Strategy thread

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Strategy thread

#201 Post by ToniXX »

I can take on a detect magic in place of one of the two light spells, or one of the four CLWs. I have a feeling we're going to need more of the latter so... :o
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:I can take on a detect magic in place of one of the two light spells, or one of the four CLWs. I have a feeling we're going to need more of the latter so... :o
I'd have to agree and would vote to have Bruard put the Detect Magic in place of one of his Light spells! Hoping we won't need them but you never know!

Going forward: I think that we should untie Wergrim's bonds once we land via our raft on the stone island and prepare to ascend the stair. We can have the dwarf go first, with Yosef staying very close to him and giving him the exact instructions once we all agree on the plan.

Thoughts??
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:
Argennian wrote:Edit: does Bruard have any CLW spells left? Was pretty sure that we'd all get back 1 hp for resting the remainder of the day/evening but thought it wouldn't be a bad thing if some/most of us had full hit points for when we have to battle that Wood Giant King fella...
Yes, Bruard has 4 CLWs at the moment. Just say the word and he can cast one or more on anyone that needs it.

Yosef would want all of his mighty 10 hit points back, so would ask for Bruard to cast one of his CLW on him before he rests and re-ups his spell roster!

Ron: not sure if everyone would have gotten back an additional 1 hp for resting the remainder of the day/evening, but even so, Yosef would like to be at full strength going in (as long as that's cool with Bruard and the other party members! :) )
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by rredmond »

Yosef needs protective magic... badly.

Yup, everyone got that extra HP. Which restored a whole 10% of your hit points! :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#205 Post by migellito »

I don't think we should have Weregrim tied up. It may be testing the bounds of his friendship (i.e. forcing another save, hehe)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by rredmond »

migellito wrote:I don't think we should have Weregrim tied up. It may be testing the bounds of his friendship (i.e. forcing another save, hehe)
Ha! Well done.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#207 Post by Alethan »

I'm good with keeping Wergrim untied (but still no weapons).

I'm not sure I followed the part about Yosef getting another CLW cast on him... He should be at full HP, right? If not, then he's at 9/10. If Argennian feels it necessary to get a CLW cast on him, then that's fine with me, but I'm of the opinion it should be held until later rather than used for one HP. Again, I think he's at 10/10 now, anyway, though.

(Unless, of course, Bruard still had spells available to him before we all went to bed, in which case, I'd hope he cast CLW on anyone who needed it. In fact, we should just make that a standing order. If Bruard still has any CLW spells available before we start our sleeping shifts, then he should cast them on whomever is injured.)

Does that put Till at 35/36 HP?

Bruard going with one light, one detect magic, and four CLW spells sounds great to me. I think Yosef should ready as many MM spells as he possibly can after readying Read Magic (if we're still doing that).

Ummm... Till is going to light the lantern. It's dark up there and I want to as much light as I can get. The Light spell only creates it in a 20' radius, whereas the lantern is a 30' radius. Plus, you can't light torches off of a light spell!

Other than that, I think that's all I can think of.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by rredmond »

I believe that these are correct as of the morning of the 13th day, barring any retro-CLWs on the 12th day:

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 34/36; Yosef - 9/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 39/40

If you believe otherwise let me know please.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#209 Post by migellito »

Ok, I think attach the hook and have Weregrim lift up while we pull. Or at least try that first and see if we can budge the lid.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#210 Post by ToniXX »

I'm wary about the glyphs on the helmet. Agreed that there is something tied to allowing the bearer to 'see', whether is be invisible creatures, infrared, etc. But the other odd glyphs 'mushroom powder', 'saffron', and 'fat', reminded me of material spell components, which may lead us to what the spell is. If that's the correct path, fat leads me to something that may explode/burn.

There are no bad ideas in brainstorming! :D

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#211 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote: Friends, I recognize the glyphs on the visor of this helmet. They are clerical symbols for 'eyes' or 'sight', while others represent 'mushroom powder', 'saffron', and 'fat'.
SAFFRON: Well... I happen to have a rather eccentric father who grows crocus along the southern side of their house. He collects and dries the stigmas and, I assume, uses them when he cooks (a rare occurrence, to be sure, but one that is always very methodical and precise... and now you know where Ethan gets his OCD from). Along with all of this has come several discussions (er... lectures?) of the flower as provided by said father.

Unfortunately, I didn't much pay attention to them. Aside from it being the most expensive spice (worth more than its weight in gold) on the planet, I recall it has some medicinal properties. Anticarcinogenic? (Is that a word, even??) Antiseptic? Something like that. What else do I remember? Hmmm... it's used for dyes. Bright yellow, like the sun. Umm... that's all I got.

MUSHROOM POWDER: Mushrooms are usually symbols of longevity in Chinese mythology (says the art history student who had a great opportunity to take four separate Chinese Art History classes in college from an actual Chinese Art History Professor from China who was an honorary professor at our school for a year).

FAT: Hell, you got me. Buddha was fat. :) He was good.

All I know is, if you put all three together, you have the start of a great risotto! :D Maybe it's a Helm of Cooking or some such thing...

Above all else, though, we should keep in mind that Bruard recognized these as "Clerical Symbols". That's probably not a bad thing. In any case, I would say the helmet is probably beneficial to the wearer as opposed to detrimental.

The REAL question is going to be, does the helmet adjust itself to the size of the wearer? Or do you have to have a big head to wear it?

