Into the Lair

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Into the Lair

#481 Post by rredmond »

''I say that I hope we find his animal friend on the way,'' Nuonne agrees shivering a bit himself, ''but let us finish this job proper and expunge the evil dark from this underswamp lair.''
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#482 Post by zebediah »

"You fellas speak wisely, we must search this place upside down before we return. Let us make sure that Kraden remains warm while we search thoroughly all the areas, but we have to check in such a way that we are sure that no evil remained behind. As I stated earlier, I believe the one that escaped, if tries to act on revenge, is more dangerous to us than to the villagers."

Solinor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Into the Lair

#483 Post by Solinor »

To the south of the pool room you find two room. One is filled with mud (#5) and the other (#6):

The pool here has been the final resting spot for many a
skeleton, after the slimy creatures of the lower level have
picked it clean. Two mossy columns support a low
ceiling. The floor is entirely covered with clear water,
sloping to a depth of 6’ in the center. Dozens of skeletons
arevisible, and a strong smell of death and decay is in the
air.

You find nothing of value in either room. The other two options you have are the boat and and the room with the 'X' on the door which is room (#18).

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#484 Post by wolfpack »

The room with the X smells of death, I say we take the boat.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#485 Post by zebediah »

"Agreed, but we must also check that room later on."

Solinor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#486 Post by Solinor »

You board the boat and discover an underground pond of sorts. lizards bigger than a man swim in the water as you pass through the pond but they do not disturb the boat. No sign remains of the swamman you saw eaten by them. A dock of sorts is found on the opposite side of the pond.

You disembark and to the west you find a series of muddy rooms where normal small animal creatures live and nothing of value. To the east and south you find a series of rooms that possess the same stench as the lizard men you fought. Amidst their living quarters you find in various stashes coin equal to 16 gp, 20 ep, 57 sp, and 180 cp. You also find a set of stairs similiar to the ones at the entrance to this foul lair.

You descend down the stairs into an area that seems like a more natural set of caverns rather than muddy hewn tunnels, although the wetness of the place doesn't lessen. You cross some large stepping stones that allow an easy way through a flooded tunnel. As those in the lead wait for the others to cross terrified voices echo from the east tunnels. With weapons ready you advance to see the source of the commotion.

You pass through an open door and come into a large 50x50 room constructed of dungeon stone with a large pillar in the middle.
On the far side of the room is another open door and you hear unsettling growls and the banging of metal followed by normal human voices filled with fright.

As you reach the far side of the room the banging stops and you look east into what appears a prison area complete with metal bar prison cells. A most foul and frightening creature seems to have been tormenting those in the cells and trying to get at them with no success.

As your torch light spills into room to reveal the scene there is barely a pause before the black skinned creature rushes the party.

You passed through rooms 20 on the first floor and down the stairs to 21. Then from there made your way to the sound of the voices in 24/25. The entrance of room 25 is where you are when this encounter occurs.

Intentions and then intiative?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#487 Post by wolfpack »

does the creature look black becuase that is it's skin color, or black becuase it's skin is rotting and decayed.

Either way I fire 2 arrows, but if it looks undead I fire 2 silver arrows.

12 and 12

damage 4 and 2
http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ults&pc=89

init 3
http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=1034

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#488 Post by rredmond »

I am missing 24 and 25? Am I mistaken, or are we on another yet unexplored level? I think it's the second one, but I'm so often mistaken. :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#489 Post by rredmond »

If'en he is undead then:

"Fear the light, evil denizen of the dark!!!" Nuonne brandishes the holy symbol of Dyleus at the evil creature:

[1d20] = 18

:)

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#490 Post by zebediah »

If the creature is an animal Ankhar will cast sleep on it.

If not he will meet it with steel (sword + shield). If 14 hits the damage will be either 10, if the foe is small or medium, or 15 if it is large.

Solinor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#491 Post by Solinor »

rredmond wrote:I am missing 24 and 25? Am I mistaken, or are we on another yet unexplored level? I think it's the second one, but I'm so often mistaken. :)
Sorry, I remember pasting in the link for the second level but I must not have submitted it. There is a second level map now to help clarify where you guys are.

