Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Language at the Threshold

#1 Post by Grognardsw »

The Language at the Threshold
~ In Which The Investigators Join Together to Unravel the Mystery ~
Robert Angell is about to answer Baines when there is a knock at the door. Robert rolls his eyes.

"Hold on," he says, and answers it.

Reginald Wilkins, Isaiah Bartlett and Eddie Sharpe are at the door. Robert gives a look of recognition; Eddie interviewed Robert early this morning.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The Language at the Threshold

#2 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Baines looks at the three with alarm but tries his best to smile, "You are very popular Mr.Angell, maybe I should come in at another time? As Ezy....My partner probably told you, this matter is a little......sensitive"
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Anders Molin
Scout
Scout

#3 Post by Anders Molin »

"Mr Angell," Eddie starts, brandishing his camera case, "I returned for those photographs we spoke about this morning." Motioning towards Wilkins and the old one, he adds, "I met these gentlemen on my way here. If it's okay with you, I'll snap some pictures for my article - I won't get in your way!"
If no one protests, Eddie starts taking pictures, both wide shots for atmosphere and closeups of books, paintings etc.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Hello Robert, says Reginald. I trust you had a good trip.

To Baines, he says, Well met. Reginald Wilkins. These are my ... associates, Isaiah Bartlett and Eddie Sharpe. Reginald pauses for introductions.

To Robert, he says,As you probably know, Robert, Timothy had some of my shop's property here at the apartment. I need to check through his stuff.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Fulci »

Isaiah is slightly intimidated by the crowd. He was looking forward to a half-empty, cold flat. He sticks close to Reginald, then leans to his ears and asks: "Who are all these people? What are they doing here? We have to be more careful..."

Despite the circumstances, he also tries looking for some clues, any ritual or occult item he might recognize.

If any rolls are needed, here's a [1d100] = 85
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Grognardsw »

"Why are you all so interested in Timothy?" interjects Robert Angell, a bit frazzled at all the visitors. "Agent Baines, he was clearly bonkers!"  

At mention of Baines, Isaiah realizes this was the Bureau of Investigation agent that the police arranged for him to talk to. (Baines is aware of this and the name of Isaiah.

The apartment is a three-bedroom affair, a bedroom for Carver and one for his roommate Robert Angell, and a third devoted to books and art. Easels compete with books for space. The art must be Angell's. There is a living room connecting the bedrooms, a kitchen and one bathroom. The place is run-down, thoug Reginald notices it has bren cleaned up some and dusted since his last visit.

Reginald and the others give the apartment a good going over. The place epitomizes the “starving artist” flat. The furniture is second-hand, the beds unkempt, the kitchen filled with unwashed dishes and scattering cockroaches. It seems Carver and Robert spent what little money they have on their passions: books, easels and art supplies, and a battered Victor Victrola phonograph player and collection of records. The music is mostly classical, but there are a few recordings from jazz bands Hepcats of Ulthar and the Beats of Leng. Baines notes the Hepcats record, having seen the jazz quartet in person.

There are many books. Among the volumes are history, macabre and fantastical fiction from the likes of Poe, Machen,Dunsany, and pulp magazines such as Weird Tales and Argosy. 
Reginald is surprised to find a stray torn-out page from the Unausprauchlichen Kulten. He also finds another book from the shop, a catalogue from a book sale from more than 40 years ago..
"I think you guys took Tim's notebooks already," says Robert to Baines. "That had his gibberish writing."

Isaiah notes this, and considers asking Baines to see these. He wonders if such cult writing is the same as in Reginald's books. He has seen these terrible scripts in his dark past. 

Robert's art work is all about in his messy studio.
The men know he is a student at the Rhode Island School of Design. The artwork seems related to classes – there there are still-lifes, landscapes, abstracts.

Eddie snaps away with his camera. As the men search the apartment and talk, they realize they are all investigating the same terrible murders, the madness behind it, and the dark mysteries of why. Some may privately consider sharing information.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Fulci »

It's all coming together, Isaiah thinks when noticing agent Baines' presence. He steps up to him.

