CHAPTER ONE: It all starts, oddly enough, in a tavern...

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: CHAPTER ONE: It all starts, oddly enough, in a tavern...

#81 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Captain Ollenstask approaches after allowing you several minutes of discussion amongst yourselves.

"Gentlemen, we'll reconvene with the Lady Alcastra at dawn. You may take your meal at the mess hall then bunk down in Squad B's barracks. Until I see you at the tower doors, then — dismissed."

OOC: If there's anything you want to RP over the course of the evening, just let me know; otherwise I can hit the fast forward button. Spellcasters should likewise let me know if they're praying for/memorizing different spells for tomorrow.
Failure is always an option.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#82 Post by Gelatinous Q »

2 Patchwall, 576 CY
Alcastra’s garrison

The next day dawns cool and bright. The buffeting winds of yesterday have died down overnight.

You dress and make your morning rituals, then file out of the empty bunkhouse. Captain Ollenstask is waiting for you. He nods and leads you, in silence, back to the tower’s battlements where Alcastra, now in sheer black robes, waits.

“Friends,” she starts, “have you arrived at a decision?”

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by onlyme »

Gelatinous Q wrote:2 Patchwall, 576 CY
Alcastra’s garrison

The next day dawns cool and bright. The buffeting winds of yesterday have died down overnight.

You dress and make your morning rituals, then file out of the empty bunkhouse. Captain Ollenstask is waiting for you. He nods and leads you, in silence, back to the tower’s battlements where Alcastra, now in sheer black robes, waits.

“Friends,” she starts, “have you arrived at a decision?”

Iomhar is temporarly distracted by Alacastra's robe and the fact that her pleasant looking assistants are not in view. He gathers his thoughts enough to begin,
Milady, I would like to speak for all in thanking you and your kind folks for providing us with such comfortable housing last eve. I believe we are unanamous in our interest in this quest. There are very few requests the group deems necessary if we are to successfully return your prize to you.

Bran, I believe you have the summary at the ready?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Argennian »

Savik steps forward, and with a flourish of his hands, bows formally to the wizardess and then the captain, as soon as his young human companion offers the party's answer. "Milady, captain. As master Iomhar has stated, we are indeed united in our decision and resolve in graciously accepting your offer of service and will commit to doing everything within our power to bring back that which you seek. Master Bran does in fact have a confirmed list of materials that we have all decided could be of utility in our quest... however," the elf clears his throat and lowers his head again, "if I may be so bold and direct, we would most humbly and respectfully wish to solicit the continued use of the mounts we traveled to your mighty fortress with, in the sincere interest of cutting down on our travel and search time, as well as having the capability to return more rapidly with your item or perhaps even circumvent any roadblocks or delays that might befall one traveling on foot? If milady would allow us this simple stipend, and perhaps some other mere miscellaneous mundanes, we can then put the gathering of our desired equipment to the forefront and quickly be on our way, with your approval, of course, milady." Savik again lowers his head and holds his hands out, palms up, hoping he worded their request respectfully enough.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#85 Post by Alethan »

Bran leans forward and whispers, "Well said, lad."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#86 Post by Gelatinous Q »

"The use of mounts and tack is granted," Alcastra nods. "Your stipend should amply cover the expense of feeding and stabling. Should any ill befall these steeds, their cost shall be deducted from your final reward."

OOC: assume PHB prices for light horses and mules for your liability.

"Regarding the other items," she continues, "I will do my best, within reason, to provision you from my stores without depriving my men." She turns to Bran and speaks to him in dwarvish. "What are these things you require?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#87 Post by Alethan »

Gelatinous Q wrote: "Regarding the other items," she continues, "I will do my best, within reason, to provision you from my stores without depriving my men." She turns to Bran and speaks to him in dwarvish. "What are these things you require?"
"Errrr..." Bran stumbles, thrown off by Alcastra's use of the Dwarven language. "I, ummm..." he continues in common, but then switches over to Dwurish, "What I mean to say is," he bows his head slightly, "we humbly request the following items from your stores: two lanterns, eight flasks of oil, a bag of spikes and a smith's hammer, and two quivers of extra arrows. Additionally, we thought, er... some of us being not as familiar with the surrounding vales, that is... that you might be able to provide us with a guide who could speed up our travel time to Tassin's Wood and, from there, to the Loegrimm Valley. Our thoughts being, the less time we spend traveling, the more time we'll be able to spend searching for the tower..." he trails off. "If you think we would be able to buy enough provisions for ourselves in Tassin's Wood, then we should endeavor to do so; otherwise, if you have some to spare, we would gladly pay you fair value for whatever food you might make available." Then, a flush upon his cheeks, he bows his head even more and clears his throat, "Forgive me, madame, for it is not so often I come across one who can make the Dwarven language sound so beautiful."

