Chapter 1 - Screams at Dawn

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 1 - Screams at Dawn

#1 Post by ybn1197 »

You were told that Madame Freona’s Tea Kettle was the place where adventurers could find work and avoid the hassle associated with other places in Silverhill. So far, that has been true. Madame Freona, a stout and officious halfling who runs the establishment with her five daughters, has proven an excellent hostess.
Although you have had to share a common bunkroom with several other adventurers, the evening meal was excellent and the atmosphere pleasant. After a peaceful night’s rest, Briez, one of Madame Freona’s five daughters, is serving you a delightful breakfast, which includes freshly made wildberry jam on warm biscuits.
“My sisters and I picked the berries ourselves,” says the young halfling woman, sweeping her long black hair out of her face. “Some say the wildberries in this area are—”
Before Briez can finish her thought, shrieking erupts from the street outside the Tea Kettle. While the words are mostly unintelligible, you do make out “help” and “family.”

You are the only ones who stayed in the bunkroom the previous night. If you choose to interact with one another as the night goes by, please post in Introductions - A Night at the Tea Kettle

Eulalios

Re: Chapter 1 - Screams at Dawn

#2 Post by Eulalios »

Abhkari springs to his feet, seizes and strings his bow, puts an arrow to the string, and proceeds to the window in search of a valid target. He mutters a prayer to Apollo as he does this.

Abhkari's longbow normal range [1d20+5] = 3+5 = 8 [1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by tumblingdice »

Erevan looks up from his book upon hearing the commotion outside. He slams his book shut, then approaches the window, muttering to himself. And there we were, in the midst of a perfectly good story about berries, and now this. Idiots!
Hmmm...having not chosen any spells to memorize, I guess I'm limited to cantrips.
He prepares to cast shocking grasp.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by MrHemlocks »

"Yikes! What in tarnation is going on?" Pulling on his boots, Adrik heads to the window. Standing on his toes, to get a better view, he looks for what is causing all the ruckus.
Last edited by MrHemlocks on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ybn1197 »

You hurry to the window to see townsfolk rushing to assist a middle-aged human woman. She has collapsed in the middle of the road, crying hysterically, clutching what appears to be an infant boy in her arms.

Eulalios

#6 Post by Eulalios »

Abhkari shakes his head, relaxes the bow, and quivers the arrow. "Trouble seeks some shooters," he says.

pipes84
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by pipes84 »

"Here it is. The Tea Ket..." Craw stops amidst the sentence hearing the commotion in the street, his eyes narrowing with suspect and his right hand inadvertently looking for the hilt of the sword.
"No good, no good" he mutters leaving the side alley and walking towards the rushing crowd "and just when I had finally found my next meal". He adjusts his belt and sighs "so much for the wildberries".

Sorry guys, since I'm late I thought my char would approach the scene from a different place

Eulalios

#8 Post by Eulalios »

Carrying his bow in hand, quiver on his back and axes in his belt, Abhkari leaves his sword and shield in the inn as he steps out into the street. Maybe he looks dangerous as he approaches the middle aged woman; he tries to look gentle and kind the way the Master Abbot looked when he told Abhkari that scholarly work was not his ... fort? keep? moat? ... whatever. He moves patiently through the gathering crowd til he gets near the woman. Kneeling, he looks over her and the boy. Of those nearby he asks, "Can my weapons or my knowledge help?" He carefully studies the woman, the boy, and the crowd.
Insight [1d20+1] = 16+1 = 17 (+2 more for proficiency = 19) - what does he notice?

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by MrHemlocks »

Stepping out of the tavern, Adrik stops near the entrence and looks the way the women and infant came. He scans the surrounding area for anything out of place or dangerous.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by tumblingdice »

Erevan, seeing that Abhkari has taken the initiative, waits for the woman to answer.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.

pipes84
Tracker
Tracker

#11 Post by pipes84 »

Seeing the archer approach the woman, Craw gets a few steps closer to take a deep look of the scene.

Perception check: [1d20+4] = 9+4 = 13

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by ybn1197 »

The woman, with tears in her eyes, looks up at Abhkari. With one hand clutching the infant tight, she reaches out and grabs Abhkari's sleeve. "My husband, my children," she sobs. "They were attacked and taken by goblins. You must help us, please!"

Abhkari
Everything seems to be on the level. The woman is honestly distraught and seeking help.
Craw
There is a large crowd gathering around Abhkari and the woman. From the south, you see a pair of humans, soldiers of some sort by the looks of them. The one is pointing out the crowd to the other and they are nodding.

pipes84
Tracker
Tracker

#13 Post by pipes84 »

"Goblin raiders?" Craw whispers mostly to himself, before something to the South attracts his attention.

To DM
Do they look like Silverhill guards or militia? (I'm assuming Craw saw the city/village militia entering). Anyway, Craw will try to gauge their intentions:

Insight check: [1d20+4] = 4+4 = 8

and probably get confused...

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by ybn1197 »

Craw
They do look like Silverhill militia but you have no clear idea of their intentions.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by MrHemlocks »

Adrik, hearing that goblins are near town and have taken the woman's husband and children really gets his blood boiling. He yells out as he approaches the woman. Move aside let me talk to her! My lady what is your name and please tell more about these goblins and where they might of taken your family."

He knows that time is of the essence. For if the goblins do have her family than their lives are at stake. Hating goblins and their vile actions he swears to find these creatures and wreck swift justice.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by ybn1197 »

With Adrik drawing her attention and tears streaming down her face, she says, "My name is Millivent Moss. My husband and I farm peat from the bogs outside of town. We live about an hour from here. My husband and our children, along with a few of our hired hands, went out on the bog early this morning. That's when they were attacked by the goblins. I grabbed our son and leaped into our wagon to escape. I know I shouldn't have but I kept looking behind me to see if they were following. That's when I say that they were dragging everyone away towards the east. They looked like they were still alive.

Eulalios

#17 Post by Eulalios »

Looking around for the wagon, Abhkari says reassuringly, "We are skilled warriors, we can track them down and bring back the captives. Maybe just ransom them, if it goes to that."

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by MrHemlocks »

"I will be going to rescue your family and I feel a few more from this crowd will help. A couple more question before heading off. Which is the best way toward your farm and why would the goblins take the captives east? What is in the east that these beast are going to? Are there caves or marsh land they call home east of your farm?"
Do we have horses or ponies? Did we just walk into town?

pipes84
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by pipes84 »

"If you need one more sword, I'll be glad to add mine to the rescue" Says Craw looking at the two closer adventurers while resting his left hand on the pommel of his sheated blade. "But I fear we must make haste"

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by tumblingdice »

Erevan steps forward. You'll no doubt need a wizard, someone proficient in prestidigitation. Count me in. His eyes soften at the sight of the woman, despite his officious, polysyllabic ramblings.

Return to “Veranar (DnD 5e)”