Sortie 1: The Cave of the Bree-Yarks

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

Sortie 1: The Cave of the Bree-Yarks

#1 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Just beyond the cave mouth is a dark room, which appears empty of the living. The room smells somewhat of burned wood and rotting goblin shit.

The central feature of the room appears to be a makeshift barricade made of broken and partly burned wagons, bound together haphazardly with rope. The ramshackle barricade looks ready to collapse at any moment, especially if any brainless creature were to wander directly into it.

Throughout the room, the goblins have set up simple noisemakers consisting of metal pieces hung on string from wooden rods wedged into the crude ceiling. These are suspended in irregular numbers and at various heights around the room so that anyone taking a direct walking path to the barricade will cause the hanging metal pieces to ring loudly against each other. Going around the perimeter of the room would allow someone to avoid the metal noisemakers quite easily.

Every now and again, shifting wind and air causes the makeshift metal chimes to ring against each other. The noise does not seem to elicit a in reaction from the creatures who live further within the cave. The sound of goblins quarreling can still be heard from beyond the barricade.

Looking around the outside of the room, on this side of the barricade, the party sees a ragged piece of cloth along the wall to the left of the cave mouth entrance. Somewhat hidden behind the flimsy cloth is a short hallway. At the end of the hallway sits a stout wooden chest.

On the far side of the barricade, on the opposite side of the room from the cave mouth, is another passage leading deeper into the side of the ravine. That far side passage echoes with the sound of yipping and grunting goblins.

GM voice: Okay, we're going to need dice real soon. I'll try to get the dice roller thing working. I also need to shore up a character sheet or two before we really start banging dice, but I'm wiped out right now.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Sortie 1: The Cave of the Bree-Yarks

#2 Post by sulldawga »

Marodin

(whispering to the others) Now I know that Goblins aren't the brightest but really? Who would leave their treasure chest at the entrance to their lair, completely unguarded? That reeks of a trap.

Does it look like the chest was recently dragged into the side room? I guess it's possible the chest was loot from the latest raid and the goblins have temporarily stored it there...

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horris nods and agrees "Aye. I was just thinkin the same. Reeks of a trap."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Q.Q Elf »

sulldawga wrote:Does it look like the chest was recently dragged into the side room? I guess it's possible the chest was loot from the latest raid and the goblins have temporarily stored it there...
GM Voice: Since Marodin has Pathfinder 3 and Horris has Dungeoneer 3/Scout 2, I'm not going to diddle with dice or anything. There is no sign the chest was recently dragged into the side room. Skid marks from things being dragged through the shit field do not appear to go towards the chest. They only go around towards the partially barricaded passage.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Keehnelf »

Do these wagons appear to be a recent addition? I'm thinking mostly of the burning on the wood and the like--are those recent developments for these items, or do they look like they were burned a while back and possibly have been sitting here for some time?

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Keehnelf wrote:Do these wagons appear to be a recent addition? I'm thinking mostly of the burning on the wood and the like--are those recent developments for these items, or do they look like they were burned a while back and possibly have been sitting here for some time?
GM Voice: The burned bits look like burned bits. ;) The location of the newer burned-up patches are in places near where a torch may be shoved into a gap in the barricade so that a goblin on watch duty in this room would not have to hold a stupid torch for an entire evening.

Most of the older, more scuffed-looking burns are coupled with gouge marks in the midst of the burn marks... as if someone took the time to remove flaming pointy-headed things that were driven into the wood at a high rate of speed.

With Lore Master 3/Scholar 2 (again, Saying Yes), the wagon parts come from a mixture of styles of wagon manufacture. The woods used are not necessarily of similar origin (by grain, texture, smell). Some of the parts of the barricade seem positively ancient by comparison to the top-most layer of broken wagon bits.

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hmm not having a thief of any kind, sort of makes this interesting...... shall I seek further examinations of the chest? Perhaps attempt to open it?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Keehnelf »

Erinas Leafsinger

"I'm reluctant to approach the chest at present with goblins nearby, no matter how distracted they might seem. If we're able to eliminate the threat they pose, perhaps we can take a closer look at it and see if we may examine its contents safely. As things stand, we have not the luxury of time to do so."

She pulls out her dagger, wielding it in her main hand while she brandishes the torch in the other, providing light to Marodin and dim light to the others.

"Let us proceed cautiously down this hall, and perhaps catch the goblins by surprise. If they are at odds with one another, we may be able to divide and conquer, or drive some of them off easily. If nothing else, if their number is large perhaps we can divide them even further..."

