Session 2: The Belly of the Beast

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Session 2: The Belly of the Beast

#361 Post by C. Steven Ross »

What do you do to determine if the water is safe?

I also can't tell you what triggers a test. Play to live!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#362 Post by Marullus »

(So Rand donates his check to Ulrich, Ulrich uses Garen's cloak and the warm egg [since he has lowest health] and checks to recover from exhausted? I'm willing. I'll do it after Norgrim's test, though, so he doesn't have two left.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

i have written a post about moving slowly to smell/taste the water for potability several times now. Each time I have erased it because I just don't want to risk death or worse... Injury! I will wait until all checks are used and i am free before I risk going for water, though I do need some. I am out of rations and water.

If anyone else wants to grab my helmet and start boiling water, to ahead. (looking at SK since he has a cooking skill). just move slowly near the water's edge. I don't want to drown.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#364 Post by Enoch »

Norgrim changes out his nasty sweaty socks out for a nice, clean pair of woolen socks (with little pickaxes woven into the design), plumps up his pack, and lays down, using the pack as a pillow. He closes his eyes, smacks his lips slowly, then cracks one eye. "Call out if you start to drown. Or flail loudly. Right now, I'm taking a nap."
Norgrim sleeps peacefully while his companion flounders only a little ways away. His lips curl in a blissful smile, and several times he stretches in his sleep and murmurs unintelligible syllables.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#365 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Knowing of the pride and stubbornness of dwarves, Rand had kept his idea to himself. But with the sudden shift in the floor Rand's fear heightened and he let go of his caution. "Norgrim and Garen. I have been mulling over an idea - something I recall from The Holy Delver - stating the importance knowing how to manipulate ropes when exploring the depths of the world. You two have spoken of such things. Do ou think it is possible to tie the rope around this rock and use Garen's hook as a pulley to lift it? I don't fancy drowning in the accursed hole."

Enoch's use of the rope made me think there might be a way to redesign the attempt to make sound more like a dungeoneering test. Particularly now that we are dealing with a dungeon hazard. If that were the case, Garen's got that skill and can throw in a die to help. Even with Enoch still exhausted, he will be up +4D for the higher skill level, inability to gain a check, Garen's assist and bright light.
Still looking fro a response from anyone about this idea. And about the use of checks for Garen and ulrich's conditions vs rescuing Rand with a check. Anyone?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#366 Post by Marullus »

Taking his cue from Norgrim, Ulrich says no more. He accepts the cloak and hot rock, groaning as he lies down in exhaustion.

Exhaustion 3D health, +1D cloak, +1D rock [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 1

He soon is fast asleep, wrapped around the egg, and snoring lightly.

(That uses the loaned check from Rand. It also splits up Norgrim's checks so he can decide what to do with the last one.)

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#367 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Knowing of the pride and stubbornness of dwarves, Rand had kept his idea to himself. But with the sudden shift in the floor Rand's fear heightened and he let go of his caution. "Norgrim and Garen. I have been mulling over an idea - something I recall from The Holy Delver - stating the importance knowing how to manipulate ropes when exploring the depths of the world. You two have spoken of such things. Do ou think it is possible to tie the rope around this rock and use Garen's hook as a pulley to lift it? I don't fancy drowning in the accursed hole."

Enoch's use of the rope made me think there might be a way to redesign the attempt to make sound more like a dungeoneering test. Particularly now that we are dealing with a dungeon hazard. If that were the case, Garen's got that skill and can throw in a die to help. Even with Enoch still exhausted, he will be up +4D for the higher skill level, inability to gain a check, Garen's assist and bright light.
Still looking fro a response from anyone about this idea. And about the use of checks for Garen and ulrich's conditions vs rescuing Rand with a check. Anyone?
I don't have a check and I am willing to keep exhausted to save you, after all you are stuck under a rock and the closest of us all to drowning. So no need for me to use a check to relieve my condition and you can use my help if you want :)

I have a question, as for actions in camp, what if I describe doing something and I stumble into a test, like boiling the water with the hat. If I don't have checks, would you just say you can't do that or do I HAVE to borrow a check or does it count as a turn even though we are inside the camp
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#368 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Yeah in that case I would force you to steal an available check. If there weren't any checks in the group, of course, you'd be out of Camp and it would advance a Turn.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Great question SK! I was wondering that myself. Steven, what if we are out of checks and the action was something very camp oriented like... boiling water? Can we boil water or cook out of the camping phase?

