CHAPTER TWO: In Tassin's Wood

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: CHAPTER TWO: In Tassin's Wood

#161 Post by onlyme »

My friends, do you not remember us relaying his story this afternoon? He is after the villian Ruas, as you may recall. I remember hoping this Grainger fellow was him in disguise, just to watch the ensuing spectacle in such a small town. But alas, it must not be, as they are both in the room.

That leaves the cleric Tristan and the generous Saru as the only realistic hopes, I am afraid, to create a deathmatch for us to witness this eve.
And that would have been enjoyable to watch, a knight in action against such a beast.

Oh well. I supposed we are destined to create our own spectacles to witness.

He then whispers nervously, This village of Frostang is where we are umm headed, remember? cover

RRedmond, we split off into PMs to handle half being in the bar, while half went to the temple. The summaries are on page 4 of this thread, including the knight's quest, and how I used it to a cover story to gage information from fellow travelers. Basically I just got into a verbal battle with NPC Grainger.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#162 Post by Gelatinous Q »

OOC: This is the first time Glogs has been in the presence of the Palish knight and heretofore had not seen his standard, which is that of Pholtus, Glogs' own patron deity.

The knight gives Glogs a perfunctory but respectful nod at the recognition of Pholtus' standard. He then returns his attention to Gordon. "His name is Ruas. A human. He crossed into Ratik some weeks ago. Do you know of him?"

At about this time, the villagers in the barroom go silent as five elves enter through the stable door, wearing dull green cloaks over leathers. They seat themselves quickly and quietly at table A. After a moment, the din returns to normal.
Failure is always an option.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#163 Post by Nuke66 »

OCC - I was in the temple not the bar

"No Sir, I do not know the name Ruas. Do you know what he looks like?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#164 Post by Alethan »

Nuke66 wrote:OCC - I was in the temple not the bar

"No Sir, I do not know the name Ruas. Do you know what he looks like?"
Having listened to the conversation as best he could from a slight distance, Bran approaches and sits at the table with Gordon and the knight.

"And," adds Bran, "what he might be riding? I had my eye on a suspicious fellow with too much gold and an expensive horse earlier. He didn't give his name as 'Ruas', but... it wasn't far from it."

OOC: Bran has always been of the opinion that Ruas is Saru...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by rredmond »

onlyme wrote: RRedmond, we split off into PMs to handle half being in the bar, while half went to the temple. The summaries are on page 4 of this thread, including the knight's quest, and how I used it to a cover story to gage information from fellow travelers. Basically I just got into a verbal battle with NPC Grainger.
OOC: I am, as they say, wicked far behind! :D so thanks for any info.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#166 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Alethan wrote:"And," adds Bran, "what he might be riding? I had my eye on a suspicious fellow with too much gold and an expensive horse earlier. He didn't give his name as 'Ruas', but... it wasn't far from it."
"He rides a dark warhorse," the paladin answers, his jaw clenching. "What name did this villain give you? Was it 'Saru'?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#167 Post by Alethan »

Gelatinous Q wrote: "He rides a dark warhorse," the paladin answers, his jaw clenching. "What name did this villain give you? Was it 'Saru'?"
Bran's weighty eyebrows rise in exclamation as he sits back in his chair, tugging at his beard, "It was, in fact, 'Saru'!"

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#168 Post by Gelatinous Q »

"I've crossed paths with this cur before," the paladin says glumly. "He may very well be Ruas — the thought has occurred to me. He's also a protected man. He carries letters of safe conduct from the court of Ivid and claims he was being entertained at Castle Blemu when the crime took place."

He suddenly grows circumspect.

"But I had heard that this Saru had booked passage back to Roland via Fadric ... Is this not so? He is here, in Tassin's Wood?"

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#169 Post by Nuke66 »

"He was in the very room, not 4 hours ago. Seemed a nice enough fellow, but we have uneasy feelings about him."

