Chapter 01: One day at the pub

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Chapter 01: One day at the pub

#1 Post by Nordbo »

You and your mates live in Slowcroft, in the middle of Al'ata. A quiet village, in a reasonably peaceful country.

However, over the last few weeks, you have heard village elders say things like:
'darkness, darkness has fallen across the land….'
or
'a malevolent menace is threatening the whole of the realm, putting fear even into the heart of gods!!!! '

But you guys don't pay much attention to such mumbo jumbo from the old folks. Whichever way, there really isn't that much to do in sleepy Slowcroft, so this afternoon, like many others, your gang heads down to the local pub. It's not far from home but you take your horses, and leave them untied outside, like every other day.

Inside, it looks quite empty. As usual.
01-01_Scene_Slowcroft_pub.jpg
01-01_Scene_Slowcroft_pub.jpg (48.89 KiB) Viewed 917 times
However, near the entrance, a drunk that you don't recognize sits slumped. He moans and mumbles a bit to noone in particular: "I'll get him!!! She'sh...mine!"
On his lap, a pouch of some sorts rests, glistening with yucky dribble.

Over in the corner, some younger lads, lead by Timmy Oathead - usually a peaceful kid - seem to be fighting over something.

Actions!

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 01: One day at the pub

#2 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Jacob scans the room, internally cursing at Timmy, "Bastard took my favorite spot... no one bothers me in the corner..." With a light sigh he makes his way to the bar, sitting at one of the stools and drooping his head down, his hood flowing over his head and covering his face. The bartender already sets a cup down, seems this is a regular occurrence lately.

He lazily drinks his drink while listening to the people around him, most likely only the friends he came in with and the drunken guy drooling all over himself. His body language gives off either extreme laziness, extreme boredom, or extreme depression, no one's ever really figured it out.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin comes bustling in walks by the passed out drunk and works a little street trick. Trying to walk swiftly but silently and trying to reach for the strange pouch on the mans lap with swift fingers. I both moves fail he will bumble and act like he is drunk.
Move Silently
Thief Skills [1d100] = 67
Pick Pockets
Thief Skills [1d100] = 40
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Dram »

Oxeandor-Nickname Ox, Comes walking in behind Korin. Careful buddy maybe you have had to much to drink already. Put his arm around Korin, gives him a grin. Walks up to a barstool and sits between Jacob and Korin. 2 Ales please. What with the guy at the table. He asks the barkeep.

Don't have the barkeeps name.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by PyroArrow »

Norbold Ernessaeia [Sylvanian Elf Cleric: Scale Mail AC 6 : 2 / 2 HP]

Norbold's day started as usual, up & cleaned-up just before dawn.
At dawn he says his morning prayers inside the temple, to Corellon Larethian.

During the afternoon, he heads to the pub, where he meets up with some friends & offer consul to those seeking a holy man for guidance.

He happens to meet up with the lot while on horseback on the way to the pub, when they arrive he follows in behind the others.

He sees the drunk & makes a holy sign & gives a quick blessing for the drunk.

Once inside he sees the fighting, & Timmy Oathead.

Norbold heads over to Timmy.

"Now, now boys, what is the meaning of this altercation?"
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Nordbo »

Darren the barman says to Jacob, "Been a rough night then, Jakey boy ?", not really expecting a reply but winks to the others and puts out three more cups for them, while:

Korin tries to walk swiftly but silently, however, bumps into the drunk's chair and stumbles into him, which allows Korin to spirit the pouch away with swift fingers without the drunk noticing. Neither did Darren notice - but your mates saw you do it. Korin: roll a saving throw

With everyone up at the bar Darren pours out some Pail Ale to the rest and replies to Oxeandor: "G'day Ox! Nah, haven't seen that distinguished gentleman before. Thought he was your long lost cousin haw haw. But he paid for his beer all right"

Over in the corner, when Norbold addresses Timmy, he & the other 2 lads stop fighting immediately. Flushed and angry, they peer embarrassedly at Norbold and each other. The mid boy, Steff, clutching something tightly in in his hand blurts out "Wasn't me, Sir! It was him, Sir, honest, he found it first!" and points to the others. One second later - pow! They're at it again. Something falls to the floor: a crumpled up piece of paper or card.
01-02_Scene_pub_kids_fight.jpg
01-02_Scene_pub_kids_fight.jpg (37.55 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Suddenly the drunkard yelps: "She was sho, so hot!!! And now she's gone......gone! Regina....my Prinshess...<hic>"

There are a few more people inside the pub, further in along the walls but they keep quiet over their drinks & food.

Actions!

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin glad for the assistance with his farse drunkeness. Slips away to the same corner of the room as Ox and whomever else decided to sit with the two of them [Korin and Ox that is].
Save [1d20] = 1
:cry:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Nordbo »

Korin fails the saving throw, which means that his gloves have now become permanently discoloured from the lethal cocktail of beer, spit and drunkard's snot that the pouch was sprinkled with. A "cure stains" spell might work. But until such might be found - they'll look ugly.

