Character generation

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Character generation

#21 Post by Spartakos »

1.) It should perhaps be said that Bedwyr is lazy...by human standards. To humans, all elves seem somewhat indolent and laid-back, simply because they operate at a much longer timescale. An elf thinks nothing of procrastinating or taking a long time to do something, because he has decades to do it. If you ask an elf when he will get around to something, don't expect an answer more specific than "in the summertime".

Further, Bedwyr is lazy in the sense that he has no interest in doing things that he finds boring or unfun, even if they are necessary. But he will happily dedicate himself to things he enjoys. Ever since he was young, he has loved the song of swords, and would rather spend time sparring or fighting than doing things his elders deemed more important (things like "study" or "productive labor", or most especially for his father, "music practice").

He is a fine example of the phrase, "the man who does what he loves will never work a day in his life"...that has been his goal for a long time. Making money by his sword (which he can then use to pay people to do the jobs he finds annoying, like cooking/cleaning/etc) is a perfect solution to him.

2.) The elves of Bedwyr's home (Whitetree) live a largely communal life; as such, children are raised by the community, although parents do have more influence than the average elf. Bedwyr's mother (Elithea) died in combat while he was still a young child; she was a noted warrior among their people. His father (Llewellyn) was a very accomplished bard, who wished for his son to follow in his footsteps...but his son had very little interest in doing so, which made relations between the two very strained. This was not helped by Bedwyr's love of combat, which reminded Llewellyn of his mother...and how she died.

If asked, Bedwyr would give any number of reasons why he left (anything from a simple "I was bored" to "the food was bad" or "I'd already slept with all the elf girls in the village")...but in truth (which he is highly unlikely to share), it was primarily his relationship with his father that caused him to leave. It had already come to blows between them at times, and Bedwyr thought it best to leave before one of those spats turned lethal.

3.) What he considers his greatest fight was against Conallen Starhand, the finest swordsman of his village. One day, he challenged the man on some pretext, and they dueled for a considerable time. The fight ended when Bedwyr bore five wounds and could scarcely stand, with broken ribs and a scar he would bear all his days on his sword-arm...but he was laughing, because he had drawn his opponent's blood.

4.) He stole it from his father's study, before he left. It belonged to his mother, and had been handed down in her family for generations.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by mb. »

Before we proceed, here's a little summary of our misfit protagonists. I've made a few assumptions, so if anything doesn't suit you, let me know.

Bedwyr (elf fighter)
– indolent and laid-back (by human standards) like all elves
– son of famous warrior and bard from Whitetree
– stole his mother's sword from his father and fled to Urbem where he lives as a sellsword

Boggs (human thief)
– orphan, trained as a thief on the streets of Urbem by a gang of other orphans
– angry at the dishonesty of most people
– makes an easy living off of easy targets

Doctor Oelle (human wizard)
– bastard son of an academic, gifted with intellect from a young age
– born and studied medicine and magic at the Scholae Universitas in Urbem
– travelled out into the The Wood hoping to prove his theories and earn prestige

Dunwick (human bard)
– aged Urbem lamplight who always dreamed of being a bard like his grandfather
– saved a drunk nobleman from the tickermen
– lute mysteriously appeared and changed his life

If you're happy to continue in this vein for a little while, I have a few more questions...

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by Spartakos »

Absolutely! :)

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by mb. »

As I said, "misfits." And I mean that in the most loving way possible. ;)

So how do we get you all together? If you don't mind a suggestion, I think the moody pair (Bedwyr & Boggs) have travelled together for a while, as have the more cheerful pair (Doctor Oelle & Dunwick), and the four of you have only formed a group recently.

Firstly, how do Bedwyr & Boggs, and Doctor Oelle & Dunwick know each other? Please answer these questions:

Bedwyr: how did you save Boggs' life and why?
Boggs: what secret does Bedwyr know about you, and how'd he find it out?
Oelle: what secret do you hope to learn from Dunwick, and why do you think he knows it?
Dunwick: what inspired you to write a ballad about Oelle?

If you feel that these don't fit with your character concept, just pick another bond from your character sheet and apply it to your partner named above.

