IC1: Two Miles West of Dead Tree...

dok-el
Guide
Guide

IC1: Two Miles West of Dead Tree...

#1 Post by dok-el »

Introduction

High atop a windswept desolate moorland lies the crumbling ruin now known only as the Castle of the Mad Archmage. Centuries ago, a series of vast treasure hoards were recovered from the twisting mazes that lie beneath the castle’s remains. Legends were made at that time, and the names of those early explorers will live on through the ages.

Eventually, though, the dungeons lost their lustre as prizes dwindled and became harder to acquire. As the years passed only the very desperate or jaded sought entrance into the passageways below.

Recently, however, rumours have surfaced of a renewal of activity underground. Monstrous denizens have returned in great numbers, deadly traps have been reset, or replaced with even deadlier ones. And there are new treasures to be won.

Something appears to be afoot, and, to the common folk of the region, it might seem cause for consternation. But to those few brave souls willing to take up the challenge it is an opportunity to achieve great renown and attain immeasurable riches. The castle dungeons are once more ripe for the taking, and new legends wait to be born!

dok-el
Guide
Guide

Re: IC1: Two Miles West of Dead Tree...

#2 Post by dok-el »

Our plucky heroes have heeded the call to adventure, leaving behind whatever lives they knew before. They are now bound together in their mutual desire to discover what secrets lie beneath the ancient ruins of the Archmage’s castle. And so they stand now upon the threshold...

Before you are the ruins of a once impressive stone castle. Roughly square, the outer walls are approximately 700 feet across at their widest point. These walls rise to a height of around 20 feet, although in some places, they have collapsed down to almost half that.

An empty moat surrounds the entire structure. Now little more than a dried-up overgrown ditch it still represents something of an inconvenience to those who would seek to gain entry. Fortunately, some earlier explorers were thoughtful enough to arrange for the construction of a wooden bridge, leading directly to the gatehouse at the castle’s south-west corner.

It is upon this bridge, facing the castle gatehouse, that the party now gathers.

Our heroes are...

Roger the Unfortunate (Human male fighter)
Angol Stonehammer (Dwarf male fighter/thief)
Marcos Barro (Human male thief)
Katarina, maiden of Valadon (human female cleric)
Zanzibar Kookamunga (Human male magic-user)
Reginald Mayfly (Human fighter)
Blenda Värend (Human female fighter)
Himmel Soothtel (Human male magic-user)

Rumours, rumours...

The word on the street is that the surface ruins have long since been picked clean of anything of value. Thus they are of little interest beyond being a means to gain access to the tunnels below. Apparently, there are multiple points of entry into the underworks. Precise details regarding their location has, however, proven to be elusive. Oh, and watch out for the bandits.
Attachments
drawbridge1.jpg
drawbridge1.jpg (75.64 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
Last edited by dok-el on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zhym »

Reginald Mayfly ("Reg" to his friends) leans on his spear and considers the drawbridge.

"Whad'ya think? Traps on the bridge? What else would ya expect from someone called the Mad Archmage?"

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Antman9 »

[Blenda Värend – Human Fighter] (HP: 6/6) (AC: 14)

Blenda shifts in her Chainmail and pokes the bridge with her Longsword, “Looks sturdy enough to me.” She quickly takes survey of everyone standing in front of the bridge. “What? Are we gonna do this thing or not? I’m tired of killing rats for measly coppers. Let’s do this. Where’s our Burglar?” She pokes the bridge again, a little harder this time. Under her breath: “Looks fine to me.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Antman9 »

[Himmel Soothtel – Human Magic-User] (HP: 3/3) (AC: 10)

Himmel sidles up to Zanzibar, “What do you think Zanzibar, take the bridge or sneak around via the mote and find a less obvious approach? Rumor has it this upper section is void of any loot. Not to mention it’s the most obvious entry. I’d rather take a side door myself. Less chance of an ambush.” He smiles and peers over the edge of the bridge into the mote, trying to determine how deep it is and if it's dry enough for foot traffic.

qazbnm
Strider
Strider

#6 Post by qazbnm »

Katarina the Cleric
Katarina is eager to prove her worth and chips in into the conversation.
"I think we should take the side road too. If they won't be expecting us we'll catch them by surprise. "

She moves towards the moat and Himmel.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Dogma »

Angol StoneHammer - dwarf

I sort of like the direct approach, " chimes in the dwarf, "though if you got a fancy to try sneaking in, we should try one fo the spots where the wall is broken down."

