Characters and Character Creation

Mister-Kent
Glintwine
Scout
Scout

Re: Characters and Character Creation

#61 Post by Glintwine »

Ironically enough, we actually seem to all be mostly in agreement, Kmbll, Enoch, and Marullus. Being the one who originally proposed the idea of us all breaking out of prison together, I do still think that it could make for a strong start to the campaign and give us all good motivators to work together despite not necessarily being close friends with one another to start. The reason that I backpedaled from that idea slightly is because we have a large, diverse group, and several of us seem to want more unique introductions for our characters than the prison break scenario. I obviously am already on-board for the shared start with those others that want it, but I also feel that people should be free to come into the story differently if that is their wish.

For what it's worth, I didn't realize that your only concern was one of shared motivation and not interaction/front-loading, etc. So I apologize for preaching at you about it like I did, Marullus.

In any case, perhaps from this point on we should consider continuing this discussion in the OOC thread, because as it stands, we've already kind of drowned Grognardsw's character sheet in all our talk of preferences and motivations - something I will take some responsibility for, being the long-winded one who threw out the ideas that sparked this talk. xP

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Pulpatoon »

6. The Crew travels to Killdozer's homeworld for a job, screws up somehow and ends up captured, either made into slave prizes for the tournament winners, or forced to fight in the same gladiatorial arena as Killdozer. The ship (if not already Cat's Cradle) is wrecked beyond repair.

7. After escaping the arena with Killdozer, the mutant warrior ironically offers the crew the Cat's Cradle which he won as a prize for the winner of the tournament (possibly was the owner even before the group came along). Crew leaves the planet with the Cat's Cradle as their new ship (unless it always was) and Killdozer as new ship cook/medic.

8. Cat's Cradle ends up crashing/making an emergency landing on Modashi's backwater world, probably just because it's a piece of crap that Killdozer has been using as a house. Just when the situation seems hopeless, Modashi shows up and repairs the ship as if it were child's play. He ends up joining the crew.
Geez-o-pete, you guys have been busy on this thread!

I'm going to monkey with the above events a bit. I don't see Killdozer having any possessions at all when he was a gladiator/slave. Just the soubriquet "Killdozer" and a bunch of scars. His existence was pretty brutal and traumatizing.

When he escaped and set foot in the Cat's Cradle, it was the first time in his life he had anything approaching peace, security, or autonomy. Seeing that other people had more than one name, he took on the ship's name as his family name.

So, I'd suggest that you guys had the Cat's Cradle already, took on Killdozer as part of your escape from the gladiator pits, and he eventually settled into the galley as his happy place.

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#63 Post by kmbll »

So that clarifies that then. So we already had the Cradle.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Marullus »

Malachi Lykos

Goals
Holding off until we have the Sector info... still thinking.

Skills
I changed it to Vehicles (Grav) and to Tech (Maltech).

Considering the 0-point Cybernetics
Integral Biostatus Monitor: A series of probes and filters are
implanted in the subject, all designed to maintain a steady observation
of the user’s physical condition and any ambient dangers. The
monitor will alert the subject on exposure to any poison, pathogen,
or radiation, and will identify the substance and standard treatment
if it exists in the toxicological libraries. This quick identification
grants a +2 on the first skill check made to treat a poison or infection.
The instant diagnostic information also allows a +1 bonus on
all Tech/Medtech skill checks to aid a wounded character.
I added this one to the sheet. That is right in-line for what they'd put in the soldier.
Direct Interface, Level One: A series of universal interface ports
are implanted in the subject in conjunction with a subvocal pickup
unit and audiovisual patch films for ears and eyes. As a result, the
user can control and receive input from most standard electronic
equipment without accessing the usual keyboards, screens, or controls.
Wireless-capable devices can be operated from within thirty
meters, while others gear usually allow for direct plugs to jacks usually
implanted along the spine. While this operation is hands-free,
the controls require standard subvocalization and subtle somatic
gestures, and are no quicker or more precise than standard methods.
I know I mentioned this one, but I'm skipping it. Two-way wireless protocols attached to a human nervous system? That is an electronic warfare nightmare that they'd never put on a soldier. Making your troops audio/visual nerves remotely hackable is too huge a risk. :)

Background
So, we're going darker, I'll re-write to add the change to Maltech. I love it. :)

Enoch - lets work out our past relationship. There's some great turns we could put in there!

Grognardsw - Wow, that is mind-blowing for Ike! What did he do to get branded as a criminal? How do you want to have met up and bonded with the crew?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by Enoch »

If I switch my packages to Scholar/Academy Graduate, I get access to History, Tech/Psitech, Combat/Psitech, and interestingly enough Tech/Medical. Do we already have a competent healer on staff? If so, I can assist; otherwise, I can apparently act as one.

