Character creation rules and discussion

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Character creation rules and discussion

#1 Post by ToniXX »

Character creation rules:
  • Starting XP: 10,000 (This will put thieves at 5th, elves at 3rd, and every other class at 4th)
  • For abilities, roll 4d6 and drop the lowest. Arrange as desired.
  • Adjustment of your prime requisite score is allowed per rules (can only raise prime req., cannot lower con or chr).
  • Lawful or neutral characters only (If you really want to play a chaotic, let's chat)
  • Regarding hit points: since we'll start at higher than level 1, your PC gets a full die for the first level, then roll for the remainder.
  • No NPCs or hirelings. It's hard enough to keep track of seven players. If each also had a henchman or linkboy, it would get out of control.
  • Starting gold doesn't apply since we'll be starting at a higher level. Just equip your PC with whatever you feel necessary and he/she can carry.
  • Roll 1d6 and multiply by 10 for 'walking around' gold. This doesn't have to be spent on equipment.
  • Keep track of your encumbrance in coins (cn) per B/X rules.
  • No horses or pack animals. Bring what you can carry yourselves
  • Magic-users get the usual spells for their level, and also get 'Read Magic' as a free spell.
  • In the same vein, clerics get 'Light' for free too!

** Edit added 9/17/14 **
  • Per B/X rules, magic users can only wield a dagger as a weapon. I'll add that they can also use a staff.
Use this thread to discuss characters with each other or to ask me questions.

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Character creation rules and discussion

#2 Post by barna10 »

Tonixx, I have a BECMI character generator. Any chance of using it for this?

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by ToniXX »

barna10 wrote:Tonixx, I have a BECMI character generator. Any chance of using it for this?
I had checked out your char generator a few days ago, and I would HIGHLY recommend you all use it if you want. Some people enjoy the char gen process. I personally find it a little tedious. So it is your choice.

The only thing I do ask is that if you use barna10's generator (or any other), that you then transfer the PC info to the Unseen Servant pc sheet or the template that I'll update very soon. I just want all PC information on one place.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#4 Post by barna10 »

Starting level or XP?

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by ToniXX »

barna10 wrote:Starting level or XP?
Do'h! I knew I was forgetting something! I've added it to the first post.

FronkyDondo
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by FronkyDondo »

So... one of the sections of the character sheet is Medical History. What about HIPAA? Yuk yuk yuk.
The worms crawl in,
the worms crawl out,
the worms play pinochle on your snout

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elrohir, 3rd level Elf, X1: The Isle of Dread
Coppish Freunt, Elven Fighter/Thief, Pantheons, Cabals and Divulgence
Gwydion Glyndawr, Wood Elf Ranger, Pantheons, Cabals and Divulgence
DM: The Haunted Mines of Gomor, AD&D 1st Ed.

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by barna10 »

Any alternate rules (such as Bonus spells, thief ability bonuses for high DEX, etc. from LL, or General Skills and Weapon Mastery)?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by AleBelly »

FronkyDondo wrote:So... one of the sections of the character sheet is Medical History. What about HIPAA? Yuk yuk yuk.
I laughed a bit too much at this one.

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#9 Post by barna10 »

I am leaning towards Cleric, Thief, or M-U. I'll pick whichever one the group needs most.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by ToniXX »

barna10 wrote:Any alternate rules (such as Bonus spells, thief ability bonuses for high DEX, etc. from LL, or General Skills and Weapon Mastery)?
I had no plans on house ruling anything like this, or taking anything from other rulesets. I'd like to keep it B/X true. But if there are such alternate rules in the books, point them out and I'll consider them. I'll admit I'm still brushing up on the B/X rules.

FronkyDondo
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by FronkyDondo »

ToniXX wrote:
barna10 wrote:Any alternate rules (such as Bonus spells, thief ability bonuses for high DEX, etc. from LL, or General Skills and Weapon Mastery)?
I had no plans on house ruling anything like this, or taking anything from other rulesets. I'd like to keep it B/X true. But if there are such alternate rules in the books, point them out and I'll consider them. I'll admit I'm still brushing up on the B/X rules.
Yeah - part of their charm is their simplicity.
The worms crawl in,
the worms crawl out,

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by max_vale »

I definitely prefer the later Mentzer rules; especially for Magic Users; but that's more a matter of taste than anything else. I also think the Cleric Spell progression makes more sense in Mentzer as opposed to B/X; but one thing in both editions that's important to remember is that both have a very looooonnnnnngggg character progression arc as opposed to AD&D. By which I mean that mid-level AD&D characters (say levels 4-8 or so) are MUCH more capable than Basic characters of the same level (mostly I'm talking about amount of spells that can be cast a day here) and I think this is because Basic characters are supposed to progress thru the teen and 20-something levels as 'par for the course'.

