And the Quest Begins....

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

And the Quest Begins....

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

This will be the official IC thread. Please keep anything that you post in here "game related". I don't mind if you ask something OOC on here, as long as you put it in red or mark it as such, but I want to try to keep this IC thread clear of nonsense or other multiple post ramblings that could be posted over in the OOC thread.

This is one thing that I'm going to be a little strict on. I don't want guys (or girls) using this game thread as a chat room. This is a slower post game and some of us are on here a lot more than others. I don't want the players that can't check it every day to have to read through a bunch of gibberish that doesn't pertain to the game action.

If I see posts that aren't game related I will either try to move them to the proper thread or simply delete them outright. With no hard feelings of course. :)

I think most of us play similarly but for the newer players.....If it's possible, I would like everyone to put their characters dialogue in blue, (dialogue button in full editor) and any OOC comments or questions in red. (ooc button)

I would also like it if you could put your characters name at the top of each post, at least until we all get used to who's who.

Thanks!

First post soon come....

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: And the Quest Begins....

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The four of you gather the morning after your meeting with the Duke and find the wagon that is to transport you into the pass. The driver, Otto, waits for you with a wry smile from on top of the seats. As you begin to load your gear, you hear the Duke calling out for you. He strides up to the wagon with a huge grin on his face. Alongside him is the most beautiful.......... Halfling any of you has ever seen, dressed in an immaculate set of plate mail armor and decked to the hilt with adventuring gear and weapons. You notice that he bears a sun symbol scar across his brow, but it doesn't take away from his handsome magnetism.

The Duke steps up and proudly clears his throat.

My friends, this little fellow is Halo Buckberry. He is a warrior priest from the temple of Pelor.

Believe it or not......

The Duke chuckles a little

Halo will be joining your party. The gods must favor this mission as this is surely a sign of good fortune. I knew my reach was long but surly I never expected this type of help.

The Duke seems quite delighted that he has found you a companion of such....... high standing. The Paladins of Pelor are well renowned for their abilities and skills in battle.

You can't really tell if he's using a mocking tone about the Halfling's stature, or if he is just gloating about being able to retain such qualified assistance.

There is one more thing. We know of a monastery high up in the peaks and far to the east that is dedicated to the teachings of Issek of the Jug. The Clerics of their temple have also heard of the terror in the passes and have sent one of their own followers to investigate and assist. If you find him out there on the road, he would also be a tremendous ally for the group. Trust me...you will know who he is when you see him. I have never been there but, I'm told that they have a very distinct look about themselves.
Im cool with a little roleplaying here but I will try to move this along quickly in order to get the rest of the players involved ASAP. Please don't let that discourage you from role playing as much as you want to in the future though. Thanks.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Thomas nods to the halfling, "Well met, Halo. I am Thomas of the Pureflame, cleric of Joramy; a sister order to Pelor." He extends his arm is greeting, "By her own divine flame we shall purge the filth that has decided to reside in these mountains, what say brother?"
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drezule "Drez" nods as the Duke speaks. Then gives a sideways glance at the halfling Paladin? :shock: Drez's left eyebrow can't help but raise up high questioning that. Drez soon can't remain quiet "A paladin eh hairfoot? That'd be a first." he then walks up to the halfling extends his right hand in the form of a handshake. "Can't say as if I've ever met many halfling paladins afore."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Dram »

Xanophia Walks up to Halo sticks her hand to shake his. Good day Halo. I am Xanopnia my freinds call me Xano. You may call me Xano. I have worked with a Paladin once before. He was very brave but a little highstrung.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by greyarea »

Trotter, halfling ranger

Trotter gives Halo a traditional halfling greeting: he offers him some pipeweed of the highest quality. 'Tis good to have one next to me to look evil in the eye.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Storm11 »

Halo greets everyone warmly, thanking them all for their hospitality and warm welcome. Brother Thomas, it's good to see a devout member of Lord Pelors flame sister amongst these good folk. I am proud to stand knee to toe with you sir! he says with a wink.

Greeting Trotter happily he returns the typical Halfling greeting with genuine feeling. The chevalier chats about the shire lands a little and gratefully accepts the leaf with thanks. Ahhhh this is good stuff Trotter. It takes me right back home!

To Drez and Xano he bows awkwardly in his armour, and takes the elfs hand and kisses it. lord Dwarf, Lady Xano, a pleasure.Halo winks at Drez hearing his comment. indeed you wouldn't have, for I could possibly be the only one. Pelors will, who can stand in the way of the will of the gods, he says brushing the sun Mark on his brow absently.

To the mayor he thanks him for his time and introduction. Anything else you can tell us about our mission?
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drez looks to the halfling with a large amount of respect. "Well ya surely have the ut most respect from this dwarf Halo." Drez looks to Trotter "Well I shoulda known you'd be the one with the proper greeting old friend." Drez then goes to looking over the supplies and finally looks a bit sad realizing something is missing "Eh? where's the keg of dwarven ale?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Storm11 »

Halo claps the dwarf on the back and thanks him, i appreciate that good Drez he says happily. i am at the mercy of the Lord of light and his flaming sister, as are we all. I am gratified to see a dwarf with your talents, who has turned his unique skills to trap finding. I have come across plenty who have turned their gifts to a more unholy and unjust use. You also have the respect of this Halfling. And to you as well my lady! he says to Xano.

The paladin is also saddened at the lack of dwarf spirits, a favourite tipple of his, though he will only drink the one small glass.

we shall just have to find other ways to fortify ourselves my new dwarven friend. Hopefully Pelors beneficent Rays and Joramys holy flames will keep fire in our bellies and courage in our Breast.

