IC XV

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

Re: IC XV

#441 Post by Atlictoatl »

I was wondering about that, having been under the impression previously that it was one ur-orc at a time in the 10' corridor.

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#442 Post by Atlictoatl »

Tev Meren

Tev digs in and works in tandem with Severi to chop their opponents down.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#443 Post by thirdkingdom »

Round Ten

As those in the back ranks gleefully set about killing the slumbering beetles Tev deals his opponent a devastating blow that, although it fails to kill him, sends blood and gore spraying about. Vanco against calls on his patrons, and all but one of the remaining ur-orcs stop in their tracks, stiff as statues. The one mobile creature is in the back, behind the frozen two, and is unable to little but howl and stomp about for the moment.
The two in the front rank are currently Held and alive, and for the moment are blocking the remaining ur-orc's access to the party.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#444 Post by Wyzard »

Severi slaughters his way to the single still-living opponent.

phil285
Tracker
Tracker

#445 Post by phil285 »

Vanco tries to see a way forward to attack along with Severi.
Although he probably can't with the current party order.
Edit for clarification of intent.

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#446 Post by MonsterMash »

Thurgan, Dwarf

Hearing that the ur-orcs are held Thurgan makes his way forward to see if he can help slay them.

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#447 Post by Atlictoatl »

Tev Meren, Fighter

Tev, single-minded in the bloody work of dispatching their foes, misses an opportunity to gameify the butchery like something from a popular regional fiction depicting the exploits of an elf and dwarf rival duo.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#448 Post by thirdkingdom »

Rounds Eleven through Thirteen

Severi and Tev cut down the frozen ur-orcs blocking the way and leap forward to do battle with the remaining creature, Vanco close on their heels. Try as they might, their remaining foe is canny and skilled with his heavy blade, and they are unable to do any serious damage to it. The ur-orc smashes his blade into what it can only assume to be Severi and roars in triumph, only to look extremely puzzled as the elven form melts away. The ur-orc continues to lay about with his blade, roaring an inchoate battlecry, and delivers a ringing blow to Vanco, as well.

Her spells exhausted, Semele does her best to treat Rhys and Thurgan. She bandages Rhys successfully, but is unable to staunch Thurgan's wounds; perhaps she did not tend to the doughty dwarf in time, or his physiognomy is significantly different from that of a human that she has trouble treating him. The din from the battle is loud enough, and the chaos so overwhelming, that none in the back ranks except of Rhys take notice of another cluster of phlegmatic beetles that emerge from the guardroom door, about fifteen feet away. The mystic notes there are five of them.
Rhys regains 3 hp, Semele failed in her roll to treat Thurgan. Severi takes 7 damage, Vanco take 6. Everyone in the back rank is surprise for Round 14, except for Rhys. Please note there is time in there for other actions to be taken; I have assumed that Bruno laid down a layer of oil as instructed by Severi in previous rounds, but am not sure who has a flame source. Also, if anyone wants to retcon other actions (note that Semele is out of 1st level spells) such as drinking a potion or whatever, let me know.
Last edited by thirdkingdom on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#449 Post by Wyzard »

Severi yells for someone to get Bruno a torch.
I don't think Severi would actually take the damage, due to Mirror Image. Bruno lost his shield, IIRC, so there's no reason someone can't give him a torch.

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#450 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Quint Kacie
"It's time to be on our way - staying here seems a rather unattractive option now!"
Quint pulls a torch from his pack and lights it with a Firefinger cantrip, then touches it to the pooled oil to act as a barrier to the beetles.
"I'm all but out of spells now, and those spitters will be trouble."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#452 Post by Alethan »

Rhys

Rhys readies his two flasks of oil. When it looks like it is going to start to burn down, he'll add a flask to the fire to keep the beetles at bay.

"I've only got the two flasks of oil; there's no way I can hold these things off after that!"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

phil285
Tracker
Tracker

#453 Post by phil285 »

Vanco Basou
Vanco readies his last spare flask of oil. "If we can burn through these creatures, I think we should flee promptly."

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#454 Post by thirdkingdom »

Round Fourteen

Tev manages one more minor cut againts the unnatural ur-orc, but the great monster refuses to lie down and die. On the positive side, it is unable to connect with any of the adventurers. In the rear ranks, only Rhys is able to act as the beetles appear, and he grabs two more flasks of oil from his pack whilst the others watch, utterly surprised by the abrupt appearance of the chitinous creatures. They rear back on their hind legs and spit gobs of the greyish goo; one each hits Bruno, Quint, Semele and Rhys. While the spittle does no damage, it begins to harden almost immediately, hindering movement.
Okay, everyone can act in Round Fifteen. Look's like Quint's going to throw the torch, so Bruno can act as desired. Those hit by gobs of spittle have their move reduced by 5 and suffer a -1 penalty to hit. This is cumulative, and those whose Move is reduced to 0 can no longer act.

phil285
Tracker
Tracker

#455 Post by phil285 »

Vanco tries to join in lobbing a flask of oil, then looks to see if he can recall anything about such goo and how it might be removed.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#456 Post by Alethan »

phil285 wrote:Vanco tries to join in lobbing a flask of oil, then looks to see if he can recall anything about such goo and how it might be removed.
Alcohol, which is why Quint and Rhys each have three skins of strong wine with them. Did anyone else bring anything similar? Unfortunately, I think we'll have to take a round to apply it to the goo and we're still under attack from both sides...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#457 Post by thirdkingdom »

Rounds Fifteen through Sixteen

Vanco swings his mace in a mighty arc and delivers a blow that brings the remaining ur-orc to its knees. Tev is able to finish the beast off, gutting it with a savage stab of his sword. In the back ranks, Bruno tosses a torch that sets the oily beetles alight. As they sizzle and burn, the creatures scuttle out of the flames. Rhys spits one with his blade, and Semele and Thurgan are able to squash another. The flames disorient the beetles to the extent that although they skitter about, mandibles clashing, the adventurers are able to avoid their attacks.

With the last ur-orc dead, the companions are able to bring their collective firepower to bear on the remaining three beetles, crushing them within moments.

As the din from the battle ebbs, the adventurers become aware of a sound off in the distance, coming from the far end of the Hall of Columns. It is a disturbing, squelching sound, like some amorphous sack of liquid being forced through an opening much too small for it. A shrill warbling accompanies the sloshing.
Holy shit but that took a while. I've got some comments to make on the weapon mastery, which I will do OOC.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#458 Post by Wyzard »

Severi the Silvertongued

"While I have enjoyed our time here, I think we might consider a retreat before we fight...whatever is producing that sound. Tomorrow is another day."

phil285
Tracker
Tracker

#459 Post by phil285 »

Vanco Basou
"I say we leave as fast as we can. Are there still some sacks of gold to collect? Or should we abandon them rather than be caught by whatever we have awakened behind us?"

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#460 Post by Wyzard »

"There's a ton of gold, but it's quite a ways from here. We should know by then if we're being pursued."

Return to “In Search of Adventure”