Session 24: The Search for Jerrod

#1 Post by Johnny Champion »

DM: Place questions and comments for the Search for Jerrod in this Topic

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Players Perspective:

#2 Post by Johnny Champion »

Grand Duke Leopold IV son Jerrod, Ranger of Nouveau, is missing. In the Grand Duke’s entourage are Elissa, a Dominion Wizard and Haldric, the Royal Vicar of Malazar.

The party has been summoned to find the fate of Jerrod, the heir of Wesphalia

The party has some claim to the area in which he was last seen. This area is near Reynolds Mountain, part of a range of isolated hills in the Schöll Valley. So named due to an abandoned, ruined keep on its summit. Count Reynolds, legend says, was a minor lord of Haverford and was one of the last lords who patrolled the land. How many years it has been abandoned, estimates vary.

A lone Druid of the Torvonin Circle, named Monesal, was employed by Margrave Drake, Ruler of Nepekan, to locate the party’s whereabouts. After several weeks, he located the aftermath of a battle in which it was clear that party of Jerrod, along with his retinue of 4 knights, 2 rangers, 1 cleric and 1 wizard, were attacked and many killed. The dead included all but Jerrod and the tracks of his foes led back to Reynolds Keep. He sent word to the Margrave Drake who then forwarded the message to Elissa.

The party, accepting the mission, and returning to Tradönne via the Ancient Stone Portals (that link many Wesphalia cities), are outfitted for their return to the Schöll Valley. After several days of travel, they reached the Tomb of Navaron in the deeps woods of the Hefner Bale. Continuing, they sailed along Lake Belaney and rested in the city that bears its name. The next day, the party moved up river and ventured to within sights of the Reynolds Mountain. In grassy land of rolling hills, they encountered a nest of medusas and their ettin guards. After the battle, they continued their path towards the keep. But as it seems, they were spotted by an Ancient Green Dragon named Ragahak, who pounded the party with gaseous vapors from on high. However, the party was able to subdue Ragahak as he lay dying after vicious attacks from the party, the last being 2 arrows to his neck.

Ragahak, a full 80’ in length (tail to mouth) and 120’ wing span, though dreadfully injured, has now offered himself in service for 10 years, as customary, in return for his life.

Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Session 24: The Search for Jerrod

#3 Post by Rhourk »

The One Called Nihil speaks, "Ragahak it is our intention to enter the dwelling you guarded to rescue Jerrod the Heir of Westphallia. Do you know if he still lives? Who has taken him and who rules this dwelling? What resistance will we meet inside? How is the best method to gain entry, and what traps lay in wait for us".

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Johnny Champion »

Rhourk wrote:The One Called Nihil speaks, "Ragahak it is our intention to enter the dwelling you guarded to rescue Jerrod the Heir of Westphallia. Do you know if he still lives?
In a deep serpentine voice, but in the common tongue, the dragon speaks:

Ragahak: The troublesome human whose party died at my feet, coughing and vomiting from the depths of their souls!!? Yes, I assume it is he, this Jerrod, that you speak. I was told to spare his life, destroy the others, to which i obliged, and my servants carried him back to the keep. He was breathing, as he had not taken in my vile fumes. They may have revived his spirit. I know not.

Who has taken him and who rules this dwelling? What resistance will we meet inside? How is the best method to gain entry, and what traps lay in wait for us".
Ragahak: The master of this passage, he who has awakened, he who's name is lost, he who commands, he the seeker of knowledge, He who is the power of the lighted day, He who speaks in whispers from the dark. That is the answer you seek. The entry is guarded by my servants, but only the answer to the riddle will gain you entry. The lower dungeon i have not entered, but the Tentacled Illithids wonder in and out of this area. This keep is but a gateway, a passage to the underdark. Horrors await but also fortune I suppose.

