Character Creation

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Character Creation

#1 Post by rredmond »

Talk it out here if you like. We'll have a separate thread for the finished characters.

Starting stuff:
The setting is Greyhawk, but I'm not going to be a stickler about time or histories. You can be creative with your background as long as it meshes with the Call to Action post.
Only Good aligned characters. We will use the AD&D 1E Ruleset. So no specialization. Create your PC by rolling 4d6 (drop 1) six times, arrange as desired - please roll only once on the die roller... it'd be real interesting if we don't get a Ranger. :D
XP: 250,001 for each character - if you are a multiclassing demihuman, then you have to split the XP evenly among the classes.
Sets of Magic Item packs will be provided. You can choose what you want, but then you can trade each other - I'll detail those right away so that you can tailor characters to the packs if you wish.
Don't worry about Gold or anything, equipment will be whatever you need, as long as you can carry it.
Fair warning, the beginning of the module is a railroad of sorts -- but I'm assuming if you want to play then you are heading to the Steading. :)
I figure it'd be two posts a week, and this is how I want to structure it:
* Each post is either a Round (if you are in melee) or it is a Turn (at least) so that things keep moving;
* Once we start there will be a DM action post in the morning (Eastern Standard Time, which I think is UTC-5) on Mondays and Thursdays. So players should have their Action Post completed by midnight on the day before, depending. Any action post can be changed up to that point as well.
* The Action thread will be one post per player, per Round (or Turn);
* If you miss a post (without notification) you player stands there doing nothing, or (if the party is moving) follows along - but doesn't act or attack (unless your absence is set up beforehand of course) but is still a target;
* If you miss three action posts (again without notification) I'll PM you and see what's up; four, we'll replace the player;
* There is a real good chance of PCs dying in this. If character death occurs, they won't be replaced - but there is opportunity through NPCs in the game to continue playing if you so wish. One thing I remember from HS is my Cleric was the last to survive a TPK in the Hill Giant Steading... it was glorious.
I'm hoping these types of structural rules will keep the game flowing and interesting.

These are the magic packs, each character gets one. If you want to do first come first serve, or coordinate amongst yourselves, either way I’m fine. Once a pack is chosen, it’s crossed off the list, they can only be chosen once per each pack:

1. Wand of Fire (20 charges), Ring of Prot +1, bracers of defense AC4, elven cloak and boots, sneezing dust (5 pinches), scroll (confusion, monster summ III), potion of healing, 2 potions of extra-healing

2. short sword +2, displacer cloak, dust of disappearance (12 pinches), scroll (icestorm), bag of holding (1000 lb cap), potion of healing, 2 potions of extra-healing

3. mace +2, plate mail +2, shield +2, 2 potions of invisibility, potion of diminution, 2 potions of extra-healing

4. spear +3, battle axe +1, plate mail +2, shield +5, 4 potions of invisibility, potion of healing, 2 potions of extra-healing

5. +2 spear, crossbow of speed, 30 bolts +2, 6 javelins of lightning, ring of protection +2, ring of regeneration, elven cloak and boots, scroll (cont. light, hold monster), potion of healing, 2 potions of extra-healing

6. staff of striking, hammer +1, leather armor +2, potion of healing, 2 potions of extra-healing

7. dwarven hammer +3, plate mail +1, shield +1, ring of invisibility, boots of striding and springing, 2 potions of extra-healing

8. wand of frost (20 charges), cloak of protection +2, ring of protection +3, scroll (shield, phantasmal force, web, passwall), potion of healing, 2 potions of extra-healing

9. sword +2, chain mail +2, shield +2, robe of blending, dust of appearance (5 pinches), dust of disappearance (5 pinches), potion of healing, 2 potions of extra-healing
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Character Creation

#2 Post by ToniXX »

Here's my roll:
[4d6c1] = 13[4d6c1] = 13[4d6c1] = 13[4d6c1] = 15[4d6c1] = 12[4d6c1] = 14

I'm going to try to make a cleric, I think. Wisdom will be 15, strength will be 14. Everything else will be blahhhhh! :lol:
I'd like to call dibs on magic pack #3 (since it's got a mace)

hit point roll:
Hit points: [9d8] = 35
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Gynsburghe
Strider
Strider

#3 Post by Gynsburghe »

I'm guessing we are using the canonical level limits from the PHB not the expanded UA ones (per our prior conversation)? I wish to play a gnome fighter, but will likely multi-class if limited to 6th (if I got lucky it would be, at best, 8th level w/ UA).

Package #4 is very appealing to me, I like the weapon choices - this character feels like a 'spear and axe dude' to me.

Thanks Ron!

Dave

Gynsburghe
Strider
Strider

#4 Post by Gynsburghe »

Stats: Stats: CON:16, STR:17, CHR:15, INT:12, WIS:14, DEX:15

I waited too long on my first set, not sure what I wanted to do with them so it didn't save them when I finally hit 'aye' (I think it timed me out when I went away from the computer) - but, oddly enough, my second set was very similar (yet better). I feel so guilty...

Dave

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

Gynsburghe wrote:I'm guessing we are using the canonical level limits from the PHB not the expanded UA ones (per our prior conversation)? ...
You are correct sir!
Glad you are in Dave! And welcome!
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Gynsburghe
Strider
Strider

#6 Post by Gynsburghe »

Thanks Ron!

