[Completed] - Orrin/Logging - 21 April, 1 VC

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Orrin/Logging - 21 April, 1 VC

#301 Post by Zorroroaster »

The 4 stands for initiative.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by Keehnelf »

Round Eight: The Most Fateful Round

Enemy Initiative [1d6] = 6

The orcs can feel victory, and a mighty cry erupts from them as a group, a "Waaaagh!" of nearly head-splitting intensity interspersed with snorts and grunts. Two of the orcs, having been disarmed for various reasons seconds before, turn from the melee surrounding Orrin to recover their weapons. Orrin takes aim at one, but the crush is too much and he is unable to connect with the attack.

Orrin vs. Orc behind [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9, [1d8+1] = 2+1 = 3

The orc that had begun waking the others continues his work this round, staggering to one of the remaining sleepers from the second round of arrivals and shaking him roughly, snarling in his face. The rest turn weapons on the dwarf, attempting to bait him into creating an opening for their attacks. Orrin is able to keep four in front of him, but two manage to arrange themselves away from his shield where he is more vulnerable. Orrin, sensing his doom approach, smashes his sword through the blade of one of the orcs as he attacks, shattering it down to a shard, though it remains useful as an improvised dagger. The orc cries out in rage, incensed at being un-orced in such a way. At the same time, one orc slashes through Orrin's arm with its sword and another lands a devastating blow that sends the dwarf's helm flying with one of his ears still inside (critical hit, 6 damage, plus 5 for the standard hit for a total of 11). The dwarf lands heavily on the ground, bleeding wildly from his damaged ear and his nose.

Orcs vs. Orrin front [1d20] = 12, [1d20] = 1, [1d20] = 17, [1d20] = 20
Orc damage vs. Orrin [1d6] = 5

The remainder of the orcs turn their attention toward the arriving combatants, Naila and Remus, who charge into the fray with bold ideas. Naila wraps bandages tightly around Jem's horribly injured arm, while Remus aims an axe-blow more designed to drive the orcs back than to finish any of them off. However, he targets the orc that just laid Orrin low and has its back turned to him, and the axe lands with a satisfying thunk in the orc's skull, causing him to drop immediately to the ground alongside the dwarf with a low gurgle. Lug's arrow strikes the side of the structure, from within which the drumbeats are continuing to echo.

Foes On the Field:
Orc 4: 2 HP (asleep)
Orc 5: 6 HP (stumbling awake)
Orc 6: 6 HP
Orc 7: 1 HP (dagger-sword)
Orc 8: 1 HP
Orc 9: 8 HP
Orc 13: 7 HP
Orc 14: 5 HP
Orc 15: 2 HP
Orc 16: 5 HP

Orrin: Injured and bleeding
Jem : Injured but stable
Adrienne: Injured but stable

Actions and Initiative!

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#303 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Remus quickly moves into position to guard Naila as she works on Jem and now Orrin. He picks out a wounded orc among the large throng of them and swipes with his axe while calling out, "Come on ya brutes! I'm old and feeble but I've got enough life left to deal with you welps!"

Hand Axe, To Hit: [1d20+1] = 16+1 = 17, Damage: [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Here's the initiative roll too

Initiative: [1d6] = 2

Well... I suggest someone roll something higher.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by Zorroroaster »

Initiative: [1d6] = 2

I was going to try and be useful... guess not.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by Zhym »

"Let's get out of here, I said," Lug mutters to himself. "There'll be too many of them, I said. Gah!" He lets loose another arrow, aiming for any orc that isn't next to Orrin, Jem, Adrienne, and Nailia—preferably one that has its back to him.

Symurgwyl (Longbow +1/+2): [1d20+2] = 9+2 = 11, Dmg: [1d8+2] = 5+2 = 7

GTan_Baq
Ranger
Ranger

#307 Post by GTan_Baq »

Naila moves to Orrin and binds his wounds.
The optimist, "The glass is half full."
The pessimist, "The glass is half empty."
The gamer, "I drink the water; what happens?"

