The Hunt - Marius and Eddie Take Aim

Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Hunt - Marius and Eddie Take Aim

#121 Post by Grognardsw »

"Some tasty treats, a girl with three teats, hungry for your meats!" the dwarf perversely rhymes and winks.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Starbeard »

Marius looks around to see if Eddie is anywhere within sight. He takes a breath, removes his hat, and motions for the midget to lead the way to the tent. He tries to keep an eye on him the entire time, only occasionally taking a glance around to see if they're followed.
I hadn't thought of it, but what can we assume Marius has on him, weapon-wise?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Grognardsw »

The midget leads Marius along.

The hunter feels inside his vest at his .41 caliber pistol. He doesn't see Eddie Sharpe around.

Inside the tent...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Starbeard »

Marius eyes the performers suspiciously, and then looks back to see if the midget has gone back outside. If this guy was the one who came to his house, either he didn't recognize Marius or is very good at playing sly. After a quick look around to see if any strongmen are in the tent, he returns to the midget and expresses his disinterest in staying for the show.

'Sorry, I get claustrophobic in small tents. When do the ladies get some time off today?' Marius feels like a bit of a sleaze, but he's got to find some way of getting a carnie or two alone so he can start beating around the bush and gather up some information, and possibly get an excuse to go looking through their tents.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Grognardsw »

The midget steps outside after Marius enters the tent. The hunter surveys the scene - one of the women does indeed have three breasts - and leaves the tent to catch up with the dwarf.

"The ladies work shifts," he answers. "But if you're interested, they entertain privately between dances. Give 'em a tip and a tug and they'll take you out back. Worth every penny I say!" He smiles a crooked smile with missing teeth.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Starbeard »

Marius re-enters the tent, awkwardly motions to one of the girls—he can't quite manage to make eye contact with the one with three breasts—and offers a small tip, hoping she'll get the hint.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Grognardsw »

The brunnette smiles and winks as she takes Marius' tip. After the dance is complete there is a break and the girls exit the stage and disappear into the back.

Marius is soon alone with the carny prostitute. "Hey stranger time for some fun," she says as she begins to unbuckle his belt.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Starbeard »

Marius stops her for a moment. 'I, em… I get the jitters with people around. Do you have a caravan we can go back to?'

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Grognardsw »

The girl brings Marius back to a small private tent space within the back of the tent, divided by hanging canvases. A cot and chair are the only furniture. She smiles.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Starbeard »

'I meant something a bit more private than here on the fairground. There must be some place we can go, maybe where the living tents are?' Marius is getting a little nervous now, he's not sure this spontaneous plan is going to work out after all.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Grognardsw »

The girl shakes her head. "This is where the fun happens honey."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Starbeard »

Marius tips his hat shyly. 'Well, I guess I'll have to apologize. Seem to have lost my nerve. Keep the tip.' He exits the tent and takes another look around, this time for a strongman act.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Grognardsw »

"Step right up ladies and gentlemen, and behold the mighty muscles of Oscar the Wild, strongman of the Congo!

Oscar lifts weights and has a hammer to hit a "Test Your Strength!" scale.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Starbeard »

Marius takes a bit of time to study Oscar the Wild's face, and then turns to see if he can find Eddie again.

'If we can find Oscar's tent or carriage,' he thinks, 'we could take a look around and see what comes up. Maybe Eddie and I can needle where it is out of someone, or at worst just sit around until we catch him returning to his living quarters. Might not be a bad idea to do that with the midget, too.

Marius continues looking for Eddie, getting ready to put on his best 'reporter's assistant' act.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Grognardsw »

"Show us your strength!" exclaims the strongman to the onlookers. "Prove your manhood!" Demonstrate your virility!"

Marius watches Osacar the Wild. He may be wild, but the hunter can plainly see Oscar is not from the Congo. The strongman strikes the scale with a large mallet, sending the small weight flying up the post to hit the bell on top.

Marius turns away in search of Eddie Sharpe the reporter. He walks down the right side of the big tent, passing freak show entertainers, games of chance, and concessions. Passing in front of the big tent, Marius strolls around to the left side to see a similar row of entertainments.

He finally sights Eddie emerging from the "Headless Woman" tent.

"That woman is disturbing, but I think it has to do with mirrors," says Eddie upon greeting Marius. "But the whole thing is unsettling given the murders and decapitated heads. I found the Seeress' tent on this side. You said she has a Miskatonic ring? What did you find on the other side?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Starbeard »

'Yeah, she had one strung to her necklace, with a whole lot of other rings, all mismatched. Did you see it?

Marius points over to the ladies' tent and Oscar the Wild's stand. I didn't find much. I found came across a midget over there, cat calling for a strip dancing tent. I'm not sure if he's the midget we're looking for or not. Anyway, the ladies take payment, if you know what I mean, and I tried scamming them into letting me see the living tents. No luck.

'Just over there is a strongman, Oscar the Wild. The driver of the truck at my place was a real big guy, maybe that strongman. Want to try interrogating him, or maybe have a snoop in his living quarters? I'm up for it.'

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Grognardsw »

"I didn't go yet in the Seeress' tent," replies Eddie.

The reporter glances back to where the carnies' tents and trucks are, across a 40' field behind the big tent. "In daylight, it'd be hard to poke around back there unseen. We could plead ignorance I suppose. I'm not sure how to figure out who lives where."

"Hmm, which one - the Seeress, tail and question the strongman, or poke around their living area?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Starbeard »

Marius rubs his chin, not really sure what to do. 'Well, if we're going to get this over with in time for you to get back to Providence, we can't wait until dark. That gets rid of sneaking around the tents as an option. If I stick around, though, I can spy on who's going into the tents—maybe even poke around tomorrow after they've left.'

He tosses the sticky dowel of cotton candy onto the ground. 'But that's getting ahead of things. For starters, let's go pay the seeress another visit, then we'll try and catch Oscar the Wild.'

Marius gathers his wits and leads the way back to the fortune teller's tent, wondering how she will react to seeing him again.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Grognardsw »

Marius and Eddie approach the Seeress tent.

Near the curtained entryway are signs.

They step in, and breath and smell strong incense. A scratchy record plays strange jazz music at a low volume. Sitting at a round table is the "Seeress." She appears to to be from the Middle East, though whether from Egypt or not they are not sure. Candles burn next to a ouija board, crystal ball, tarot cards and bones.

The Seeress sits behind her table. Is that a momentary look of surprise on her face?

"You would have the Fates speak with you?" she asks.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Starbeard »

'Yes, why not? We're free.' Marius sits down calmly, attempting to come across as though he does not recognize the woman. He holds out his hand.
'Do we give you our palms?'

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”