OOC VII

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC VII

#341 Post by thirdkingdom »

Alethan wrote:Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out who opened the door. Last I posted, Rhys was trying to make sure the floor tiles weren't trapped. Suddenly the door was open...
That was my fault. I've been referring to the original posts, and I think I transposed actions (I in other words, I read the old post saying you guys open the door and thought it was a recent post). I can retcon if needed; the floor's not trapped, BTW, nor was it originally.

At least, it's not trapped as far as you have discovered.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#342 Post by Wyzard »

We have done literally this exact same thing before, except we didn't shoot the spider. We probably would have set off any traps by now.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by thirdkingdom »

Wyzard wrote:We have done literally this exact same thing before, except we didn't shoot the spider. We probably would have set off any traps by now.
In fact, I have been copy-pasting previous posts, which is why I have been referring to the old thread. There are a few, minor differences, though.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#344 Post by Alethan »

I don't think we went in and opened the first door, did we? I thought it was just inside the door to the building.

In any case, one can walk through an area with traps and not set them off and then walk through that same area later and THEN set them off.

At least that is possible with traps I've seen; they don't automatically go off just because you are in their proximity.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#345 Post by Wyzard »

No, we opened the door to the room it was in. The pile of junk that might have been hiding treasure is why Severi got so fixated on this thing.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by thirdkingdom »

Okay, so it sounds like fighting withdrawal is the name of the game. I'll go ahead and roll that out this evening, and only post once y'all are outside/getting curbstomped.

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#347 Post by Atlictoatl »

Wyzard wrote:"Get that halberd up here and we'll see if we can provoke it into charging us."
To be clear, a halberd isn't a set vs. charge weapon. It's a Hook/Disarm/Deflect weapon. In retrospect, given the Weapon Mastery rules, it would have made more sense to gain proficiency in a set vs. charge weapon than a fancy maneuver weapon, since the character is going to be focused on sword skill, but I hadn't thought that through to that level when I selected my weapon skills.

~*~

I'm not entirely understanding either quite how initiative/movement/attack works, or the tactical positioning on the field. Is there a way for Tev to position himself so that his colleagues can shoot the spider when we open the doors, and when it comes back to close the doors, he'd both be within range and has the action to attack it with his sword?

I'm guessing the halberd might work better for this because of its reach, but it seems it might also not work for this because it always loses initiative.

~*~

With regards to the fighting withdrawal (in the event we do it again), I was planning on having Tev move backwards at the same rate as the slowest member, so that the spider could choose between at least two opponents and no one PC would be taking the brunt of the attacks (unless the spider was choosing to focus its fire).

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by thirdkingdom »

Atlictoatl wrote: I'm not entirely understanding either quite how initiative/movement/attack works, or the tactical positioning on the field. Is there a way for Tev to position himself so that his colleagues can shoot the spider when we open the doors, and when it comes back to close the doors, he'd both be within range and has the action to attack it with his sword?
So, Dark Dungeons really doesn't go into order of actions very much. It does say the following, on page 132:
Once everyone has announced their actions for the round, everyone rolls for initiative, in order to see who manages to complete their actions first.
That implies to me that initiative literally determines who gets to act before anyone else. But outside of that, it really doesn't discuss much beyond the order in which things occur. However, the rules also seem to imply that characters really can't break up their actions. In other words, most characters can move and attack in a round. I interpret the rule as saying that once a character moves, for instance, even if she doesn't move the entire distance she is able to, she cannot move again after an attack. Likewise, a character cannot attack, move and then attack.

I'm still getting used to this. B/X handles it differently, in that it breaks actions into phases (movement, missile, etc.) and everyone doing one of those things does it in their phase, using order of initiative to resolve it, although the implication there is -- IMO -- that everything essentially happens at once during a round. The initiative order and phases is simply there to make resolution easier, and does imply that everyone moves, then casts spells, then fires missiles, then engages in melee. Does that make sense?