Greed shall be thy undoing!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by Keehnelf »

Round Nine:

Enemy Initiative [1d6] = 4

Several of the orcs split off to attempt to subdue Naila while the remainder turn to bring the wild-eyed Remus down. The monsters' flashing blades cut at her and she is quickly brought to ground (she takes ten points of damage from the several attacks). Her robes blossom with new color as her life's-blood causes it to mirror her dark red hair.

Orcs vs Naila [1d20] = 12, [1d20] = 18, [1d20] = 20
Orc damage [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 5

Remus is beset and swarmed, with four attacking him from the front and two behind. He is stalwart in deflecting the incoming blows from several but one manages to slip under his guard and thrust its broken-bladed sword deeply into his side, dealing a grievous wound to the old man (he takes 4 damage from a critical hit). At the same time, one of the two attacking from the rear exposes himself dangerously in order to take advantage of Remus' retreat from the injury, and manages to graze his ribs from behind (2 additional damage from this attack), though he parries his companion's attack in the process and causes him to go sprawling in the dirt. The old man is still standing, but only barely, as he whirls to face the one who had struck him from behind. His axe connects, splitting the skull of the grinning pig-faced monster before it can react.

Orcs vs. Remus front [1d20] = 8, [1d20] = 18, [1d20] = 3, [1d20] = 20
Orcs vs. Remus rear [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19, [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3
Orc damage [1d6] = 2

Lug's arrow, fired at the easiest-looking target, finds another target than its intended--which turns out to be the smart orc who had been rousing the others. That creature lands face-first on the ground with an arrow through his throat.

Random target (9 is Remus) [1d9] = 2

The field looks a little better than it did seconds before, at least for those still standing...

Foes On the Field:
10 sleeping orcs from the first wave
Orc 5: 6 HP
Orc 7: 1 HP (dagger-sword)
Orc 8: 1 HP
Orc 9: 8 HP
Orc 15: 2 HP (on the ground)

Orrin: UNCERTAIN
Naila: Injured and bleeding

Orrin, please save vs. death since Naila did not make it to binding his wounds.

Actions and Initiative!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#309 Post by Zhym »

Lug reaches for another arrow, aware of the increasing amount of empty space in his quiver. He has eleven more shots after this one. The lair probably has more orcs than that.

He tries to pick off another orc, aiming for one that is far from Remus, if possible.

Symurgwyl (Longbow +1/+2): [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21, Dmg: [1d8+2] = 1+2 = 3
Initiative: [1d6] = 4

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#310 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Remus tries to back up, in a defensive retreat, to keep the orcs away from his flanks and back. "Is that be best the lot of you can do?!" he will hack at one of the orcs, aiming for an injured one...

Hand Axe, To Hit: [1d20+1] = 13+1 = 14, Damage: [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#311 Post by MonkeyWrench »

I'm good with keeping the 4 for init...

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by Keehnelf »

Round Ten:

Enemy Initiative [1d6] = 5

Remus and Lug are outnumbered and struggling just to create enough breathing space to manage even a withdrawal. Thankfully, though the orcs have the advantage in most ways, the pair are fast and able to keep the orcs guessing with their tactics.

Lug fires yet another arrow into the melee, striking one of the injured orcs and taking him out of the fight. Remus flashes the giant a thankful grin as he lodges his axe in the skull of the one with the broken sword, shoving his body into a second orc and sending it sprawling. At the same time, another one of the orcs steps in and drives the pommel of its sword against the old man's temple, dropping him to the ground. (he takes 3 damage)

Orcs vs. remus [1d20] = 14, [1d20] = 1, [1d20] = 8, [1d20] = 19
Orc damage [1d6] = 3

The orcs turn their attention toward Lug, still over 100 feet distant. "Give up!" calls one in halting common. "We not kill you. Very strong! Much respect."

Another orc in the group bends down to tend to Naila's wounds.

Foes On the Field:
10 sleeping orcs from the first wave
Orc 5: 6 HP
Orc 9: 8 HP (clambering back to his feet)
Orc 15: 2 HP

Remus: Injured but stable
Orrin: Still
Naila: Injured but stable

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#313 Post by Zhym »

Lug does the math. Five of them, one of him. Not the odds he prefers. But maybe none of them want to die, either. And they did stabilize Naila.