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Agnati »

Johnny Champion wrote: Ragahak: The master of this passage, he who has awakened, he who's name is lost, he who commands, he the seeker of knowledge, He who is the power of the lighted day, He who speaks in whispers from the dark. That is the answer you seek. The entry is guarded by my servants, but only the answer to the riddle will gain you entry. The lower dungeon i have not entered, but the Tentacled Illithids wonder in and out of this area. This keep is but a gateway, a passage to the underdark. Horrors await but also fortune I suppose.
Rickul: "Mighty Ragahak, how do we enter the keep without the name of this adversary? Is there a place or a way we can learn the name? It is vital that we rescue my brother of the bow..."
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by Johnny Champion »

Agnati wrote:
Johnny Champion wrote: Ragahak: The master of this passage, he who has awakened, he who's name is lost, he who commands, he the seeker of knowledge, He who is the power of the lighted day, He who speaks in whispers from the dark. That is the answer you seek. The entry is guarded by my servants, but only the answer to the riddle will gain you entry. The lower dungeon i have not entered, but the Tentacled Illithids wonder in and out of this area. This keep is but a gateway, a passage to the underdark. Horrors await but also fortune I suppose.
Rickul: "Mighty Ragahak, how do we enter the keep without the name of this adversary? Is there a place or a way we can learn the name? It is vital that we rescue my brother of the bow..."
Ragahak: My servants will fight unless I am present. Let's move towards the keep. I will control their temper and they should leave you alone. He has been known by many names my new friend, but he is not my master. His true name is lost to antiquity my woodland mortal. But you will find him scheming and plotting if you enter the gate. With me at the gate in this land empty of heroes, <LAUGHING NOW>he will not be expecting anyone such as you.

Tungsten
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Tungsten »

Faelwen recommends that Lumiere put on her Wolf Helm to see if she may be able to discern the name and nature of the foe that Ragahak has been describing.

Faelwen asks Ragahak "Who is the Master of Lightning?" She also asks "Where would be the safest place for us to rest before entering the stronghold?"

Tungsten mutters that he hates Mindflayers!!! Tungsten asks Lumiere to tell them all she can discern regarding the Underdark in this area.

Tungsten looks at the party and smiles "Welcome home!"

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by Agnati »

Tungsten wrote:Tungsten looks at the party and smiles "Welcome home!"
Tungsten get's a google +1 for that!

Tungsten
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by Tungsten »

Jerrod better turn out to be the greatest ruler of all time after the dear price Helios Verum has paid to rescue him. Faelwen asks Lumiere to heal Jerrod. She also asks her to use the Wolf Helm to see if the use of Greater Restoration will regain lost INT points to those who lost points during battle.

Faelwen makes sure that no one disturbs the area where Kaleb's dust resides. After a rest she casts Telekinesis to move all of Kaleb's Dust into the nicest Chest (from Ruxadon). This chest will be carefully tied shut with Silk Rope put into a bag which is tied closed and then carefully placed within the Bag of Holding. Afterwards Mooki, Rickul and Faelwen will search ever square inch of the room for secret doors (and traps). Faelwen searches Belcastro from head to toe. She is especially interested in the Essence Wand. She takes all of Piter's clothes and items as well.

Tungsten cuts off Piter's head and hands and puts them in a bag. (He might as well keep going after cutting off his leg.) Tungsten also cuts off all of the eyes from the Beholders (4 complete sets) and bags them.

Kaleb, Nihil and Groot are prayed over by the entire party and placed into the Bag of Holding.

Tungsten, Rickul, Lumiere, Faelwen and Mooki return to the jail cell and tell the sisters that they will be released but that they must first place cloth in their mouths to prevent any chance of biting and then put manacles on themselves. After that we will release them from their prison cell and take them with us to Sidon. Faelwen will cast Teleportation Circle and take everyone to Sidon in hopes of general healing, restoring, resurrecting and what not.

Thoughts???

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Agnati »

There's no question.

Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by Rhourk »

Dropping 4 saving throws in a row, by 1 point and blowing three straight death rolls is a humbling experience to be sure. Great post above,bathe only corection is that there are 3 sets of beholder eyes, "Bubbles" will need to keep his in eternal servitude to his now dimwited master Nihil. It's a good thing that he is building a small army, because half of his abilities just went into the negatives. Also revivify Nihil and groom before we leave. We had 5 rounds to do so.

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Agnati »

Rhourk wrote:Also revivify Nihil and groom before we leave. We had 5 rounds to do so.
Lumiere keeps Revivify on-hand and has more than enough spell slots left. Probably the only benefit to the anti-magic room we fought in.

