Chapter 4: Under the Tree

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 4: Under the Tree

#261 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon scurries to take a position towards the back. "It's retreating! Use some of the sunlight on your right. No, Bürd's right. Marcus' left." He does his best to point out the best rays of sunlight that are not being blocked by the foliage.

Command Stance
The character makes himself conspicuous to the enemy but exhorts his companions to greatness. The character gets a -6 to AC and may not attack, but may make a Charisma check to give his companions +2 to hit for the round.

CHA Check (14): [1d20] = 5

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Pulpatoon »

KingOfCowards wrote:Simon scurries to take a position towards the back. "It's retreating! Use some of the sunlight on your right. No, Bürd's right. Marcus' left." He does his best to point out the best rays of sunlight that are not being blocked by the foliage.
Command Stance
The character makes himself conspicuous to the enemy but exhorts his companions to greatness. The character gets a -6 to AC and may not attack, but may make a Charisma check to give his companions +2 to hit for the round.

CHA Check (14): [1d20] = 5
MonkeyWrench wrote:Marcus sets his spear next to Gizzy, taking the sword from Gizzy's belt and helping direct what sunlight remains onto the ooze thing.
Marcus Intelligence Check(INT:12): [1d20] = 10
+2 from Simon's helpful instruction = 8.
mb. wrote:Bürd advances on the sludge, keeping as much sunlight on it as he can!

Let's have another INT check for Bürd, with Simon's +2.

Also, this week is going to see some pretty slow posting. Just a crazy week at work. Apologies.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#263 Post by mb. »

I guess the +2 goes on my INT, not my roll? Or does it become a -2 to my roll, since I'm aiming to roll low? Anyway... [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15 With an INT of 15 I either rolled an 11 under 15, or a 14 under 17. Either way a success.

Just as playtest feedback, getting +2 and therefore subtracting 2 from a roll is pretty confusing. As is the "sometimes roll high, sometimes low" thing.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by Pulpatoon »

mb. wrote:I guess the +2 goes on my INT, not my roll? Or does it become a -2 to my roll, since I'm aiming to roll low? Anyway... [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15 With an INT of 15 I either rolled an 11 under 15, or a 14 under 17. Either way a success.

Just as playtest feedback, getting +2 and therefore subtracting 2 from a roll is pretty confusing. As is the "sometimes roll high, sometimes low" thing.
Yeah, this is a syntactic hiccup in the game. "-2" doesn't look like a bonus, but "+2" gets applied differently depending on the roll. I think of + as good and - as bad, and so +2 is two points in your favor, whichever way that goes. In a skill check like this, yes, you effectively get a +2 bump to your intelligence.

In the panic of the moment, Bürd and Marcus do their best to keep track of the undulating ooze and the flickering sunlight. The reflected sunlight is strongest closest to the creature, but that puts you in danger of the creatures flailing extrusions. Fortunately, Simon jumps in and begins calling advice, both directing you towards the brightest sunlight and warning you when to jump back. With this help, Marcus and Bürd become much more effective at safely approaching the ooze and not only shining their light on it, but herding part of its bulk towards other sun patches.
The hissing of the the creature's burning is clearly audible, punctuated by sharp pops as its surface bubbles. It is moving more slowly than before as it continues to attempt a retreat.

However, even as it tries to escape, it flails out with a whiplike tendril.
[1d3] = 2 Target: Bürd.
[1d20] = 7
However, it misses, the tendril snapping high over the dwarf's head.

The ooze is a little over halfway back to the entrance to the underground.

Your turn! Go!

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Marcus continues to herd the sludge to into the sunlight.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#266 Post by mb. »

Bürd advances on the sludge, "we've got it runnin' lads!" He searches for a bright patch of sunlight...

INT (15) [1d20] = 2

...and blasts a bright reflection at the foul ooze!

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#268 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon continues to call out directions to his friends, smiling to himself at the apparent success.

CHA Check (14): [1d20] = 6

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by Pulpatoon »

Under Simon's direction, Marcus and Bürd become almost balletic in their coordination, stepping to the ooze's very edge to train the strongest light upon it, leaping back as necessary, and then immediately pressing in again.
Smoke is fairly pouring off the ooze now and orange and green flames flicker across the creatures surface. It abandons its attempts to strike back, bringing all its efforts to the attempt to retreat down into the whole. The more it burns, however, the more sluggish its movements become.

Still, it is making progress. You have one more round to try to roast this thing before it slips back into darkness.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Marcus redoubles his efforts, intent on taking this thing down before it can escape.

Marcus Intelligence Check(INT:12): [1d20] = 16

Yikes!

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#271 Post by mb. »

Bürd has a hard time not just hitting the damned thing with his axe, but resists and blasts it with whatever sunlight he can.

INT 15 – [1d20] = 9

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#272 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon continues to direct
CHA Check (14): [1d20] = 13

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by Pulpatoon »

The team continues its reflective assault on the ooze, which, in turn, continues to burn and smoke. Marcus loses his beam of light, and can't seem to find another, falling out of step with Simon's choreography. Bürd is able to keep his beam steady, despite the faltering sun.

The ooze is mostly a smoking ruin of ash and putrescence among the dead grass. However, a tiny portion—perhaps a barrel's worth—drips back into the darkness under the tree.

The sky is red and orange and fading to dark purple above you. It will be night soon.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#274 Post by mb. »

Burd let's out a deep and hearty laugh, his axe shining in the red sunset, "lads, what a victory! Now I'm wantin' t'know where it skulks off t'! Are y'with me lads?" He looks eager to chase it back underground, but looks around at his friends.
Last edited by mb. on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#275 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon allows himself a smile after the victory. "It's defeated for now. Without the sunlight, do we have a way of harming it?" Maybe we should rest and spend time deciding how we protect ourselves during the night.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#276 Post by mb. »

Bürd scowls, "it's nary th'shadow of what it were lad! I've no fear of it no more, an' we've sent it sloppin' back t'its hole! This blasted caper's still got too much of th'mystery about it fer my likin' an' if'n we're knowin' where that evil sludge come from, we're a right step closer t'knowin' what's accursin' our woods I reckon." He nods eagerly towards the hole, "there'll be time enough fer lickin' wounds 'n' such when we're home an' these woods are safe, but fer now it's gettin' away!" Bürd turns and stomps off to follow the sludge, "come if'n yer comin', but I fer one'm goin'!" He starts down into the hole at a jog.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Yet again Marcus seems split, wanting to help Bürd and make sure he does not come to any harm and protecting the rest of his friends. He looks around the grove, the dead and decaying creatures, the corruption, and the unconscious Gizzy. Marcus sighs, rubs his eyes, and speaks up to the group, "Help Bürd, I do not want any more of us getting hurt... I will carry Gizzy to town to get him help. I will be back as soon as I can, hopefully with more help."

Marcus then slides the sword into his belt, hooks his spear into the crook of his arms and then picks up Gizzy. He starts walking towards the village.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#278 Post by KingOfCowards »

Torn between following Marcus safely back to town or his friend Burd back into the cave, Simon relents. "Be safe, Marcus." and quickly jogs after the dwarf.

…and that was the last time anyone remembers seeing Simon.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by Pulpatoon »

Bürd and Simon: You descend once more into the dank and gloom. You catch sight of the ooze making it's way down the right end of the curving tunnel.

Marcus: Can I have a WIS check, with perception-related bonuses you might have?

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by MonkeyWrench »

I don't think I need the perception bonuses...

Marcus Wisdom Check(WIS:10): [1d20] = 1

Return to “Adventure 1: Death Comes to Herebury”