Does anyone else have Persuader or Manipulator? Preferably at skill level 3.

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

No and no on the skill question.

Horris with axe still in hand nods listening to the elf. "Aye, save the chest for later. Lets deal with some smelly goblins shall we?" preparing for the battle Horris gets himself mentally prepared for the fight.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by sulldawga »

Marodin agrees with the decision to proceed. That chest is perfectly placed to provide us treasure on our way out, once we've dealt with the lawbreakers within.

Marodin has Orator 4

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by sulldawga »

Q.Q Elf wrote:Since Marodin has Pathfinder 3 and Horris has Dungeoneer 3/Scout 2, I'm not going to diddle with dice or anything.
Aren't you denying us chances to earn pass/fails? Or are you just granting us the auto pass? That Pathfinder 3 ain't getting to Pathfinder 4 by itself.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Q.Q Elf »

sulldawga wrote:
Q.Q Elf wrote:Since Marodin has Pathfinder 3 and Horris has Dungeoneer 3/Scout 2, I'm not going to diddle with dice or anything.
Aren't you denying us chances to earn pass/fails? Or are you just granting us the auto pass? That Pathfinder 3 ain't getting to Pathfinder 4 by itself.
Ha! I'm Saying Yes while I'm trying to nail down the last bits on everyone's character sheet. I'll find ways to screw you guys, err, hand out rolls later. ;)

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Skirting around the room and the ramshackle barricade, the group enters a hewn tunnel leading further into the side of the ravine. There was likely a natural cave extending through here, but whomever lives in this burrow has done extensive work.

The smooth-sided tunnel opens out into a twenty-foot by thirty-foot room, dimly lit with candles. A chalk line has been drawn down the middle of the room.

Against the near wall (to the right of the entrance to this room) is an open-topped barrel with several crude mugs on a small wooden table nearby.

Another barrel, against the far left wall, has a bunch of what look like broom handles sticking up out of it.

Across the chalk mark, five goblins are pulling on a rope... with three on one side, and the larger two on the other. They are focused on their game of tug-of-war, grunting and yipping all the while.

A sixth goblin leans negligently against the far wall, watching his comrades in their tug-of-war contest. When the goblin looks up, and sees Marodin enter (followed by the rest of the party), it does an immediate spit take (all over one of the larger goblins) as he drops his mug to the floor. The surprised goblin snatches up a nearby spear, and shouts, "BREE YARK!"

There is another passage that leads out of the far side of the room (the wall that the drinking goblin was leaning on). Forgot to mention that. Some of the smaller goblins take a peek towards that passage, looking for the best way out of the room.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by sulldawga »

Marodin steps forward, his sword still pointed downward in one hand. Being Goblin-wise, he speaks the language.

Greetings noble dwellers of deep caverns, can you help us?

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horris battle axe ready awaits the reaction of the goblin to the paladin's words.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Q.Q Elf »

sulldawga wrote:Marodin steps forward, his sword still pointed downward in one hand. Being Goblin-wise, he speaks the language.

Greetings noble dwellers of deep caverns, can you help us?
The drinking/spitting Goblin says (replying in Goblin), "Manlings! You speak! And you don't stink of death! Why you here? This our cave! We leave your treasure outside! Where you come in!"

The other Goblins start to slowly move towards the barrel of broom sticks.

(All of the Goblins are dressed in motley leather armor, obviously scavenged. Each one has a knife stuck into their crude rope belts. Only the spitter has a spear in his hand.)

GM voice: Are we working towards a Convince conflict?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Keehnelf »

Definitely, given that response. I think these guys have a deal with some humans/humanoids elsewhere in the caves, death cultists or necromancers or something of the sort. Perhaps we can pass ourselves off as part of this group and get some more info.

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I agree it makes sense despite my dwarf enemies goblins. I say they appear to be semi-intelligent perhaps see where this goes.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by sulldawga »

Despite the fact that cannon have yet to be invented, I think we should use these guys as cannon fodder. Let's convince them they're being tricked by their allies and see if they'll help us set up an ambush when their former allies come by to pick up the treasure. Whoever lives is weak enough for us to kill/capture.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Keehnelf »

I think we're probably safer right now trying to convince them we are their current allies rather than convincing them to fight the other guys--fewer enemies to deal with, more likely to get information.

Return to “Torchbearer: Return to the Keep on the Borderlands”