He then straightens up, takes in a deep breath, and settles into a comfortable stance and awaits her reply.

OOC: After looking through our inventory, we have several people with torches already, so we don't need those. Thought it better to not press our luck. Likewise, most of us have one to two weeks of trail rations already in hand - it wouldn't cost much to pick up another two weeks of rations in Tassin's Wood if they have it or to buy it from Alcastra if she thinks they might not have enough. Again, seems like she's at the edge of being polite, so I thought it best not to press our luck past a few lanterns, some oil, and some arrows... and a guide.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#88 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Alcastra smiles gently at the flustered dwarf. "I should hardly think you will need a guide to find your way to Tassin's Wood," she replies. "'Tis but only several hours' ride farther down the road you were on yesterday. Nonetheless, Sergeant Shadwraith is bound there today on furlough, and may accompany you if you wish. As for providing a guide beyond the village, you would be better served finding one there. Tassin's Wood is at the farthest western reach of my fiefdom and to send my men beyond their borders on an expedition such as this might be seen as a provocation in some quarters. The villagers, besides, will know the lay of the land much more thoroughly.

"The oil, lanterns and arrows may be taken from our storehouse. The hammer and spikes you will have to purchase in Tassin's Wood; we simply do not have them to spare. The smith there is quite able — Ramblinggate by name. He supplies our armaments. Seek him out.

Is there nought else?"

OOC: point of clarification: Alcastra switched back to Common for this portion of the exchange.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#89 Post by Alethan »

Bran thinks for a moment and replies, back in common, "No, madam. That will do." He turns to the rest of the group, "We'll be able to obtain two lanterns, oil, and a few quivers of extra arrows from the stores here. The rest will need to be purchased in Tannis' Wood, which is where we're headed, anyway. Let's get our things organized and packed so we can head out before the sun is high in the sky."

Bran bows to Alcastra and says, "With your permission, we'll quickly pack and be on our way."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by onlyme »

I assume Alacastra's response was also in dwarfish, and not understood by Iomhar.

Iomar listened intently to the dialogue but understood very little. Only that there is either no guide at all, or if there is, Mirranscheim was not mentioned as the one. He is second guessing turning down her advances last evening. Oh well. He nods at Bran's summary.

Milady, If I may... I feel remiss if I dont speak once more. I recall your early emphasis on discretion. Please take heed that we may use language in negotiations forthcoming that may sound to the unknowing as if we do not favor milady. Please forgive us, as we want to shield you from risks we encounter and may distance ourselves as necessary to gain favors. I can most assuredly tell you that these shall be in words only, and not the slightest of truth toward our respect and admiration of you.

Secondly, this magnificient shrine of steel and artestry you have lent to us, I shall protect it as if it were the baron's future daughter herself. Pray tell, are there any quirks with using it I should be made aware? Hopefully I may return with it as clean of blood as it is this morn.

And finally, milady, in our haste we have forgotten to ask some simple questions. This book is fragile I presume. How do we identify it amongst several others? Is there a particular form of care we shall use to keep it safe? A simple cloth sack I fear could ruin it if we endure the gods' tears.

I sincerely hope we do not disappoint.
Last edited by onlyme on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#91 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Ack. Sorry, forgot about the wooden chest...

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:OOC: Ack. Sorry, forgot about the wooden chest...

Oh you did? Didnt realize that. I couldnt understand dwarfish ;)

I assume you didnt ask for one of the "fetching" apprentices as guides either...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Argennian »

After Alcastra finishes addressing Iomhar, Savik will respectfully ask her if she has any contacts or people of interest that they might approach for assistance, other than the head priest at the local temple.

He'll also ask if there's anyone or any groups in particular that we should try to avoid or be wary of, obviously with the intent on avoiding undue drama or potential spies or agents that might be working against her and her quest for the book.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by onlyme »

Argennian wrote:After Alcastra finishes addressing Iomhar, Savik will respectfully ask her if she has any contacts or people of interest that they might approach for assistance, other than the head priest at the local temple.

He'll also ask if there's anyone or any groups in particular that we should try to avoid or be wary of, obviously with the intent on avoiding undue drama or potential spies or agents that might be working against her and her quest for the book.

Those she answered last page. No one specific to ask. No one of note to avoid. Maybe some agents in the area, but not the actual rivals. (unless she was just annoyed with Iomhar and didnt give him a complete answer...)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#95 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote:
Alethan wrote:OOC: Ack. Sorry, forgot about the wooden chest...