"Stay where you are!" he shouts. "Anyone who tries to come for me, draws a bow, or starts waking up sleeping orcs gets an arrow in the eye!"

If the orcs don't make any hostile moves, Lug will continue to parlay while still holding Smurf Grill at the ready. "Thank you for helping my friend. What do you plan to do with us?"

If the orcs make any move towards Lug, he'll loose his arrow then turn and run the way the party came in, towards the centaur's glade. If it seems like the orcs are gaining on him, he'll throw gems back in their direction, two at a time, hoping to distract them.

Rolls, if needed:
Initiative: [1d6] = 5
Symurgwyl (Longbow +1/+2): [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16, Dmg: [1d8+2] = 5+2 = 7

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by Keehnelf »

The orc who had spoken previously takes a moment to process Lug's words, and holds out a restraining hand to the other orcs, who have clustered around Orrin's unconscious form, hunkering down and prodding at it.

"Master want strong slaves. We bring strong slaves, get honor from Master. Get prizes. Bring dwarfs, get strong prizes." He points toward Orrin. "You come, be slave. No die; work. Or--" he motions to the orcs surrounding him, both conscious and not, "You run, you fight, you die."

Lug clearly hears the sounds of more hurried orc-feet coming toward the entrance of the structure, along with guttural commands.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#315 Post by Zhym »

"How big are these prizes?" answers Lug. "Are you familiar with the word 'ransom?'"

As before, if any orc makes an untoward move, Lug fires and runs:
Initiative: [1d6] = 6
Symurgwyl (Longbow +1/+2): [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16, Dmg: [1d8+2] = 8+2 = 10

Oh, sure, now the good rolls come up!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by Keehnelf »

"Randsaw? No, not know this word," responds the orc, as four more, a mixed group of archers and swordsmen, appear from the entrance. It raises a supplicating hand toward the largest of the bunch, a surly-looking beast with pieced-together plated armor and only a single eye who wears a tattered red cloak over his shoulders.

"You come quick, put down weapon. Gruuk-darak very fast mad, not wait for talking." He indicates the newcomer in the red cloak.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by Zhym »

"It means I pay you, you let me go, and no one else dies. I'll leave you gems worth 200 gold pieces and a jar of magical ointment. All you have to do is not follow when I go. Sure, you could have the gems and ointment if you capture me, but I promise you, if you try to capture me, some of you will die."

"Follow me and die, or let me go, and profit. What will it be?"

As before, if any orc takes hostile action:
Symurgwyl (Longbow +1/+2): [1d20+2] = 18+2 = 20, Dmg: [1d8+2] = 4+2 = 6

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by Keehnelf »

The orc turns to his companions and addresses them, specifically the one he called Gruuk-darak, in low tones. Gruuk-darak beats his chest with one mailed fist a couple of times and points in Lug's direction, obviously indicating that he thinks he can catch him and take him, even at this distance and with no ranged weapon in evidence. The smaller one makes a few pleading motions and signals the large number of still-sleeping and dead orcs lying around the field of battle before motioning to the several unconscious adventurers nearby, making significant gestures toward Orrin and even getting down and tapping the dwarf's shield with one hand appreciatively.

Finally, the big orc relents, and the original orc returns to the parlay.

"Gruuk-darak say your deal is strong. But, you drop bow with antman and golds. Very strong, very dangerous. You keep sword, go home with sword. And life." He waits half-patiently for the response, as though aware that a timer has been set on the big orc's response.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#319 Post by Zhym »

"Uh-uh. I went through a hell of a lot for this bow, and I need it in case you decide to go back on the deal. Besides, you wouldn't get much use out of the bow anyway. It has powerful enchantments to prevent it being used for anything fun."

He grunts. "Tell you what I will do, though. I'll add in this ancient dwarven ring. It's got some sort of history behind it; probably belonged to some dwarven king or other. It's worth at least 500 gold, and that's not even counting the historical value. Your boss there might find that very pretty on his finger, yes?"

If needed:
Symurgwyl (Longbow +1/+2): [1d20+2] = 9+2 = 11, Dmg: [1d8+2] = 3+2 = 5

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by Keehnelf »

The orc confers with his "boss" briefly, then turns back. "OK, ring and arrows."

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”