Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Out-of-Character Comments

#1 Post by ybn1197 »

Use this topic to post Out-of-Character Comments

Eulalios

Re: Out-of-Character Comments

#2 Post by Eulalios »

did I read correctly? I thought in Next Basic we just roll d20 plus mods and if greater than ac, we hit. or 2d20c1 in case of advantage

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ybn1197 »

For the most part, that is correct. Roll d20, add bonuses, subtract penalties, and the result is the AC you hit. If you have Advantage, you roll twice and take the better roll. If you have disadvantage, you roll twice and take the worse roll.

Eulalios

#4 Post by Eulalios »

I am really liking the DnD Next Basic rules. frankly as much as I liked 2e back in high school. curious what the phb looks like, though it seems non essential.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ybn1197 »

Eulalios wrote:I am really liking the DnD Next Basic rules. frankly as much as I liked 2e back in high school. curious what the phb looks like, though it seems non essential.
I wouldn't go that far :lol: From what I have heard online, the PHB greatly expands on the Basic Rules. In the Basic Rules, you have your 4 base classes and 4 base races. The PHB has the rest of the character classes (i.e. Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Bard, etc.) and the rest of the races (1/2 elf, 1/2 orc, gnome, etc.) Also, the cleric only has one domain in the Basic Rules, sun. The PHB has all the other domains (i.e. war, night, etc.) I also heard that the DMG has the Warforged from Eberon in it.

I agree with you though in liking what I have read so far. I, personally, enjoy Pathfinder and 3.5. My biggest complaint is the combat, there is far too much going on to keep track of it all. This version seems MUCH more streamlined. I've already placed my order with my FLGS to get all three hardcover books when they are released.

Eulalios

#6 Post by Eulalios »

3e combat drove me out of the game for a while. I'm not an attention hog and its really boring to watch someone gloat over a character's very prolonged combat round.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by MrHemlocks »

The only modification to our game is the addition of a critical hit damage location chart. Combat gets REAL boring when you just role for numbers without actually being hit at any location and never any 'special' damage applied. Can use the one below. Just the 1st two pages will do...all the other pages are not really needed.

The one thing I never liked about D&D was its often boring combat :(

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon3/vinife ... ble_2e.pdf

Eulalios

#8 Post by Eulalios »

critical hit locations .. from 2e ... loving this.

Eulalios

#9 Post by Eulalios »

Hey, if anyone's still tweaking character gen, I put up a homebrew Sailor background.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by MrHemlocks »

When you like to start? I have my character posted, along with a few other players, and ready to begin)

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by tumblingdice »

I'm all ready to go, I think. Are we handling our own dice rolls? I'm guessing that since we're all learning this system, we will do our own rolling, but you can't assume, you know. :)
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

Eulalios

#12 Post by Eulalios »

I would like to start this.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ybn1197 »

We'll be starting the game tomorrow. I do not normally post on the weekend, I just wanted to re-assure everyone that I am still here and the game is still a go.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by ybn1197 »

Just an FYI to everyone. WotC has updated the Basic Rules to version 2 and released the Basic Rules for DM's (which is not much more than a monster stat book). http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by tumblingdice »

Cool! Thanks for the tip.

Wishing I hadn't printed out the first version, though. Grrr...
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by ybn1197 »

I know the feeling. Lol. But I already have the PHB thanks to my FLGS so I don't even use it anymore.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by tumblingdice »

ybn1197 wrote:I know the feeling. Lol. But I already have the PHB thanks to my FLGS so I don't even use it anymore.
You WHAAAAAAAAT? :shock: What do you think of it?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by ybn1197 »

I'm still running this game, right?

Seriously though, it is good in my opinion. I haven't been this excited about D&D since they introduced the 2nd Edition. The best way that I can sum it up is they went back to 2nd edition and rebuilt the 3rd edition. Its a different fork from the previous versions. Now don't get me wrong, I like 3.5. I think the combat system was too intricate and the character creation leaned heavily in the min/max'ers favor but I liked it. I still play Pathfinder. I hated (or still hate to this day) 4th edition so I wasn't all at ease in getting this. The Starter Set calmed a lot of my concerns. The PHB just takes it to another level.
  • All the core races (except aasimar but the tiefling is there??) are back and they included Dragonborn (supposedly Warforged are an optional race in the DMG but I can not confirm that).
  • All the core classes from 3.5 are present plus the Warlock.
  • Multiclassing is available and handled the same way for all races as it was in 3.5.
  • Feats are still available but not in the same scope. Just like 3.5, you get an ability score improvement every 4 levels. But now, you can forgo an improvement and take a Feat instead. So Feats are no longer passed out like M&M's.
I don't know if I can say that it is worth the $50 price tag, that is a judgement call. What I can say is that I get a gamers' bonus of 20% all RPG's that I purchase at my FLGS and that it IS worth the $40 that I paid.
If you have any questions about it, I will happily answer them. I am very psyched about this edition. I can't wait to see the Monster Manual next month.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by tumblingdice »

True. You are. :)

Thanks for the rundown. I'm excited about this edition as well. I'm hoping to see an edition that every player from the last 40 years can look at and say, "Yup. That's D&D. Let's play!"

Beats huddling on the floor in a fetal position clutching the edition I grew up with because more recent editions didn't measure up. Not a good use of one's time or energy. :lol:

Eulalios

#20 Post by Eulalios »

So ... this is, indeed, an edition that I can look at and say, "yup, that's d&d, let's play."

How's the onset of autumn treating everybody?

Return to “Veranar (DnD 5e)”