In terms of story, I see two ways to go with this: either a refugee of a failed crusade who disagreed with the decision to surrender and wants to continue the fight as a guerrilla; or someone who believes a crusade is necessary and has fled in search of the resources to conduct one. Either way, he's broken with the religious hierarchy and is now hunted by them; he would be hunted by their enemies if they knew of him and considered him a serious threat.
Last edited by Enoch on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#66 Post by kmbll »

Enoch wrote:If I switch my packages to Scholar/Academy Graduate, I get access to History, Tech/Psitech, Combat/Psitech, and interestingly enough Tech/Medical. Do we already have a competent healer on staff? If so, I can assist; otherwise, I can apparently act as one.
Backup medics are always good!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Pulpatoon »

Killdozer has Tech/Medical, but only at 0-level.

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#68 Post by kmbll »

Grognardsw wrote:

Isaac's brain is co-habitated by an alien conscious. It can exert influence and provide extra-terrestial intelligence in times of great need (or whatever the GM would like.) During his second term of service, while scouting strange alien ruins of a dead planet (later designated HPL6966-Yuggoth), Ike came upon a chamber of jar-enclosed brains. He mind was invaded, but not conquered. The alien intelligence resides in a symbiosis of sentience, an integration of id, a paradox of psyche. Only later did the Scout Service realize something was amiss with Isaac Heinlein. He started revealing unusual insights and revelations of science and biology which, when pressed on how, he could not explain. The Service at first thought he was plagarizing or spying to achieve such information, but surveillance over time showed this was not the case. Neural research was done and the alien brainwaves were detected. The alien intelligence could not be isolated or controlled. The Service could not risk this unpredictable and unknown alien intelligence inside the Scouts, so Ike was mustered out. Ike learned that the government had more devious plans for him. The alien intelligence enabled him to plot an escape, identity change, and occupation. Ike is privately concerned what the ultimate purpose of his alien mind inhabitor is. He would like to excise the alien consciousness, but does not know how. He does not trust the government to do it, if they even can. Ike occasionally thinks about returning to Yuggoth to seek more answers.

Images
Planet HPL6966-Yuggoth

A mind invaded...

Under the influence...
Hey Grognardsw, not trying to be a dick but it looks like your character sheet has 14/14/13/18/14/9 when you saw you rolled 13/14/15/17/9/14. Mister-Kent said we can move between attributes but I think the rule is "You may move points between scores, lowering abilities above 13 and raising abilities below 8 to even out your scores. No such modifications can lower a high score below 13 or raise a low one above 8." between scores. Then it seems like you have 2s for your skills where they should be 1s and 1s where they should be 0s (with 0 meaning there's no -1 modifier and 1 meaning there's a plus +1 modified). Hope this helps!

Rhal
Scout
Scout

#69 Post by Rhal »

kmbll wrote:
In regards to Rhal - I really like the podborn idea and think you should run with it to however you want. From my perspective, I'm not sure why I would want you on the crew - I don't mean that to be critical because I like the ideas of your character but from a roleplaying perspective, I'm thinking my character would view a time-lost, physical only threat as not much of a benefit. My thinking is that we could stumble upon your character as you mention while looking for ruins for Malachi and Malachi could have a vested interest in you from a historical perspective and Raquel could understand where you're coming from as she's from a primitive origin as well - but I don't want you to be upset if from a roleplay perspective my character doesn't value yours and would rather be upfront about it.
I completely understand, and I am not married to a pure physical (strength/melee) fighter. That had been part of my very first character thought, and have no problem changing that to using guns. Either way I would not have an issue with RP not always getting along - it would be what the character would do, not the player.
Marullus wrote: Rhal - I'm cool with finding you in an excavation, and would be invested in keeping you around. Among other reasons, ground missions are risky and this crew seems to underestimate the need for solid physical capabilities. You are, essentially, a living pre-tech artifact, and that's just awesome. I see two main options:
a) I can rescue you when we all go our ways after the prison break, making you an early member of the crew and part of the Killdozer storyline/onward.
b) We can find you on our first post-Modashi job, making you a very recent addition.
That choice depends on how integrated and acclimated you want to be at game-start.
Both sound good. Although I am more leaning towards being fairly recently awoken, and still having to deal with what happened.

So, would the group prefer a more melee character, or a more ranged character? I am good either way.

Glintwine
Scout
Scout

#70 Post by Glintwine »

Rhal wrote: So, would the group prefer a more melee character, or a more ranged character? I am good either way.
Well we're honestly not hurting for fire power either way - I think you can pretty safely pick whichever one appeals most to you personally and not have to worry too much about being useful or not. Since your original plan was melee - it might be worth telling you that the main melee skill Combat/Primitive applies to ALL muscle-powered weaponry, from clubs and swords to bows and grenades. So if you do decide to focus on melee weapons as you seem to have originally planned, you won't be completely useless at range if you have the wherewithal to pick up a bow or some other primitive ranged weapon. Just something to keep in mind.

