March 2-3: The Old 19th and Events Thereafter

Mister-Kent
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Mournday, March 2: The Old Nineteenth

#341 Post by Mister-Kent »

I wouldn't assume Ballar Uh shares much of anything, but I'll ultimately leave that to Fulci.
Last edited by Mister-Kent on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#342 Post by Fulci »

Mister-Kent's got it right. Ballar Uh never really shares anything personal. Zaent might have heard rumors about how Ballar Uh became such a recluse: people whisper something about a broken heart and a dead lover, but without names or anything. Zaent might also know that at some point (before becoming a Delver) Ballar Uh worked as a personal bodyguard to a powerful lady. But these are just rumors, Delver chit-chat.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: March 2-3: The Old 19th and Events Thereafter

#343 Post by Inferno »

Ok. Thanks.

I figured if Ballar had said her name, it would probably be him talking aloud to himself. :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#344 Post by Fulci »

Hmm... that actually makes sense... I like that idea! So let's make it that way!

Zaent might have overheard Ballar Uh sitting alone in the guildroom, muttering the name "Alea" to himself.
G A M E S :

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by Grognardsw »

Mister-Kent wrote:Biblo Phyle
Frost hesitates, then gives you the book, a wary look on her face."Yes--please do see that he gets it. But, you may wish to read it as well," she says quietly. "Also, I do have maps to sell, if you're interested. The Immortal Zoo, perhaps? Or something a little more intimate. Well, you just think about that. Good day, sir." She then withdraws to the far corner of the room, still monitoring you none too secretly, a slight blush in her cheek. Perhaps she has passed her fleeting affections onto you

The loosely-wrapped book is an Atrocitus Compendium, one of only three copies made that you know of. It is a compilation of historical accounts of one-thousand-years-worth of gruesome crimes from all parts of the known world.

This volume has illustrations.
Biblo chats with Tobias, drinks, and peruses the illustrations in the Atrocitus Compendium while waiting for his delving comrades.

"A bit grisly I must say," Biblo comments, closing the book. "Come to think of it, I haven't seen Mathias in some time. I suppose I'll keep the tome until he resurfaces."
I'll await Gul and the others for the next mission.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#346 Post by Mister-Kent »

Zaent - at the 13th Ward, Night Clan HQ
Godric looks at you and smiles. "We live on in the lives we create," he whispers tiredly.

When you go out into the hall, Sable rises from her chair. "You're getting him all worked up, as only you can do," she says, and brushes past you into the room. Godric has fallen into a fitful sleep, shivering but seemingly without pain. "Well, tell me, brother, do you feel vindicated? To abandon the clan and return after all this time--only to find Father still wrapped around your finger?"

She flips her hair back over her shoulder, and you can clearly see the lines of sleeplessness across her face. "Please…come back another night, Zaent. Nothing can come from arguing about this now…"

Gul Marach - Eminent Cathedral to Delvers Guild Hall
At the Cathedral, Gachard stands with a freshly-shaved head, and boldly pounds his palm on his wiry chest. "I am ready," he says, a fiery look in his eyes. "I will go wherever our Iron God needs me." His right arm is down at his side, and you catch the faintest shaking in his hand, but his gaze never wavers.

Sister Krystyn pulls her red-gold hair back into a ponytail and looks at you searchingly."All I know is…Matron Elliya has said this mission is of great importance. I admit, I was suspicious of you and your friends at first. But the Matron speaks only truth, and she has never said an ill word about you. I will see the mission through, no matter where it takes me. If I must remain below, I will stay, and welcome the Urchin Queen into a new Sisterhood beneath the earth."

Sister Krystyn, a Paladin of Vorn, and Acolyte Gachard, a fledgling Monk, have joined the party!

You travel with your new helpers to the Guild Hall, reuniting with your party--well, save the mysterious Zaent, who is still absent. Ballar Uh is enraptured in a map, and Biblo's browsing a ghastly tome. However, they seem to have made a new acquaintance--an unfamiliar Delver in a tricorn hat.
Last edited by Mister-Kent on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#347 Post by LtTibbles »

Tobias Gifford

Tobias takes note of the broad shouldered stitched up man and his followers as they enter the hall he recognized the man, seen him going about his business in the hall he was a hard man to miss. He turned his attention back to Biblo and motioned head toward them. "Those three there, are they the ones we've been waiting for?"
Last edited by LtTibbles on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by Inferno »

Zaent Darkhand, elven criminal:

At the deathbed of Godric Greathouse:
Mister-Kent wrote:Sable "Well, tell me, brother, do you feel vindicated? To abandon the clan and return after all this time--only to find Father still wrapped around your finger?"
The prodigal son almost felt sorry for the jilted daughter. Almost.
Zaent risked a little truth on her. "It's just business, Sable. He loves you above no other."