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

What if Korin didn't have any gloves :lol:

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Dram »

Ox- Replies back to DarrenHa HA I thought it was your pops he looks a lot like ya. Especially last weekend when had your head laid low. Drooling all over the bar He then hears the fighting behind him and turns to see what going on.

Does anyone at the bar notice the paper fall to the floor? If so, I will go pick it off the floor.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by PyroArrow »

Norbold Ernessaeia [Sylvanian Elf Cleric: Scale Mail AC 6 : 2 / 2 HP]:

Norbold sighs, & makes a holy sign when the boys start to tangle again, then with his arms outstretched & palms facing outward, says, "Boys, boys, please calm down here!"

The Cleric sees the piece of crumbled paper fall, & started to stoop for it when Dram beats him to it!
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :

Player:

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Nordbo »

Timmy and the boys scuttle off in terror at the sight of two fully kitted fighting men approaching them - they run outside. Dram comes first to pick up the card that the boys were fighting over. Dram and Norbold see that it looks like this:
01-03_playing_card.jpg
01-03_playing_card.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 883 times
it appears to be a 'naughty' playing card decorated with naked, cavorting halflings. Both of you are pretty sure it could not have been designed by halflings. It 's worn, torn, stained by beer, spit and... well the same kind of dressing that adorns the snatched pouch.

Over at the bar, Darren the barman says: "Any food to go with that, guys ? Today's special is bacon & dreg".

And to Korin: "Uh Korin, I know you like to carry weird stuff around but can you get that slimy bag off my counter ? I'm trying to run a clean establishment here. Whatcha got in it, anyway ?"

The drunkard moans: "She's shoo, soo hot. And loaded. Ooh, Regina. <burp>"

To GW: Ok then it's Korin's hands that got grubby ;)

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by PyroArrow »

Norbold says,

"Dear Goodness, it's just a card with naked halflings."

He goes over to the bar & sits down,

"Yea, so what's in that disgusting sack?"

"I'll have the bacon & dreg."

Player:

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Dram »

Ox- Looks over the for any writing. Well never seen any cards like this before. She is very pretty. Any of guys want this card? If not I'll give it to the drunkard. He seems to missing it alot. Yeah I,ll have something to eat. The bacon and Dreg sounds good.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin first opens the pouch and looks inside. If not something entirely disgusting he will then empty the contents onto the bar and toss the pouch back at the drunkard whom is passed out. When questioned about it he just shrugs a bit.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Nordbo »

Bacon & dreg tastes the same as every day, although today the dreg is a bit more...well, al dente. Norbold & Ox please deduct 1 cp each.

When Korin looks into the pouch (which is actually almost like a mini sack) there is nothing gross inside. There are four items, which he tips out onto the bar. He tosses the sack back to the drunkard (who btw is not passed out). The items look like this:
01-item_pouch_contents.jpg
01-item_pouch_contents.jpg (73.25 KiB) Viewed 878 times
An amulet, some kind of rod, a scroll and a bottle with something swirling inside that looks like writing.
Darren immediately says: "Whoa now, you can't bring your own drink into this pub, remember?"

Exactly at the same time as Ox gives back the naked halfling card (that doesn't have any writing on the back) to the drunkard, the slimy sack (thrown by Korin) hits the drunkard in the face with a <slop>. The drunkard comes to, looks wildly at Ox, grabs his tunic and bursts out the following tirade:
"You know....I wish, I WISH. Uhhh.. I wish I had the gutsh... to go find her. Prinshess Regiiiiina. Wow. She'sh... hot. And loaded. Or her dad ish! Uh, and did I shay shesh hot ?
Uhh...her old maAAN! Lord Gung. He <hic> put out a reward. For her! I mean…cash....and ash! Paid to aid. Money for maiden! An' you get to keep her too.
If you shave her <s'cuse me> I mean s-s-ave her, she's yoursh too! Her hand and her royal *#€ing bank account! And <hic> the kingdom! Her dad said sho! ….Whoaaah...nobody loves me...."

He drifts off again after this unexpected outburst of 'clarity'. His beer mug is now empty.
Last edited by Nordbo on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin "Drink oh no no that is something else an elixir. Sorry though I'll put that away." he tucks the potion or w/e it truly is into his belt pouch. Then tucks the rest of the items away in his pack.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by PyroArrow »

Do we know of this Lord Gung & Princess Regina???

"Seems, a Princess is gone missing, perhaps we should look into this."

Player:

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Nordbo »

Prior knowledge:

All four: Korin, Norbold, Ox and Jacob know since before that
  • a) the House of Gung is indeed very wealthy
  • b) There exists, in some vague place, a certain Manfred, Earl of Gung (but not Lord) who does actually have a daughter called Regina Blanche, who local gossip claims is quite desirable. And single

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Dram »

Ox- What is on that there piece of parchment? Maybe its a map to his treasure or the Earls daughter. Yes we should go in search of the Earls daughter. He gives the boys a big smile. We can make our fortune all in one adventure maybe.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Return to “The Pits of Wob (1e AD&D)”