1. The hunt ends?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 1. The hunt ends?

#161 Post by Pulpatoon »

Do level 0 spells (like, oh, say, Light) need to be prepared, or are they always ready?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#162 Post by mb. »

Yes, cantrips need to be prepared, but...
You prepare all of your cantrips every time you prepare spells without having to select them or count them toward your allotment of spells. (http://book.dwgazetteer.com/wizard_spells.html)

So you should have Light ready to go.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#163 Post by Spartakos »

Bedwyr gives a savage grunt of satisfaction at feeling his blade sink in, but the feeling dissolves instantly when the creature whirls on him, sweeping up a great paw to send him flying. He feels the claws scrabble against his mail before biting through, and the impact against his ribs is like a sledgehammer.

He manages to roll back to his feet, but he winces as he brings his sword back up, bracing for the creature's charge.

[1d10] = 9 owlbear damage
OUCH. How bad does it look like I hurt it? Also, does my armor protect me? Every little bit helps.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Pulpatoon »

Oelle yells, "I'm going to try an overexcitation of the ocular process!"

Flash! Cast Spell [2d6+2] = 8+2 = 10

Oelle aims to conjure a burst of light not just before the eyes of the owlbear, but, if he can, in the creature's eyes, lighting up the vitreous humors themselves!

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#165 Post by mb. »

Spartakos wrote:OUCH. How bad does it look like I hurt it? Also, does my armor protect me? Every little bit helps.
Yup, armour helps, so take 8 instead of 9. As for hurting it, you were surprised at how tough it's skin is, and know that you caused less damage than expected.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#166 Post by mb. »

Pulpatoon wrote:Oelle aims to conjure a burst of light not just before the eyes of the owlbear, but, if he can, in the creature's eyes, lighting up the vitreous humors themselves!
Maybe you'd like to reconsider?
Light Cantrip
An item you touch glows with arcane light, about as bright as a torch. It gives off no heat or sound and requires no fuel, but it is otherwise like a mundane torch. You have complete control of the color of the flame. The spell lasts as long as it is in your presence.

I'm guessing you don't intend to touch the owlbear's eye. ;)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Pulpatoon »

Gol'durnit.

Oelle casts around for a branch long enough to shove in the owlbear's face without getting too close to its claws.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#168 Post by KingOfCowards »

Boggs is unsatisfied with how his dagger penetrated the owlbear's thick hide, he draws his shortsword and engages the enemy. While the creature continues to claw at Bedwyr, he looks for a soft spot under its arm to place his shortsword where it will be sure to inflict damage.
Backstab: [2d6+2] = 10+2 = 12
On a 10+ choose two. You deal your damage+1d6 and You create an advantage, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it
Backstab Damage: [1d8] = 5 + [1d6] = 4 = 9

I am not sure if I am still waiting on a new action from Spartakos or not, but he is welcome to the +1 forward from my backstab result.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#169 Post by Spartakos »

Disregard
Last edited by Spartakos on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#170 Post by mb. »

Taking advantage of the owlbear's focus on Bedwyr, Boggs slides his short sword under its arm, putting a great deal of weight on it to penetrate its thick hide. The monster gives a great stinking exhalation, collapses in a heap, and breathes no more, it's wide eyes open and staring past Bedwyr.

We can ignore Bedwyr's last post, as it would've come after this.

As you all stand around the corpse, hearts slowly returning to a normal beat, you hear a squeaking roar, similar to that of the Owlbear but higher pitched and less powerful.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Pulpatoon »

Oelle: "Oh dear. Thinks that's its young?"

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#172 Post by KingOfCowards »

Boggs gives a quick nod to Bedwyr, silent admission that he wouldn't have been able to take the beast down if not for the warrior monopolizing its attention.

As his heavy breathing slows back down to normal, he'll shush the group and try to remain quiet in order to locate for where the squeak is coming from.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#173 Post by mb. »

As your calm returns, a rustling behind Bedwyr and another squeaking roar herald the arrival of three owlbear cubs. They tumble out of the bushes and surround their recently slain mother, squawking and growling. They're each the size of a small pony's body, and strangely cute, with the over-sized heads, eyes and paws of young animals. For the moment, they seem uninterested in you, nudging her mammoth body with their beaks.

What do you do?

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#174 Post by Spartakos »

Straightening up and wincing, Bedwyr laughs out loud at the sight of the young owlbears.
"They're actually rather amusing. Under other circumstances, I might try to catch one...many a mountebank would pay well for something like that for his menagerie. But all things considered, I say we hie ourselves away from here before they decide to see if we taste good...they're far from small, and the mother gave me as much attention as I want right now."

He backs away from the owlbears, living and dead. "Shame we can't collect that pelt, though," he says, pausing to collect the dead elf's sword and duffel, if he can. He gestures towards Neff. "Is he alive?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#175 Post by mb. »

While Bedwyr is talking, one of the owlbear cubs raises its head, turns its lamp-like eyes on him, and bellow-squeaks in a rather cute way. All three look up, and together begin an adorable charge at Bedwyr. Maybe they just want to play...

What do you do?

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#176 Post by Spartakos »

If I run, what are my odds of being able to climb a tree before they reach me?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#177 Post by mb. »

Running would trigger the Defy Danger move, and you'd add your STR.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#178 Post by KingOfCowards »

Are they charging full speed then? It doesn't sound nearly as adorable that way. I don't like killing the cubs, but if they're intent on harming us, I don't know if there is a better choice. We cannot stay in a tree all day (and I think they can climb trees for that matter).

Boggs follows behind with his shortsword drawn, once again willing to use Bedwyr as a distraction.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#179 Post by mb. »

They do look kind of adorable, just because they're cubs. But in the end they are owlbear cubs, so common sense tells you that the odds that they're out for blood, and capable of drawing some, are relatively high.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Pulpatoon »

Did Oelle find that brach he was looking for? If so, he lights it up and waves it in front of adorable murderbeasts.

Return to “The Balance Shifts... (Dungeon World)”