OOC Discussion

Mister-Kent
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC Discussion

#101 Post by Mister-Kent »

So much awesome in the Prelude! You guys rock!

Also, Dex and anyone else working on their homeworld--don't concern yourself overmuch with the details unless it's fun for you! :D I don't want people to feel like its homework. That said, I know some of you are all about it though, so have at it--everything posted so far and that has been discussed in PM has been fitting together really well.

Updates and such later today.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Pulpatoon »

I haven't been working on Killdozer's homeworld. I'm willing to take whatever is dished out to me—I figure even the nicest planet can have a nasty underbelly large enough to fit an underground gladiator ring in it. And it's not as though Killdozer ever went sightseeing.

He does, however, speak whatever the main language of that planet is.

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#103 Post by kmbll »

Are there going to be any House Rules?

I think the biggest one is (that the developer has even backed) is using two months instead of two weeks for life support. I think another one to consider is to double skills points per level.

Glintwine
Scout
Scout

#104 Post by Glintwine »

I heard about those Developer reccomendations too. If anyone wants to see them, they are all well documented in this thread: http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?t=28869

I don't know if doubling skill points per level would be necessary as opposed to just +1 per level, but I suppose it's something to consider, as are all of the offered house rules.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Marullus »

I like doubling over +1... It preserves the class differentiation (more skill points is the Experts advantage) while allowing faster learning and enough flex to do things like Culture points.

Play by post is slow, and it would be gratifying to advance things faster.

That said, it might be fairer to all classes to simply enhance the rate of XP rather than more complex house rules, so each class advances equitably.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by Enoch »

Doubling advantages Experts, but only at the expense of the other classes.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#107 Post by kmbll »

The problem is that other classes don't gain enough skills points to either become very good at one thing or relatively good at a couple of others. It definitely helps experts a lot but they're already slightly worse than psychics because they lack of the psionics and warriors are much better at combat. I think the +1 per level for all classes per level is a good compromise though.

Glintwine
Scout
Scout

#108 Post by Glintwine »

Marullus wrote: Play by post is slow, and it would be gratifying to advance things faster.
I see the wisdom there. With that in mind, yeah, I see the logic in doubling skill points or increasing XP gain.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#109 Post by Enoch »

Honestly, assuming the classes are reasonably balanced (and given that Expert seems to be the most-used class in our campaign, I'd assume they are), some sort of XP multiplier would be the fairest way to do it, so that each class benefits according to their strengths. A flat bonus to skill points isn't fair to Experts, because it dilutes what makes them special (a +1 to skills/level across the board takes them from 50% more skills/level than other classes to 33%), but granting a multiplier to skills only grants a greater benefit to that class than to other classes. It would be fairer to grant a flat +10%/25%/50%/100%/whatever increase to XP.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#110 Post by kmbll »

The problem is that the classes are not balanced and it's even been acknowledged by the developer and he's said it's going to be in the next updated version. His recommendation is the +1 per level (I like the double per level because we're already playing super jacked characters and with a huge party, I feel like the GM is either going to make moves to split us or throw crazy shit at us). I don't really like the experience bonus because one of the unique and better aspects of SWN is that you only get experience through completing missions and through accomplishing goals - at the discretion of the GM so artificially applying that seems off to me.

Also what's the plan for getting things moving? I'm all excited and stuff but it seems like we've been sitting on the prelude for longer than I personally expected.

Glintwine
Scout
Scout

#111 Post by Glintwine »

Enoch wrote:Honestly, assuming the classes are reasonably balanced (and given that Expert seems to be the most-used class in our campaign, I'd assume they are), some sort of XP multiplier would be the fairest way to do it, so that each class benefits according to their strengths. A flat bonus to skill points isn't fair to Experts, because it dilutes what makes them special (a +1 to skills/level across the board takes them from 50% more skills/level than other classes to 33%), but granting a multiplier to skills only grants a greater benefit to that class than to other classes. It would be fairer to grant a flat +10%/25%/50%/100%/whatever increase to XP.
Well, don't forget that Experts have more going on for them than JUST more skill points per level than other classes - they also get more skills to start with in their Training Packages and don't have to spend as many points to increase most skills since ALL non-combat skills (other than tactics and tech/Psitech) are class skills for them. Not to mention their "Like a Charm" ability. I also don't think that giving all classes a flat bonus to skill points would somehow make Experts less special, since they would also benefit from the bonus, but I suppose that's just my opinion.

This talk about EXP bonuses and multipliers probably is a little unnecessary though since EXP is given for completing goals in this game, based on how much the GM thinks that goal is worth. And since no one has earned any EXP yet, we have no idea how generous or stingy Mister-Kent is going to be with it. While I see the value in discussing it early, I don't see it as really being so much of an issue that we have to start making clear house rules just yet.

