Agrom Alone I

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Agrom Alone I

#41 Post by sulldawga »

Wouldn't it be Fighter 4d + Sword 1d + Sick -1d?

And wouldn't the Shaman get -1d for being unarmed in a martial conflict?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Keehnelf »

Right, sorry about forgetting the sword, I can only beg off for early-morning brain :)

And he's not unarmed--he's using his natural weapon Nimble Feet (which only works in Flee and Capture conflicts for this guy, FYI. If it were a Kill conflict, he'd currently be considered unarmed).

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom goes from conscious thought to pure instinct. His eyes are watching the kobold's crafty footwork while also scanning the ground for obstacles. He knows the shaman is hemmed in by the hole in the floor and is limited in his reactions. Plus the fighter has a massive size advantage.

Agrom stabs out with his sword, an attack he knows will miss but gives him room to slide up and force the kobold back on his heels. He's set himself up nicely for the next part of his capture plan.
Three successes plus 1s for Order of Might advantage. Agrom will Impede and Gain Position.

Shaman Capture conflict Maneuver [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 4
EDIT: Actually, if I have four successes, can I Impede and Disarm? If so, can I edit this to reflect that?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Keehnelf »

Yep, you can Disarm--he only has Nimble Feet, but that will reduce him by two dice for any Maneuver he tries later in the fight and leaving him unarmed for everything else!

---

The Kobold backpedals down the rough slope of rubble, dangerously close to the edge of the pit in which the unknown creature was previously spotted. Agrom follows, trying to push harder and faster than the kobold can adjust, keeping him off balance in the hope of cornering him or forcing a surrender.

---

Kobold scripted Attack vs. Agrom's Defend

Agrom gets Hunter 3D for his defend action, -1D for sick, +2D for his shield, vs. the Kobold's success +1 (Ob for Dim light), +1s if he ties or comes out on top. So that's 4D.

The Kobold has 3D base, -1D for unarmed, +2D for gaining position. which makes 4D. An even fight, since if Agrom ties he doesn't gain any additional advantage from the Defend since he's at full disposition. (Forgot the Impede, but knocking off the last die doesn't change anything thankfully).

Kobold rolls:

Kobold Attack [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 1

Only one success! A pathetic attempt by the Kobold to use his position and get clear of Agrom's clutches. Should be any easy one for Agrom to come out on top for.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom has position on the shaman and his maneuvering has placed the kobold in a spot where the debris-covered floor has neutralized its quick footwork. And yet here Agrom fails to press his attack. Foolishly, he's turned his brain back on.

Temporarily paralyzed by doubt over which action to take next, Agrom lets the kobold back in the fight. Luckily, its kicks and scratches are weak and Agrom safely hides behind his shield, taking no damage.
I took -1d on my check due to my Thoughtful trait working against me. One success, plus 1s for Order of Might. That means I don't lose any Disposition points, right?

Do I even need to roll for my Leather Armor absorbing the kobold attack, since it did no damage?

Shaman Capture conflict Defend [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 1

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Keehnelf »

Yeah, no need to roll for your armor--the shield protected you well enough. You don't need the Might bonus to keep you from losing disposition--you're tied using just your rolls, and you gain a Check for the use of Thoughtful there.

Now it goes the other way around: Agrom turns back to Offense vs. the Kobold's Defense.

Agrom has 4D for Fighter, -1D for Sick, totalling 3D on his attack.

Kobold has Nature 3D with disarmed for -1D, total 2D, +1s to represent Agrom's increased Ob for Dim lighting.

Kobold Defense [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 5

Dang! That means Agrom needs to do 4 in order to reduce the Kobold's disposition with his attack. That makes it impossible unless Agrom has a trick up his sleeve.