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Dogma »

Rodger the Unfortunate - fighter

Rodger seems more interested in the finger he has digging in his nose than in any discussion on how to enter the keep. When Angol notices , the dwarf Angol smacks his hands and mutters "I told you ta stop doing that." under his breath.

"Ya don' gots ta bit hitting me Angol. I wonts do it again," Rodger replies, rubbing his stinging hand. He eyes the darbridge and the high walls of the castle. "Are we going in the casstle now? Tha door looks like its open."

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Antman9 »

Dogma wrote:Angol StoneHammer - dwarf

I sort of like the direct approach, " chimes in the dwarf, "though if you got a fancy to try sneaking in, we should try one fo the spots where the wall is broken down."

"aah," Himmel says. "Not a bad idea either. Might even be easier than tromping around in that mote too. Shall we circle around and search for an opening?"

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Antman9 »

Dogma wrote:Rodger the Unfortunate - fighter

Rodger seems more interested in the finger he has digging in his nose than in any discussion on how to enter the keep. When Angol notices , the dwarf Angol smacks his hands and mutters "I told you ta stop doing that." under his breath.

"Ya don' gots ta bit hitting me Angol. I wonts do it again," Rodger replies, rubbing his stinging hand. He eyes the darbridge and the high walls of the castle. "Are we going in the casstle now? Tha door looks like its open."

Blenda smiles at Rodger's question/statement and swaggers up to him, her chest prominently displayed accenting her ample bosom (and yes, I'm portraying her from a man's perspective, its funner that way) and says, "Yeah, we're goin' in. You and me; we got this; let’s go!" and she proceeds to tromp across the draw bridge, hopefully with Rodger.

She will look back to see if he’s coming after a couple of steps. If he doesn’t move she will stop and wave him on, “Come on! Are we doing this or not?” and then frown at him.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Dogma »

Rodger looks confused for a moment before a goofy grin spreads across his face. Hitching up his sword belt he starts after Blenda, only to pulled up short by Angol.

"Angol, whatcha doing that for? We was going inta the cas....", Rodger starts before falling silent under the dwarf glare.

"You wait here and don't do nothing until I says to, " growls Angol before stomping over to Blenda. The dwarf moves up close to the female and looks up while starting to speak, "Now you look here...". He abruptly stops, blinks several times, and then takes two careful steps back. "Now you look here," he begins again finally able to look her in the eye, "in case you hadn't noticed, my friend Rodger here ain't the brightest penny in the sack. He used to be smarter, then he took a club to the head while we was guarded a caravan down south. A club meant for me. And now I'm watching out for him, see? So he don't do nothin without my say so. Ain't that right Rodger?" He calls over his shoulder. To which Rodger readily nods his head vigorously. " So he ain't going through no door unless I say so and I...ain't ...saying...so."

dok-el
Guide
Guide

#12 Post by dok-el »

As the party members bicker amongst themselves, seemingly unable to decide upon a course of action, figures emerge from out of the castle gate. Five rough-looking male humans, armed with swords and crossbows, and wearing leather armour, step forward out of the shadows.

The apparent leader of this group speaks,

"Well, well, well, what 'ave we got 'ere then? A litter of little adventuring pups? Too scared to even cross the bridge."

There is a murmer of derisive laughter from the rest of the men.

"Looks like you're gonna 'ave to pay the toll little pups. Let's say ten gold for each one of yer that wants to come and 'ave a looksey inside this 'ere castle... And let's not be takin' all day about payin' up."

