IV. The Witch Tower

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IV. The Witch Tower

#401 Post by Storm11 »

Once Festus is clear of the goop Kassel places the candle upon the floor and pulls forth his empty glass bottle.

"I wonder if we could harvest some of this. It may come in handy!" he says looking at the left over residue.

"He is alive? Phew. We need to get topside quickly. Anyone know any healing techniques to help the fellow out?"
Greys Campaign.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#402 Post by onlyme »

Fulp answers,

I don't think smacking him will help this injury like it does open battle wounds. But, I think he is holding stable. Let's work to get him topside quickly, and see if a night's rest helps him recover.

With that, he finishes getting the green goo burnt off the rope, so they have something to haul him up with.

(edited to change ooc to dialog)
Last edited by onlyme on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#403 Post by Alethan »

Ciar assists Fulp... in carefully removing the sludge from his silken rope. Once it is clean, he loops the rope around his arm with great care and stows it back in his pack.

"Someone is going to have to carry him out..." Ciar says. "I can take lead with a torch or lantern, but I can't carry the dark man."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#404 Post by dmw71 »

"I'm already carrying quite the load," Festus grumbles. "But I'll take an end."

"Someone else will grab the other, no?"
he asks. With that, the dwarf grips beneath Sparrow's arms and lifts the upper torso of the unconscious human and waits for someone else to grab his legs. "I'll walk backwards," Festus says. "Now let's move."

The group is reduced to moving at half speed, but is able to successfully make it back to the entrance, but are still in the basement. "Only two flights," Festus states, looking up into the dark, moonlight sky above. "And he," he continues, setting his half of Sparrow down to give his arms a rest, "Was the one with all the rope skills."
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#405 Post by Alethan »

"Not the only one," Ciar mutters. Then, more loudly, "Someone boost me up to the first level. I'll tie the rope off there and we can get everyone up to it, then boost me up to the second level and I'll do the same."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#406 Post by AleBelly »

Exhausted from helping the dwarf carry Sparrow, he breathes a bit heavily as he offers a suggestion to the party.

"I know a hot meal and a comfy bed sounds great right now, but if drop Sparrow hoisting him up, we're likely to kill him. Let's sleep here for the night, I'll prepare some healing spells and get him back on his feet. Then we head back to town and have a few pints of ale and resupply. Sound good?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#407 Post by Alethan »

"No way, mate," Ciar shakes his head in reply. "Still a chance of sommit comin up on us down here, innit? Let's haul him outta here and get something hot to eat. When most of us are on the next level, we tie the rope around him and haul him up. Then the last person comes up. Then we repeat it for the second level. Lower him down the side after that, everyone down the ramp, back to town, and time for an ale."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#408 Post by Storm11 »

Kassel agrees with the halfling
Greys Campaign.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#409 Post by onlyme »

Fulp agrees with the gnome.

If we be smart about it, we can certainly get him up top and in better health. Down here, could be more, gulp, centipedes.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#410 Post by dmw71 »

"Even if I agreed with you," Festus says to Sylvan, "We'd still be out numbered," his eyes moving from Ciar to Kassal and stopping at Fulp.

"How are we going to do this?" he asks.
-- Project --
-- DM --

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#411 Post by AleBelly »

Sylvan shrugs. "Fine with me. But we've explored this tower. The only surprises can come from the door I barred. I'm fine with hauling Sparrow up while he's unconscious, but I don't like the idea. Since it's your idea, you can figure it out. I'll help how I can."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#412 Post by Alethan »

"Already said it, hadn't I?" Ciar frowns. "Someone hoist me up to the first floor. I'll tie off me rope and let it down. Once most everyone is up, last one down there ties the rope around the dark one and we pull 'em up. Then the last one comes up. And we do the same for the second floor. Once we make it out, we lower him to the ground, because carrying him down that ramp would be dangerous."

"By the way, we've not explored everything else properly. Festus and I did a quick run through the other area with our dark vision, but that's not at all 'cleared' in any way. Lots of places for hidden passages somewhere, maybe how those kobolds got inside in the first place without people seein' them. Or maybe sommit was lurkin' about, staying hidden and waitin' for us to make camp. In any case, no reason to stay in a place of danger when there's a place of safety straight above us."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#413 Post by onlyme »

Fulp asks Ciar...

Sounds like you are a certainly more of an expert on lifting things and climbing out of basements than me. Who would you recommend as going second through last? I am willing to partake in whatever you think is most logical, my friend. And with that, he will go in whatever order Ciar suggests.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#414 Post by dmw71 »

Note: Per the following post, it is 15' from the floor to the first floor of the tower, and it is another 15' from the first floor to the second.

"The trap door opens into a chamber about fifteen feet beneath the main level."

This fact may or mat not throw a proverbial wrench into Ciar's plan, but it does merit mentioning.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#415 Post by Alethan »

Ciar shrugs, "I'm no expert, mate. Just don't like sleeping in dungeons is all. Doesn't make any difference who goes up in what order aside from maybe the guy who can't help hoist the dead weight being the last one up after the dead weight is hoisted."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#416 Post by Storm11 »

"Perhaps if one of you tall ones stands on the others shoulders Ciar could climb up you like a humanoid ladder?" Kassel suggests innocently.
Greys Campaign.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#417 Post by onlyme »

Fulp nods,
Sure if we can brace against something. I'll be the base, if Sylvan, you do not mind being the second rung. Although... Is that table loose? or maybe those cots we saw? MAybe we are overthinking this, and can just stack a couple things together and make a ladder for Ciar or Kassal to climb?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#418 Post by Alethan »

Ciar nods in agreement and begins examining the cots and bunks and other materials in the room to grab anything that is sturdy enough for the plan.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#419 Post by dmw71 »

The walls of the entry chamber still buckle precariously in several places, and masonry and dirt from the collapse still litter the floor. There are five beds in this long deserted barrack, and while have dry-rotted frames, you're collectively able to assemble a platform rising 6' off the ground, leaving only 9' to cover in order to reach the first floor.

Ciar, whose reach extends his 3'9" height by another foot-and-a-half, is able to easily reach the first floor and pull himself up when standard on someone's shoulders or being boosted by either Fulp or Sylvan, currently the tallest members of the party with Sparrow not factoring into the equation at the moment.

Once safety on the main floor of the collapsed tower, Ciar secures an end of a rope and lowers the other end for the remaining members to use for their own ascents, as well as the hoisting of Sparrow's limp form, which, you suspect, approaches 200 pounds even without any armor or equipment.

I'll need to know the order you guys want to send up the remaining party members, including Sparrow. I'll share that Festus has the greatest strength In the group, but it's also the most heavily encumbered, and probably the worst climber.

Rolls
Platform height in feet: [1d4+3] = 3+3 = 6
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#420 Post by Alethan »

It's a short enough distance, Ciar wagers, that he can quickly tie some half-hitch loops in the rope for people to use while climbing the rope.

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”