"Agent Banes? I'm Isaiah Bartlett. I was referred to you and tried to contact you, but you weren't available," he says, then stops: he doesn't really know what to say to this government man. With all these people around, the affair is becoming pure chaos... Everybody seems to hold some piece of information or another, everybody snooping around, destroying evidence, after all, taking photos with modern cameras - since when somebody can just go around and not have to sit there with the machinery and all that jazz for thirty minutes for a single photo?!

"Can I take a look at Timothy Carver's notebooks," he squeezes out finally, not sure whether it would help or not. He is trying hard to concentrate on any possible leads or clues this mess of a flat.

Any of the "investigators" present can be working for the cult... But still, somebody has to pull them all together.

Isaiah abruptly turns away from Baines and shouts, at the top of his lungs, himself surprised at the sheer volume he is able to produce:
"STOP! CAN EVERYBODY JUST STOP?"

He stands there now, in the middle of the room, panting, trying to catch his breath.

"People. We need to work together," he says finally. "But first, for God's sake, who are you?"
G A M E S :

Anders Molin
Scout
Scout

#8 Post by Anders Molin »

Cults, mysteries, mutilations - and those foreboding words of the old man: "Dark deeds lead to madness, not the other way around". Mutterings of a half-crazy septuagenarian, or profound insights from someone wiser than he seemed?

A sudden thought struck Eddie: What if the Arkham murders were only the endpoint, and the real scoop was about the occult goings-on that seemed to have branches in at least a couple of New England towns? He needed to dig deeper... Right now the best way to do just that seemed to be by cooperating with the others. After all, he was the only newsman in the room, and no one here looked likely to steal his story.

Eddie put the camera away and spoke, "My name is Eddie Sharpe, reporter with the Arkham Gazette. I'm working on a story concerning some recent murders in Marblehead outside Arkham. I've been following up on leads on that case, and as I heard of similar cases down here I decided to chase down these as well. I'm more than willing to share the information I have, as long as I have a story I can post to my editor." After a second's pause, he added quietly, "If it's printable. "

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Fulci »

Isaiah Bartlett, crazy wise man

"Isaiah Bartlett is my name," says the old man. "Similar cases, yes. This ungodly conspiracy spreads not only in space, but in time as well! Many years ago I faced a fiendish cult in Ipswich... and failed. They took my son."

Isaiah Bartlett looks at his companions and is ready for disbelief. They will probably write his knowledge off as the incoherent ramblings of an old fool. A bitter smile, almost a grin appears on his face. He has nothing to lose and has to go on.

"These devil-worshipers, because that's what they are, have infiltrated our towns. You can believe what you like. That they are criminals, madmen, anything... But I know that they made a pact with the Devil itself. They have powers. But I think we can defeat them. Despite their powers, they are but human. Unless..."

He gulps.

"Unless they summon their masters and unleash Hell on us... then we have no hope."

Isaiah looks at Eddie, with the same bitter grin: "Go, son, print that in your papers."
G A M E S :

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald Wilkins, bookdealer
Reginald looks around the room. Most of you know me, or at least have met me, he says. I'm Reginald Wilkins. I own a rare book shop. Timothy Carver was an employee at my book shop, and my friend. Timothy started behaving ... erratically. At first, he mentioned family troubles. When the erratic behavior continued, I feared he had taken to opium, or some other narcotic. Reginald pauses, and looks around the room. I'm still not entirely convinced that some sort of drug isn't at least partially responsible for Timothy's ... actions.

Reginald clears his throat. Anyway, I found out recently that Timothy had been stealing some of my more ... esoteric books. He appears to have destroyed one of them. I confronted him about it, just before the police arrested him. Mr. Bartlett here, says Reginald, indicating Isaiah, seems to think that the books themselves have something to do with the crimes.

