Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

The Merchant of Braavos (G2 Prologue)

#1 Post by Magnus »

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 11
Time: 9:15
Weather: 50 degrees, Light Rain

And so it was that the heroes reached the Fist the prior afternoon. Even through the thick rain, the party was left stunned - and relieved - to see flying over the Fist the silver head of a direwolf unfurled on a huge banner of House Stark! As they grew closer, they saw that the force stationed at the Fist was more than doubled! And with Stark troops and armaments, no less!

The heroes were rushed to their tent and treated by the Maesters of the Watch and the Starks - the most gravely wounded received the most attention. All of them fell into a deep sleep, and did not wake until morning. The attack did not come...they party had broken it.

All party members are at the greater of half their HP (round up) or their last HP count +5

The party rose and broke fast. Ethan was rushed into an audience with the Jon-Erik Stark, the king's slightly younger brother - a man of adventure and learning who certainly needed no introduction. The Lord Commander visited as well and informed them that ravens had been dispatched The party had scored a major victory, he said in gruff compliment, and the next move would be north, through the Skirling Pass - to the edge of the Lands of Always Winter.

With rushed, excited tones, a young man of the Watch burst into the tent -- "They are here...the Merchant is here!!!"

The party had many questions, and some answers, but Braavos would not wait. The party had this opportunity to buy and trade items to help with their quest - items perhaps, that were unavailable anywhere else. They had a few minutes to catch their breath and think through what they wanted and what would put on the table....

Few things:

1. The Merchant of Braavos is a small, well-protected traveling caravan that deals in "the unusual". There are a various mix of mages, seers, alchemists, priests, and mercenaries that accompany the caravan. Spell casting, spell trade/purchase, scrolls, potions, and a varying selection of magic items are available. They buy magic, and sometimes gems and jewelry as well. The Braavosi are shrewd negotiators who care much more about profit than saving the world.

2. Braavos: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Braavos

3. XP to be awarded. Not sure if anyone is going to level...

4. Vor - I am going to simply leave you at your current level and XP count reflected on your sheet. But you can't take the next award of experience points. #kindlydm

5. I recommend that the party lay out below what cash and currency they can spend, and what jewelry and items they can trade. You might also think about your needs and wants. Is pooling stuff for one kick-ass item (and a selection of potions, scrolls, etc.) better than getting something each? Again, you know the next stop is an icy cold environment. Most potions, many spells, and a widely changing selection of items is available. Could be some unique offerings as well.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: The Merchant of Braavos (G2 Prologue)

#2 Post by Cwreando »

Lorath says, "I would like to trade my armor towards a ring of protection +3 and Cloak of Protection +3 or Bracers and cloak/ring set at an even exchange. I'm too encumbered to be effective. I'll put in my list of desirable items but I'm not opposed to supporting others if it benefits the whole party more than taking individual stuff."

Dropping the Splintmail +2 and getting bracers puts me at 67 total encumbrance. With no armor that might give me a bonus and keep me at 120 but worse case it would be 90. I am not sure how critical warmth will be just using warmer clothing if rings of warmth would be necessary. They'd be nice to have though but it cuts into the budget a bit. I am using a 2e DMG for costs but if there is a 1e DMG I can access that you are using and I can get access to it that would be great. With the ring of regeneration I don't think I'll need any healing potions for myself. In 40 rnds I can be at full HP. I'm not sure if sharing the ring is allowed by the DM to facilitate party healing?

Another Bag of holding might come in handy
Ring of Warmth
Girdle of Giant Strength combined with Strength bow +2 - I don't know if the one I have is a strength bow.
Magical Arrows +1 or +2
Arrows of slaying, Fireball, force, Cold, electricity, slay undead etc assuming they are obtainable in game.
Robe of the archmagi
Wand of Fire
Scarab of protection
Ring of free action
Ring of wizardry
Ring of three wishes
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zhym »

I'm not sure if our OOC shopping discussions should be here or elsewhere, and if they should be spoilered if here.

The OSRIC A5 PDF includes prices for magic items.

