Part 3: Ill met at first light

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Part 3: Ill met at first light

#401 Post by zebediah »

Guys, I would say we burn all this stuff down. If you prefer to try the other tunnel first that is fine to me but eventually we'll need to get rid of all this spore-things.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#402 Post by PyroArrow »

zebediah wrote:Guys, I would say we burn all this stuff down. If you prefer to try the other tunnel first that is fine to me but eventually we'll need to get rid of all this spore-things.
Tokioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius [AC: 12 HP: 2/5]:

"Ok, i don't mind tha' either, just find a more efficient way, so that we are not chokin' & gettin' hurt by spores!"
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#403 Post by KingOfCowards »

"Cough...cough...Is it worth trying another fire?"

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#404 Post by zebediah »

We'd have to get everyone out, then I'll throw some oil around, leave a trail and light it from some distance. How does that sound?

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#405 Post by PyroArrow »

zebediah wrote:We'd have to get everyone out, then I'll throw some oil around, leave a trail and light it from some distance. How does that sound?
"Sounds like a good plan!"
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :

Player:

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#406 Post by mb. »

Bürd tugs his beard, "if'n yer doin' that, we might as well leave it all as 'tis. Fire 'n' smoke'll make th'room even more impassable than th'spores lad."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#407 Post by Pulpatoon »

Has consensus formed around a plan?

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#408 Post by PyroArrow »

I am not sure but i see 3 plans of action:

1) Let the already burning fire, burn out then proceed (do we have to trek through the fungal spore room first though)?

2) burn out the fungal spore room as well now using the plan to leave a trail of oil into the room.

3) Simply, leave, set up camp nearby & come back later after wounds are healed & go from there.

Player:

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#409 Post by mb. »

I see slightly different options:

1. Circle back to the spherical fungus room we burned out. The smoke *may* be cleared out, and we could proceed past that room.

2. Clear a path through this room by throwing rocks to pop the spore balloons. Fire isn't an option really - we're underground with zero air movement, so we'd quickly be smoked out, just like before. Besides which, this looks like a room that might have some interesting clues in it, if we don't burn them up.

3. Forget about closing the circle and go back to that tunnel on the right and see where it leads.

What's everyone think?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#410 Post by mb. »

"Put simple, we're wantin' across this room." Bürd tightens his wrappings, making sure there's no gaps, "so the simple solution is you lads back a ways away, I'll run through t'other side, kickin' all th'spore balloons I kin. I'll be goin' fast ahead a'all the clouds, an' you lot'll be safe aways down th'tunnel. We all wait fer them clouds t'settle, an' we kin jes walk through, aye?" He jerks his head back down the tunnel, and tightens his grip on his axe...

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#411 Post by mb. »

"A course, yer a sprightlier lad than I, Jonas." By his eyes, it's clear Bürd is grinning.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#412 Post by KingOfCowards »

It sounds risky, but I am not the one taking the risk. So Simon nods, though his eyes show some apprehension. He will back off far away from that room, still covering his face and dragging Marcus with him. Then hope to see his friend come back soon after the dust has settled.

If one spore gives us 1d4 damage, I don't know the damage of all the spores. Pulpatoon has been kind with awarding some damage reduction, but I find it unlikely you would get out of this unscathed. A few unlucky rolls and you may be as bad off as Marcus.

Speaking of which, can Marcus be fed goodberry's? I believe he is unconscious so it wouldn't work all that well. But if he comes to, Simon will try to feed him some.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#413 Post by Pulpatoon »

If you smoosh a goodberry up, it should be easy enough to feed it to Marcus with him aspirating or anything. Maybe... let's make it a CON + 10 check, so there is a small chance of him choking.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#414 Post by zebediah »

I see your point Burd but I believe if we're approaching it that way then we're probably safer if we try to hit them from a distance as you just did. I see Simon is nervous about this and so am I. If you fall to the effects of the spores in the middle of the room we'll be back at the same situation we just overcame, maybe even worse. I will help you throwing rocks, just let me get some cover to protect me while the others leave. This will take longer but it's probably safer.

If everyone agrees with that Jonas fetches back the cloack an wraps himself with it.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#415 Post by mb. »

"Aye, as y'wish. As long as we're gettin' on with doin' somethin' I'll be happy as the king in 'is treas'ry!" When everyone's ready, and Jonas and he have gathered a goodly pile of stones, Bürd will start throwing.

Not sure how you want to handle this Pulp - we'll just keep throwing until we achieve our aim, but maybe a DEX roll to see how long it takes? Bürd throws stones! [1d20-1] = 7-1 = 6

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#416 Post by PyroArrow »

Gizzy finds something to cover his mouth & nose with & backs-off.

Player:

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#417 Post by Pulpatoon »

I'll take one DEX check from everyone throwing things, just to see if anything extremely good or bad comes of it.

What exactly are you throwing and where are you getting it?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#418 Post by mb. »

I was assuming that in a roughly hewn tunnel there'd be some stones lying around, but if necessary I guess we'll go back and scavenge rocks/bricks from the half constructed wall.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#419 Post by Pulpatoon »

The tunnel is very dark, and further obscured by smoke, humidity, and spores, but from what you can see, it is not hewn. The walls are moist earth, fungus, and roots. Lotsa roots. If you went picking around, you could probably find rocks in the earth.

The half-constructed wall provides a ready source of fair-sized stones. They're heavy enough that you won't be winging them to the far reaches of the chamber.

Okay, I have a DEX roll from Bürd. Let's see one for Simon.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#420 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon will not throw the rocks. He is staying a good deal back after having such a tough time with the spores. We're talking three consecutive 4's bad luck

Return to “Adventure 1: Death Comes to Herebury”