As he spoke those warm words, his mind coldly calculated all the angles:
  • If Sable killed her father tonight, only she and Zaent would know of Godric's dying wish. And once she had Zaent killed, only she would know. She would have no choice but to kill Zaent.
    If Godric lived and Zaent accepted his offer, Zaent would need Sable's friendship to avoid a civil war during a gang war with the Vapours.
    If Godric lived and Zaent rejected his offer, Zaent would need Sable's friendship to avoid eventually coming under her thumb, or her knife. Godric's fondness for Zaent gave him freedom to operate in the city. He'd need Sable's good will for that arrangement to continue.
    And then there was the new situation with that damned Gem. And with Alea. And with Ballar.
Mister-Kent wrote: Sable "Please…come back another night, Zaent. Nothing can come from arguing about this now…"
"All right. And I'm not here to argue," Zaent replied with surprising softness.
"Sable, I haven't accepted your father's offer yet. I don't know that I will. I think I see a way where you'll be happy, and so will Godric... where you'll both get what you want, and the Clan will survive. Let me sleep on it and I'll discuss it with the both of you tomorrow."
Hopefully that would keep Sable from killing her father tonight ...and Zaent.

Zaent tenderly touched Godric's fevered forehead as one might a sleeping child's. Then he said to Sable, "Get some rest, beautiful," and left.

Zaent went to the Guild Hall. He wanted to be far from Sable's territory tonight, surrounded by armed men. Including Ballar Uh.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by Pulpatoon »

Zacharias Gull continues to monitor Bastet's progress through the city.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by Grognardsw »

LtTibbles wrote:Tobias Gifford

Tobias takes note of the broad shouldered stitched up man and his followers as they enter the hall he recognized the man, seen him going about his business in the hall he was a hard man to miss. He turned his attention back to Biblo and motioned head toward them. "Those three there, are they the ones we've been waiting for?"
"Ah yes, they are among them," answers Biblo.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#351 Post by Mister-Kent »

Zaent, returning from the 13th Ward
The entire way back to the Delvers Guild Hall, you feel contemptuous eyes upon the back of your neck. You see no one, but you catch a faint whiff of smoke. Is that…sulfur?

Zachariah Tar, over the 9th Ward
You stalk Bastet the Immense from the sky, her cheerful hymn echoing out over the streets as late-day approaches. It fades as she reaches a squat fort in the 9th Ward, overshadowed by the neighborhood's many surrounding towers. As the portcullis raises, Bastet leads the beggars in her cart to a rousing chant, and prepares them for the feast awaiting within the fortified stronghold. The massive gate slides closed after them with a piercing scraping noise, followed by a thunderous clang.

Biblo, the Delvers Guild Hall
Poe the inky raven rustles from your shoulder, first cawing when the religious trio enters, and then flapping his wings as Zaent arrives at the hall.

The Assembled Party
Sister Krystyn is a familiar face from the Cathedral, though most of you might be surprised to see her joining you. Acolyte Gachard introduces himself, eagerly bowing to each of you.

Okay, group--it's late on Toilsday the 3rd. Assuming Zachariah is en route on Toilsday eve, when would you like to depart for the Under City? Tonight, Woundsday morning, or other? You may want to make sure you have some supplies/rations on-hand, in case you're gone longer than expected (I'm sure it will take at least a day). Your henchmen have their own basic supplies and weapons.
Playing

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by Pulpatoon »

ZT will want to perch and watch what's going on with Bastet for awhile. Assuming it doesn't turn into, oh say, a bllod-soaked demon summoning, he'll return to the Delvers at nightfall. If there isn't any particular sense of urgency, he'll suggest getting rested overnight.

For supplies, he will grab as much food as he can at the breakfast table and stuff into whatever sort of a sack he finds laying around, and if anyone has a pair or waterproof boots, he'll try to beg them off of them. And if he finds any grease or oil while poking around the Hall's kitchens, he'll rub himself down from head to toe. You don't want to get cracked and dry skin down in a sewer.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by Inferno »

Zaent was long accustomed to contemptuous eyes on the back of his neck.

At the hall, he found Ballar Uh. "Ah, my mighty friend," he purred as he handed him another drink. "Please tell me all about this Alea of which I've often heard you speak. She sounds simply enchanting."

Later, Zaent was happy to hear about another delve to momentarily remove him from the gang war. "What's this delve about, again?"
He'll want to leave tomorrow afternoon. He needed to see Godric and Sable first.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#354 Post by LtTibbles »

Tobias is set for food and other supplies, but would suggest leaving tomorrow while the sun is still up.
Last edited by LtTibbles on Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#355 Post by Mister-Kent »

Zachariah Tar, at the Holy Fortress of Bastet the Immense
Looking into the courtyard of Bastet's sturdy stone fortress, you see the cart-full of beggars unload. They are greeted by men and women bearing the scars and weathered faces that can only be acquired through outdoor living--signs you know well, as a fellow vagrant.