Also, I just reread most of Session 1 and noticed you mentioned the OOC button for typing in red. I cannot believe I have been trying to hit that little red square on the right on my ipod touch all this time! So a very belated thanks for that tip.

One more question (because i don't have the rules handy and am on "kid duty" right now). If I were to try a healing test on Garen (sick), what happens to him if I fail? Is it any worse than if he just burns off the sickness?

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#370 Post by C. Steven Ross »

If you're out of checks, you're out of Camp! You get bumped into Adventure Phase and we start marking off Turns.

If you fail a healer test, no matter the Phase you're in, the consequences are the same; Twist or Condition.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#371 Post by C. Steven Ross »

So we've been waiting on Norgrim, I believe, to spend the last check before we end Camp Phase. That happening anytime soon?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Marullus »

Updated List:
Garen - Hungry and Thirsty, Angry, Exhausted, Sick
Rand - Hungry and Thirsty, Angry, Afraid, Exhausted
Norgrim - Hungry and Thirsty, Exhausted
Ulrich - Hungry and Thirsty, Exhausted
If you fail a healer test, no matter the Phase you're in, the consequences are the same; Twist or Condition.
So, that implies we can do a healer test out of camp for his sickness with no worse or better than doing it in camp? But, we still need him to recover in order?

Perhaps we use the last check for Garen's exhaustion (supposing he is likely to pass it), then we free Rand, (Grind, everyone eats again, using the happy free water here) and then Rand heals Garen's sickness with Ulrich's help.

Thoughts?

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#373 Post by C. Steven Ross »

One point: using Healer to treat Injury and Sickness ca do so out of recovery order, since you're not actually using Recovery, which can be quite convenient.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#374 Post by Enoch »

Norgrim yawns and stretches, appearing well-rested after his nap. "Well, shall we dig our priest friend out, now that we've had a chance to rest? Here, toss me that rope again."

He bustles about, directing his companions in looping the rope around the largest of the rocks and hauling off the smaller by hand, reserving the largest of those for himself. Bracing himself against the wall, he levers one of the rocks off of Rand as he shoves away with his legs.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#375 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Truly! Make an Ob 1 Laborer test (digging).

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#376 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Now that Rand is no longer afraid, he is happy to assist with this endeavor. As I suggested previously, he can throw in with the healer skill, making sure folks are using good ergonomics (to prevent injury) or keeping an eye on his own body (to prevent injury).

We are spending a check on this, correct?

Marullus, I was reading a bit about healing. Sick is an Ob 4 test (at base... Steven could throw us a curveball and make it harder...). I have healer 3 + 1D (Ulrich's healer) + 1D (Garen's cook skill) + 1D (my persona). I wouldn't want to take that chance (6D vs Ob4). Can anyone think of a way for Norgrim to help? Can other folk's traits, persona or fate be used by Rand?

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#377 Post by C. Steven Ross »

You are spending your last Check on this test, correct.

Others' traits and fate/persona do not in any way benefit the acting player.

I will take Healer for help here, but I would limit it to just one of you helping in this way. Too many cooks!

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#378 Post by Enoch »

OK, I'll take Help from Rand's Healer and Garen's Dungeoneer. Laborer 3 + 2D Help vs. Ob 1 should be doable even if the dice roller goes hostile. No guarantees, though.

[1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 5

"All right, Rand," the dwarf grunts as he rolls a particularly large stone off the cleric's legs, "next time you decide to cover up, let me know and I'll loan you a blanket. Rocks are a bad idea."

He pauses and looks around. "Maybe if we find a forge, I'll make you some metal booties. Hold them on with chainmail garters, eh?" He winks at the cleric as he puts down the stone.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#379 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Huzzah! This will end Camp Phase with Rand out of that sticky situation. In a little bit, I'll start up a new post (I'll let you guys know) for the rest of the session, as we're hitting 20 pages and I've heard the forums don't like things getting too long.

In the meantime, Norgrim, tell us how Garen's dungeoneering knowledge helped here.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#380 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Return to “No Country for Deadbeat Adventurers (Torchbearer)”