<Accounting mode on>

Magic armor is non-encumbering, so the +2 splint mail shouldn't be an issue, should it? Splint +2 for +6 in magical protection wouldn't usually be an even trade. +2 splint mail is worth 8,000. Bracers of armor: 1,000 for +1, 4,000 for +2, 9,000 for +3, 16,000 for +4. Ring of protection +3: 18,000. Cloak of protection: not listed in OSRIC, oddly enough (that I can find), but in AD&D1e is 10,000 per +1 of protection. The cheapest combination that adds up to +6, Bracers +4 and ROP +2, is 24,000 per OSRIC.

Here are prices for the other items on your list, from the OSRIC PDF:

Another Bag of holding (7,400 for another one w/ 10,000 capacity)
Ring of Warmth (5,000)
Girdle of Giant Strength combined with Strength bow +2 - I don't know if the one I have is a strength bow.
Magical Arrows +1 or +2 (2,000 or 8,000, I presume for a quiver full)
Arrows of slaying (2,500 - surprisingly cheap! But I would guess not available. Worth checking on that, though.)
Robe of the archmagi (75,000)
Wand of Fire (25,000)
Scarab of protection (38,000)
Ring of free action (5,000)
Ring of wizardry (50,000)
Ring of three wishes (15,000)

That's, uh, quite an expensive shopping list. :shock: :D

As for the rings of warmth, I think we're going to need some way to stay warm. Maybe long underwear and heavy coats will be enough in the Land of Always Winter. I don't know. Rings of warmth do have the extra advantage of protection against cold damage, which I wouldn't be surprised to encounter in the home of frost giants.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin is thankful to be alive. When the shards of metal from the Messenger's attack hit him he thought that it was the end of his time on Westeros. He was surprised to wake up and surprised that the group made it back to the Fist.

The idea that they would be heading back into the fight and in the frozen North was not one that Vorsyin was pleased with. Surely after the defeat of the Messenger they deserved some sort of rest? Vorsyin groaned slightly as the aches in his body reminded him of the cost of battling a dangerous foe.

At the mention of the Braavosi merchant Vorsyin's first thought turned to seeking out some form of protection for the future.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys considers the Messenger's armor. "Do any of you have the means to determine the nature of this armor?" he asks Vorsyin and Lorath. If not, perhaps the merchants could do so for a fee?

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin considers Gaery's question. I have the skill to identify its properties, if magical. Alas I lack the materials, namely a fine quality pearl which is consumed in the process. We could attempt to purchase one if available but then I would need the time to study the armor.
Last edited by Computer +1 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Zhym »

"Hopefully the merchant will have the materials you need," answers Gaerys. "Though I do not know if the merchant will be here long enough for us to buy the materials, identify the armor, then sell or trade it, if that's what we would choose to do."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Is Rommel aka ME here? :shock:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Magnus »

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 11
Time: 9:30
As the party amasses its treasure and discusses load-out for the Rift, Ethan returns to the party's tent. Standing next to him is a knight clad in all black armor. Despite the foreboding shade of his dress, the man radiates a certain intangible goodness and trust.

Ethan sighs and explains:

"Brothers, I have been informed that House Greyjoy has taken these troubles beyond the Wall as an opportunity to mount an aggressive campaign of raids in my lands. By order of the King in the North, I must return to my manor at Flint's Finger and lead the defense of those raids.

I hope you all understand that I simply have no choice but to defend my homeland...it has been an honor to serve with you all, and I may return to our battle if I am able to quash the troubles in the Rills.

You should also know that Lord Jon-Erik has taken command from the Lord Commander, and intends to PERSONALLY hold the Fist until such time as the War with the giants is won. He will address his strategy in detail, but know now that he wishes to send the group to the stronghold of the frost giants, so as to break that force and hopefully obtain more information regarding the forces and motivations underlying the giant attacks.

Much as I regret to depart, I will leave Marcus in the service of Hollis and Lord (Jon-Erik) Stark. My squire has grown quickly as a warrior in his time with us, and will serve as a capable spearman.

Lord Stark has also brought this paladin, the Black Knight, to join your fight against the giants.