The leader stands, hands on hips, waiting expectantly. The other four men aim their crossbows in the direction of the party.

qazbnm
Strider
Strider

#13 Post by qazbnm »

Katarina, the Cleric
Katarina turns to the rest of her party:
"I won't be extorted by some ragtag bunch of bandits. I say we take them down, If no one has any other option."
She readies herself, steps towards the bandits and grips her hammer firmly. If attacked, she will hit the bandit closest to her.

qazbnm
Strider
Strider

#14 Post by qazbnm »

Markus Barro, the Thief
Markus starts laughing.
"I came here to earn money, not to get robbed. And if it's one thing a Thief hates then it's getting robbed by other thieves.I say we slit their throats and take their gold instead. "
Markus readies his bow and is prepared to fire it at the bandit closest to his current position. If attacked in close quarters he will grab his dagger to fend of his opponent.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Dogma »

Angol looks past Blenda at the five men standing in the gateway then looks back at Blenda. "Looks like I will be saying 'so', eh?" he says with a grin. To the others he whispers, "Just follow my lead. Rodger, get yer arse up here."

"Now let's not do anything hasty", he says aloud to the bandits, "Ten gold each seems a bit high. I'm sure we can come to a more mutaully beneficial amount."He starts reaching for his coins (which is conveniently close to his axe handle :)) as he strolls causally towards the bandits, Rodger not far behind.

How far away are the bandits?

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Antman9 »

Blenda nods at Angol and says, "Seems that way doesn't it." As Angol strolls toward the newcomers (read as robbing thief scalawags) Blenda turns back to the group trying to catch a few eyes and gives a quick wink as she says, "Watch this boys," then turns and swaggers her way in a serpentine fashion toward the newcomers.

After Angol has completed his speech Blenda takes over. She sways her hips wildly, thrusting her chest out to accentuate as many of her curves as possible, knowing full well this could go badly for her, though also knowing it most likely won't turn out good either way. "How aboout it boys?" she says nice and slow to the newcomers, being as alluring and flirty as she can. "Can we can come to a more mutually beneficial agreement, or are you going to be sticks in the mud?" She strolls up to Angol and runs a finger along his shoulder and down his arm. "I think we can come...up with something, don't you?" As she is speaking she hides her free hand behind her back and makes a shooting sign with her fingers, then brings it back to rest on the hilt of her sword as she leans on Angol, throwing her hair about, and smiling brightly.

OOC: Sorry, couldn't help myself

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Antman9 »

"I don't like this," Himmel whispers to Zanzibar. "That woman is going to get us killed." Himmel cringes and attempts to discern some way out of this mess, while shifting ever so slowly in an attempt to put as many bodies between him and the crossbows as possible.

dok-el
Guide
Guide

#18 Post by dok-el »

Various party members react in different ways to the appearance of the newcomers.

Katarina and Markus both ready their weapons defiantly. The leader of the other group frowns with annoyance when he sees this. However, before hostilities can escalate...

Angol the dwarf makes some friendly noises toward the bandits and apparently starts reaching for his coin purse. He and Rodger start moving forward across the bridge, watched closely from the other end. However, as they seem to be cooperating, no action is taken against them.

Blenda also starts moving across the bridge, in an interesting jiggly-wiggly sort of way. One of the bandits starts grinning idiotically and lowers his weapon.

See OOC for full tactical breakdown :) Angol, Rodger and Blenda are now half way across the bridge and so could move and attack in a single combat round, if anyone of them felt like starting a fight. The bandits are getting some mixed messages so are still cautious, but Angol's faux friendliness seems to be working out okay (no one ever said bandits were smart). Possibly, if others did decide to follow Angol's lead and pretend to cooperate it might lead to a situational advantage...

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Antman9 »

Blenda maintains her position, leaning provocatively against the Dwarf, while staring at the speaker/leader. "Well, big fella. What's it gonna be? Perhaps a share of the loot? A partnership perhaps?" She stares bright-eyed at the speaker/leader waiting for an answer.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Antman9 »

"This doesn't look good. I hate a standoff," he whispers to himself. He continues to try and maintain at least one or two bodies between him and the crossbows.

Return to “Castle of the Mad Archmage (S&W)”