I. Entry

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: I. Entry

#381 Post by AleBelly »

Tavari returns, an unhappy look on his face. "Olukun is not smiling upon us, my friends. The passageway goes mainly south for about 70 feet, then forks again. I heard multiple nasty kobold voices coming from both sides. I suggest we head westward and pray they do not follow. If worst comes to worst, maybe we can bait them into a room there..."

Tavari sighs as he reaches into his pack and munches on some dried food. "Oh, to taste fresh fish again..."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#382 Post by spanningtree »

The west sounds like a good route. I think these creatures lair in caves but strike out during the evening. There may very well be an exit nearby... Luken will whisper.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#383 Post by Starbeard »

Pardu sighs with no small amount of relief at the thought of leaving these shadowy creatures behind. 'Right. Westward, ho!'

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#384 Post by onlyme »

Kernodle nods, thinking about getting back to his life with the gold in his pack.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#385 Post by Alethan »

Abelard nods in agreement.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#386 Post by dmw71 »

Hoping to bypass the known unpleasantness that lies to the south, the group, led by Tavari, pushes west. The extra warmth of this western path, which actually leads northwest, is perceptibly warmer. The passage leads the halfling about forty feet, with Kernodle continuing his rearguard position.

Suddenly, a well concealed portion of the passage wall erupts open just as the dwarf is passing this hidden entrance. Two kobolds find their planned entrance into the passage blocked by Kernodle. The creatures appear to be as surprised as the party, leading to the conclusion that the trap was sprung moments too early and the dwarf was expected to be further along this western passage and where he was.
C12_002.png
C12_002.png (2 KiB) Viewed 957 times
A whistle is blown from within this secret cavern, presumably by one of the kobolds; it's piercing sound echoes throughout the many winding underground tunnels.

Actions?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#387 Post by onlyme »

Kernodle will advance toward the kobolds with sword pointing at them, demanding in their language that they surrender, and ready to jab into them if they attack.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#388 Post by AleBelly »

"I'll go a bit further to see if there's a better place to defend ourselves. Otherwise poor Kernodle will face all of these foul creatures on his own!"

With bow at the ready, Tavari will slowly scout ahead 15-20', ready to fire at any kobold that crosses his path.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#389 Post by Starbeard »

Pardu, looking back and forth with indecision—unable to leave the party's light to follow Tavari, yet too far up the line to help with the kobolds—finally throws his shield onto the back of his pack. Reaching out his hand and calling out to whomever: 'Toss me one of the glands! I'll help cover the retreat ahead! We can't stay here!'

If he cannot get a hold of one of the glands, Pardu will try to light one his torches as quickly as possible whilst following Tavari into the dark.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#390 Post by Alethan »

If Abe is unable to get an attack in at the kobold, then he will reach into the sack and pull out a gland to pass up to Pardu.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#391 Post by dmw71 »

Now that the initial surprise has worn off, Kernodle is forced into solo melee against the a spear wielding kobold. The second kobold, the whistle blower, also has a spear, but is unable to reach. Kernodle slashes down at the dog-like humanoid immediately in front of him and leaves a wide gash on the creatures arm, but also feels the tip of a spear pierce his armor and sink into flesh (-3). Both combatants are severely wounded, but able to fight on.

Abe, realizing he'll be unable to assist, hears Pardu's call for one of the fire glands and, being in possession of them, fetches one from his pack and hands it to Luken. The wounded warrior, stuck in the middle of the pack, serves a role and passes the gland to Pardu enabling him to casts light for the humans in the immediate area.
-- Project --
-- DM --

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#392 Post by AleBelly »

"Fellows! This way! The exit!" Tavari yells, glee in his voice.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by Starbeard »

Pardu will take all due haste in leading the others down the tunnel toward Tavari's voice in the distance, using the light from the gland to avoid running into anything.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#394 Post by onlyme »

Kernodle will backwardly follow them north, defensively retreating against the kobold. He can only hope his bodily sacrifice will allow the others to live.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#395 Post by dmw71 »

Tavari's announcement of discovering an exit from the maze of underground tunnels you've been navigation fills all with excitement and hope. Pardu is able to move freely, but slowly due to the limited illumination provided by the fire gland, and leads Luken and Abe about 30 feet northwest, where the passage turns sharply east. Kernodle is forced to perform a fighting retreat, and proves to be proves to be effective as he lashes out with his long sword again and fells the already bloodied kobold menace. He is quickly engaged by the second spear-wielding kobold, but manages to avoid any harm.
Exit.png
Exit.png (6.66 KiB) Viewed 916 times
Apparently, the whistle blow was an alarm of some sort as Kernodle hears the rapid approach of multiple reinforcements closing in on the group from the south.

Actions?
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#396 Post by onlyme »

Kernodle, adrenaline pumping, knows his life is seconds from ending if a dwarvian miracle does not occur, slashes one more time as he continues his backward dance with the remaining visible kobold.

hopefully, that would take care of him, if kernodle wins initiative... long sword [1d20] = 20 ; damage [1d8] = 5

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#397 Post by Starbeard »

Pardu will lead on until he can find a spot where the others can bypass him, fumbling with his equipment to arm himself with his sling.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#398 Post by Alethan »

"Hurry! Clear a path for the dwarf! Once we're in the open, we'll have better odds!"

Abelard urges the others to make haste in their exit of the tunnels.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#399 Post by dmw71 »

Pardu leads the human trio down this eastern tunnel which lasts for about 30 feet before turning north. Turning the corner, Pardu feels a noticeable shift in the air temperature and, at the end of this northern tunnel, a makeshift wall of vegetation is in place with sunlight filtering through it. Tavari is standing at the exit and excitedly waving them on. Noticing a slight alcove just after this northern turn, Pardu steps inside and allows Luken and Abe to pass while he retrieves and arms his sling. "Hurry! Clear a path for the dwarf! Once we're in the open, we'll have better odds!" Abelard yells, urging the others to hastily exit the tunnel.

Further back, still in a fighting retreat, the heavily wounded Kernodle ends the immediate threat by striking down the last kobold in the vicinity with a determined slash. He now turns and begins a full retreat to catch up with the rest of the party.
Exit.png
Exit.png (6.89 KiB) Viewed 904 times
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#400 Post by dmw71 »

Tavari is the first to exit and quickly assumes a defensive position a safe distance from the exit; an arrow knocked and aimed at the exit. Luken and Abe turn north and pass Pardu before exiting themselves. They, too, turn and wait a safe distance from the exit for their remaining companions to exit as well. Kernodle, in full retreat, makes haste down the eastern passage and spies Pardu hiding out in the alcove. "Move!" the dwarf exclaims; an order which is happily obeyed, and the human reaches the exit with the dwarf right on his heels.

Everyone has successfully...
Resurfaced.png
Resurfaced.png (7.67 KiB) Viewed 904 times
Resurfaced!
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Resurface (LL)”