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Agnati »

Rhourk wrote:Dropping 4 saving throws in a row, by 1 point and blowing three straight death rolls is a humbling experience to be sure.
As encounters become more and more difficult, I think a Hero's feast is a necessity if we're all going to walk out of there alive in the future.

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Johnny Champion »

Tungsten wrote:Jerrod better turn out to be the greatest ruler of all time after the dear price Helios Verum has paid to rescue him. Faelwen asks Lumiere to heal Jerrod. She also asks her to use the Wolf Helm to see if the use of Greater Restoration will regain lost INT points to those who lost points during battle.

DM: No. And I would caution about the use of a Wish Spell to restore those points. They are permanent outside of divine intervention possibly.

Faelwen makes sure that no one disturbs the area where Kaleb's dust resides. After a rest she casts Telekinesis to move all of Kaleb's Dust into the nicest Chest (from Ruxadon). This chest will be carefully tied shut with Silk Rope put into a bag which is tied closed and then carefully placed within the Bag of Holding. Afterwards Mooki, Rickul and Faelwen will search ever square inch of the room for secret doors (and traps). Faelwen searches Belcastro from head to toe. She is especially interested in the Essence Wand. She takes all of Piter's clothes and items as well.

DM: Noted. Piter Belcastro has been cut into pieces. Ragahak states that his spirit and form are not mere mortal in substance. He knows not if Piter will ever return to haunt the lands of mortals. He has 3 fine rings (non-magical), his staff (clearly magical), exquisite head piece, (3) chests, (4) sacks of items, (2) small bags of gems. You find notes in his laboratory located on the southern wall. Each beholder has a carved chamber that are connected to each other. Each has shaft that goes down to the unknown depths. Nothing valuable found in these chambers. On the northern wall is a chamber that has a device (part magical/part mechanical) that acts a large elevator. Various levers, pullies and chains are noticed.

Tungsten cuts off Piter's head and hands and puts them in a bag. (He might as well keep going after cutting off his leg.) Tungsten also cuts off all of the eyes from the Beholders (4 complete sets) and bags them.

DM: Noted. These will be placed in the TREASURE spreadsheet.

Kaleb, Nihil and Groot are prayed over by the entire party and placed into the Bag of Holding.

DM: Noted.

Tungsten, Rickul, Lumiere, Faelwen and Mooki return to the jail cell and tell the sisters that they will be released but that they must first place cloth in their mouths to prevent any chance of biting and then put manacles on themselves. After that we will release them from their prison cell and take them with us to Sidon. Faelwen will cast Teleportation Circle and take everyone to Sidon in hopes of general healing, restoring, resurrecting and what not.

DM: Noted. Dragon? Arromar?

Thoughts???

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Johnny Champion »

Rhourk wrote:Dropping 4 saving throws in a row, by 1 point and blowing three straight death rolls is a humbling experience to be sure. Great post above,bathe only corection is that there are 3 sets of beholder eyes, "Bubbles" will need to keep his in eternal servitude to his now dimwited master Nihil. It's a good thing that he is building a small army, because half of his abilities just went into the negatives. Also revivify Nihil and groom before we leave. We had 5 rounds to do so.
DM: This is true. You have a dragon who doesn't like to provide straight answers who will be nursing his wounds for several weeks, werebear, and now Bubbles, a super genius of the underworld, who will need a direction of how to behave.

DM: Regarding Nihil and Groot: They died on the battle field but still within 8 rounds. Revivify will work. The spell requires the use of a 5000gp gem for each use. Does Lumiere have available spell slots? I need proof just like I required of Mooki and the Featherfall. Spell slots must be kept up during battle.

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Johnny Champion »

Agnati wrote:
Rhourk wrote:Also revivify Nihil and groom before we leave. We had 5 rounds to do so.
Lumiere keeps Revivify on-hand and has more than enough spell slots left. Probably the only benefit to the anti-magic room we fought in.
DM: Good Point. That is all the proof I need.