"I could see some difficulty in apprehending him without a fight."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Argennian »

Savik gets up from the table he sits at with Grainger and walks casually over to where Gordon and Bran are conversing with the paladin. He nods formally to the paladin, then looks to Bran and Gordon. "Those could be the elves that our mysterious and over-giving benefactor, Saru, was speaking of earlier. The priest of Delleb I sit and converse with yonder has admitted to not seeing them before this eve."

The elf then looks over to where Glogs, Iomhar and Ulfronde sit, nodding to them slightly as well. As he makes to return to their original table, he offers one last fact. "I do not know if we can believe this Saru's story, and if not, those elves could be in league with him possibly. I offered them a nod of courtesy yet they paid me no heed. Although this proves nothing, I suggest that we be prepared for anything which may occur, friends."

Savik then moves to the table where Glogs, Iomhar and Ulfronde sit. He takes a seat, preferably with his back to the elves and Grainger. "I am trying to get any and all information out of the priest of Delleb that I can. He does not believe our cover story but has offered his service and capability to us, nonetheless. I have just told him that we would have to discuss this amongst ourselves before any offer could be entertained, of course," he explains as he then looks to Iomhar with raised eyebrows, "...that is unless he would not be tolerated for an injury that he realizes he must have caused, but understands not?"

Savik then turns his attention back to his pipe and continues speaking. "Regardless of what we decide, those elves that just entered look to be a mysterious bunch. I believe their presence here this same eve as this Saru fellow is more than what could be considered coincidence. I suggest that we remain prepared for anything which may occur, friends," the elf extrapulates as he takes another deep puff from his pipe.

Edit: spelling/grammaticals!
Last edited by Argennian on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by onlyme »

How much help do we need? I dont trust any npc except for the knight. Supposedly the rivals to Alacastra would be from a temple, so I especially don't trust Grainger. I could see hiring a bunch of thugs to slay the orcs for cash, but nothing beyond that. What is everyone's take?

Remember this is my first game back from quite a slumber. So, I really dont have a lot of confidence in troop requirements etc for battles.

Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#172 Post by Alethan »

OOC: I'm fine with no hirelings, as well.

Interesting discussion was had between me and another old-school gamer/DM a few months ago. He had always played where the PCs would each have two to four hirelings in front of them. He said they needed them to make the players more survivable and they were always replacing them with new hirelings because they died so quickly.

My experience with OD&D and 1e was very different back in the day. The party consisted of PCs and maybe a linkboy (torch bearer) or a porter. That was it. We never had problems with surviving. That isn't to say we didn't have characters that died - we did. But it was usually because we made stupid decisions or just had the dice go against us at an inopportune time. It wasn't because the GM overran us with hordes of baddies.

In general, especially in a sandbox setting, I think GMs tend to scale the surroundings based on how many people are in the group. By increasing the number of people in the group by four-fold, the parties my friend was a part of were scaling the dungeons to be harder, even though most of the people in their party ended up being fodder.

Maybe it was just a regional difference. Or maybe we were just doing it all wrong. I don't tend to believe the latter, though. If you look at any of the Adventure Modules from back in the day, they say, "Intended for 3-5 characters of level 4-6"" or some such thing. They don't say, "Intended for 3-5 characters of level 4-6 with 6-15 hirelings". Maybe about half of what my friends and I played was pre-made module, but our sandbox style tended to be quite similar.

To make a short answer long... if we can get the knight (i.e. if we can quickly (within an hour or two of in-game time) get his task finished so he will join us) then great. We could use him. Otherwise, I'm fine with leaving the rest behind, picking up the temple guide in the morning, and making our way to the tomb/orcs.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Argennian »

onlyme wrote: How much help do we need? I dont trust any npc except for the knight. Supposedly the rivals to Alacastra would be from a temple, so I especially don't trust Grainger. I could see hiring a bunch of thugs to slay the orcs for cash, but nothing beyond that. What is everyone's take?