Go!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Pulpatoon »

Oelle: what secret do you hope to learn from Dunwick, and why do you think he knows it?

When Oelle was a child, his mother was out in the broader city when a plague ran through Basetown. When his mother did not return, Oelle was informed that she must be dead or held in one of the quarantines. The quarantines were eventually lifted, but still she did not return. Nearly three months later she finally appeared, in good health if haunted by something and bearing several fresh scars on her hands. She has never told Oelle what happened during that time, and has made it clear that she does not wish to discuss it.

Dunwick has a ballad about the Summer Plagues. They include references to a woman he calls "Molly Scribe." Oelle is convinced that this character is based on his mother, and that Dunwick must have known her during this missing period. He can't bring himself to ask about it directly, fearing that would betray his mother's explicit wishes. But he hopes that, if he spends enough time in Dunwick's company, the facts might emerge organically.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by KingOfCowards »

mb. wrote: Boggs: what secret does Bedwyr know about you, and how'd he find it out?
Boggs has, or had at one point, a long lost love. He even has a daughter by this woman, she would be about six years old now. After a long night of drinking, Bedwyr found him sobbing to himself in the dark, clutching a locket, his only keepsake of either of them. Bedwyr, himself half in the bag, didn't quite know how to react. So he sat down next to the vulnerable thief, and they stayed up until morning finishing a bottle of Lotuvian Brandy, swapping stories of their past. Boggs keeps this to himself, and only partly remembers talking about it. He also secretly has a soft spot for children, though he'd never admit to it.
Last edited by KingOfCowards on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by Spartakos »

mb. wrote: Bedwyr: how did you save Boggs' life and why?
"Hah! A funny story, that.

"We were in this dive called The Brazen Dragon, trying to...well, come to think of it, I don't even remember why we went there. It didn't matter, because pretty soon I was busy with a few of the girls, and Boggs managed to get a seat at a card game.

"The place was really a midden...rats, grimy cups, fellows with missing fingers, the whole bit. The girls were surpringly decent-looking, though most of them were addicted to djinn-dust. I couldn't afford them, but I've found there is a fair bit of latitude in what most of them will do before coins really need to change hands. But the most astonishing thing was that they served this really excellent mead...thick and sweet, and not even that expensive. I really don't think the bartender knew how good it was, or he'd have charged more.

"So I had several cups of that, and by then the girls had realized I wasn't going to buy any of them, so I wandered over to see how Boggs was doing. He had a reasonable pile of coins in front of him, and I could tell his fellow players weren't happy about his winning, because they all had expressions like his.

"I was fairly drunk, so I hardly think I can be blamed for what happened. When he cleaned out that big sailor with the Jotunlander braids, I just asked innocently enough why he played cards when he was so bad at it. But that was enough to make him angry, and he said something about cheaters and what happens to them...I don't recall the exact words, but it was hardly complimentary. Boggs, being his usual self, answered with some comments of his own which were far from courteous. Things proceeded in a downwardly direction from there, socially speaking.

"There was a substantial amount of fisticuffs involved, and maybe some furniture...but when that little gutter-rat--I think he might have had some goblin blood?--pulled a dagger and tried to rearrange some of Boggs's anatomy, I thought it a rational response to involve my own blade. I relieved him of his knife--and his arm, I was a bit hasty--and then Boggs thought it a good time to make a hasty departure from the establishment. Can you believe it? I would have been arrested! For doing a public service.

"At any rate, that's how I saved his life...though he'd say I was the one who got him into that scrape in the first place, so it shouldn't count. And for that matter, he doesn't find that story nearly as funny as I do..."

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by mb. »

While we're waiting for Dunwick's answer...

A woman named Onde is very important to each of you...

Now that we've met everyone in our party, I have the same question for each of you: what is Onde like, and why is she important to you?

Build upon the answers given by anyone before you, and tell your story with Onde. Your connection can be whatever you like: financial, familial, friendly, romantic, etc. Describe her (how you see her) and feel free to include other interesting places and people as well.

Go!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Pulpatoon »

Onde sells the most remarkable cheeses. She is a handsome, independent woman of middle years, who lost her husband over a decade ago and has felt no particular urge to replace him.