Are you allowing the 2 for 1 stat exchange after rolling or do you want to do the unaltered results? I'm not sure where I first found that particular adjustment honestly (I think it was the 1e DMG?). If so I would wish to exchange two points from charisma into one additional strength to allow access to level 6. I will be multiclassed with thief regardless...

I also noticed there is no leather armor available in any of the sets, so I'd be willing to exchange my very shiny suit of plate for something a bit more fashionable. I envision this character as more of a fighter than a thief, the latter having developed as a survival mechanism - but I don't want to have to undo my armor every time I check for traps...

I already feel like the PIA player... :oops:

Dave

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

Gynsburghe wrote:I already feel like the PIA player... :oops:
We call that a PITA in my house. :) But no worries!
Dave wrote:Are you allowing the 2 for 1 stat exchange after rolling or do you want to do the unaltered results?
Sorry unaltered. I don't think that's a BtB rule honestly, if so, I'd love to see the reference! It's definitely an oft talked about rule. But I'd be willing to discuss if someone can point it out to me. I want to be as BtB as possible.
Dave wrote:I also noticed there is no leather armor available in any of the sets, so I'd be willing to exchange my very shiny suit of plate for something a bit more fashionable. I envision this character as more of a fighter than a thief, the latter having developed as a survival mechanism - but I don't want to have to undo my armor every time I check for traps...
I believe that multiclass gnomes can only wear Leather armor, unless they are a single class fighter. You may want to wait though to see if anyone wants to trade you for the Plate +2, but I'm definitely okay with downgrading armor if we need to, so if you can't score any trades, that Plate +2 can become Leather +2 (which may actually be rarer IIRC - but that's fine by me).

Gynsburghe
Strider
Strider

#8 Post by Gynsburghe »

rredmond wrote: I believe that multiclass gnomes can only wear Leather armor, unless they are a single class fighter. You may want to wait though to see if anyone wants to trade you for the Plate +2, but I'm definitely okay with downgrading armor if we need to, so if you can't score any trades, that Plate +2 can become Leather +2 (which may actually be rarer IIRC - but that's fine by me).
PHB p.16 (concerning multi-classed gnomes): "In the latter case, the character is restricted to the wearing of leather armor, regardless of class he or she has chosen, unless only fighting is performed by the character."

Thus, as long as I just wanted to use my fighting skills, I could keep the tin can on - but the second I wanted to do anything thief like, it would have to come off. I will leave it be for now in case it benefits another party member, but it is likely I will swap it off for the magical leather.

The stat exchange rule, now that I've taken the time to hit the bookshelf, originates from the OD&D M&M (and Holmes; source: http://odd74.proboards.com/thread/9794/ ... experience ) - and doesn't seem to be carried forward, probably due to the increased methods of generation. In both it was only in concern to the prime requisite, and in Holmes it seems to have been only to gain the XP bonus (thanks again to the OD&D board). I looked this up because I was curious myself whether this was btb (I first heard this rule when I was a kid, never bothered to actually directly reference for it) - I swear I am not a rules lawyer :D

So, at 250,001 XP, I have 125,000 in both classes - which would be Fighter 5 (level cap) and Thief 9. So my hit points...

Fighter up until level 5: [5d10] = 29
Thief up until level 5: [5d6] = 23

29+23/2 = 26 hp at level five

Thief beyond level 5: [4d6] = 17

43 HP total plus nine levels of +2 CON bonus: 61 HP, not too shabby.

Dave

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

Gotcha!

Those HPs are definitely better than Greg's full blooded cleric! :)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by ToniXX »

rredmond wrote:Those HPs are definitely better than Greg's full blooded cleric! :)
Yeah, I have a feeling my cleric might be the first KIA!
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Inferno »

That seals it. I'd like pack 5 please for my Ranger.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Inferno »

Gynsburge,
Would you be willing to trade your magic Plate Armor for my magic Splint please? you can still trade it for magic Leather Armor.
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Gynsburghe
Strider
Strider

#13 Post by Gynsburghe »

If DM Ron is amenable to the idea, then so am I.

Dave

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Inferno »

Thanks Dave!
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by rredmond »

Gynsburghe wrote:If DM Ron is amenable to the idea, then so am I.

Dave
I opened the door! :)
But sounds good.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Inferno »

Thanks Ron.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by max_vale »

Hey peoples; I'm late to the party….sorry….weekends are bad for me to get posts up, but I have a wee bit of time now, so I thought I'd throw up my character on the PC thread (did the rolls at home since I can't seem to access the die-roller here…I hope that's okay!)

I'm gonna roll with a Human Thief who was a former Cleric…..and I'll take magic item option 8, mostly for the Protective Items and will happily trade the Scroll to any Magic-User and possibly the Wand; though I'm happy to keep that as well. :)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Inferno »

Hi
The dice changed my idea a little. I'm also Human dual class, also a former Cleric. :)

My Ranger will also happily trade his scrolls to the MU I hope is forthcoming. :D

Should have a rough sheet done by tomorrow.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by rredmond »

Three clerics... dang... I mean okay sounds good. :)

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by max_vale »

Wait.....I might have missed something....if I choose an option with a magical armor I can't use (I'm thinking the Plate Mail here); I can exchange it for an armor I CAN use? (I.e. I can downgrade the Plate Mail +2 for Leather Armor +2?); If so.....is it okay if I switch out magical option 8 for 6?

Also....I know Thieves can backstab with a Club....can they do so with a Hammer? (If they're former Clerics like my character, for example?) Or.....could I switch out the Hammer +1 for a Club +1?

Return to “Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (1e)”