This is of course just my take on it; you mileage may vary! :)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by ToniXX »

max_vale wrote:I definitely prefer the later Mentzer rules; especially for Magic Users; but that's more a matter of taste than anything else. I also think the Cleric Spell progression makes more sense in Mentzer as opposed to B/X; but one thing in both editions that's important to remember is that both have a very looooonnnnnngggg character progression arc as opposed to AD&D. By which I mean that mid-level AD&D characters (say levels 4-8 or so) are MUCH more capable than Basic characters of the same level (mostly I'm talking about amount of spells that can be cast a day here) and I think this is because Basic characters are supposed to progress thru the teen and 20-something levels as 'par for the course'.

This is of course just my take on it; you mileage may vary! :)
I see what you're saying about Cleric spell progression. It is different, and the Mentzer version carried through to the RC, which I would assume. I would be happy to entertain the Mentzer/RC variations if anyone would like that. But, I figure at 4th level, it doesn't matter as much.

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by barna10 »

ToniXX wrote:
No love lost here if we go "by the book", just wondering.

I say we use BECMI books (Menzter) or Rules Compendium, they flow a bit better than Moldvay, IMO.

The only "alternate rules" I would argue for would be Thief Ability bonuses (basically add 5% per DEX bonus to certain skills), and bonus spells for Clerics and Magic-Users. These are both from Labyrinth Lord. I like them because it provides some individualization to characters instead of all of them having cookie-cutter stats (ie every 2nd level thief being the same as every other). I can send you the numbers in a PM if you don't have Labyrinth Lord and would like to consider them. If not, no problem.

edit: Faulty memory. LL has bonus spells for Clerics only, and the Thief skill bonuses apply to all Thief skills except Hear Noise, and the bonus is +5% for 16-17, and +10% for 18 (and penalties for low DEX)

FronkyDondo
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by FronkyDondo »

thirdkingdom wrote: I'm perfectly happy using the straight B/X ruleset.
Me too - I like the rules as they are - especially the Moldvay version. But Holmes is cool too.
The worms crawl in,
the worms crawl out,

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I'm thinking Dwarf but I will change that if the party needs something else. I should have him up before the morrow.

Is there some reference material out there somewhere? Maybe one of you nice gents could post a nice link for the computer illiterate of the bunch? (me)

FronkyDondo
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by FronkyDondo »

OGRE MAGE wrote:I'm thinking Dwarf but I will change that if the party needs something else. I should have him up before the morrow.

Is there some reference material out there somewhere? Maybe one of you nice gents could post a nice link for the computer illiterate of the bunch? (me)
Here you go (but wait for further input from Tonixx):
http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?filter ... 28_44499_0
The worms crawl in,
the worms crawl out,

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by AleBelly »

Nice roll...I am going with a straight -up fighter .

Stats: CON:18, CHR:9, STR:16, WIS:12, INT:11, DEX:14

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#20 Post by ToniXX »

barna10 wrote:No love lost here if we go "by the book", just wondering.

I say we use BECMI books (Menzter) or Rules Compendium, they flow a bit better than Moldvay, IMO.

The only "alternate rules" I would argue for would be Thief Ability bonuses (basically add 5% per DEX bonus to certain skills), and bonus spells for Clerics and Magic-Users. These are both from Labyrinth Lord. I like them because it provides some individualization to characters instead of all of them having cookie-cutter stats (ie every 2nd level thief being the same as every other). I can send you the numbers in a PM if you don't have Labyrinth Lord and would like to consider them. If not, no problem.

edit: Faulty memory. LL has bonus spells for Clerics only, and the Thief skill bonuses apply to all Thief skills except Hear Noise, and the bonus is +5% for 16-17, and +10% for 18 (and penalties for low DEX)
Thanks for the input, but for the most part, I'd like to keep this BTB with Moldvay/Cook. It seems that for 98% of the rules are the same from Moldvay/Cook to Mentzer/RC, so you can feel free to use whatever you want. I do like the fact that with Mentzer, magic users also get 'Read Magic'. I do that in my FtF 1ed games and I'll apply that here. (I'll adjust the first post).

Here's a good post on the differences: http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... mentzer-dd
FWIW, Mentzer weighs in on this thread, which is pretty cool (He's known as 'ExTSR' on a lot of forums)

Return to “X1 - The Isle of Dread (B/X)”