The argument for double skill points for everyone definitely makes sense to me, but only if everyone really wants that quick power climb. We're already a pretty powerful group what with the bonuses from cool points, the Other Dust classes to pick from, and just the largeness of our group in general, so I don't think that we necessarily NEED even more extra power on top of that, but I can definitely understand the appeal if people really want to specialize. Advocating for more power in order to better tackle challenges doesn't really make sense either, since the stronger we are, the more difficult challenges will become to match. :P
kmbll wrote: Also what's the plan for getting things moving? I'm all excited and stuff but it seems like we've been sitting on the prelude for longer than I personally expected.
I can put together a list of all our options if you give me a few minutes. Might make it easier to come to a group decision. I certainly know that I personally am not totally up to speed with every course we could take from here.

Glintwine
Scout
Scout

#112 Post by Glintwine »

Well it looks like we only have the two options: (shows how much I was paying attention to the middle bit there xP)

Option 1: Aquire (probably forcibly) terraforming equipment from Amir

Option 2: Aquire "specimens" from the Daksha system to bring to contacts on Bittori. "Father Paolo Galino" is our contact.

Amir is by far the closest, so I say we hit them for their Seeders and damn the consequences. Maybe we can even get them peacefully by just convincing them to sell to us or stealing some schematics or something. Madoshi and our other techno-experts could be useful for that, I imagine.

Glintwine
Scout
Scout

#113 Post by Glintwine »

Well it looks like we only have the two options: (shows how much I was paying attention to the middle bit there xP)

Option 1: Aquire (probably forcibly) terraforming equipment from Amir

Option 2: Aquire "specimens" from the Daksha system to bring to contacts on Bittori. "Father Paolo Galino" is our contact.

Amir is by far the closest, so I say we hit them for their Seeders and damn the consequences. Maybe we can even get them peacefully by just convincing them to sell to us or stealing some schematics or something. Madoshi and our other techno-experts could be useful for that, I imagine.

kmbll
Guide
Guide

#114 Post by kmbll »

I think it's:

Guy's Objectives:
1) Acquire a crop seeder on Amir - which sounds easy on the surface but a force that's capable of terraforming a world sounds....strong.
2) Contact on Bittori

Raquel's Objectives:
1) Transport fighters for Augmantinee (which appears to have been subverted by Pulp's fucking awesome moment (and I think he achieved a goal by doing so honestly)).

Malachi's Objectives:
1) Trade live specimens on Daksha (Just read it and it seems like they're paying from Bittori to GO TO Daksha so that might lead us to Bittori as well.
2) Clone ship with few details.

I also checked the bounty board so hopefully Mister-Kent will populate a couple of missions from there as well.

Edit: Just saw Glintwine's update. I would agree that Amir seems the most practical and fun (which makes me most wary from a GM perspective!). Bittori seems like where we should be going but I'm for what looks to be more profitable (and closer!) at Amir.

explosiveghast
Scout
Scout

#115 Post by explosiveghast »

Madoshi is awaiting the results from a hack on Shefelbine's ship computers. What he finds could give us some direction as well.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Marullus »

I think discussion of house rules about XP is superfluous, as the GM will award as he see fits. At best, it is a general request to him to have a game where we can advance at a faster pace (more like Guardians of the Galaxy than Firefly, in that case). I'm fine with any additional skill points, as I love skill points.
Malachi's Objectives:
1) Trade live specimens on Daksha (Just read it and it seems like they're paying from Bittori to GO TO Daksha so that might lead us to Bittori as well.
2) Clone ship with few details.
I understood three leads.

1) Get live specimens from Daksha and deliver them to Bittori.
2) Acquire Highshine from an "Other Dust" planet and sell it on Dynamene.
3) Find and interact with the cloner ship. (No buyer, just existence... I kinda like the idea of commissioning our own clones in the event of character death. :) )

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Marullus »

...can we keep the "what do we do next" conversation in the Prelude thread, and allow both IC and OOC? :)

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#118 Post by Mister-Kent »

Sorry about the delay in posting. A few ill-timed surprise double-shifts. I'll be around all day to post and update!
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#119 Post by Mister-Kent »

Yeah, there are a few House Rules I'll list in the rules and announcements thread. The life support one I just saw the other day and am glad for. I think an across-the-board XP increase is more than fair.

Some of you have some behind the scenes skill rolls I need to respond to, but I expect we'll leave the Prelude by Friday :D
Playing

Coleridge
Guide
Guide

#120 Post by Coleridge »

Sorry for the delay. Working on a character now.

Return to “Cat's Cradle (SWN)”