Part 2: The Barrow Fields

rollo
Squire
Squire

Re: Part 1: Helix

#21 Post by rollo »

"Rope? I've got rope!" pipes up the half-elf, his voice cracking nervously at the verge of the barrows. He never imagined, in his entirely sheltered life in the forest, that they could feel so....creepy.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by ybn1197 »

Marcus discovers a number of tracks entering and leaving the area, criss-crossing each other. Its difficult to tell how old the tracks are but they do not seem to be very recent. The majority appear to be humanoid as they are booted foot prints, but he does find some odd bare-footed tracks and some tracks where the walker was dragging a foot or leg.

DMStue
Tracker
Tracker

#23 Post by DMStue »

After Marcus searches for track, Dren creeps carefully forwards checking for traps on the ground before the door but finding none. Hoping that he hasn't missed anything, he examines the door checking for signs of hidden danger.
Check for Traps on ground = 47 Fail (Roll ID:29278)
Check for Traps on Door= 17 Pass (Roll ID:29279)
Drendan Fallowbriar - Halfling Thief in "Valnwall: The Barrowmaze (LL)"

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by ybn1197 »

Dren finds no signs of traps or pitfalls and concludes the entrance way is safe. The stone door appears to be solid and forced into its current position. It looks like you will have to break the stone door down to gain entry.

RiotInferno
Guide
Guide

#25 Post by RiotInferno »

"Can we dig in from the top or the side? If we're going to put some manual labor into it, we might as well come in from the side they don't expect."

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by Ludanto »

"Well, if we can't dig around," Mortiganto says, pulling out his sledgehammer, "it's going to be sledgehammers, I guess. It won't be quiet, though, so we'll need everybody else to watch our backs for unwanted company."
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#27 Post by Tomcat42 »

Hedric the Strange

"I will stand watch while you fellows do your excavating." Hedric pipes up "I hardly think I would be effective with heavy tools. I would assume that the cap door would be the cleanest and quickest means of entrance as the mound is likely built of brick and support timbers underneath."

Is the light failing us at this point and is a torch necessary?
DM: "Black Dougal gasps 'Poison!' and falls to the floor. He looks dead."
Fredrik: "I'm grabbing his pack to carry treasure in."

rollo
Squire
Squire

#28 Post by rollo »

The ranger wraps his cloak around him against the chill of this unnerving place and adds quietly "Hopefully if we knock on the door no one will answer."

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#29 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Marcus, Outside Mounds***

Swinging a sledge over Den's head and slamming it onto the door, of the mound, Marcus mumbles. "Well, let's get to breaking this thing down."

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by ybn1197 »

Tomcat42 wrote:Hedric the Strange

Is the light failing us at this point and is a torch necessary?
No. The group set out in the mid-morning. By the time you arrive at the mounds, it is mid-afternoon. There is still a couple of hours till nightfall.

Marcus begins to swing the sledgehammer and slowly chips away at the slab blocking the entrance. It takes about 20 minutes to beat the stone down enough that you all can get through. 20 minutes of load noise that puts everyone on edge as the sound reverberates across the moor, though it does not seem to attract anything's attention.

Light streams in to the crypt, illuminating dust mites as they float in the air. A set of stairs leads down into the open room. You are not sure of the room's dimensions as the light that filters in is not enough to shine from wall to wall. You do see two stone slabs in the middle of the room. There is a body/form lying on each slab.

Saxinis
Strider
Strider

#31 Post by Saxinis »

Uto

Uto pushes his way to the entrance, "Wait a minute chaps, youse might want me to check the chamber for the not-quite-dead first".

Uto starts to chant and bangs his staff on the lintel floor and his quarterstaff starts to brighten like an unwavering torch. Uto's chants take on a new cadence and he cries out "Wotan, Wotan, Wotan" as he swings his quarterstaff to and fro.
Uto has cast Light followed by Detect Evil
* I'll be your huckleberry.
* I don't really care too much about the ruleset, I want a good setting and to have fun.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by ybn1197 »

Calling out to Wotan, Uto's staff flares to life and casts light throughout the 30' x 30' chamber. The forms on the slabs reveal themselves to be the skeletal remains of a couple draped in rotting burial shrouds. Their feet face towards you and decorative amphora lie at their feet. Uto feels no trace of evil emanating from the area.

RiotInferno
Guide
Guide

#33 Post by RiotInferno »

Pyrrhic, with bow still drawn, stands at the entrance to the mound watching the outside.
"You guys let me know what you find, I'll cover our rear."

Saxinis
Strider
Strider

#34 Post by Saxinis »

Uto

"All clear", Uto says as he descends the stairs and moves slightly off to the side, holding his staff high to illuminate the chamber as the rest enter.
* I'll be your huckleberry.
* I don't really care too much about the ruleset, I want a good setting and to have fun.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#35 Post by Ludanto »

Mortiganto follows Uto inside, carefully testing each step and watching for anything trappy. Once inside, he'll look for any valuables or containers that might hold valuables, and barring that, he sees if he can open or move the slab with the skeletons on it.

DMStue
Tracker
Tracker

#36 Post by DMStue »

Taking a deep breath and taking advantage of the flickering shadows, Dren draws his sword and sets off ahead, heading for the closest body, checking for traps on the stairs as he tries to keep to the shadows and move without making a noise.
Move Silently - Success (roll 29317)
Hide in Shadow - Failure (roll 29318)
Find Traps - Failure (roll 28319)
Drendan Fallowbriar - Halfling Thief in "Valnwall: The Barrowmaze (LL)"

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by ybn1197 »

Dren checks the stairs for traps before anyone else enters, however he does not find any and reaches the floor of the chamber without any mishap. Moving towards the closest body (we'll say right since they are in the middle of the chamber, equal distance from the steps.) The bowl at the head of the skeleton contains 25 g.p.

Mortiganto moves into the chamber and sees a bowl at the head of the body on the left as well. This bowl contains 25 g.p. as well. The amphora look like they might be valuable too.

Outside, Pyrrhic finds the quiet of the moor uncomfortable. The lack of natural sounds (birds chirping, cicadas humming, etc.) makes the fighter uneasy.

RiotInferno
Guide
Guide

#38 Post by RiotInferno »

Pyrrhic looks around, slightly uneasily.
"Is it safe in there and can we close the door behind us? There's nothing out here, but who knows what will come up behind us in this Wotan-forsaken moor.
My father always used to tell me to 'Stay off the moors...', I wonder if he knew this place was foul, or if nothing ever good happens on a moor."

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by Ludanto »

"So far, so good," Mortiganto replies. "But don't close the door on us. We need to keep our options for panicked retreat open."

He considers the bowls and amphorae. "Those bowls look like bad luck. I'll check out these amfer... amp... these vases."

He examines the amphorae, and then opens the lids if they have them, to examine their contents.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by ybn1197 »

Ludanto wrote:He examines the amphorae, and then opens the lids if they have them, to examine their contents.
The amphorae do not have any stoppers and they are empty. They are very nicely decorated but feel like they can be easily broken.

Return to “Valnwall: The Barrowmaze (LL)”