Oh you did? Didnt realize that. I couldnt understand dwarfish ;)

I assume you didnt ask for one of the "fetching" apprentices as guides either...
I did ask about a guide. We got one of her soldiers up to Tannis' Wood; after that, we're to find our own guide. Response below...
Gelatinous Q wrote:Alcastra smiles gently at the flustered dwarf. "I should hardly think you will need a guide to find your way to Tassin's Wood," she replies. "'Tis but only several hours' ride farther down the road you were on yesterday. Nonetheless, Sergeant Shadwraith is bound there today on furlough, and may accompany you if you wish. As for providing a guide beyond the village, you would be better served finding one there. Tassin's Wood is at the farthest western reach of my fiefdom and to send my men beyond their borders on an expedition such as this might be seen as a provocation in some quarters. The villagers, besides, will know the lay of the land much more thoroughly.
Also...
Gelatinous Q wrote: OOC: point of clarification: Alcastra switched back to Common for this portion of the exchange.
I guess you could have assumed my missing the request for the chest by her response, which was in common.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Argennian »

onlyme wrote:
Argennian wrote:After Alcastra finishes addressing Iomhar, Savik will respectfully ask her if she has any contacts or people of interest that they might approach for assistance, other than the head priest at the local temple.

Those she answered last page. No one specific to ask. No one of note to avoid. Maybe some agents in the area, but not the actual rivals. (unless she was just annoyed with Iomhar and didnt give him a complete answer...)
OOC: yeah, I realize that but for some reason just thought she might have been playing her cards close to the vest, so to speak, and purposely holding out on us until we decided to confirm accepting her offer (you know, in order to keep a greedy bloke from going to solicit the competition kind of thing! :) )

I could be over-roleplaying on my part though. Wouldn't be the first time! :roll: :lol:

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by onlyme »

Gelatinous Q wrote: Nonetheless, Sergeant Shadwraith is bound there today on furlough, and may accompany you if you wish.

Upon clearing his head, and realizing this exchange was in fact in common language and thus understood, Iomhar is at least grateful the guide isnt the one who had to relinquish the sword. No telling where he may have "guided" them.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#98 Post by Gelatinous Q »

onlyme wrote:
Milady, If I may... I feel remiss if I dont speak once more. I recall your early emphasis on discretion. Please take heed that we may use language in negotiations forthcoming that may sound to the unknowing as if we do not favor milady. Please forgive us, as we want to shield you from risks we encounter and may distance ourselves as necessary to gain favors. I can most assuredly tell you that these shall be in words only, and not the slightest of truth toward our respect and admiration of you.

Secondly, this magnificient shrine of steel and artestry you have lent to us, I shall protect it as if it were the baron's future daughter herself. Pray tell, are there any quirks with using it I should be made aware? Hopefully I may return with it as clean of blood as it is this morn.

And finally, milady, in our haste we have forgotten to ask some simple questions. This book is fragile I presume. How do we identify it amongst several others? Is there a particular form of care we shall use to keep it safe? A simple cloth sack I fear could ruin it if we endure the gods' tears.

I sincerely hope we do not disappoint.
She laughs at Iomhar's query. "My boy, if you plan to win confidences by slandering my name at every opportunity, you've already struck upon a golden stratagem for these parts. Short of harming the citizens of Tassin's Wood, I care little what tactics you use to recover the book.

"I know not in what condition you'll find The Illhiedrin Book, perchance you indeed find it. It is centuries old, and has been subject to who knows what depredations all these years in Charellsfane's tower. Many years ago, I did have occasion to steal a look at the now-debunked counterfeit in Rel Mord and can only tell you what I know of it: it is a tall, slender volume, clad in the hide of a black dragon. If the true Illhiedrin Book conforms to this description, I cannot say.

"The sword, though magicked, should require no special handling."

"The people of Tassin's Wood are simple, earthy folk, and you'll find among them the same prejudices and predilections you'll find elsewhere. Though I would like to think my protection has won over their trust, I cannot say what resides in their hearts.

"As I stated last night, I suspect that there may be parties en route from Rauxes and Rel Mord, perhaps elsewhere. Those cities lie a considerable distance away. With luck, we'll have gotten the drop on them."

emirikol57
Strider
Strider

#100 Post by emirikol57 »

Ulfronde gracefully bows as the lady leaves.

I think we should gather the gear we need and get moving.

Return to “1E Greyhawk: Strange Days in Ratik”