However, these folk wear clean white robes in stark contrast to the dirt-caked clothes of the cart passengers. The robed ones, who seem content and welcoming, lead the newcomers inside a large set of red doors, with Bastet the last to follow, closing the doors behind her.

As you fly back to the Delvers Guild, the rain you had anticipated the previous day finally arrives with a subtle purring of distant thunder.

At the hall, Poe the raven caws as you join the others. You are able to some table scraps equaling approximately three perishable rations, but as you're hunched over the table a shadow looms behind you. Guildmaster Lord Grandulo, looking down as you clear the table. He raises an eyebrow inquisitively.

"I don’t believe we've had the pleasure," Grandulo greets, offering a withered hand to shake. "A new Delver, I would assume?"

(Pulpatoon, please roll d20 for Charisma check. We'll see how charming the mad street prophet really is… :) )

Tobias
Maria, the Delver's drudge-maid, shuffles by on her way to the laundry. "Oh, Mister Gifford! A letter for you," she says as she slides you a sealed fold of paper. "A man in a black cloak did deliver it this morning," she says, her tone betraying a sense of doubt."Er, I didn't see him myself, but so the other maids say."

The seal is of an eagle's head imprinted in emerald wax. The note itself:

"Master Gifford,

The Royal Investigations committee regrets the lateness of this communique, but we had some trouble finding you in this great city of ours. In regards to the tragic murder of your father and destruction of your homestead fifteen years past, we have finally detained a suspect whom we believe to be the guilty party. He is being held in the dungeon below the Palace Massive and is due a trial in two weeks' time.

Based on the description you provided this office years ago, I have absolutely no doubt that this is the perpetrator. Your testimony upon the stand will be much appreciated.

Yours,
Baroness Titania Skate
Royal Investigator"
Playing

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by Pulpatoon »

"Delve ye ask? I seek the dark places and low paths, as water works through stone to wash out the roots of the mountain. Delving men do delve, and drowning men drown, and how do I ken which I might be?" Snatching up a heel of bread and biting into it, Zacharias Tar adds, "But pleased I be to do neither onna empty stomach. It's a fine spread o'grub."
CHA 16
[1d20] = 8

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#357 Post by LtTibbles »

Tobias takes the letter from the maid "Thank you Maria, here for your trouble." He hands over 2 silver to the drudge maid then begins reading the letter, as he begins to process what he's just received he feel like his heart has crept up into his throat, his right eye twitches involuntarily for just a moment before he takes a deep breath to calm himself and tucks the letter into his pocket. By this time the other delver's of Biblo's team seemed to have finally gathered, he tries his best to put on his welcoming demeanor but he can feel it faltering almost as soon as he speaks. "Ahem, h-hello my name is Tobias Gifford, your...eh partner Biblo invited me to come assist you on your next ah delve, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Subtracted 2 silver from Tobias' inventory.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Marullus »

Gul-Marach greets his companions and introduces the two new members from the Cathedral. As the thast arrive, he calls them around the table, blessing the spread before them with a prayer to Vorn.* "We are commissioned with a hefty sum to carry the Matrons words to the Orphan Queen, and take these servants of Vorn with us to provide service there." He continues on in a low, rumbling tone, sharing the limited information he knows about the Court, entering through the Harbor of Grudges, etc. He looks for the others to share as well.

*Again, Purify Food and Drink.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#359 Post by Fulci »

Ballar Uh, fighter/assassin
Inferno wrote:At the hall, he found Ballar Uh. "Ah, my mighty friend," he purred as he handed him another drink. "Please tell me all about this Alea of which I've often heard you speak. She sounds simply enchanting."
Ballar Uh springs from his chair, and now he's standing at full height, looming over Zaent. With his nostrils widened, the patched-up Delver now resembles a bull ready to step into the arena.
"What is it to you, elf?" he grunts.
G A M E S :

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by Inferno »

Fulci wrote:Ballar Uh, fighter/assassin
Ballar Uh springs from his chair, and now he's standing at full height, looming over Zaent. With his nostrils widened, the patched-up Delver now resembles a bull ready to step into the arena.
"What is it to you, elf?" he grunts.
Zaent didn't flinch and kept on smiling as if nothing had happened. He carelessly replied, "Nothing at all. I merely met a man tonight who knew an Alea. I wondered if yours and his were one and the same. And I thought you might be interested. My mistake."
Zaent began to walk away, still smiling.
DM:

Player: