Character creation rules and discussion

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character creation rules and discussion

#21 Post by max_vale »

Yeah; to me the Mentzer books seem to have 'cleaned up' some of the strangeness in the Moldvay/Cook books which I like a lot. Just curious; for those that do prefer the earlier B/X books; why? (Not trying to sound like a jerk; I actually am curious....for what it's worth; I like 1st and 2nd AD&D MUCH better than 3rd and I know that baffles a lot of people who think: 'but 3rd has the simple Higher is ALWAYS better than LOWER mechanic; how can you like the earlier stuff?'; which honestly is more because of what I played growing up than anything else.....well, that and the art....I just flat-out hated the 3rd edition art. :) )

Oh yeah....I think I asked you this earlier Tonixx and if you already gave me an answer, my apologies; but do I choose a 2nd Level spell (or multiple spells) or is that something you'll handle? Thanks in advance!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#22 Post by ToniXX »

max_vale wrote:Oh yeah....I think I asked you this earlier Tonixx and if you already gave me an answer, my apologies; but do I choose a 2nd Level spell (or multiple spells) or is that something you'll handle? Thanks in advance!
You can pick them. Also note the added 'free' spell (Check first post of this thread).
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#23 Post by ToniXX »

max_vale wrote:Yeah; to me the Mentzer books seem to have 'cleaned up' some of the strangeness in the Moldvay/Cook books which I like a lot. Just curious; for those that do prefer the earlier B/X books; why? (Not trying to sound like a jerk; I actually am curious....for what it's worth; I like 1st and 2nd AD&D MUCH better than 3rd and I know that baffles a lot of people who think: 'but 3rd has the simple Higher is ALWAYS better than LOWER mechanic; how can you like the earlier stuff?'; which honestly is more because of what I played growing up than anything else.....well, that and the art....I just flat-out hated the 3rd edition art. :) )
I was first introduced to the game through the Holmes book. I had a good friend who had it. I then got the Basic box for Christmas in 1981, with the Expert box set for my birthday in 82 three months later. I never owned the Mentzer stuff until I got back into the game around 2006. That's why I like the Moldvay/Cook content. It's based solely on nostalgia. :)

FronkyDondo
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#24 Post by FronkyDondo »

Kinda the same for me as well. The artwork, nostalgia. That blue cover! Followed by B/X with the Erol Otus artwork! And it *is* internally consistent (the Moldvay/Cook version anyway). I thought the Mentzer /Moldvay versions were almost the same...?
The worms crawl in,
the worms crawl out,
the worms play pinochle on your snout

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elrohir, 3rd level Elf, X1: The Isle of Dread
Coppish Freunt, Elven Fighter/Thief, Pantheons, Cabals and Divulgence
Gwydion Glyndawr, Wood Elf Ranger, Pantheons, Cabals and Divulgence
DM: The Haunted Mines of Gomor, AD&D 1st Ed.

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#25 Post by barna10 »

I am revising my character bid. I'm going either cleric or elf.

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#26 Post by barna10 »

FronkyDondo wrote:Kinda the same for me as well. The artwork, nostalgia. That blue cover! Followed by B/X with the Erol Otus artwork! And it *is* internally consistent (the Moldvay/Cook version anyway). I thought the Mentzer /Moldvay versions were almost the same...?
There are differences, the main being that Menzter's is more polished.

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#27 Post by barna10 »

I see we have an Elf and a Magic-User so I'll go Cleric.

Are we using Weapon Mastery and General skills from Rules Compendium?

edit: wowzers! what a Cleric! (2nd roll - first had highest roll of 9)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by dmw71 »

FronkyDondo wrote:Here you go (but wait for further input from Tonixx):
http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?filter ... 28_44499_0
I'm of the opinion that we should agree (or Greg just pick) a single edition that everyone sticks with. If it's BX, it's BX. If it's BECMI, it's BECMI (or Rules Cyclopedia). There are definitely differences between BX and BECMI and I could see things getting confusing if different players are using different rules.

If I had to vote, I'd choose to follow the Rules Cyclopedia since it is a pretty faithful compilation of the BECMI rules and could be a single source (instead of needing both the B and X from BX, or B and E from BECMI to play mid-level characters).

Just my two copper pieces.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by AleBelly »

Equipping my character and seeing barna's character generator at the same time reminded me of something; are we equipping ourselves with items only from the armor/weapons/equipment list or is there an allowance for a magic item/armor/weapon or two?

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#30 Post by barna10 »

dmw71 wrote:
FronkyDondo wrote:Here you go (but wait for further input from Tonixx):
http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?filter ... 28_44499_0
I'm of the opinion that we should agree (or Greg just pick) a single edition that everyone sticks with. If it's BX, it's BX. If it's BECMI, it's BECMI (or Rules Cyclopedia). There are definitely differences between BX and BECMI and I could see things getting confusing if different players are using different rules.

If I had to vote, I'd choose to follow the Rules Cyclopedia since it is a pretty faithful compilation of the BECMI rules and could be a single source (instead of needing both the B and X from BX, or B and E from BECMI to play mid-level characters).

Just my two copper pieces.
Voting for Rules Cyclopedia

FronkyDondo
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#31 Post by FronkyDondo »

He actually already posted in the Character creation rules/guidelines:
"I will be using the Moldvay/Cook basic/expert rules. You can use them or the Mentzer set or the Rules Cyclopedia if you'd like"
The worms crawl in,
the worms crawl out,

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by dmw71 »

FronkyDondo wrote:He actually already posted in the Character creation rules/guidelines:
"I will be using the Moldvay/Cook basic/expert rules. You can use them or the Mentzer set or the Rules Cyclopedia if you'd like"
I did remember reading that either option was allowed. I'll admit to not remembering the "I will be using..." part, so thanks for pointing that out.

Since there are enough differences between the two, I'd just assume use the same rules the DM is using. I'll check after work to see if I already own the PDFs for BX, and will head over to D&D Classics if I don't.
-- Project --
-- DM --

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#33 Post by ToniXX »

This
FronkyDondo wrote:He actually already posted in the Character creation rules/guidelines:
As I said, the differences are so minor that you can use any of the rulesets as you play and you should be fine.
barna10 wrote:Are we using Weapon Mastery and General skills from Rules Compendium?
Let me look into this. My initial reaction is probably not, as I don't think it will come into play with this adventure. But I will examine it and reply.
AleBelly wrote:Equipping my character and seeing barna's character generator at the same time reminded me of something; are we equipping ourselves with items only from the armor/weapons/equipment list or is there an allowance for a magic item/armor/weapon or two?
I did want to give you options for magic item loadouts. Let me look into that and I'll post here and modify the first post. I'll make up enough so that everyone can pick one with a few left overs. I'll gear them towards certain PC types as well.

FronkyDondo
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#34 Post by FronkyDondo »

I'll take the +5 two-handed vorpal sword that detects magic and traps, thanks. And I guess +5 platemail of Etherealness. I should be good to go after that.
The worms crawl in,
the worms crawl out,

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#35 Post by barna10 »

FronkyDondo wrote:I'll take the +5 two-handed vorpal sword that detects magic and traps, thanks. And I guess +5 platemail of Etherealness. I should be good to go after that.
I've no problem with this. lol

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by dmw71 »

Not that it will change how I build my character, but is the Variable Weapon Damage system (B27) being used, or do all weapons do 1-6 damage?
-- Project --
-- DM --

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#37 Post by ToniXX »

dmw71 wrote:Not that it will change how I build my character, but is the Variable Weapon Damage system (B27) being used, or do all weapons do 1-6 damage?
Good question. Variable weapon damage will be used.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#38 Post by ToniXX »

barna10 wrote:Are we using Weapon Mastery and General skills from Rules Compendium?
I had time to review these rules this afternoon, and we will not be using them.

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#39 Post by barna10 »

ToniXX wrote:
I had time to review these rules this afternoon, and we will not be using them.
OK

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#40 Post by barna10 »

ToniXX wrote:Character creation rules:
  • In the same vein, clerics get 'Light' for free too!
I thought Clerics had access to their entire spell list?

Also, is there an encumbrance bonus for high strength?

Return to “X1 - The Isle of Dread (B/X)”