[Closed] Briarbeard Tavern (Vaul) - II

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Briarbeard Tavern (Vaul) - II

#541 Post by Zorroroaster »

Grim determination on his face, Orrin slouches forward and his fingertips toy with the rim of his tankard. He's trying to will his body to pick the damnable thing up, but his body is not cooperating. Eventually, he manages to work the cup up to his face.

Chug! (10+)(CON 14): [1d20+7] = 2+7 = 9
Drink Delay Time: [8d3] = 18

Impossibly, he still manages to finish the beer in time.

Orrin: Drinking
Total drinks: 21
CON: 14
Drink delay: 8d3
Total time: 4 hrs 9 min
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#542 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin looks increasingly desperate. Like he doesn't want to be here anymore. He wants his mommy. He thinks the tankard in his hand might just be his mommy, and he hugs it lovingly, whispering softly into the handle.

Chug! (10+)(CON 14): [1d20+7] = 16+7 = 23
Drink Delay time: [9d3] = 20
Saving Throw vs. Poison (8): [1d20] = 2
CON loss: [1d3] = 3

By now, Orrin has completely embarrassed himself, trying to get ale into his mouth and having it spill all over his beard, in his ear, down his back. He can't control his muscles any longer, and it's clear the only thing keeping him upright is the bar itself.

Then as slowly as possible his head starts to sink forward. Time seems to stand still as his forehead inches forward, closer and closer towards the surface of the bar. After what seems like an eternity, his face gently comes to rest on the tankard he couldn't finish, and a soft snoring can be heard from beneath his sodden beard.

Orrin: Comatose
Total drinks: 22 (failed on 22, so 21 completed!)
CON: 11
Drink Delay: 9d3
Total time: 4 hours, 30 minutes
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#543 Post by KingOfCowards »

An epic drinking match my friends! Well done Orrin.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#544 Post by Zorroroaster »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........zzzzzzzzzzzzz........hic! Thanks, you too!

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#545 Post by Dogma »

"Ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Dwarf when DRINKING is on the line!"

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#546 Post by Zorroroaster »

ha! Too true. That iron constitution will get you every time. It makes me wonder if I personally could drink 21 pints in 4 and 1/2 hrs without having to call an ambulance!

Well done, Martin!

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#547 Post by Scott308 »

Scott308 wrote:
Keehnelf wrote: Dorvar, on the other hand, has rolled two 20s for saves vs. poison during this contest, suggesting that he is naturally immune to the major damaging effects of ale. No more poison saves needed in the future.

Also, I have him pegged at 12 total successful drinks, not 11 at the end.

I've added the math back in as necessary, but anyone with 10 current drinks or more who is still in the competition has a +2 penalty on CON checks due to massive fullness.

Drinker Status:

Dorvar - Spectating
Drinks Counted: 12
Delay Time: 7d3
Elapsed Time: 2 hours, 38 minutes
By "in the future," does that mean only in future drinking contests, or period, any circumstances?

Also, without those last two con deductions, I would have different results on my last two drinks. I would still fail the third drink, but my time was good for that one. However, I would have succeeded on my Con check for the eliminating drink, even with the +2 penalty, so I would not have needed to add an extra delay to my roll. Is that 7d3 delay time correct, or did you not adjust it because I was eliminated? I need to know so I know exactly how many dice to roll to see if I am still in the contest.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#548 Post by Zorroroaster »

So Dorvar is still potentially in? I didn't realize this never got sorted. Keep drinking then! If you needed to readjust because of the natural 20s, I'd say go for it, and see how far you get. So you don't have to do Poison saves, but still have to add time for each successive fail, right? You have to beat 21 drinks!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#549 Post by Keehnelf »

I have unfortunately not had the chance to catch up, and since you guys barreled on without me it has gotten even harder for me to dedicate the time needed to work my way through :/

Yes, it means no more poison saves vs. this kind of booze ever--so Dorvar could drink slower from failed CON tests but his iron constitution would stay where it is no matter how badly he drinks.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#550 Post by Zorroroaster »

Apologies! I'm sure none of us meant any disrespect...just got caught up in the fun. I believe we kept pretty good tally of things once it snowballed...

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#551 Post by KingOfCowards »

Drink 1:
Chug (Con 11): [1d20+5] = 12+5 = 17
Delay Time: [7d3] = 14
Poison Save (8): [1d20] = 20

It looks like Dorvar rolled his second 20 all the way back on drink #10 (it says Drink #1, but it's really drink #10)
During which point he was already chugging. We can assume his next three drinks would also be chugging and he actually makes his check on two of those three due to not having any further CON loss.
Drink 2:
Chug (Con 11): [1d20+5] = 7+5 = 12
Delay Time: [8d3] = 13
Poison Save (8): [1d20] = 1
Con Reduction: [2d3] = 3

Drink 3:
Chug (Con 8): [1d20+5] = 6+5 = 11
Delay Time: [9d3] = 14
Poison Save (8): [1d20] = 2
Con Reduction: [1d3] = 2

