Action thread 1 - the departing

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action thread 1 - the departing

#121 Post by rredmond »

Dawning of day 5 you are able to get an early start, get the DAMs, Eyman, Ancor and Rosin situated about a 15 minutes from the giant. The party then stops about 5 minutes or so before there. It doesn't take Till much more than 15 minutes to catch the squirrel on the ledge, without too much noise and the giant isn't disrupted. There were easily three or four seen moving south along little ledges and niches in this side (the eastern side) of the pass. He is flighty and distractible, but once the spell is cast, quite cooperative, replies in red:

A. Questions for Mr. Squirrel:
It's Patterstone actually

1. How many giants live here?
By the small forest, isn't one enough??!!
2. (If more than one) How many and where are they? Do they live close by?
He's the only one we've ever seen.
3. Are there any other large or dangerous creatures about?
All of them. But not too many.
4. Have you ever seen anyone like us or him (points at Yosef) with that giant?
I don't think so, he's the only one.
5. Have you ever seen any animals with the giant?
[chuckles]Nope, he's crazy.
6. Does the giant have any friends?
Crazy I tell ya, even ate Crazy Eddie. [shakes his little squirrel head in furry disbelief]Nobody would be friends with him.

Figure this takes about 2 minutes, with trying to keep Patterstone on track. You have a full 6 minutes left on the spell. I figured stopping 5 minutes out was about as safe as Till would think. Let me know if you'd want some other distance; keeping in mind the pass is quiet, but you are covered by wind noise and etc. Not that the wind is blowing hard, or even deafening. But it provides a decent enough white noise effect at this distance. You're pretty sure coming from the North it would be an advantage to the giant.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#122 Post by Alethan »

"Well...," Till whispers, "It looks like we might be fighting just the one giant. Can anyone else think of anything to ask Mr. Patterstone before he moves along his way?"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#123 Post by migellito »

Jeloon looks distracted. "I.. can't think of anything else to ask."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Argennian »

Yosef looks from Till to Jeloon and back again, nodding a personal understanding to himeslf while lifting one eyelid. He whispers back in kind. "Yes, I too am happy there is only one. I can think of nothing else to ask. Now if our little friend can be convinced to draw the giant's attention and lead him out of his nook, we can ambush him. Till, are you planning on hitting him first or waiting until we loose our arrows upon him? Jeloon and I can take separate sides of the canyon. Van can move to a position where he can intercede if the giant charges us or he can back you up. If Jeloon and I can get some good shots in, we should be able to tip the odds in our favor. Once melee is initiated, we must all close to support each other. I will wish all of us luck now. I am ready."

Yosef has his bow to hand and prepares to move out when Bruard gives the signal.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#125 Post by migellito »

Jeloon nocks an arrow and nods.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#126 Post by Alethan »

Till thinks for a moment, "I think maybe the best course of action would be to get you two into the canyon, far against the left wall and just to where the giant might see the movement of the first person from his position. In the mean time, I'll sneak back up behind the alcove and stay under complete cover using some boulders and rocks in the area to remain hidden. When either the squirrel or your actions draw him out, I'll wait for a round of arrows before I check to see if he is in position for a sneak attack. Once you see he has his back to the area just before the alcove, hold off on your archery and I'll get him from behind. And let's hope I can get a good hit in!"

If everyone agrees to that, then Till will begin making his way back to the alcove, in complete silence.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Argennian »

Yosef nods to Till and then Jeloon. He then looks to Bruard and acknowledges his readiness. The elf nocks an arrow as well and prepares to move forward.

As soon as Bruard employs our animal associate, Yosef will make his way along the far wall with Jeloon as stealthily as possible.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#128 Post by migellito »

As soon as our rodent operative goes into action, Jeloon makes for the left wall as stealthily as possible, just short of line of sight on the giant.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#129 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard nods back that he is ready. He speaks to the squirrel one more time "Now, little friend, run off and pass the giant... my friends and I will protect you if he comes after you. Have no fear!"

Bruard releases the squirrel.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by rredmond »

OOC: I'll assume that Van heads off with his spears and Yosef and Jeloon. Just let me know if I'm wrong.