Solinor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#492 Post by Solinor »

Initiative 5 for the wight.

The creature charges forward and in the seconds it takes to reach the party you have decided upon your actions.
Rondar's arrow flies past the creatures head as it jumps and slashes its claws amidst the party. The smell of burnt meat strong about the creature. As it lashes out Rondar is struck and the creatures attack seems to draw black energy from Rondar, who falls away like a felled tree. Ankhar's blade strikes the creature and the same black energy seems to resist his sword's edge.

Ankhar then steps forward "Fear the light, evil denizen of the dark!!!" Nuonne brandishes the holy symbol of Dyleus at the evil creature. It recoils violently at his proclamation and tries to retreat. As it retreats Viscata pursues the creature with the snake blade sword and strikes at the creatures back. There is a spark as the sword cuts through the black energy that resisted Ankhar's sword. The creature makes no sound as it falls and slides across the floor.

Viscata approaches the fallen creature caustiously and then drives the sword again into the prone unmoving form. It seems undead and badly badly burned.

As torchlight is shined on Rondar he seems gaunt and a shell of the former half-orc you knew just moments before, almost causing you to recoil. He is alive though.

OOC: Rondar is alive but is now 0-level. Your hit points are halved and you have 2 points of damage. Sorry man.

The yelling voices of humans in the prison echo "Help us! Save us!"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#493 Post by wolfpack »

0 level in both classes or just 1

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#494 Post by Argennian »

Kraden cries out as the wight attacks and fells Rondar. He shuffles forward as quickly as he can to offer his torch's light to the scene as Viscata deals the deathblow to the creature.

When he notices the prisoners calling out for help, he'll try to calm them down. "Please, everyone quiet down! You people are all safe now, unless there is other creatures or minions of evil about. Have you knowledge of such?", the young ranger querries.
Last edited by Argennian on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Solinor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#495 Post by Solinor »

wolfpack wrote:0 level in both classes or just 1
How would you rule?

Technically you are a 1st level character having not gained any levels, so I am inclined to think 0-level. Anyone else has experience with this? I am open to discussion in this case.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#496 Post by wolfpack »

for multiclass I take away a level in one class (whichever is higher or in the case of both being the same whichever requires more XP to advance). However it's up to you how you handle it.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#497 Post by zebediah »

Ankhar will check on Rondar and see if there is anything he can do to heal him.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#498 Post by Argennian »

Solinor wrote:How would you rule?

Technically you are a 1st level character having not gained any levels, so I am inclined to think 0-level. Anyone else has experience with this? I am open to discussion in this case.
wolfpack wrote:for multiclass I take away a level in one class (whichever is higher or in the case of both being the same whichever requires more XP to advance). However it's up to you how you handle it.
FWIW (don't have my books with me presently), I believe that Wolfpack's description is btb (or if not, very close to it). With multi-class characters, whichever one of the classes that is higher in XP (or would take more XP to gain the next level) gets affected by a level drain. Since he would need more XP to level in fighter than in the thief class, he would loose one level in fighter. If he had leveled to 2nd in thief and was still 1st in fighter, he'd lose 1 level in the thief class only.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Solinor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#499 Post by Solinor »

Argennian wrote:
Solinor wrote:How would you rule?

wolfpack wrote:for multiclass I take away a level in one class (whichever is higher or in the case of both being the same whichever requires more XP to advance). However it's up to you how you handle it.
FWIW (don't have my books with me presently), I believe that Wolfpack's description is btb (or if not, very close to it). With multi-class characters, whichever one of the classes that is higher in XP (or would take more XP to gain the next level) gets affected by a level drain. Since he would need more XP to level in fighter than in the thief class, he would loose one level in fighter. If he had leveled to 2nd in thief and was still 1st in fighter, he'd lose 1 level in the thief class only.
Okay, this works fine. But I think you will still be considered multi-class for all intent and purposes. We can work out you getting your fighter level back.

Solinor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#500 Post by Solinor »

zebediah wrote:Ankhar will check on Rondar and see if there is anything he can do to heal him.
He has a greivous claw wound that can use healing.

Return to “Mortaya”