Agrom Alone I

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Agrom Alone I

#61 Post by Keehnelf »

Yeah, that would have been great if you'd been missing any disposition...

OK, go ahead and spoiler your next volley...

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by sulldawga »

A couple of rules points I wanted to point out before we begin the next round.

One, I don't automatically get the -1s from Leather Armor. I have to roll a 4-6 to get it. Good news is that leather is more durable so the armor doesn't break down after successfully deflecting an Attack.

Two, I believe we have not been considering a penalty for me. I think I'm supposed to be getting -1s on Fighter tests because I'm wearing a backpack.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Keehnelf »

Ah, good point--I always forget about the backpack penalty. And yeah, I was just noting shorthand on the armor so you'd know roughly what to aim for, and then we could do the armor roll.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by sulldawga »

Round 3... Fight!
Maneuver (+1d Sword, -1s Backpack)
Attack (-1s Backpack)
Attack (-1s Backpack)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Keehnelf »

Kobold's round 3:

Attack
Attack
Defend

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Keehnelf »

OK, Agrom's Maneuver vs. Kobold's Attack: vs. Test

Agrom gets Fighter 4D, +1D for Sword, -1D for sick, +1Ob for Dim Light and -1s for the backpack. That's 4D, -1s vs. Kobold's successes +1.

The Kobold is his base 2D like always (3D -1D for unarmed).

Kobold Attack [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 1

The Kobold scrabbles fiercely but vainly against Agrom's leg trying to get clear of the warrior.

So Agrom's base Ob is 1, with -1s.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom takes the opportunity, with the kobold up close trying to grapple with him, to spin behind it and use his superior weight to hold it in place.

Stop squirming, you little punk. You're not going anywhere.
3 successes, -1s for the backpack and -1s for Dim Light, is 1. Add in 1s for Order of Might and we're done here, yes?

Round 3 Maneuver vs Attack [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 4

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Keehnelf »

That we are! And with no loss of disposition for you, that means full victory with no compromise!
---
12 Brightmorn, 814 - Turn 12 - At the Edge of an Open Pit

Agrom finds himself dangerously close to the edge of the ledge overlooking the watery hole as he finally gets a firm grip on the Kobold. The creature goes slack under his hand, as if resigned to whatever fate awaits him: clearly he seems to understand that he'd gambled big, and he'd lost.

As Agrom considers whether to deal with his prisoner first or to go recover his rope (which still lay across the stone, only half-untied), an ominous creaking sound echoes up from the chamber below--a sound like a wooden door being bent and bent and bent without breaking--the kind of noise a creature of water and darkness might make when hungry, or hunting.

---
Party status:
Agrom, Hungry & Thirsty and Sick, with Sword and Shield in Hand (Dim Light) (2 Checks)
Kobold, Captive

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by sulldawga »

If I wanted to throw the kobold into the water, would that be another conflict?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Keehnelf »

Nah, you've got him under your power at this point, and tossing him into the water would just be the equivalent of forcing him to Test vs. injury, rather than killing him directly. And also exposing him to whatever dangers are down there.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Keehnelf »

Do you want to take any quick, non-Test actions before Harlan moves the Turn counter yet again with his raft construction?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by sulldawga »

If Agrom can grab the rope without letting go of the kobold, he'll do so. If he can tie the kobold up without a test, he'll do so.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Keehnelf »

Absolutely--he grabs the rope and uses it to tie up the kobold and keep him from fleeing or being a danger. The kobold offers no resistance, merely sighing when he's tied up. He mutters a bit under his breath in Kobold-ish, but is otherwise quiet.

---
Party status:
Agrom, Hungry & Thirsty and Sick, with Sword and Shield in Hand (Dim Light) (2 Checks)
Kobold, Captive

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Keehnelf »

12 Brightmorn, 814 - Turn 13 - At the Edge of an Open Pit

As Agrom finishes tying up the kobold and begins thinking about his next step, the adrenaline of his recent fight ebbs away, and he becomes once more aware of how much stress his body is currently under, fighting the effects of the snake's poison while he crawls around on rocks and hauls all of his gear back and forth through the fortress.

He is, quite frankly, exhausted.

A quick reminder: Exhausted increases the Obstacle of all Tests Agrom makes by 1 until it is removed.

---
Party Status:
Agrom, Hungry & Thirsty, Exhausted, and Sick, with Sword and Shield in Hand (Dim Light) (2 Checks)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom will lead the tied-up kobold back into the Broken Statue room, sit him down, and then drop his pack and eat a quick meal.

Gotta be strong in order to save Harlan and Raiz. Man, I wish I had time to nap.

While he's eating and drinking, he'll ask the kobold why it attacked him.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Keehnelf »

The kobold kicks listlessly at one of the rounded stones littering the ground as Agrom leads him to a good spot to tie him up in the broken statue room. The warrior tucks into his meal (I assume you're consuming a ration for this rather than your skin of water?) and feels at least some of the day's brutality begin to fade away.

In response to Agrom's question, the kobold hesitates a long moment before answering. The red-faced one is apparently very upset at your presence in his palace, and once your companions were gone the kobold viewed it as his duty to try and get rid of you if he saw the opportunity. It presented itself, so he took it. Simple as that, and he expresses regret only at being unable to fulfill his duty.

---
Party Status:
Agrom, Exhausted, and Sick, with Sword and Shield in Hand (Dim Light) (2 Checks)
Kobold, Captive

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by sulldawga »

Once he's done eating (yes, one ration down, not the waterskin), Agrom will gather his gear and get the kobold back up to his feet. He'll push the kobold through the door to the west and walk north through the dining room to the icon of the Pilgrim slapping the orc.

Which one of these icons represents the red-faced one, he'll ask the kobold.

EDIT: Agrom will also take the opportunity to pull out a torch and attempt to light it. He'll attempt to do so in an area where there's enough light that he doesn't take a Dim Light penalty.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Keehnelf »

The kobold points to the Pilgrim.

OK, that's Survivalist Ob1 (Ob3 given Exhausted and Dim Light), with a -1D penalty for Sick. Ouch, talk about hard work...

To clarify: the last place you were, where there was full light, was outside the forest, about two miles from here.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by sulldawga »

Even with the ceiling missing in the Dining Room, it's all Dim Light?

Agrom looks around for a couple rocks that might spark up and then starts banging them together next to his torch. It's simple work but he grows tired and out of breath after just a couple of minutes. And the torch comes so close to lighting but never catches fire. Sigh.
Can I get another die for using Survivalist supplies? I don't know what that would be, if not a flint, but supposedly I've got 40 pounds of supplies for my skills taking up space in my pack so might as well get some benefit from it.

Lighting a torch [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 1
EDIT: Thoroughly confused now, Agrom asks the kobold, Which icon represents the crows? Or the crows' master?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Keehnelf »

The supplies are simply those things that are necessary to do your basic work with those skills--so for Survivalist, things like bits of twine, a skinning or woodworking knife, etc. Not disposable supplies that would provide dice bonuses. Firelighting items aren't default Survivalist skill tools, they're covered under the specific item "Tinderbox", which includes a flint and steel.

And yes, the mist filling this valley creates dim lighting conditions everywhere in the forest. Plus the fact that the sun has started to drift behind the treetops to the west...

Actual update in a second.

Return to “A Flickering Light (Torchbearer)”