---
Turn 9
Agrom, Hungry and Thirsty and Sick, with Sword and Shield in Hand (Dim Light) (2 Checks)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Keehnelf »

If not, we can eschew the roll and mark a Failed test for it and then move on to the next round?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom is getting tired, frustrated, and angry with this stupid kobold. He lashes out blindly with his sword but the poor lighting and the shaman's quick reflexes mean all he ends up doing is tiring himself out.
1 success. Let's move on to Round 2!

[1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 6

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Keehnelf »

OK, go ahead and spoiler your second round whenever ready--I've got mine.
Round 2:
Attack (-1D unarmed)
Feint (-1D unarmed)
Defend (-1D unarmed)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by sulldawga »

Make new picks. I looked at the spoiler before I made my picks. Sorry.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Keehnelf »

Ok, I'm ready. Spoiled below.
1. Defend
2. Feint
3. Attack

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by sulldawga »

Here we go.

Feint.
Attack.
Defend (+2d)

EDIT: HELL YEAH!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Keehnelf »

OK, Volley 2 Action 1 is Agrom's Feint vs. the Kobold's Defend action. That's independent, but with a +1 Ob for being in Dim Light.

Agrom's Hunter 3D, Sick -1D for 2D vs. Ob1.

The Kobold's agility advantage has been eliminated as Agrom presses him back toward the opening.

Any additional modifiers to that roll you want to suggest? Otherwise, just give it a shot!

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom tries to feint an attack and give himself a chance to whack the kobold on the side of the head with the hilt of his sword, but he stumbles on the rocks and barely avoids falling down in front of it instead.

A hint of red crosses his cheeks as he silently thanks the Pilgrim that no one was around to see that.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by sulldawga »

I'm anxious to finish this so let's keep moving. Attack vs. the kobold's Feint is an Independent test. Ob1 for Dim Light. Agrom's Fighter 4d, -1d for Sick, 3d vs. Ob1.

The kobold senses weakness in Agrom and tries to dodge one way and then push past him when he's off balance. Agrom is in a bad position but he just uses his superior weight to bash the kobold back where it came from.
Tie but 1s for Order of Might. I get to knock off one of its Disposition points, right? EDIT: There are no ties for Independent tests. So this is a win, and I knock two DPs off, yes?

Also, the US Dice Roller is killing me. My rolls so far: 15 failures and 10 successes.

Round 2 Attack vs Kobold Shaman [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 1

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Keehnelf »

Well, it's also the being alone and low-level in TB that are killing you on rolls--about the best you can expect at first is like a 50% success rate, and that's traveling in a group :)

Yes, the tie means you get the +1s, so Agrom's disposition is now 3 and the Kobold's is 2.

Kobold attack vs. Agrom's defend.

2D for the kobold:

Kobold Attack [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 5

1 success.

Agrom gets 3D hunter, -1D sick, +2D shield for 4D total vs. Ob 2 to take no damage without using the armor, or one success will still take no damage and just activate the armor.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by sulldawga »

Why is it Ob 2? I thought Attack vs. Defend was a Versus test?

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#58 Post by Simon »

I think Keehnelf's saying that the vs. target for you is 2. The Kobold's 1s plus the dim lighting ob. Effectively the Kobold has two successes which you need to roll against. Roughly the same as an obstacle. That's my read anyways.
A little bit of damage is good for the system
-Tehching Hsieh

Harlan Wax, Halfling Burglar - Flickering Light (Torchbearer)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Keehnelf »

Simon has it right.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom is losing his patience with this kobold. When he sees it springing toward him, he almost contemptuously sits behind his shield and patiently rides out the feeble kicks and scratches from the shaman.
Good news and bad news. The good news is that the dice gods heard my plea and corrected the dice roller's injustices committed against Agrom. The bad news is that all those extra 5s and 6s mean nothing once I rolled the first two. I always ace the Defend rolls when I don't need them.

4 successes, plus 1s for Order of Might, is 5. No DPs lost.

Round 2 Defend vs. Shaman Attack [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 5

Return to “A Flickering Light (Torchbearer)”