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by Johnny Champion »

Telum Tenebrox (roughly translated as Channel of the Divide)

Restrictions: Wizard 15+ Level

Use: While Held with Two Hands: Immunity to Cold, Fire, Necrotic Damage

Special: Dispel Magic Has no effect on Powers

DC: 15 + Wizard Proficiency

1. Death Cloud: (1/day, Action, With 2 hands and 2 swirls, a stream of black vapor and dust swirls in a 1' sphere for 1 rd at the tip of staff. Rd 2: it can be directed 150' and then will expand to full area. Wizard can direct the center point. Duration: 3rds with full effect (rds 2-4). (40' rad, Necrotic, ST(Con): 1/2, <50HP instantly dead, 24d6)

* Undead, Devils, Demons, Constructs, Elementals, Dieties Immune
* Extends to Ethereal Plane

2. Explosive Relocation: (1/day, Reaction, ST(Con): 1/2, with 2 hands and tap to floor, a large 20' rad explosion of radiance and fire from wizard, dealing 10d6 radiant+10d6 fire, and teleports up to 100' away, ST(dx): 1/2)

* Caster not effected
* All in AoE effected (no sculpting)

3. Force Sphere: (3/day, Reaction, with 2 hands raised staff on high, a force field emanates from wizard pushing everyone out to edge, 10' radius, deals 3d6 in AoE, those attacking/touching wall receive 3d6 radiant, No magic in or out while in energized, dissipated by other black magic effects and std disintegrate spell, Duration: 10rds)

While in Force Sphere Active: Reverberate: (10/day, Action, With 2 hands move staff from vertical to horizontal, pulsate energy waves 40' rad, 3d6 radiant to all in AoE)

4. Acutus Bolt: (1/day, Action, with 2 hands point tip towards target and special command word a bolt of well spring energy strikes the target, Range 120', ST(I))

Effects: d20
roll (01-10): 10d6 Force + (1-10)d6 psychic damage
roll (11-16): (1-6) Intelligence Point Loss, ST(I): 1/2, Wizards lose all spell slots immediately and can't recover for 1d8 days. Int loss permanent
roll (17-20): Explosive Death (17-18: 500HP damage, death, body still together mostly, ST(Co), 17: +4 ST, 18: +0 ST, 19-20: 500 HP Death, NO ST, Total destruction body obliterated, 19: ST on obliteration, 20: No ST)

Side Effects: Unknown

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Johnny Champion »

Check email on Torrean Relics:

Malum Umbra and Telum Tenebrox

Tungsten
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by Tungsten »

Faelwen can think of no better place to attempt to bring Kaleb back than Sidon. Thoughts?

Might as well take the sisters with us too. We will probably need to ask Lumiere or Sidon Clerics to heal them from their impending lycanthropy before it kicks in. Is that considered a disease or a curse? Such matters are not in Faelwen's wheelhouse (mostly she likes blowing things up).

After we Teleport Circle to Sidon, Faelwen can do a Sending message to Ragahak for Nihil. She can inform him that we have gone South and that we will contact him every week to check up on his health.

Faelwen can get everyone to Sidon (even Bubbles).

Faelwen will cast Identify on the Essence Wand.

And lastly what powers are considered Major Powers for the Telum Tenebrox?

Thoughts, comments or alternative plans?

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by Johnny Champion »

Tungsten wrote:Faelwen can think of no better place to attempt to bring Kaleb back than Sidon. Thoughts?

Might as well take the sisters with us too. We will probably need to ask Lumiere or Sidon Clerics to heal them from their impending lycanthropy before it kicks in. Is that considered a disease or a curse? Such matters are not in Faelwen's wheelhouse (mostly she likes blowing things up).

After we Teleport Circle to Sidon, Faelwen can do a Sending message to Ragahak for Nihil. She can inform him that we have gone South and that we will contact him every week to check up on his health.

Faelwen can get everyone to Sidon (even Bubbles).

Faelwen will cast Identify on the Essence Wand.

And lastly what powers are considered Major Powers for the Telum Tenebrox?

Thoughts, comments or alternative plans?
DM: The Essence Wand = Telum Tenebrox (Actually a cool staff and not a wand). It is assumed an identify has been cast and that is why you have knowledge of the potential side effects of the Black Obsidian Magic that it wields (as well as Malum Umbra

Return to “Black Obsidian: D&D Next”