OOC

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC

#1 Post by Keehnelf »

This thread is for OOC communication. For now it is the only thread in the forum, so go ahead and use it if you like to introduce yourselves or to discuss preliminary character ideas.

I will post more material over the course of the next few days to flesh out the adventure a bit more so you can know what you're getting into when you make a character.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC

#2 Post by Zhym »

Hi there.

So: dwarf assassin? Dwarf ranger? Dwarf druid? How the heck would a dwarf become a druid (and end up fighting a black druid)?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Keehnelf »

Yes, yes, yes. Dwarf druid would require a very interesting story, but nothing is off the table.

Evil dwarf? No wonder you were tossed in prison! Taking out the black druid is the only chance you have to be rehabilitated into dwarf society!

Dwarf ranger? Sounds useful!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

Is there one druidic order, or multiple? Would the Black Druid be considered "rogue," or the dwarf?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Keehnelf »

There's no official druidic order as such. There are a number of human druids who are loosely affiliated and who ally generally with the elves, but other than a respect for druids who are more experienced it's nothing hierarchical.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

Druids are a lot more fun at level 7 and higher than at lower levels. It's all about shapechange. :D I'm guessing our characters aren't going to reach that high a level?

I'm thinking either dwarf assassin or maybe dwarf ranger or paladin.

What will the dwarf magic user rules be?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Keehnelf »

Dwarf magic users will be a little bit like elves from B/X--magic save bonuses but with bonuses for target saves as well, able to use arms and armor like a cleric and with a somewhat more limited spell repertoire than a normal magic user, basically utility-oriented. I'll put the full rules up about it probably this weekend.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zorroroaster »

Maybe something clericky?
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by KingOfCowards »

I think I'll stick with a fighter

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Sol »

Hey all, looking forward to trying out OSRIC. I am thinking of a character that's going to be some kind of treasure hunter. Specifically, this dwarf has a fine gauntlet/bracer which he crafted himself out of precious metal. It bears hundreds of runes which tell the tale of his family history, but is punctuated in a few places by precious stones. My character's goal is to locate / barter for / find / liberate 88 unique stones of as fine a quality as possible in order to complete the bracer in honor of his family.

The character will need blacksmithing ability and also will have to have skill with appraising and gemworking / jewelryworking. I expect this will lead him to become a fighter type or maybe a fighter/thief. I'll have to get a closer look at the OSRIC rules and see what shakes out.
Ready your Sword, your Spells, your Warhammer. The Iron Realm Podcast awaits!
http://theironrealm.blogspot.com/

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zorroroaster »

Ok. I've got some ideas for a dwarf cleric. I've rolled some stats and i find I am in need of some advice. I've not played a cleric before. I have 3 meh stats, and 3 decent ones.

Obviously I'm putting 2 of those into WIS and CON, it gives me extra spells, good saves and more HP. I have one last good stat.

STR or DEX? It's a 16, so if I slot it into STR I get +1 to damage, but if I slot it into DEX I get a -2 bonus to AC.

What would you do?
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Sol »

I wouldn't worry about STR. Go with DEX for any possible AC bonus, that's my opinion. There will probably be plenty of Dwarven Fighters, so leave it to them. If you still want hitting power, you can always get Striking as a clerical spell that will more than make up for things.

Oh, BTW, we talked about maybe 5th level for characters. Is there an XP total to shoot for?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Zorroroaster »

I was leaning that way, yeah. Better that I'm harder to hit and not disrupt any spells being cast.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Keehnelf »

More info on character creation up tonight--including xp, magic users and item rules.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Keehnelf »

Yes, use dwarf racial stat adjustments--and use this thread for discussion, Q&A, etc.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zorroroaster »

Questions:

Do I apply the +1 per 3.5 pts of CON only to the Rod/Staff/Wand and Spells saves (and conditionally Poison) but not Breath or Petrifaction/Polymorph?

Are you using weapon proficiencies? Never mind, I got this mixed up with specialization which is fighter only.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Keehnelf »

Zorroroaster wrote:Questions:

Do I apply the +1 per 3.5 pts of CON only to the Rod/Staff/Wand and Spells saves (and conditionally Poison) but not Breath or Petrifaction/Polymorph?

Are you using weapon proficiencies? Never mind, I got this mixed up with specialization which is fighter only.
Apply it to anything that's magical in origin--just track it as a separate modifier that will come up circumstantially.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Zorroroaster »

Got it, thanks.

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by Sol »

Hi guys,

Gonna roll some stats. Need some guidance. We need to do 4d6c1 for each stat. What does this mean? 4d6 and drop the lowest?

Also, how should I represent this in the dice roller? I assume that the dice roller needs to show all 4 rolls so that it is easy to tell which one is the lowest.

Many thanks!
Sol aka Unther

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by KingOfCowards »

I did it just like this in the dice roller...
Ability Scores: [4d6c1] [4d6c1] [4d6c1]

And rolled it twice under my character. The dice roller can take care of dropping the lowest die.
Although in my case, it looks more like it dropped the highest die.

Return to “The Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC”