Chapter 4: Under the Tree

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 4: Under the Tree

#281 Post by Pulpatoon »

Marcus and Gizzy: I'm going to send you guys off to your own thread for a little while.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by PyroArrow »

Tokioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius [AC: 12 HP: 2/5]:

Ok Then!
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#283 Post by mb. »

After it!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by Pulpatoon »

The ooze is progressing at a pace barely faster than a comfortable walk. You catch up to it immediately. It bubbles and creeps away from you.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#285 Post by mb. »

Bürd follows it, keeping his axe at the ready. He says over his shoulder, "Kin y'magick a light lad? Could be th'light'd burn it good as the sun, an' it'd let us see aught either way."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#286 Post by KingOfCowards »

"Sorry. I've tried that. My powers are exhausted for the day. If weapons won't harm it, all we have is fire."

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#287 Post by mb. »

Bürd nods grimly as they continue to follow, "Aye, an' fire done precious little for us. Mayhap these weak lil' drippings'll just lead us t'somethin' we should be knowin'."

Is there any chance Bürd has heard or read about anything like this sludge before?
INT 15 [1d20] = 15

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Pulpatoon »

Bürd:
You know that there is a class of underworld predator/scavenger of oozes, jellies, puddings, and molds. They are found deep in the dark places of earth, not this close to the surface. And for one to go into the sunlight would be unheard of.

Different ones have different weakness. Fire is common, but for others it is cold, or the subtle fluid of lightening-spark.
The ooze creeps along the right-hand passage, until it comes to the branching passage you did not explore, earlier. It follows this branching passage.

It is very dark, and still smokey. Bürd can see pretty well, but Simon cannot. Simon, do you have a torch or other means of illumination, or are you holding on to Bürd to follow? And while I'm checking on details, your hands were numbed to the point of paralysis earlier, right?

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#289 Post by KingOfCowards »

Pulpatoon wrote:Simon, do you have a torch or other means of illumination, or are you holding on to Bürd to follow? And while I'm checking on details, your hands were numbed to the point of paralysis earlier, right?
Yes they were. Although I am not entirely sure why, considering he made his saving throw. I suppose torchlight is out of the question, so Simon will hang out at the entrance and wait for Bürd to return.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#290 Post by mb. »

When Simon stops, Bürd does too, thinks a moment, and says, "ach, y'skinwalkers're lost in the flesh a'th'earth, aye? None could call me craven, but I'm none too keen t'follow th'ooze alone lad, so come on along an' I'll strike a light." Considering how slow the sludge is moving, Bürd takes a moment to light a torch, hands it to Simon, and continues onward...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Pulpatoon »

KingOfCowards wrote: Yes they were. Although I am not entirely sure why, considering he made his saving throw. I suppose torchlight is out of the question, so Simon will hang out at the entrance and wait for Bürd to return.
It'd have been worse if you hadn't made it.

Bürd lights a torch.

You follow the ooze down a small tunnel, into a chamber with a stone well in the center. The round wall around the well is made of stones like those used for the abortive walls you found earlier, and only about a foot and a half high. The ooze begins to dizzle up the wall, towards the well.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#292 Post by mb. »

"No y'don't y'slime!" Bürd jumps forward, snatching the torch from Simon and holding it close to the front edge of the ooze, blocking it from reaching the edge of the well.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#293 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon stands back, some part of him hoping that Bürd fails and the slime gets away...further away from the two of them anyway.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by Pulpatoon »

The slime recoils from the flame, and whips a tendril at Bürd:
[1d20] = 11
[1d6] = 6!

The tendril slashes across Bürd's face, stinging his eyes and opening a nasty gash from ear to ear!

Constitution check to avoid dropping the torch, please!

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#295 Post by mb. »

CON 13 [1d20] = 10

Bürd drops his axe with a clang and covers his eyes with his free hand, but maintains his grip on the torch and presses it to the slime! Should I roll an attack?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Pulpatoon »

Since the ooze is still mobile enough to try to avoid the fire, then, yes, let's roll an attack.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#297 Post by mb. »

[1d20] = 3

Not sure if my normal pluses should apply when using a torch, but with that roll it probably doesn't matter. :shock:

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by Pulpatoon »

Torch damage: [1d6] = 4

The ooze makes a satisfying sizzling sound when you thrust the burning torch end into it. Most of it's viscous mass drops, liquid and lifeless, to the cave floor. Only a small quantity, about the amount that would fit in one of Eighter's beer steins, continues its unctuous path to the wall's lip. It flails tendrils at you in what would appear to be the ooze-equivalent of anger, but it no longer has the reach to pose a danger.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#299 Post by mb. »

Bürd sizzles the remaining scraps of ooze, drops the torch and sits heavily on the floor with a heavy sigh. He laughs tiredly, "we got it lad. We got it." He wipes ineffectually at the gash across his face.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by Pulpatoon »

With a fizzle and pop and the smell of burning excrescence, the ooze is dead!

You are in a dark chamber, underground. There is a well in the middle of the chamber and the remains of some sort of demonic slime mold on the floor. The air is foul and silent.

Return to “Adventure 1: Death Comes to Herebury”