Introduction and Backstory

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Introduction and Backstory

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I came up with a way for you all to be "together" to avoid the dreaded "you all start out in the tavern" intro.

The backstory has little to do with the actual adventure so it's really a bit irrelevant. But, if you want to add your own characters story to it, please do so.
The adventurers find themselves in the Northern regions of Kane. A most inhospitable place indeed, in an area that one wouldn't simply "choose" to go to. Each of you are associated with the Duke of Kane in your own way and now it appears that he is cashing in on some of the favors he is owed. He has summoned your group before him in his meeting room.

The Duke is worried about some of the small towns and villages on his trade routes through the Cloudscape mountains. There have been reports of attacks on trade caravans, with some of them being totally wiped out and some eerily strange weather too. The transport of goods through his realm has nearly stopped completely and he is in desperate need of help.

Duke Kane has assembled the lot of you in hopes that you would be *willing* to assist him by traveling into the mountain passes, investigating it, and ridding him of this problem. He desperately needs to get the trade caravans traveling through the passes again. Many lives depend on it. (not to mention the profits he is losing out on)

Do this for me and I will resolve you of any debt that you have with me. I can transport you as far as the first village. It's called Greenville, but don't let that name fool you. Its cold and snowy half the damn year! It's an old farming village and they still abide by some of the old ways. I know that the place is run by the Clerics of the local church. Bernhardt I believe is the name of the head Cleric. A grotesquely fat man, you can't miss that one. He may have some useful information to help you get started.

The wagon drivers won't go any further than Greenville, and I can't blame them from what I've heard. Well, if there are no questions for me, good luck to you all and may your tasks and your enemies find their end swiftly.

Any questions for the Duke?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Introduction and Backstory

#2 Post by Dram »

Xanphia- Sir Duke, the survivors of the attacks did they state what attacked them.? It would be good to know what we are going up against. So we can prepare. What sort of aid will be able to give us. I am talking about warm clothing, food horses, mules to carry equipment and shelter items.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Thomas speaks up, his tone is rough authoritative. "Frightened rumors and susipicions from men and women scared for their lives. It is better to go there and cleanse that mountain of any creatures that felt the need to spring from their hell-spawned mothers wombs." Thomas clenches his hammer and gives the gathered group a commanding gaze, "We have no need to waste time with talk of things no one here truly knows, there is evil needing to be purged."

He looks at the Duke, "Provide us the basics to get the job done, provisions and mounts. We shall see those mountain passes cleansed through holy fire."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Aaaaaaaaand were off! Most excellent!

Just an FYI:
I don't mind a little pre journey role playing but remember that we won't actually start the adventure until everyone has their characters finished. I will continue to post house rules and make HP threads etc. while we wait as well. No rush though for anyone. We will start when we're ready.
I must say, I do enjoy your enthusiasm Thomas. I wonder if you were nearly as excited the time you burned down half my town that fateful night long ago?

I agree with you about speculative reports so I hesitate to say what I've heard. Let's just say all of the reports contained large birdlike monsters that attacked from the skies. That's all I really know for sure.

The Duke then addresses Xanphia.
As I said little thief, I will provide transport to the beginning of the pass. You are of course, welcome to any complimentary normal supplies that you think you might need to bring along. I will also cover any costs for provisions in the form of iron/mountain rations or any other desired foodstuffs. Just remember, you will be on foot after you get dropped off, so don't take more than you can carry. I have a feeling that where your going to end up, horses would just be more of a burden for you anyway.

I could have a pack mule loaded up with any winter clothing, sleeping tents, and climbing gear you might need that I can think of. You can take that along with you and that way, if you have to set off overland, I'm only out one mule.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drezule "Drez" smirks at Thomas "Eh boisterous as ever Thom." he then looks back to the Duke "While I do share some of Thom's enthusiasm I agree with the fair elf here. Xanphia it is wise of us to know the details before taking on this job. Duke please if you will you know me I like to know what I'm stickin my neck into before I go off to do a job." the dwarf pulls the hood of his cloak off scratches his head a bit finds a chair scrapes the dirt off his boots and takes a seat. "Oh don't take me wrong sir duke. I am in I just need ta know what you know before I go off and work my trade." he the looks to both Thom and Xanphia and winks and smiles through his beard. "Oh and don't think I won't take yah up on that offer I plan ta take what I need either way. It is after all what I do."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

You have some nerve making demands from anyone around here thief, much less the Duke of the Realm. Especially after your botched attempt at rousting the thieves guild that time. You know, I still have the nobles whining in my ear incessantly about the goods your people stole from them over the years.