Drink 4:
Chug (Con 6): [1d20+5] = 2+5 = 7
Delay Time: [10d3] = 20
Poison Save (8): [1d20] = 8

From that viewpoint I think he is holding his own at:

Dorvar - Drinking
Drinks Counted: 13
Delay: 8d3

Game back on!
Last edited by KingOfCowards on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#552 Post by Dogma »

Same here! Just got caught up in the fun. Now we can cheer Dorvar on! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK! Cannonball!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#553 Post by Keehnelf »

No disrespect felt, just realizing how much more work was associated with this all at the current stage :)

Still planning to work my way through, I just rarely get the chance to sit down for longer stretches. Despite the length of some of my posts, I'm only here sporadically--I just type at about 115wpm :)

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#554 Post by Zorroroaster »

What's been most fun is trying to come up with novel ways to describe one's increasing state of inebriation...

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#555 Post by Zorroroaster »

KoC, the only thing that looks out of whack there, is that in those three drinks after his last natural 20, he should now be at a +7 adjustment for a chug rather than +5 for being over 10 drinks. That means he would have failed the second of those drinks as well, bringing him to 9d3 time delay.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#556 Post by KingOfCowards »

Zorroroaster wrote:KoC, the only thing that looks out of whack there, is that in those three drinks after his last natural 20, he should now be at a +7 adjustment for a chug rather than +5 for being over 10 drinks. That means he would have failed the second of those drinks as well, bringing him to 9d3 time delay.
You're right. I missed the +2 disadvantage. Nice catch.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#557 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I would just like to say that......someday........I wanna party with you guys. :lol:
I almost wet my pants on the "couldn't count his thumbs" line.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#558 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar sees a mug of ale left unattended. Since nobody else is drinking anymore, he figures it must be his. He hesitates as he puts it to his lips, unsure if he really wants to continue. Eventually, his dwarven nature gets the better of him and he throws it down in one massive gulp, barely able to keep it from spraying everywhere.

Drink 14:
Chug (Con 11): [1d20+7] = 2+7 = 9 Success!
Delay Time: [9d3] = 17 (18 minutes total.)

Ghrmmie, mights well bring mor beerz! Ghrym does as requested, and sets more tankards in front of the determined dwarf. Dorvar starts rhythmically pounding the table, waiting until he has others in the bar accompanying him. He then quickly grabs the next mug and proceeds to chug.

Drink 15:
Chug (Con 11): [1d20+7] = 18+7 = 25 Ruh-Roh!
Delay Time: [10d3] = 19 (20 minutes-still alive!)

Whispering, Val. Hey, Val! Val! Dorvar starts laughing as he realizes he is now yelling at the elf. Val- you, you, youuuu'rea smert guy! I can't not tell how manys? Did I win?

After receiving reassurances that he has not won, Dorvar hoists yet another mug. To drinksing wif frenz, ol an neww. May we... He seems to have lost track of what he was doing, as the dwarf is currently sitting at the table with his mug held high in a toast, blinking, unable to recall what exactly he was toasting. The trance is broken when Dorvar belches loudly. Wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, he realizes he is still in the contest and slams his ale. Dorvar is powering through his ale. It looks like he is going to be able to finish within the time limit easily when he starts laughing uncontrollably. He has to set the mug down while he tries to gather himself to continue the competition, but he has a difficult time doing so. When it looks like he will be able to continue, he starts laughing all over again. Anyone looking in his mug would see there is only a few sips left- child's play for a dwarf, yet he can't become serious for just the few seconds it will take to finish. Finally, he regains control, wiping the tears of laughter from his eyes. He swallows the last dregs of the ale, and looks around to see how he is doing.

Drink 16:
Chug (Con 11): [1d20+7] = 9+7 = 16
Delay Time: [10d3] = 19
Delay Time: [1d3] = 1
Total of 21 minutes- Dorvar is finally eliminated! (Turns out you get an error if you try to roll more than 10 dice- that's why I split the delay roll.)

After he is informed that he has been eliminated, he shrugs his shoulders. Ghrmmy! I'm buyin' wine for, he makes a circular motion with his finger over his head, indicating everyone in the bar, annys of these guys and womans what wans one! We drink to the winner! He looks around, red-eyed and bleary, trying to focus on the other competitors. Whooo won?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#559 Post by Zorroroaster »

OGRE MAGE wrote:I almost wet my pants on the "couldn't count his thumbs" line.

I imagine Orrin probably did...

Good job, Dorvar!

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#560 Post by Dogma »

if you go by total number of drinks I think Orrin won. If you go by number of drinks in the shortest time I think Martin won (1 drink every 10.6 minutes vs 1 every 11.2 for Orrin. Not sure what Dorvar's final time was...

Regardless, I had a blast. Thanks everyone. Now someone roll Martin over on his side so he doesn't choke on his own vomit.....

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”