OOC: Was just role-playing my character here and having a little IC fun with ya, man! :)

As a point of order, just because it appears that Savik is making nice with Grainger, Tristan or anyone else he meets, does not mean that he wants them along at all. In fact, my PC doesn't really trust anyone and is just trying to gather as much intel as he can. And yes, I am aware that the Temple of Delleb represent the law in Ratikhill and that they would be working to their own ends in this or anything else. :wink:

As to the other part, I personally don't think 1st level PCs should have any NPCs with them, save for maybe a guide or other such character that would give the DM a "voice" within the party, so to speak. But it's not my place to say here, as it's not my game and I happen to be fine with it either way.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by onlyme »

Argennian wrote: OOC: Was just role-playing my character here and having a little IC fun with ya, man! :)

No problems. I just wanted to get recalibrated...

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#175 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Not to tip my hand that much, but the party composition at present should be sufficient for adventuring in Charrellsfane's tomb. Much more and I'd have to adjust the numbers, which could cause ... issues. Bear in mind that the Temple is providing you with a non-combatant cleric as well, who might serve as a lantern-bearer if you're nice to him. ;)
Alethan wrote:My experience with OD&D and 1e was very different back in the day. The party consisted of PCs and maybe a linkboy (torch bearer) or a porter. That was it. We never had problems with surviving. That isn't to say we didn't have characters that died - we did. But it was usually because we made stupid decisions or just had the dice go against us at an inopportune time. It wasn't because the GM overran us with hordes of baddies.
+1. Always loved the stories of Robilar sussing out the traps in S1 by sending the hired fodder out in front of him, but that wasn't the way we gamed. Doesn't mean you can't though.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#176 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Nuke66 wrote:"He was in the very room, not 4 hours ago. Seemed a nice enough fellow, but we have uneasy feelings about him."

"I could see some difficulty in apprehending him without a fight."
"Nothing would please me more than to see the perpetrator of this vile deed swinging from a gibbet," the paladin says, "and were this a lawful place, I might have sufficient reason to apprehend him. It pains me to say this, but at the moment, he is Ruas in conjecture only. Given his affiliations, I'll need more than that to subdue and spirit him away. I must compel or trick a confession from him."

emirikol57
Strider
Strider

#177 Post by emirikol57 »

I'd prefer to pass on any npc's, other than a cleric!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by onlyme »

Iomhar looks up in disgust at the idea of Grainger being solicited for assistance. "If he understands not what causes my ire, then he is not much of a learned man."

Gelatinous Q wrote: "But I had heard that this Saru had booked passage back to Roland via Fadric ... Is this not so? He is here, in Tassin's Wood?"

Iomhar then turns his chair facing the knight's adjoining table,
" Ah, as you recall the baron has shut down the ports. This kind, generous man even mentioned that fact as the reason he was not already on the sea. You say he was being entertained at the court of Blemu. That seems far enough away to allow ample evidence to confirm or contradict. I am sure you can easily find enough reason to dismiss any notion that this Saru is as vile a creature as the Raus you describe. And if this isnt so, if you find that they are one in the same, then I would gladly assist you in removing him from the living. That only seems fair retribution for allowing my instinct to lead astray.

As Iomhar finishes those comments, he looks down at his practically empty cup from Savik's earlier gift of ale, and wonders where the bubbly Iano might be with the round of drinks and his food. He must wait patiently, however hungry he may be. For calling attention to her lack of promptness is no way to win her alliances.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Argennian »

onlyme wrote:Iomhar looks up in disgust at the idea of Grainger being solicited for assistance. "If he understands not what causes my ire, then he is not much of a learned man."

Savik maintains a neutral visage through the assassin's response. He responds in a hushed tone as he stands up, leaning in a bit to ensure his response is as quiet as possible. "Understood, Master Iomhar..." the elf replies with a wink.

He will then make his way back over to the table where Grainger awaits, smiling at the elves if he catches their eye.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Return to “1E Greyhawk: Strange Days in Ratik”