He asks the mayor what we can expect to face on the journey ahead, and if there are any bastions of faith or goodly populations in the area that we may go to or call upon if the need arises. hopefully we will not require it. The gods help those who help themselves after all.

He also wonders how long the journey will take to this village, and who governs over them. Will they be willing to accept our assistance etc.

Let us begin my companions, the soonest begun, the soonest mended eh!
Greys Campaign.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Dram »

Xano walks up to the front wagon. Otto your name is? I will be sitting with you if ya don't mind. Hey boys you gonna kiss each others a** the rest of day or we gonna start heading up these mountains. Lord Duke you got anymore words of wisdom maybe we can stop the tavern on the way out and get Drez a keg of ale Xano smiles and gives Drez a wink.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Thomas sits back in the wagon, surrounded by his own supply of ceramic containers, the smell of oil wafting out of them from under their lids, "The thief maiden is correct, we must move on. Our divine purge awaits." As he speaks he still holds a tone of gruff authority and command, a tone that comes from the battlefields.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by greyarea »

Trotter

Agreed. Let us delay no further.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The DUKE answers the newcomers questions.

The journey to Greenville will take less than 2 days. That means one night on the road, but I'm sure that Otto here has all the provisions and comforts you will need for that.

Again, you will be meeting up with the Clerics of the village to gain any information that they have before setting out higher into the pass. Bernhardt is the head clerics name and you can't miss that one. He is as big as a house.

The Duke ignores any talk about ale as he is sure the adventures are only kidding around about bringing something liquid into a land that is below freezing for half the year. He then looks up at Otto and nods as the wagon departs.

Good luck to you all and remember.....you may still find others willing to help out with this just cause of ours! Do not be afraid to ask them to join up with you. Farewell then!

And so it was that on the 9th day of Autumn in the year of 733 of our lord the king, the five brave adventurers set off to the northern mountain passes.....

The party sets out on its long journey up into the passes of the Cloudscape Mountains, on their way to the farming village known as Greenville. The journey seems slow going at first and, as you travel north, you see less and less signs of civilization. Eventually you stop seeing traffic on the road at all.

Otto mentions that there has not been much incoming trade traffic from the other side of the Cloudscape range for the last few days. He reiterates the fact that he won't be going any further into the mountains than Greenville numerous times throughout the journey and seems like he is genuinely afraid of the stories going around.

Despite the solitude, the scenery along the way is a thing of absolute beauty. The Cloudscape mountains and their surroundings are pristine and the most amazingly gorgeous sight some of you have ever seen. As far as your eyes can see the beauty of the place doesn't fade and it gets even more breathtaking the higher you travel.
image.jpg
image.jpg (17.75 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
The first day of the trip is uneventful and shortly before dark, Otto stops the wagon and sets up camp. Watches that night are also uneventful and after a hearty breakfast the next morning, the group packs up and heads out to find their destination.

About a mile before the village, the wagon rounds a sharp corner and Otto brings the team to a sudden halt. After gaining your balance again, you see what stopped your movement. Walking down the middle of the road is a very strangely attired man. He is of average build but has no hair on his head. He looks to be wearing light blue pajamas and a strange looking mantle. He is carrying a crossbow and a long three bladed weapon of some strange design.

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drez "S'pose that is the man we seek eh?" the dwarf nods in the direction of the man walking in the odd attire. "Bout fits the description don't he?" he openly asks not expecting much of a reply. So he hails the man walking "Ey you! Wanna join us on an adventurer?"

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Dram »

Xano jumps off the cart and gives the traveler a smile.Hello there traveler. Are you out hunting this fine morning or looking for some adventure. I am called Xanophia. And your name is my fine sir.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Storm11 »

Halo will try and get a sense of any evil around the stranger.

He will wave from the back of the wagon, a hand on the massive sword strapped to his back, just incase all is not what it seems.
Greys Campaign.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#17 Post by Scott308 »

The Duke of Kane contacted my monastery for assistance with some troubles in the Cloudscapes, and I was chosen to fulfill that request. I was told there would be a group of adventurers who would be along to accompany me. Be you they? He looks over the party, smiling at them.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by greyarea »

Trotter, halfling

Trotter attempts to strike up a conversation with the paladin. So, I thought a halfling ranger was rare, I've not met nor even heard rumor of one of us a holy avenger. How did you come to this role?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Storm11 »

greyarea wrote:Trotter, halfling

Trotter attempts to strike up a conversation with the paladin. So, I thought a halfling ranger was rare, I've not met nor even heard rumor of one of us a holy avenger. How did you come to this role?
our family have always been worshippers of the sun! And then on a visit to the market on the shire borders I happened to follow a shifty looking long legs into a deserted square whilst pa was selling his wood rafts, and that's where I witnessed him attack a paladin lady watering her steed. He had her down but I ran in and jumped between them, taking the blade meant for her. The assassin fled and the paladin used her powers to heal me before I died. Pelor smiled upon me right there and then and branded me with his symbol even as his power healed my wound. She took me in and taught me all she could. I was only about 12 or so when it happened! I dunno why I ran in between em it just felt right. I was always getting in the way of the bully boys in the shire. Rangers, well I can't say I have ever met another Halfling who was capable of mastering the big folks woodslore either. We must be two of a kind he says succinctly, shrugging and clapping Trotter on the back. Sure glad to have a fellow Halfling on the team!
Greys Campaign.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Thomas sits and listens to the others talking, only offering a brief glance at the new addition to their group.

Return to “Dark Clouds Gather AD&D 1E”