Since it appears that Timothy's crimes are connected to similar ones elsewhere, then there are others out there pulling the strings. If so, then I worry that they may think we know too much, and come after us.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Gwen Baines, BOI

Baines half hears the crowd in the room speaking while he is caught in his own thoughts, stuck between two realms he ponders everything that ever existed. He hears people talking to him and asking important questions but he somehow doesn't really care. He wakes up from his trance, turns around and rubs his face to wake up and let out some frustrations at this chaotic situation. He turns around, "I am agent Gwen Baines, and this.... this has gotten way out of hand", Baines walks to Eddie's camera that was left aside, takes the film out and puts it in his pocket. He looks at Eddie and tries to hide his hate for reporters, "Do you understand that what you are doing is compromising everything the BOI is working so hard to accomplish? All you care about is the story! the story! Think of the people for once! And what is this talk about cults, stop making up lies to get in the good side of your editor? Also, I am not the investigator for the dead bodies, I do work with him since our goals are somewhat shared but I am not going to disclose his name like certain people who were entrusted with secret information", he looks at Isaiah with a stink eye and sighs, "I shouldn't be revealing this but I am investigating a new drug that has been out on the streets as of late and I have been handed Timothy as a user of that substance, that is why I am here right now, to bust a drug ring, nothing more, nothing less. And don't you dare write any of this in an article! I have your name. And as for the murders I heard it was an investigator's brother who saw pictures of the crime scene and went mad, stop talking nonsense". Though Baines was lying through his teeth, sticking half truths in the mix might help a little.

He turns to Reginald, "Sorry Mr.Wilkins, I meant to visit you sooner for some questions but I have been busy, I might come by tomorrow. Don't worry, you are safe, there is no one coming after you because there isn't a conspiracy going on, Timothy was a troubled soul and he got too addicted to a bad drug, that's all. His infatuation with old books may be just a side effect of him being a writer and hallucinating. No need to fear", he tries to give him a reassuring smile.

He faces Isaiah with horror at his words, he felt for some reason that he had to stop him from spurting out too much to the others, "Oh yes, I was informed that you wanted to speak to me, you must have friends in high places", he smiled trying to hide his discontent with connections, "I am very sorry for your lost Mr.Bartlett, but whatever happened to your son isn't connected to this......you need to let go, you are seeing your son's death at every occasion and that is clouding your judgment. But I guess if seeing Timothy's notes will put your mind at ease then I can't do anything but comply with your request, come with me", he begins to leave the apartment, "Sorry, Mr.Angell, I have to come at a different time", then he whispers, "Keep an eye on the reporter".
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Anders Molin
Scout
Scout

#12 Post by Anders Molin »

Eddie Sharpe, reporter
Eddie watched in surprise as the agent removed the roll of film from the camera. Did he really think that changed anything? He clenched his fists but refrained from commenting, instead picking up the empty camera in silence.

Eddie's intention to dig deeper into the mysteries of the mutilations would not be helped by working with this man, he noted. From what the agent had said, Eddie realised he wanted to close the curtains rather than let more light in. I wonder what it is the Bureau is really trying to accomplish, Eddie thought. He glanced around at the others to scope their reactions to the agent's outburst.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Grognardsw »

thesniperknight1 wrote:Gwen Baines, BOI... I am investigating a new drug that has been out on the streets as of late and I have been handed Timothy as a user of that substance, that is why I am here right now, to bust a drug ring, nothing more, nothing less."
"Your partner Mr. Smith didn't mention that this morning," says Robert Angell skeptically. Eddie registers the name of Baines' partner.

Isaiah Bartlett wonders at the inconsistency, for he was told the BOI was involved due to the similar murders in multiple states, not any drug ring.

Robert turns to Reginald. "I was thinking over the books. Tim mentioned he was procuring books for his own "client." I wondered where he was getting the books from. He never seemed to be getting extra money from them. He was always late with his part of the rent."

Reginald eyes the torn page from Kulten and the Church of Starry Wisdom catalogue. Who were these intended for?