I know it's "what you do"
the Duke rolls his eyes after saying this but, that don't make it right with some people.

As I said, I have told you what I know already. Do you want to help me out with this or would some of you prefere that my elite guards find you each a nice little room deep in the tower dungeon for you to spend some time instead?

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drezule smiles at the duke "I believe you are forgetting whom hired us for that particular job. I merely do the retrieval someone else claimed it was theirs rightfully then they contacted me. It does appear it was acquired by non-traditional means and I was hired to get it back." the dwarf still smiling puts his boots up on the closest nearby surface "other than the floor" looking quite relaxed.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Dram »

Xanophia laughs a little under her breath. Duke no need to be threatening to my dear friend Drezule. We just want to be prapred for the journey you are sending us on.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drezule confirms Xanophia's statement "Exactly." and he adds a nod of "yes" to emphasize the point.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Thomas leans against the wall, arms folded, and gives a hard and judgmental look at the two thieves and the Duke. "As for the fire I was tasked with rooting out the evil that had infested it's way into the town, all other goals aside from cleansing such filth are secondary."

Thomas then walks over to the table, arms now set at his side, his gives off a very commanding aura as he speaks, "It seems I will not be tasked with purging the mountains until these two get their way. Tell us what you know so that we can be off, I am ready to set my righteous will upon these evil hell-spawn, using my Goddess holy flame to cleanse their wicked souls."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drez looks at Thomas and winks. "Eh well what about Trotter? Late as usual eh?"
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Oops! I should have mentioned that Wyntar won't be there. You will encounter him out in the world somewhere. I think that will also be the case with Scott's character but I will let him explain that himself.

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

edited to say where is trotter. that more in the plot lines OM? Actually who is scott? I know Nuke is coming too but is it really only the 3 of us that know each other at the start? "MW, Dram myself."

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by greyarea »

Trotter, ranger

Trotter trots in, the smell of pipeweed like a halo around him. Forgive my tardiness, but one cannot cut short one's after lunch smoke. Priorities, you know.

Anyway, I was informed of the Duke's needs by the seneschal on the way here. Of course, I will assist in this mission. If my skills may be of service to the Duke, it is yet naught repayment for his treatment of the dales and forests of his domain, which he allows me to roam.

We head to wintry realms then?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Dram »

Xanophia Well met Trotter I am Xanophia and these are my friends Drez and Thomas. Glad you have come. We were just discussing provisions that we will need to make this journey.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Duke Kane

Seeing the Halfling Ranger enter the room, the Dukes voice becomes nasally and annoying.
Oh! Oh! Oh! Well, Helooooooo Mister Trotter! (100 XPs to the first person you actually gets that reference)

Finally someone arrives that I don't actually despise, even a little bit. How are you my good Ranger and what news from the west?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Dram »

Good Ol boy Toby??
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by greyarea »

Trotter

Trotter smiles at the Duke, Hello Arnold, I mean Duke. The west is still secure. We had a owlbear issue for a while but got that under control, and there were flailsnails that destroyed crops in the Western Reach. We found the root cause and killed the infestation.

You seneschal tells me that the troubles are more North, in the Cloudscape. I take it that is what brings us here now?

I'd say that's the Welcome Back Trotter Kotter reference you meant. ;)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nice!
I really didn't think anyone would get that one. Man I used to love that show! You must be old like me? :lol:

Take your meaningless 100 XPs. :P
Well played sir!
Duke Kane

Well that is most excellent news my short friend! I am very glad to have you at my service. I trust you brought your old friend a bit of leaf? Gods know I could use a smoke right about now.

Yes, there is trouble in the Cloudscape passes. I'm happy you've come to help.
He looks towards the two thieves. Perhaps you can keep some of these others in line? I presume you all remember one another?

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drez nods to Trotter as he enters. "Glad you could join us, old friend." Drex then takes his feet off the (table, chair arm or w/e surface it was?) strokes his beard a bit then stands up walks to the ranger and gives him a hearty slap on the shoulder "Bet you hoped you'd never see me again eh?" and he chuckles heartily after.
I still have no idea what you are referencing. Glad to see somebody does.

Return to “Dark Clouds Gather AD&D 1E”