asleep by 2am!) Woot! :shock:
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#22 Post by Alethan »

OOC: All that on a smartphone?? Impressive! Well done, Argennian!

I think we'll be glad to have as many of your instant offensive spells (magic missile) as possible, if Bruard can ready the Detect Magic.

Question: Are any undead affected by the presence of daylight? If the Light spell creates a light similar to daylight, would it affect them? If so, should we consider that? IIRC, it has a fairly long duration. It will be nice when we can get Bruard up to level 5 and he can get the Continual Light spell! Then we just find a few stout staffs and have him cast it on them for permanent light sources (a technique I like to employ when possible; we can cover with black cloth when we need to shield it).
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#23 Post by ToniXX »

Ok, so I'll pray on a detect magic AND a CLW. I think that, with TWO magic missiles for Yosef, is a good combo.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:Ok, so I'll pray on a detect magic AND a CLW. I think that, with TWO magic missiles for Yosef, is a good combo.
Yosef cracks his very unelf-like smile, the one which he claims to have learned from his dear old human friend, Dravic.

"Done!" he exalts simply, with an enthusiasm not portrayed since they left the village almost 2 weeks past. "Let us get on with it then, brave companions! I will wish us luck in this!"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote:Ok, so I'll pray on a detect magic AND a CLW. I think that, with TWO magic missiles for Yosef, is a good combo.
You going to make the other two CLW, also, ToniXX?

Unless Vok (or Jeloon, I suppose) has anything else to add, I say we get the show on the road! Where were we? Oh...

Till and Yosef were examining the door and surrounding area for traps. The party had decided to wait until they were by the tomb entrance before casting detect magic on the spear, so Bruard could also examine the tomb entrance for magical wards, as well.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by rredmond »

Two quick questions before we head up, is this still occuring down at base camp?
Argennian wrote:Day 10 (TOD: @ noon): As soon as the party makes their way back to camp and gets settled in, Yosef will let the others know his intention to get almost 5 hours rest, in order to memorize Detect Magic and Read Magic.

As soon as he comes around, he'll get something to eat and drink and relax for awhile while the campfire is getting going.

Before it gets dark, Yosef will cast Detect Magic on the ogre's spear, and any other items not previously checked while the spell is still active. Once done with that, he'll ask Till to see Wergrim's map and will cast Read Magic, hoping that something on the map might per chance be displayed. If it does, he'll read whatever magical words or symbols become visible. If it does not, he'll check Jeloon's sword and Wergrim's axe (and the ogre spear if determined to be magical) to see if he can determine anything about its power-level, maker, enchantment, etc.
And, not yet, but we'll need the MO for when that doorstop is opened. It's the 5 PCs and Ancor, correct?

Thanks, then I'll move us forward.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#27 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote: You going to make the other two CLW, also, ToniXX?

Yes. One detect magic and three CLW

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:Two quick questions before we head up, is this still occuring down at base camp?
Argennian wrote:Day 10 (TOD: @ noon): As soon as the party makes their way back to camp and gets settled in, Yosef will let the others know his intention to get almost 5 hours rest, in order to memorize Detect Magic and Read Magic.

And, not yet, but we'll need the MO for when that doorstop is opened. It's the 5 PCs and Ancor, correct?

Thanks, then I'll move us forward.

Even though he doesn't have a magical weapon, I think Till needs to be the lead (just by a few yards this time, not 30) just to check for traps and such, so maybe...

Till
Jeloon Derek (both with lit swords)
Ancor (torch light)
Yosef Bruard

The plan will be that if Till comes across trouble then Jeloon and Derek will make room for him to slip back to the middle by Ancor. If there is need/time, then Jeloon and Derek can drop to a knee so Yosef can cast Magic Missile and Bruard can display his holy symbol for turning.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Argennian »

Yosef stands ready to assist Till and his companions, once his search for secret and concealed doors is completed.

He holds the ogre's spear but also keeps his magic missile spell to mind, just in case something goes down!

OOC: Yosef's character sheet is updated with memorized spells (2 magic missiles, 1 mirror image) and the ogre's (magical? :shock: ) spear.

Alethan: Since we were able to rememorize/repray, Yosef used his Detect Magic and Read Magic spell during Day 10. Bruard should still have his Detect Magic spell and full roster ready at the entrance. I think he could have still casted his remaining CLWs during Day 10, if he was so inclined.