The BOI agent turns to go, motioning Isaiah to follow so he can show him Timothy's notebook.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Fulci »

Isaiah Bartlett, crazy wise man

Isaiah Bartlett might be old, shaky and borderline insane, but he is certainly no fool and he can tell the government man is not playing straight. Nevertheless, he follows agent Baines out of the room. On the way out he overhears Robert informing Reginald about Timothy's book dealings. 'Ha, I told you so,' Isaiah thinks to himself.
G A M E S :

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Grognardsw »

When Isaiah and Baines leave the apartment, their action will return to "The Descent: The Statements of Gwen Baines" thread.

If Reginald and others go with Isaiah, we'll keep it in the group thread.

I think this will be less confusing. I'm not sure. What do you think?

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald Wilkins, bookdealer
Reginald responds to Baines and others:
thesniperknight1 wrote:He turns to Reginald, "Sorry Mr.Wilkins, I meant to visit you sooner for some questions but I have been busy, I might come by tomorrow. Don't worry, you are safe, there is no one coming after you because there isn't a conspiracy going on, Timothy was a troubled soul and he got too addicted to a bad drug, that's all. His infatuation with old books may be just a side effect of him being a writer and hallucinating. No need to fear", he tries to give him a reassuring smile.
A drug, I knew it. Reginald smiles for a brief second, before a disturbing thought ocurrs to him. But Agent Baines, surely these crimes must be connected. If some new drug is involved, then it is having the same effects here, with Timothy, and elsewhere, because we are seeing the same effects. Since they are all being discovered around the same time, isn't it safe to assume that the same person or group is distributing the drug? Doesn't that imply a conspiracy?
Grognardsw wrote:"Your partner Mr. Smith didn't mention that this morning," says Robert Angell skeptically. Eddie registers the name of Baines' partner.
Reginald also takes note of Angell's comment. Clearly this BOI g-man is hiding something. Reginald doesn't trust him. What is he hiding? Is he part of the conspiracy? If so, Reginald is in even greater danger than he thought. If the conspiracy has active BOI agents among its members, who can say how deep it is?
Grognardsw wrote:Robert turns to Reginald. "I was thinking over the books. Tim mentioned he was procuring books for his own "client." I wondered where he was getting the books from. He never seemed to be getting extra money from them. He was always late with his part of the rent."

Reginald eyes the torn page from Kulten and the Church of Starry Wisdom catalogue. Who were these intended for?
He didn't mention the name of his client, did he? Reginald asks. He takes the pages from Kulten and the Church of Starry Wisdom. Perhaps he can rebind the Kulten book back at the shop.
Fulci wrote:Isaiah Bartlett might be old, shaky and borderline insane, but he is certainly no fool and he can tell the government man is not playing straight. Nevertheless, he follows agent Baines out of the room. On the way out he overhears Robert informing Reginald about Timothy's book dealings. 'Ha, I told you so,' Isaiah thinks to himself.
Wait for me, says Reginald. He intends to check out Timothy's notes with Isaiah and Baines.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Grognardsw wrote:
When Isaiah and Baines leave the apartment, their action will return to "The Descent: The Statements of Gwen Baines" thread.

I agree, that seems best. As noted above, Reginald intends to stay with Baines and Bartlett.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Fulci »

SocraticLawyer wrote:
Grognardsw wrote:

I agree, that seems best. As noted above, Reginald intends to stay with Baines and Bartlett.
I totally missed this, sorry... What shall we do?
G A M E S :

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Grognardsw »

It appears Reginald is going with you, which makes three of you. I actually think it will be easier now to stay in one thread, instead of jumping back and forth, so let's stay in "The Language..." thread. Sorry for the confusion. I'll move Baines and Isaiah's posts from "The Descent..." into "The Language..." and we can continue there.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Grognardsw »

thesniperknight1 wrote:Gwen Baines, BOI

Baines gets in his car and waits for Isaiah to get in, he sighed and bowed his head, "I am very sorry for lying in there, but you left me no choice, you disclosed private information about me and the case to two people, INCLUDING a reporter. This is a very sensitive case and you are jeopardising the whole thing, I do realise that your are being backed up by important people but please keep information about this case secret from everyone else", he starts the car and heads to 93 court street to pick up his things.

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”