The Hunt - Marius and Eddie Take Aim

Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Hunt - Marius and Eddie Take Aim

#101 Post by Grognardsw »

Marius reaches Arkham Gazette reporter Eddie Sharpe and shares his information. The journalist agrees to investigate with Marius the Dark Pharaoh Freak Show & Carnivale, though it may be another day or two. That gives Marius time to talk with Gordon Pym the private investigator.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Starbeard »

Finally, before heading home, Marius pulls out his notepad with Pym's contact information scribbled onto it, and rings the operator once again. As he waits for the call to be patched through he realizes he hadn't actually planned on what to say, and suddenly feels a bit foolish for thinking that a professional private investigator would have any reason to divulge information to a meddling citizen.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Grognardsw »

A bit nervous but knowing he has information the P.I. can use, Marius calls Gordon Pym.

A fast-talking, vibrant voice answers the line.

"This is Gordon Pym. How can I help you?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Starbeard »

'Erm, hello. Mr. Pym, my name is Albertoni, Marius Albertoni. I live outside of Arkham. You weren't expecting my call, but I was hoping to talk to you about the case of the murdered Miskatonic girl. The police have told me you're investigating. I was the man who found the girl, and I may be able to help a bit with information—a thing or two which I happen to know haven't been in the police reports yet. Could we meet somewhere?'

Marius waits for a reply, his hand clutching a note slip containing a telephone message at the post office by Eddie Sharpe while he was at the station. He reads over it again, trying to work out in his mind how quickly he can send his family off to his sister-in-law's place, then travel down to Worcester to meet up with his cohort at the carnival—it seems like Eddie's time is short, and he's got to get back to Providence by evening to check out a club. It sounds interesting, but he wants to set a date for meeting with Pym before he gets ahead of himself.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Grognardsw »

"Marius, yes, I recall the name from the police reports," says private investigator Gordon Pym. "Yes I would like to talk. I'm actually in Arkham center now, at the Arkham Gazette offices. Would you like to come over and talk over coffee?"

The post office that Marius is at is only a short walk from the newspaper offices, so Marius and Gordon are soon sitting at the corner diner sipping coffee and sharing information.

"I've been hired by the Cranston family, whose daughter was the victim you found. She was a senior at Miskatonic University," says Pym.
"Like I said, I saw your name in the police report. I've talked with the officers involved, and went to the mill site, and saw a reference to a ticket stub you found in the mill basement from the Dark Pharaoh Freak Show & Carnivale. I was meaning to catch up with you eventually."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Starbeard »

'That's right, Mr. Pym, looks like you've got it down pat. I saw the ticket stub too, and went out to the carnival with a news man. That place gave me the creeps. We ended up cornering one of the ladies, a fortune teller, when we saw her with a Miskatonic. ring—she had a whole necklace of 'em, different rings from different places. I didn't press her hard about it or anything, I just mentioned that the girl—Ms. Cranston—had just been killed and was probably a student there. Let me tell you, I got shut down real quick after that.'

Marius continues to divulge his recent experiences to the investigator over coffee, in particular the harassments of the carney man. However, after eying Gordon up, he wonders if it would be a good idea to mention the unearthly creature that left no tracks outside his house—instead he simply relates that his goat went missing, and that he knows it wasn't from any wild animals because he can spot their tracks with his eyes closed, and there weren't any around, passing it off that the carney stole it.

'You might also want to get in touch with Eddie Sharpe.' He rips a small piece of paper from his notebook and writes down his contact information, handing it to the investigator. 'Eddie works for the town Gazette, and has been writing on the case. I'm driving out to meet him today at the carnival for another look-see, in fact. He's in Providence getting leads on a string of similar murders to this one, each one happening when the Dark Pharoah's show was in town. Mark my words, that place has some answers the police haven't found yet.'

Rambling on some more about Eddie's own findings—insofar as they were reported to him—Marius mentions the arrest of the bookseller, the newest murder, and Eddie's contacts suspecting some connection between the murders, a jazz club and some drug ring. He leaves out the fact that Eddie's contacts are all on the weird side, thinking that it might cause Gordon to take their clue-finding less seriously.

After hearing whatever else Pym has to say, Marius sips the last of his coffee and shakes hands. 'Well, I should probably head out if I'm to make it to Worcester in time. …If you're not doing anything we can travel out there together? I imagine you'd want to take a look around there yourself, anyway.'
Marius will take a Psychology(?) check to see if he can sense how Pym would react to the paranormal aspects of the investigation. If he thinks that it would be received well, he'll divulge that information, after all:

Psychology (5%): [1d100] = 47

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Grognardsw »

"It sounds like I can get two birds with one stone if I tag along to Worcester," says Pym. "Let's go!"

The hunter and private eye go to Arkham station and catch a train to Worcester. It's an hour trip, during which time the two discuss the case in more detail. Pym is surprised to hear about the other murders and involvement of the Feds. "This has gotten a lot bigger real fast," he says.

The train pulls into the station. Marius sees Eddie Sharpe in the station's waiting room.

"Marius! Good to see you again. Who is joining us?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Starbeard »

'Hi, Eddie! This is Mr. Gordon Pym. He's a private investigator, hired by the Cranstons—well, here, let him introduce himself.'

Marius rolls another cigarette as they exchange pleasantries, then asks, 'So, what do you fellas say, shall we give this freak show the once over?' On the way over Marius takes a convenient opportunity to lean into Eddie's ear, 'Say, Eddie, what's the deal with this jazz club you're headed to tonight? Is this something we want to keep from the P.I.?'