Onde's grandfather is the first person Oelle healed, completely on his own. It took several weeks to oversee his recovery, during which time Oelle lived under the cheesemonger's roof as much his own. Onde's earthy vivaciousness was in stark contrast with his mother's character, and he formed a powerful affection for her, somewhere between filial devotion and attraction.

Onde was grateful for the extraordinary care Oelle provided for her grandfather, and developed a maternal protectiveness for the awkward young medical student. The old man died peacefully in his sleep, a year later.

Onde will always have a heaping charger of cheese and bread and a patient ear for Oelle as he vents the complex and inscrutable problems of an academic researcher.

jbinc
Runner
Runner

#30 Post by jbinc »

How about something to do with him proving strength of intellect over strength of muscle or blade. (Perhaps there was a previous encounter when we were both out in the wood, and Oelle's quick thinking saved our lives?)

A woman named Onde is very important to each of you... what is Onde like, and why is she important to you?

Onde's former husband - the one she's got no intention of replacing - was a rival of Dunwick's in their earlier years. Dunwick beat him to the punch in getting a prominent lamplighter's contract that left Onde and her husband in sore financial straights (until the cheesemongering took off, at least.) This is all going back decades, but then again some old wounds never fully heal.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by mb. »

Sorry guys, I think I should've been a bit more transparent about where I was going with the Onde thing. Let's rewind and start over...

A woman named Onde has disappeared from Urbem. Who is she to you and why are you trying to find her?

If you think it fits Joel, Oelle's story may still stand.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by KingOfCowards »

"You talking about Onde, the cheesemonger? Acourse I know her. Plenty of thieves known Onde. And her grandfather, the locksmith. That's juss a fancy name fer a safecracker. Where d'you think he learned it from. He was a notorius crook, like us back in his day. After she lost her husband, her grandfather set her up while she was still trying to support herself. Her shop was a front for us thieves. She'd hide the merchandise until we found a fence, and then took it out folded up like it were cheese. I've been in her shop dozens of times. You think I'm in there buying fancy cheese. Sure it's been a while since I seen her, but she'd remember ol' Boggs. She were a clever girl, I always liked her. She didn't take no lip from us rats. Now that she's gone missing, I got feeling she ran into a bit of trouble. I figure I owe it to her granddad to make sure she's alright."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Pulpatoon »

mb. wrote:If you think it fits Joel, Oelle's story may still stand.
Yeah, I'll leave mine as is. It certainly sets Oelle up as someone who would want to find Onde if there was any chance she was in trouble.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by Spartakos »

(Hrm...I wrote most of this before Dunwick and Boggs added their piece...but with a little editing, I think it still fits)

While hot pincers could not compel him to admit it, Bedwyr's upbringing in his small village was actually quite provincial, compared to Urbem...the city was a radically different environment, and he was lost when he first came to it. In some ways, he enjoyed this...so many new things to experience! But he had quite a rough time before he got used to the city, as there was so much he was unfamiliar with.

Within a week of being in the city, he was essentially penniless, having been robbed of some of his possessions and having pawned others, though of course he kept his weapons. He was too proud to beg and not worldly enough to steal, and he hadn't yet learned how to make a living as a bravo and guard (though he had the skills, the idea of 'finding a job' was utterly foreign to him). He had come perilously near to being picked up by the law a few times, at least once for violating strictures he wasn't even aware of.

He ran across the woman by happenstance, who was being given a rough time by one of the strongarms who had drifted up from basetown. While it was none of his business, on a whim he stopped to 'assist' her...he mainly wanted to vent a few frustrations, so he took them out on the hapless thug, sending him on his way with various bruises and some broken fingers. He was astonished when the woman rounded on him, giving him some sharp words about how she could have handled it without the 'needless violence'. After she was done lecturing him, she looked him up and down and asked if he wanted something to eat. To his further astonishment, he said yes.