Till get's into position, knowing the alcove all too well by now. Yosef, Jeloon and Van head off to their spot across the pass to be ready for missile fire. Then Bruard releases the squirrel. "No worries," says Patterstone as he takes off down the center of the pass.

As soon as the giant hears the squirrel his head shoots back up. When he spies the squirrel running he grabs a thick tree branch at his feet, screams something in giantish and runs full tilt out of the alcove toward Patterstone.

I think we did so already, but the "weapon in hand" bonus for missile weapons to initiative applies as per the OSRIC rules: top of page 121.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#131 Post by migellito »

initiative [1d6] = 3

I don't have a dex bonus for missiles.

I'll fire an arrow at the giant's back as soon as I'm able.

[1d20+2] = 9+2 = 11

That's AC6 without any range mods. If he's facing toward myself, Yosef and Von, that will be an AC8.

Here is my second shot..
[1d20] = 3
Oh man...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#132 Post by Alethan »

Till will stay hidden under full cover until after the first round. At that point, he'll keep an eye out for the opportune time to strike from behind, secure in the knowledge that everyone else is aware he will attack from behind after the first round and as soon as the giant presents his back to him.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by rredmond »

Clarification for the missleers: You are about 40' from the alcove opening, just out of it's line-of-sight, and the giant heads out after the squirrel who books straight up, then across the pass to gain the pass-walls asap. Thus at this point the giant does present (mostly) it's back to you, though, for at least now, it's side is presented to where Till might come out. I know Till is waiting, and this will soon change if the giant get's hit and heads your way. (Thanks migellito!)

Spear is just out of short range, but both bows are good.

You notice too that right after this bend the pass quickly starts to widen.

I'll just wait Yosef's actions and then move on. Thanks!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Argennian »

Yosef is ready with nocked arrow when the giant comes into sight. He slowly releases his held breath as he lets fly his first arrow.

1d20+2 = 22

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=1827

1d6 = 2

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=1828

As soon as he's able, he'll let fly with his second arrow.

OOC: A Twumper! :P Does this mean it's a critical hit? Do I need to roll anything else for this, Ron? Not sure if we have surprise and if so for how many segments, but Yosef will also fire another arrow as quickly as he can!

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Argennian »

Yosef immediately draws and fires a second arrow as soon as he's able:

To Hit:
1d20+2 = 15

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=1829

Damage:
1d6 = 4

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=1830

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by rredmond »

Arrows and spear fly. Jeloon curses her ill luck loosing arrows a little too quickly for they fly wide. Yosef, imbeds two arrows directly into the giant causing it to stop and start to turn, though Van's spear, less well aimed than the first arrow, but heartily thrown finds it's target.

The giant whirls around, roars a challenge and starts to run full speed over to the three who he can now see.

The squirrel did a good job. The giant is a little more than 10' North of his alcove, running past the edge where Till is hiding will actually bring him a little bit closer, as he heads toward the others.

There would be time for yet another volley of arrows (no initiative needed) and then time to drop and draw (new initiative) if wanted.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#137 Post by Alethan »

Till will wait for the second round of missile weapons before sneaking behind the giant to attack him from behind.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#138 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard is standing his ground (as he has no missile weapons).
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Argennian »

"Let more fly, Jeloon. Quickly!" exalts the elf as he realizes they can get off more shots before the giant moves past Till's position.

Yosef steadies himself and quickly fires off another couple of arrows.

To hit: 1st arrow:
1d20+2 = 14 (hits ac4)

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=1842

Damage:
1d6 = 4

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=1843

To hit: 2nd arrow:
1d20+2 = 14 (hits ac4)

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=1844

Damage:
1d6 = 4

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=1845

OOC: Yosef's +2 bonus to hit is from his elf ability with a bow (+1) & his Dex bonus to missile attacks (+1); no range modifiers. (I wasn't sure if a separate bonus applied to our first volley for a rear attack) Yosef had some great luck regardless! :P

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#140 Post by migellito »

Jeloon mutters a curse in Orcish, grimaces, and lets fly two more arrows.

[1d20] = 8
AC9

[1d20] = 20
AC-3

She smiles as soon as the 2nd arrow leaves the string, feeling it's a perfect shot.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”