I find that I actually prefer the B/X interpretation of initiative.

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#350 Post by Atlictoatl »

Thanks for the explanation, tk. I suspect the decision over whether to add a B/X element will rest on how tactically complicated we tend to get. It seems using a Fighting Withdrawal in order to control the spider in the corridor, getting hits in and distributing wounds between more than one character, is more than can be accomplished in DD. But if we don't tend to attempt that sort of crowd control (to borrow from computer gaming), we might be fine without a system that breaks down resolution.

Given all this, I don't have a better suggestion over taking advantage of the spider's door-slamming pattern.

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#351 Post by Atlictoatl »

Quint has a sling, but he hasn't been making ranged attacks in this combat. Is that due to a lack of declaration from Koren (who's at the gaming convention), or that not being on TK's radar?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by thirdkingdom »

Atlictoatl wrote:Quint has a sling, but he hasn't been making ranged attacks in this combat. Is that due to a lack of declaration from Koren (who's at the gaming convention), or that not being on TK's radar?

A little of both. I've essentially been holding him back, so as to not be targeted without Koren being present.

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#353 Post by Atlictoatl »

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by thirdkingdom »

I'd like to clarify initiative a bit. I haven't mentioned it in a while, but it is in the House Rules thread (viewtopic.php?p=37608#p37608). I'll repost it from the rulebook, though (p. 132):
A player who declared a statement of
intent before the monsters did gets
+1.
► A player who waited to see what the
monsters were doing before declaring
a statement of intent gets a –1.
► Halflings get +1.
► All characters add their Dexterity
Initiative Modifier to the initiative
roll.
► Some spells (e.g. Statue) give bonuses
or penalties to the initiative roll.
► Some monsters get a bonus or pen-
alty to their initiative roll.
If you look at the Rolls thread, where I calculate initiative, you'll see that I automatically add 1 to all the PCs' rolls, since you guys are declaring before the monsters do. You can declare a conditional -- Belbo waits for the monster to charge, then attacks -- but I'll be applying a -1 penalty to initiative. In the situation IC, someone could declare you're firing at the enemy at the same time another PC charges in. If you flatly declare that, you get the +1 to initiative. If you win, then great. You fire at the monster before your buddy charges in. If your buddy wins initiative, however, he charges in and you fire, and risk hitting him.

Alternatively, you could declare that you will fire only if your buddy isn't in the way, in which case there's a -1 penalty to initiative. Also, since I don't want to have to wade through a bunch of conditional statements, the effect of this is that the PC doesn't fire but can't do anything else.

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#356 Post by Atlictoatl »

Thanks for initiative clarification.

I'm watching the Rolls thread. Could you clarify how you're applying Skilled weaponry (bonus vs. AC and deflect)? I've no criticism, I'm just wanting to understand.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#357 Post by Wyzard »

Alethan wrote:Not sure why the mage would get the holy water (not a potion)... Maybe give that to Semele? The scroll is most likely a clerical one, as well. Won't do the magic user any good. Who is going to carry the statue? Seems like it might be valuable. We'd probably want the wagons again if we want to haul the construct to Threshold.

Rhys will take one of the diamonds to hold for the party.
I genuinely do not care about the details, so long as we don't accidentally leave any valuables behind. I typically figure that assorted items and coins should go to the PCs that don't have to watch encumbrance so carefully, and gems should go to heavily armored characters.

How much is that statue going to weigh?

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#359 Post by Wyzard »

I apparently cannot read. The diamonds are worth 4k apiece, not 4k total. That won't level anyone but the MU, but it's not a bad haul at all.

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#360 Post by Atlictoatl »

Wyzard wrote:I apparently cannot read. The diamonds are worth 4k apiece, not 4k total. That won't level anyone but the MU, but it's not a bad haul at all.
In a bizarre 'art meets reality' twist, now your diamond is worth 1K, and the others are worth 5K each. The power of belief is strong. ;)

Return to “In Search of Adventure”