Ron: do you have a weight for that spear? (Not sure what OSRIC lists but iirc, 1E says they can be between 40-60gp encumbrance)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote:
Alethan: Since we were able to rememorize/repray, Yosef used his Detect Magic and Read Magic spell during Day 10. Bruard should still have his Detect Magic spell and full roster ready at the entrance. I think he could have still casted his remaining CLWs during Day 10, if he was so inclined.
Good point. But I think Till's ok at 31 hp. I'd rather get going on with the tomb than go back and correct it.
Argennian wrote:
Ron: do you have a weight for that spear? (Not sure what OSRIC lists but iirc, 1E says they can be between 40-60gp encumbrance)
OSRIC PDF lists the encumbrance of a spear at "5". In comparison, it lists a long bow at "12".

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by rredmond »

OOC: quick phone post, more later but I have an early meeting and then need to shoot over to my other job to put in my work voucher. But since Arg insists on casting that dang Detect Magic at base camp on day 10...

Yosef is disappointed when the read magic reveals nothing on the map. No secret moon runes just a map noting a hard to see crypt entrance. But as he does his scan of new things, the magic you thought was magic shows, ax and spear, but a blue aura around Wergrim's shield catches your eye as well.

Figured I'd leave y'all with that info before moving you into the crypt. I'm hoping to post early afternoon to beat Al to his vacation.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by Alethan »

?? So the shield that Bruard has (Wergrim's magical shield), which we'd already determined was magical, is casting a different aura with the Read Magic spell? So it is indicating something new??

Hmmm...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by Alethan »

Alethan wrote:?? So the shield that Bruard has (Wergrim's magical shield), which we'd already determined was magical, is casting a different aura with the Read Magic spell? So it is indicating something new??

Hmmm...
Till examines Bruard's new shield more closely.

OOC: Can we get a description of what it looks like? Any specific decorations engraved or carved into it?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by rredmond »

OOC: My bad, the shield is magical, the blue aura is the detection of magic. I didn't mean to imply anything else. Darn phones.

Okay lets head on upstairs!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:OOC: My bad, the shield is magical, the blue aura is the detection of magic. I didn't mean to imply anything else. Darn phones.

Ah, ok. Sorry. Thought it was something new. Yes, up the stair! Examining the doorway for traps and magical bits!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:
rredmond wrote:OOC: My bad, the shield is magical, the blue aura is the detection of magic. I didn't mean to imply anything else. Darn phones.

Ah, ok. Sorry. Thought it was something new. Yes, up the stair! Examining the doorway for traps and magical bits!
OOC: Heh, all on me, typing without me notes and all. Taking a work breather now, so I should be able to fast forward us a bit.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by rredmond »

Day 11 – the Morn and entering the Crypt

Yosef and Till do their thing, thoroughly checking every inch of the cave and the ledge. Till pays particular attention to the Entrance to the Crypt. It is a carved stone door, as you do your FaRT thing you see that the boulders and logs, though heavy, aren’t wedged in place, and likely won’t be difficult for you all to move. But for all the checking and scanning and analyzing and poking (carefully) neither of you find anything. Ancor actually yawns at this point, but quickly stifles it with his torch bearing hand. The door itself doesn’t seem to have any locking mechanism, just a handle for pulling it open.

At this point Bruard pops off his spell, but the door does not have any sort of blue aura, tinge, nothing. You are uncertain to be disappointed or relieved.

I’ll stop as I don’t want to assume how you’ll be opening this door. Also I’m guessing that you want Ancor to light the torch now? Or the lantern? Next step for you all!

HPs: Jeloon - 27/29; Till - 31/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19
MO: 1- Till; 2 - Jeloon & Derek; 3 - Ancor; 4 - Yosef & Bruard

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#38 Post by Alethan »

OOC: My vote is to have Ancor light the lantern (especially if it would be possible to light a torch off of the lantern with minimal effort). Then we remove the debris from in front of the door. Then we tie a rope to the door handle, stand back 15 feet, and pull the door open that way.

Then I suggest we set up a situation with two small boulders and a stout piece of wood to hold the door open as indicated in the attached image...

Holding Open The Tomb Door...
Holding Open The Tomb Door...
Keeping the door braced open.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 7261 times
That would hold the door open and ensure we don't come across a stuck door when we're making a hasty retreat from the depths of the tomb. If we need to close it quickly behind us, a well-placed blow with a sword or axe or mace would break the stick, causing it to fall away so the door would close (all dungeon doors close on their own, unless spiked or wedged open, as far as I know).
Last edited by Alethan on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#39 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Ooooh! Just figured out how to add a file from a local drive. That's nice! :)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#40 Post by ToniXX »

rredmond wrote:At this point Bruard pops off his spell, but the door does not have any sort of blue aura, tinge, nothing. You are uncertain to be disappointed or relieved.
I'm confused... I don't remember saying I was going to cast a spell. Did I miss something?

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”