Rhal
Scout
Scout

#71 Post by Rhal »

Here is what I have so far -

Dice roll for creds [1d6] = 4

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#72 Post by kmbll »

Rhal wrote:
kmbll wrote:
In regards to Rhal - I really like the podborn idea and think you should run with it to however you want. From my perspective, I'm not sure why I would want you on the crew - I don't mean that to be critical because I like the ideas of your character but from a roleplaying perspective, I'm thinking my character would view a time-lost, physical only threat as not much of a benefit. My thinking is that we could stumble upon your character as you mention while looking for ruins for Malachi and Malachi could have a vested interest in you from a historical perspective and Raquel could understand where you're coming from as she's from a primitive origin as well - but I don't want you to be upset if from a roleplay perspective my character doesn't value yours and would rather be upfront about it.
I completely understand, and I am not married to a pure physical (strength/melee) fighter. That had been part of my very first character thought, and have no problem changing that to using guns. Either way I would not have an issue with RP not always getting along - it would be what the character would do, not the player.
Marullus wrote: Rhal - I'm cool with finding you in an excavation, and would be invested in keeping you around. Among other reasons, ground missions are risky and this crew seems to underestimate the need for solid physical capabilities. You are, essentially, a living pre-tech artifact, and that's just awesome. I see two main options:
a) I can rescue you when we all go our ways after the prison break, making you an early member of the crew and part of the Killdozer storyline/onward.
b) We can find you on our first post-Modashi job, making you a very recent addition.
That choice depends on how integrated and acclimated you want to be at game-start.
Both sound good. Although I am more leaning towards being fairly recently awoken, and still having to deal with what happened.

So, would the group prefer a more melee character, or a more ranged character? I am good either way.
I mean - to me, combat isn't the most important thing. I think you should just go with thematically what works best for your character. (Sorry if you've posted it elsewhere but) Who was he before the pod? Who is he? Who was What does he desire in this new world of discovery?

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#73 Post by Mister-Kent »

Removed Isaac and added Viktor to the crew roster :)
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Marullus »

Victor looks intriguing to me - good build and thematic skill choices; I look forward to seeing the background. :)

What does Podborn mean in this context?

For Cool, are you going with the "perfected clone" option and taking the +1 to three attributes?

For back story, I can easily justify our characters bonding once finding you. What intriguing maltech or pretech mystery were you entombed with which brought me to find you?

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#75 Post by Mister-Kent »

In this context, Podborn means cryo-preserved from a long-ago era. So it's more like "reborn" :)
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#76 Post by DexterWard »

My CS so far. Working on gear presently

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#77 Post by kmbll »

DexterWard wrote:My CS so far. Working on gear presently

How'd you end up with 1 in those skills?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Marullus »

Cool!

One question - it was not my understanding that we got all the skills from the class plus all the skills from the package. I was calculating based on only the background and the package; the class skills only being relevant for level advancement. If I am wrong, I will gladly recalc. :). If that way is right, then you only have:

All Level 0:
Combat/Any: Gunnery
Culture/Spacer (Engine Crew package)
Exosuit (Engine Crew package)
Gambling (Engine Crew package)
History (Explorer package)
Perception (Explorer package)
Security (Explorer package)
Survival (Explorer package)
Tech/Postech (Engine Crew package)

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#79 Post by DexterWard »

Hmmmmm...I dug around the core book and couldn't find anything that talks about the Class skills. It only says if a skil shows up in both a training pkg and a Background pkg then it starts at lvl 1

So you might be right.

Mister-Kent?

Per original Characters and Character Creation thread post:
Pick a training package from your class.
Each class offers eight different training packages to reflect common skills and education for a certain type of character. Choose one appropriate to your character concept and record the granted skills on your character sheet. For skills labeled “Any”, any skill specialization may be chosen, but you may not double up on a skill already existing in the package. For example, a package granting “Combat/Any” and “Combat/Projectile” means you cannot choose “Combat/Projectile” twice. Training package skills start at level 0. If you already have a given skill from your background package, the skill starts at level 1 instead.
And from the SWN core book:
Background packages grant skills. Skills are specifi c topics in which a character has received some training. Skills are measured in levels, ranging from 0 for those with minimal training to 5 or higher for the greatest practitioners in the galaxy. Each skill listed in the background package is gained at level 0

If a skill reads “Any”, such as “Combat/Any” or “Tech/Any”, you may choose any specialty of that skill, such as “Combat/Projectile” or “Tech/Postech”. For entries that read “Culture/World”, you should choose a specifi c planet for which to apply the skill- most probably your character’s homeworld.

After you choose a background package, you should then turn to your class description page and select a Training Package. Th is represents the additional experience you received that gave you the training you now rely on. As with background packages, you should customize your choice to reflect your character’s history.

Each training package also provides a list of skills. As with background packages, your character gains each skill listed at level 0. If a skill appears in both your background package and your training package, you gain it at level 1 instead of level 0.

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#80 Post by kmbll »

I can't check now but I'm pretty sure they're a point cheaper to purchase with skills points gained from leveling.

Return to “Cat's Cradle (SWN)”