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Grognardsw »

Sept. 13, 1925, 11:30 am
Worcester, MA

Introductions are made. The three men take a taxi to the outskirts of town to where the Dark Pharaoh Freak Show & Carnivale is camped out. Along the way, Arkham Gazette reporter Eddie Sharp answers Marius: "I don't see any harm in helping out Gordon, we're working toward the same goals. You can tell him about Club Zothique."

A main circus tent is surrounded by a half-dozen smaller tents, most likely housing oddities or small attractions. Scattered about are a multitude of booths for games of chance. A ‘House of Horror’ figures prominently. There is a modest ferris wheel and merry-go-round with fish of the sea instead of horses. There is a gated enclosure with ponies and mules for kiddy rides. A half-circle of carnival trucks, trailers and cars form an enclosure of sorts in the back of the carnival. Business is light at this hour. From the distance Marius can make out some garish and shocking posters advertising the freaks within.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Starbeard »

Marius looks around, trying with difficulty to hide the disdain on his face, especially as he's convinced they're surrounded by murderous lunatics. He lowers his hat onto his brow and attempts to tuck his chin in, hoping to shade his face a bit. 'Keep your eyes peeled for a midget. He might recognize me if he gets a good look, so don't call attention, just make sure I'm looking the other way. The fortune teller might be a good place to start again: she'll know my face too, so maybe one of you two should scope her. I can take a look around the grounds to see where the troupe's living trailers are. If that short carney is around, I'd like to get a snoop on him.'

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Grognardsw »

"I'll try the Seeress," offers Gordon Pym the flatfoot.

Marius and reporter Eddie Sharpe walk nonchalantly over to the back of the big tent where the living quarters for the carnivale crew are. Being broad daylight it is difficult to explore stealthily. There is an open field of high grass 20’ deep and 40’ long after which are parked a semi-circle row of trailers, wagons and trucks. Behind these vehicles are what look like private tents that are living quarters for the carnivale crew. Carnies and crew walk about here and there.

There are six trailers, three of which look to be living quarters; ten wagons, which appear to be for transport of people or small luggage only; and seven trucks of medium and large size, which Marius supposes to be for transport of equipment, tents and the like. The newspaperman and hunter will need to move beyond the row of vehicles for a better look at the tents behind them.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Starbeard »

'Well, this looks tricky. Which one of these do you reckon belongs to the midget?' Marius looks over the three nearby trailers which look like living quarters, seeing if there are any names or other evidence of who might reside in each.

He looks around to see if there are any crew near them, and if not, he tries walking nonchalantly along the trailers, trying to listen for signs of people within.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Grognardsw »

"We'll probably be seen crossing the field," comments Eddie. The pair loiter until they believe they see no one, then nonchalantly cross to the trailer area. The three trailers that look like living quarters do have names on them - Sally, Jesse, Gerty - but don't indicate who may live within.

There are tents beyond. Marius and Eddie duck behind a truck when a tall skeletally thin man walks by, whistling dixie.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Starbeard »

'Eddie, I've got an idea,' Marius explains. 'If you've got your reporter kit with you, maybe you can interview some of the carnies to see who's in charge, and find out who Sally, Jesse and Gerty are. I'll try and track down the midget, see if he's here, and meet back with you in a bit. Maybe we can use your cover as a journalist to get inside one of the trailers and scout around.'

Marius waits to hear Eddie's response before heading back to the main fairground, sidling along the perimeter on the lookout for the midget he saw at his place.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Grognardsw »

"That's a good idea," says Eddie, taking out his reporters notebook. "Be careful."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Starbeard »

'You too. If you see me without my hat on, it means I'm in trouble.'

With that, Marius takes a walk around the outside of the fairgrounds. After some thought, he decides to get some large fair food—cotton candy or something—so that he can keep something held up to his face to keep himself obscured. As he continues his walk around, he keeps a sharp lookout for either the midget or the burly man who was with him. He also periodically looks around to make sure he isn't being followed.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Grognardsw »

Marius buys a stick of cotton candy,
a pink bob of sugary fluff that makes a convenient face obscurer. The hunter walks about looking for midget and strong-man. Marius realizes he's arrived at the carnivale early in the day, and that the sparse crowds will pick up as the day goes on, reaching its height probably after dark.The daylight defuses some of the sense of mystery of the carnivale. The grubbiness is evident, the tawdriness apparent. Marius passes many curiosities.

Spidora – the spider woman!

A disturbing little girl, who upon closer inspection is not young, approaches Marius and holds out a flower.

Then a midget approaches him. "A stranger alone in a strange land," he says with a crooked smile.

"Perhaps you want some company, a special someone to reveal mysteries of the flesh?" He points to a nearby small tent with a closed, curtained entryway.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Starbeard »

A little bewildered and uncomfortable at having been approached, Marius doesn't answer right away, but instead looks the midget over to see if he recognizes him as the same one he met during his first trip to the carnival, or from the encounter at his house.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Grognardsw »

Marius looks at the little person more closely. Yes indeed, it is the same dwarf from the carnivale last time. He doesn't appear to recognize you. Marius isn't certain if its the same dwarf he saw at his mailbox, because Marius saw that from a far distance.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Starbeard »

Marius attempts not to sound too tense. 'What's in the tent?'

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”