Oh, something else to keep in mind... the Dwarven cleric was after a powerful magical item. The helmet showed the most magical power of all the items in the sarcophagus. I'd say he was after this. So if a dwarven cleric was after it, and the symbols on it are all of clerical origin, then maybe it has something to do with enhancing some clerical powers.

I say we give it to Bruard to try on and try out. :) Eventually... after more discussion, ToniXX. ;)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#212 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:Till picks up the sack, it's pretty light weighing about five pounds. To his disappointment... and amazement, he pulls out three bundles of 2' long sticks, each weighing about 20 pounds each.
Well... we know the sack holds at least 60 lbs with no problem and appears to weigh just 5 lbs. That's probably the main compartment, then? We have plenty of coins to test out the holding capacity of the main compartment and the side pockets. Just want to make sure we don't break it by putting too much in it.

No clue what the bundles of sticks do or are for.

OH, maybe they're like three collapsible Sticky Wickets! Say the magic words (who knows what those might be) and you instantly get a wooden stick servant with 2HD, 7 AC, blah blah blah to do whatever you want them to do... I guess a cursory examination of the sticks might tell us if they look similar to the sticks we've previously fought...

Depending on what we can find out, whoever takes the backpack might not get a HUGE amount of use out of it until we can figure out what the three bundles of sticks are for (because that seems to be the best way to carry them). But... anyone have any great desire for the backpack? Till thinks it would be fun to have, but, honestly, he's just really stoked about having a magical sword now! woot!

I hope it isn't smart and going to try and control me or anything...

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#213 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:
rredmond wrote:Till picks up the sack, it's pretty light weighing about five pounds. To his disappointment... and amazement, he pulls out three bundles of 2' long sticks, each weighing about 20 pounds each.
Well... we know the sack holds at least 60 lbs with no problem and appears to weigh just 5 lbs. That's probably the main compartment, then? We have plenty of coins to test out the holding capacity of the main compartment and the side pockets. Just want to make sure we don't break it by putting too much in it.

No clue what the bundles of sticks do or are for.

OH, maybe they're like three collapsible Sticky Wickets! Say the magic words (who knows what those might be) and you instantly get a wooden stick servant with 2HD, 7 AC, blah blah blah to do whatever you want them to do... I guess a cursory examination of the sticks might tell us if they look similar to the sticks we've previously fought...

Depending on what we can find out, whoever takes the backpack might not get a HUGE amount of use out of it until we can figure out what the three bundles of sticks are for (because that seems to be the best way to carry them). But... anyone have any great desire for the backpack? Till thinks it would be fun to have, but, honestly, he's just really stoked about having a magical sword now! woot!

I hope it isn't smart and going to try and control me or anything...

I'm thinking we should take the sticks, even if we don't know what they're for just now. But we ought to secure them so they cannot be animated while we're carrying them. I don't know if that's even possible, but storing them in the sack might 'block' them being able to be animated?

Till might not be the best choice for the backpack bearer, since he tends to scout ahead, check traps, etc. I don't know if any of us are near being encumbered, so don't have a better option, but that just popped into my head.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#214 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote: I'm thinking we should take the sticks, even if we don't know what they're for just now. But we ought to secure them so they cannot be animated while we're carrying them. I don't know if that's even possible, but storing them in the sack might 'block' them being able to be animated?

Till might not be the best choice for the backpack bearer, since he tends to scout ahead, check traps, etc. I don't know if any of us are near being encumbered, so don't have a better option, but that just popped into my head.
OR... picture this...

Till loads the main pack with 80lbs of gold and jewels. If there is any gold left over, he loads the two side pockets; otherwise, he starts using silver.

Then... Till dons said pack and scouts ahead, the rest of the party absolutely trusting in him to NOT run off with a 5lb pack filled with 120lbs of gold, silver, and gems.

*crickets*

Hello? This thing on?

*sigh* Fine... I agree with ToniXX. Like I said before, Till is pleased as punch with the short sword and perfectly magical-item sated for the time being.

I don't have a problem with taking the three bundles of sticks with us. And I agree they should probably go in the pack...

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#215 Post by ToniXX »

I was thinking more along the lines that Till might get ambushed or killed, not that he'd run off with the money... Although he is a chaotic neutral halfling thief... hmmm

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#216 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote:... Although he is a chaotic neutral halfling thief...
^^This^^

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#217 Post by Alethan »

Never fear, party members. Till would never do such a thing. :) When it comes to other members of the party, Till is Lawful Good. :roll:

(I know that's the eye-rolling emote, and it doesn't really fit, but to me it looks like he's innocently looking up... couldn't find one with a halo)

But the next elf, dwarf, hobgoblin, giant, or ogre they come across is going to be the how-magical-is-my-sword experiment for Till's shiny new sword.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by rredmond »

Like this:

I'll give you the stuff you have now:
the sword +1
the shield +1
the battle axe +1

Again, if there are any "special" abilities, you won't know until they manifest somehow.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#219 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:Like this:

I'll give you the stuff you have now:
the sword +1
the shield +1
the battle axe +1

Again, if there are any "special" abilities, you won't know until they manifest somehow.
Treasure thread has been updated. If you have any of these items in your possession, please update your character sheet accordingly.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by rredmond »

Oi, I did answer those questions about magic shield and such! :) Where's the pointy-up arrow smiley.
migellito wrote:That looks right to me. I think one of the hirelings had the magic axe?
At one point I believe Eyman had it, because he's an axe kiinda guy, but I thought it may have been taken back, so I wanted to check.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”