Game Longevity

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Game Longevity

#21 Post by dmw71 »

Whether or not anyone actually ends up using a kit or not, it shouldn't change the fact that the game, while 2E, should feel very similar. As I said to one of you in a private forum:
dmw71 wrote:"I'd like to keep things simple. Or, maybe more accurately, keep things familiar."
The mechanics may change from edition to edition, but the game play itself will hopefully feel very comfortable to everyone.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote: ... I will likely use the updated racial levels from the "Skills and Powers" book, though:

Player's Option: Skills and Powers > Chapter 3: Racial Requirements > Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Halflings, Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, Half-Ogres (maybe?), Humans
Player's Option: Skills and Powers > Chapter 3: Racial Requirements > Table 16: Racial Level Limits
Table 16: Racial Level Limits
  • Class Dwarf Elf Gnome Half-elf Half-orc Half-ogre Halfling Human
    Bard — — — U — — — U
    Cleric 10 12 9 14 4 4 8 U
    Druid — — — 9 — — — U
    Fighter 15 12 11 14 10 12 9 U
    Illusionist — — 15 — — — — U
    Mage — 15 — 12 — — — U
    Paladin — — — — — — — U
    Ranger — 15 — 16 — — — U
    Thief 12 12 13 12 8 — 15 U

I cant figure out how to keep the formatting on charts. But, what is the thought behind the newer limit preference? It seems with such high levels, it practically eliminates the restriction. An Elf fighter/MU could be level 12/15 using this (+a couple levels for high ability scores) , where in 1e/Osric, they could only be 7/11 if they had 18 Str and Int.

My suggestion is to be VERY Judicial as to what you start picking and choosing to include. This particular option/ruling throws the balance greatly toward the demi's, unless there is some other option that swings it back toward humans.
thoughts?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:But, what is the thought behind the newer limit preference?
My suggestion is to be VERY Judicial as to what you start picking and choosing to include.
Actually, the racial level limits listed in the Player's Option book are the same as those in the Dungeon Master Guide. The Player's Option book just includes the racial level limits for half-orcs and half-ogres, which, while I'm not sure I'm going to allow either of those races, I figured I'd include, just in case. Considering that table doesn't change for the "normal" races, I figured there was no harm.

I'm not overly concerned about it. The goal is to have fun. If a player would normally play a human, but changes their mind and elects to play a demihuman instead because of the inflated level limits, I guess that's their choice.

Personally, I consider that sort of decision as being in the same vein as min/maxing. Yes, everyone wants to have a good character, but I will always maintain that a player should play what they want, not necessarily what will always give them the most benefit.

Bottom line, though, I'm still very much re-familiarizing myself with the 2E rules and will be working on a new set of house rules. Players are welcome to start/continue working on their characters, but do know that there may be changes necessary as I formalize what house rules will be used.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Starbeard »

Sorry I'm late to the discussion, everyone.

In reality, though, I'd just mimic the general consensus about 2e. I'm 100% for it, although I've only played a couple of sessions of it about 15 years ago (although conceptually I think I get most of the gist regarding things like kits and such). To that end, it doesn't really matter to me which books/rules are or aren't included, since either way I'll probably gravitate toward the cleanest and simplest character creation choices so that I learn the system.

I've also completed most of my OSRIC character, would it be easiest to archive him and create a new one using Purple Worm?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by Alethan »

It depends on what you're building (I don't want to know).

It is pretty much going to be BTB with the 2e rules, so probably no casting in leather. Not sure about his finesse rule (though I wouldn't complain if he kept it). There might be other house rules you were counting on for your build that might not be in effect anymore.

So you might consider reading through the 2e class info before making that decision.

For example, I completely revamped my character because of the change, not that it was a big deal. I think I ended up with a better build because of it.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by dmw71 »

Starbeard wrote:I've also completed most of my OSRIC character, would it be easiest to archive him and create a new one using Purple Worm?
You're welcome to convert your character from 1E/OSRIC to 2E or start from scratch. Totally your call.

Do keep in mind -- and this actually applies to everyone -- that I'm going to seriously minimize the number of house rules I implement and will try to run this as close to by the book as possible. For the most part, I will be examining the rules listed as "optional" in the rulebook and deciding whether or not it will be included. A few true house rules I am thinking of keeping are the limits on defensive adjustments when wearing heavier armors and finesse weapons. I will probably also keep around a modified version of my 'alive until' amount since, by the book:
Chapter 9: Combat > Character Death > [b]Character Death[/b] wrote:"When a character reaches 0 hit points, that character is slain."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Starbeard »

Yeah, looking over the PHB over at Purple Worm, it seems like all I really have to do is switch out the 1e ability tables for the 2e ability tables and everything's golden. Well, and ruminate for hours over the equipment list.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by hedgeknight »

Haven't really thought about what I'm going to play yet > waiting on my private forum to be set up and then I'll roll the dice and see what I have to work with. I sorta have an idea of what I'd like to play, but the rolls will determine my exact character.

Just happy to be on board! :mrgreen:
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by dmw71 »

hedgeknight wrote:Just happy to be on board!
Glad to have you, man.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
hedgeknight wrote:Just happy to be on board!
Glad to have you, man.
Ditto!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by AleBelly »

Alright. Looks like all I need to do is pick my proficiencies and secondary skills. I've already fleshed out my character's background story, so I'll pick those to match.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by dmw71 »

AleBelly wrote:Alright. Looks like all I need to do is pick my proficiencies and secondary skills. I've already fleshed out my character's background story, so I'll pick those to match.
I'm in my car on my phone, but just wanted to let you know that we're using the non-weapon proficiencies, not secondary skills.

I did start to update the house rules document, including this subject, but it's still a work in progress.

viewtopic.php?f=152&t=3258
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by Alethan »

Oh! Guess I need to do proficiencies, too, then. Forgot about that. Other than that, I believe my Centicorn* Ranger is ready.

*ummm... half human, half unicorn? Kind of like a centaur, only the gal has a horn sticking out of her forehead.

Actually, that's kind of a cool idea. Might have to write that up for & magazine. I guess they should be female, LG, and have pure white hair? And a propensity for eating oats...

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by AleBelly »

dmw71 wrote:
AleBelly wrote:Alright. Looks like all I need to do is pick my proficiencies and secondary skills. I've already fleshed out my character's background story, so I'll pick those to match.
I'm in my car on my phone, but just wanted to let you know that we're using the non-weapon proficiencies, not secondary skills.

I did start to update the house rules document, including this subject, but it's still a work in progress.

viewtopic.php?f=152&t=3258
Roger that on secondary skills.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Starbeard »

Alethan wrote:Oh! Guess I need to do proficiencies, too, then. Forgot about that. Other than that, I believe my Centicorn* Ranger is ready.

*ummm... half human, half unicorn? Kind of like a centaur, only the gal has a horn sticking out of her forehead.

Actually, that's kind of a cool idea. Might have to write that up for & magazine. I guess they should be female, LG, and have pure white hair? And a propensity for eating oats...
Would there be a difference between a Centicorn and a Unitaur? Maybe it depends on which race the mother is.

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”