IC1: Two Miles West of Dead Tree...

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC1: Two Miles West of Dead Tree...

#281 Post by Zorroroaster »

Marcus recovers his arrows and sidles up behind Reginald at the doorway.

"I suppose we have to deal with them. I'd hate to get bit in the ass at an inopportune moment."

Katarina goes to Werhas to see how he's faring. "Do you need your injuries looked at? I can offer healing to you whenever you need."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#282 Post by Antman9 »

[Werhas Brownbeard – Dwarf Fighter/Thief] (HP: 1/4) (AC: 14)

Werhas slumps to the floor holding his head with both hands, “I’s not feels so good. I could use a nap I think.” He looks up at Katarina, “You are a kind Human.

[Himmel Soothtel – Human Magic-User] (HP: 3/3) (AC: 10)

Himmel walks out from the stairwell and inspects the Giant Ants trying to determine their species and all of their physical qualities. He’s interesting in all things related to knowledge so he can’t seem to pass up an opportunity like this. “Hmmm. These are fascinating creatures, simply fascinating.” He lifts a leg up and inspects the joints, fondles an antenna, and inspects the mandibles of another ant. To no one in particular he says, “I wonder what they eat? Their hide…no shell…no, whatever this is,” he raps on their exoskeleton, “it is very tough. Resilient even. Does anyone have a knife?” He will try to break a sizable piece of exoskeleton off and put it in his pack, along with a piece of leg, antenna, and possibly a mandible if he can.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#283 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

Loman looks on into the room with the moldy foodstuffs and the remaining ants. "A poor find I say. Listen chaps, how about we leave these irritable pests to their rotten food and move on? If possible perhaps we can take an iron spike and jamb the door so it won't be opened behind us, which should help safeguard our rear-ends."

Arnthorr nods, "I concur. I doubt such rude creatures have anything worth risking further life and limb over. Better to pick our battles instead of pressing our luck, I say. Let's move on down the passage and see if there's anything worth fighting for."
"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do." - Larry Kersten

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by Zorroroaster »

Katarina casts Cure Light Wounds on Werhas:

Cure Lights Wounds: [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4 hit points healed.
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#285 Post by Antman9 »

[Werhas Brownbeard – Dwarf Fighter/Thief] (HP: 1/4) (AC: 14)

Werhas accepts the healing words form Katarina and then jumps up giving her a great big hug, "You are the best Human I have ever seen Katarina. Now, let'us kill something beefer we get mushy. That wooln't look good for a Dwarf." Werhas prepares to march over to Marcus and Reginald to see what they are up to.

FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#286 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

Loman looks on at the group arms akimbo, "So . . . do we waste our energy on some carnivorous ants with no treasure or do we press on?"
"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do." - Larry Kersten

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Zhym »

"I'd leave them alone," answers Reginald, "except for that door that lies beyond them. I'm curious what's back there. Besides, why should we think whatever we run into next will be any easier to deal with?"

FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#288 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

Loman shrugs, "One door is as good as another as far as I'm concerned, I'm just dubious about wasting ourselves on uncouth beasts who are doubtful to hoard anything of value." As he finishes he hefts his crossbow and pulls a bolt from his quiver, "I've got you covered."

Arnthorr chews his lip thoughtfully for a moment or two and then knocks an arrow and nods at Reginald.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Zorroroaster »

Marcus stacks up behind Reginald and the others, ready to fire through the doorway if combat ensues.

Katarina stands ready, one hand on her hip. "I can take a turn out front if some of you are weary from the last scrap.". It's obvious from her fidgeting that she's eager to prove herself in combat along with the rest and not be seen just as the party medic.

triplehappiness
Scout
Scout

#290 Post by triplehappiness »

Crenshaw sees the others collecting themselves and likewise scans the corpses for retrievable arrows. Most are in good shape but several have been damaged by the hard carapace of the massive ants. In looking over his arrows and testing the tension of his bowstring, he sees Himmel poking around the ant remains. Curious, he watches as Himmel attempts to extract pieces of exoskeleton and appendages. He mutters to himself, "What a strange man." and continues on towards the group. He agrees that he likes the chances of a payoff with creatures more likely to hoard valuables but he's content to follow where the group leads.

Herbert looks over the group, happy that no one was lost in the fray. He nods at Katarina as she ministers to the crusty Dwarf and invites her to stand with him in the front if she'd like to feel the impact of Valadons justice. Herbert knows and respects the desire to help his fellow combatant manage his wounds, but also appreciates the opportunity to bestow the strength of his deity in more direct ways. He takes a drink from his water skin and waits for the final motion to proceed into the room before taking up the front rank once again.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#291 Post by Antman9 »

[Himmel Soothtel – Human Magic-User] (HP: 3/3) (AC: 10)

Himmel finishes his Ant survey and joins the others. Seeing that the remaining ants are less inclined to attack he offers, "Perhaps we should leave them for another day my friends. If they are disinclined to acquiesce to your stratagem, I would suggest we honor their instinct lest we become fodder for the machine." Himmil looks both directions form the doorway. "Shall we move onward to better pastures my friends?"

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by Zorroroaster »

Katarina gratefully accepts the flask of healing from one of her comrades (not sure who is holding them) and drinks a third of the liquid, relief flooding through her body as she does so.

Quaff Healing Potion (1/3): [1d3] = 2 hit points healed.

Marcus shrugs his shoulders. "On second thought, I'll happily move along. I'm sure there's more of interest down here than oversized insects." His bravado is shaky and somewhat suspect, considering his squealing, terrified run from the ants only moments before. "We can always come back and deal with these things later."

triplehappiness
Scout
Scout

#293 Post by triplehappiness »

Herbert attains the calm that comes over him after the blood has returned to his grip and his mace has returned to it's harness at his hip. He looks around and sees everyone finishing collecting arrows and darts and putting their packs back in order. As he appraises the scene, he gets the impression that no one is thrilled by the idea of engaging the room full of ants without better evidence of it being worthwhile so he decides to close the door the way they found it and leave the ants for later. They don't seem to be going anywhere. He nods to the party and returns the way they came, heading north toward the corner in the corridor. He nods at Crenshaw and the others to be prepared and motions for Lomann or someone sufficiently sneaky to peak around the corner for possible danger. If no one steps forward, Crenshaw will do so as his chain armor is much more quiet than Herbert's plate.

Crenshaw takes Herberts nod and pulls an arrow from his quiver. He prepares to follow the group back to the norther forking passage, and wait to see if anyone volunteers to check the passage. If not, he does so himself, peeking around the corner to assess what is ahead.

triplehappiness
Scout
Scout

#294 Post by triplehappiness »

Herbert and Crenshaw attempt to look around the corner, but their view is strangely obscured. They can't see anything. Their comrades seem almost frozen in time. Deciding that some magic created by the mad archmage must be preventing them from going further, they begin packing their things for the sad journey home. Perhaps someday, they will return, when the time is right. There are other adventures out there to be had and Herbert intends to find them. Crenshaw, of course, will be by his friend's side.

Return to “Castle of the Mad Archmage (S&W)”