While he maintained a pretense that this was an idle acquaintanceship and not charity (and Onde graciously allowed him to do so), Bedwyr found himself stopping by her shop periodically over the next few weeks, to talk and eat a bite of cheese (and bread, and sometimes an apple or a hunk of cold ham). He was surprised that she seemed to know a lot of underclass folk, and didn't scorn them. She helped him get his first employment (one of the gangs needed some quick muscle...it put coin in his pocket, at least), and it was actually through her shop that he first met Boggs.

After a time he became as comfortable in the city as he was in the forest...but every so often he still stopped by to check on her (always claiming to just 'happen to be in the neighborhood') and share a little conversation. Now that he is a veteran city-dweller, he often jibes her good-naturedly for the way she always tries to see the good in people...but in truth, he remembers Onde as the first human who showed him any kindness.

One day when he stopped by, she wasn't there...and despite his show of unconcern, this troubles him considerably...

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by mb. »

You've all decided for your own reasons to find Onde. Following the clues found in the wreckage of her cheese shop, and the word of witnesses who wish her well, you've deduced that she was transported out of the city through the Sunset Gate by a gang of human ruffians.

In the taproom of The Jolly Owlbear, a spacious wayhouse about a day's walk beyond the walls of Urbem, your two groups (Bedwyr & Boggs, Oelle & Dunwick) met. Through casual conversation you were all surprised to discover that you have the same goal! Of course you decided to pool your resources and find her together.

Please choose a bond from your character sheet, and apply it to one of the men you just met, e.g. Boggs can choose Oelle or Dunwick. Keep in mind that you've only known each other a couple days.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by KingOfCowards »

Doctor Oelle knows incriminating details about me.
Although they never exchanged pleasantries, Boggs and the doctor do recognize one another from the time when Oelle was staying to care for Onde's grandfather. The doctor happened to catch Boggs stashing a body of one of the Tickermen in an alley out behind Onde's shop. It's one thing to have the law after you, but quite another if the Tickermen know you've taken out one of theirs. Boggs is sure Oelle recognizes him, but hopes the doctor has enough sense to keep his mouth shut about that incident.

Broke the rules somewhat when you say characters have just met. But I thought the backgrounds left room for a chance meeting, even though they were never formally introduced.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Pulpatoon »

It has been established that Oelle thinks Dunwick has information Oelle would like to possess, regarding his mother's missing period.

Oelle hopes that Bedwyr also has information he needs—namely, the location of the most ancient grove in all the Wood, a place sacred to elves, and essential to Oelle's investigations. The elves are fiercely protective of this grove.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#38 Post by mb. »

KingOfCowards wrote:Broke the rules somewhat when you say characters have just met. But I thought the backgrounds left room for a chance meeting, even though they were never formally introduced.
No problem at all. There is of course every chance that all of your paths crossed at Onde's at least once. Read "just met" as "just established a reason to do something together".

jbinc
Runner
Runner

#39 Post by jbinc »

Boggs doesn't trust me, and for good reason.

Boggs and I might not have formally met before, but it doesn't take a genius to work out I'm that 'bloody lamplighter' who gazumped her husband all those years ago. And, even if I don't admit it to myself, he's right to mistrust my intentions. I'm not looking for the cheese-lady out of justice - it's more a sense of guilt she'll bad-mouth me in every taproom in the city before my career has even taken off!

Since we've already established it and it's another of my bonds anyway, I've also added "I'm writing a ballad about Oelle".

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#40 Post by mb. »

Since we've already established it and it's another of my bonds anyway, I've also added "I'm writing a ballad about Oelle".
Yes, these questions were bonds. Just in case that wasn't clear:
Please, based on your answer to your question below...
mb. wrote:Bedwyr: how did you save Boggs' life and why?
Boggs: what secret does Bedwyr know about you, and how'd he find it out?
...note a bond on your character sheet. So:

Bedwyr: Boggs owes me his life, whether he'll admit it or not.
Boggs: Bedwyr knows one of my secrets.
Oelle: Dunwick is keeping an important secret from me.
Dunwick: I am writing a ballad about the adventures of Oelle.

Bonds are one of the main ways you'll get XP, so please do note these down, and the new ones we're still developing.

Return to “The Balance Shifts... (Dungeon World)”