I must depart immediately. Fare thee well. May the Gods, old and new, smile upon us in battle.

Notes:

- Identification of magical items and re-charging of wands, etc. is certainly available.
- Ethan is taking all of his stuff (duh) except the flameblade and spear, which he is giving to Marcus.
- Frost Axe +1 is up for party use/sale. (Seems a no-brainer to sell it)
- I will update Marcus's sheet.
- You're in, greywolf!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

"We have had more than our share of differences," Gaerys tells Ethan, "but I am sorry to see you go. Still, a lord should defend his domain first and foremost. Good luck."

The ranger can't help but smirk at the sight of the black knight. "You'll fit right in," he says. "Are you taking the black, or did you already have it?"

To the group at large: "Let's go see these merchants and find what they have to sell."
Last edited by Zhym on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Magnus »

W/R/T the cold - there are two layers of "normal" gear:

1. Cool weather gear would protect the party from the cold so long as they were moving, and is non-encumbering

2. Cold weather gear protects the party from cold (but not cold-based attacks) in all circumstances but is heavily encumbering and may cause dex penalties, etc.

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rommel (The Black Knight)
EDIT: per sound advice.
Looks to the ranger looking fellow "I don't quite get your jest sir. But I do so hope to fit in." he pauses scratches his beard "I hope to be of good fit for your fellowship. If you need me my sword will be at the ready." he then proceeds to march behind the ranger looking fellow.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Cwreando »

"Ethan, I appreciate your assistance in saving me. We will miss your skills in the coming days. Long life my friend. To the others- I do not have the spell to identify things I'm afraid. Perhaps I might be able to update my spells with the merchants or any other mages in our group, as well as barter for necessary gear. Might I suggest someone with the gift of gab and looks be our spokesperson", suggests Lorath?
Last edited by Cwreando on Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rommel looks hurt "Well I think the ranger there or myself would have better luck."

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin looks over the new party member before answering. I speak Braavosi. I can speak with the merchants if you all like.

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rommel "Ah well yes that would make sense. If that does not work then send in a charmer." ;)

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Computer +1 »

If no one objects, Vorsyin will walk over the merchant and speak to him in Braavosi Greetings Friend and Neighbor. We both are far from home in this cold frozen place. I am Vorsyin Qoherys, Mage of Valeryia and now Sworn Brother of the Night's Watch. My companions and I seek to browse your wares and offer goods and treasures of our own in exchange for them. Can we do business together?

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Magnus »

Vorsyin saunters confidently into the billowing purple tent. The ceiling soars high, supported by a single teak pole. Four guards dressed in ornate bronze armor watch the doorway.

The tent is filled with austere, elegant furnishings, including a long mahogany case. Vorsyin quickly spots a mace made of an eye catching, gleaming metal; a gnarled wooden staff; and a very fine set of plate armor hanging from the wall. The Mage also sees a wall of potions to his right, and a wall of scrolls and books to his left. Numerous trunks and chests fill out the furnishings.

A thin man in expensive but modestly styled merchant's clothes stands behind the case. He smiles broadly when he hears the language of his homeland. He responds in kind:

"Of course we would be pleased to do business with a Mage of your learning. What do you seek to purchase? What treasures do you have to trade?"

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rommel "The Black Knight"
marches up to the purple tent but remains outside of it. Standing like a post. On his guard. Acting the part of a guard to the T.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin smiles broadly. Excellent! And I;m sorry but what is your name my friend? he asks while extending his hand.

(Continuing on after the further introduction, if it happens)

Allow me to show you the first of the collected spoils from our trip. He hefts up the Frost Axe and gently passes it over. As we discovered this axe contains magical properties. Namely the exquisite workmanship imbued it with a cold energy. Upon striking it inflicts a cold based damage. It is a remarkable technical work that alas for our current situation is a bit redundant. In the frozen North too many of the enemies we face already have either natural or magical defense against the cold otherwise I would say it would be too dear to part with at all. HE pauses for a moment before continuing, Now if a weapon like this is a bit redundant here I could only imagine the kind of price it would fetch further South where enemies are not as resistant to the cold...

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”