Chapter 9 : Where Evil Lurks

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Chapter 9 : Where Evil Lurks

#1 Post by Stonjuz »

Strongarm proudly shows the group this newfound access. No sewerman worth his salt would boast of the passage as being cleaned by his hand. Signs of decay are about. Bloodstained periodically, although no tissue can be found, perhaps a sign that the grythoks have been thru recently. The tunnels here have a hard, dry, dirt packed floor, although it is moist just beyond the broken barrier. The walls and tunnels are supported by wood beams. Twenty feet to the north lies a thirty foot pit section which looks similar to the one that Gilnes crossed by using an overhead pipe which is no longer anywhere in sight. To the east & west are passages which looks more like those resembling normal sewer, but each have new porticullis blocking access beyond them.
As the party scouts the pit ahead, movement can be detected. Hundreds of animated skeletal hands fill the pit.
They do not seem to be climbing out.

Sorry, but one last time for group marching order.....

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chapter 9 : Where Evil Lurks

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Strongarm looks around for good defensive positions if pursued by the archers. "I told ya I'd get ya in but now we need to decide is it stay and fight or run. If anyone needs any healing I can do so. How are you Doc for what you can do to help with any wounds? Still got plenty of supplies?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rukellian »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Strongarm looks around for good defensive positions if pursued by the archers. "I told ya I'd get ya in but now we need to decide is it stay and fight or run. If anyone needs any healing I can do so. How are you Doc for what you can do to help with any wounds? Still got plenty of supplies?"
The doctor examines the ground before, at first not believing his luck... So many well-maintained skeletal remains. Great for research purposes. But what is this, they are moving on their own? No, wait a moment... "I have supplies, yes, and I think we will need to be using them soon. Look." He points to the moving skeletal hands and faces the group with a grim look on his face. "The only magics that I know about that can do something like this would be the magics of a Necromancer. I think it is safe to say that there are... many in this place. If anything lunges at you, do not hesitate to smash or bat it away!" The doctor will crouch down and try to find a pair or two of hands that are not moving, and pocket them if he can for future bone structural research. 8-)

"They hold a command over the dead that far surpasses most of the mage's guild, even these... hands can be used as weapons if they so wish to use them as such."
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

GreyWolfVT

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Strongarm "You are correct Doc, if my education in the clerical means has taught me anything the undead are controlled by or at the least summoned by Necromancers. I might be able to turn them if my skill and concentration is in favor of my god."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by grey_starr »

*Benson remains rear guard, shield up to the "exit", walking more or less sideways*

DM: [1d20] = 14, [1d12] = 10, [1d10] = 3, [1d8] = 8, [1d6] = 2, [1d4] = 1
Grey Starr - Try my D&D name generators...

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by Majik »

Gilnes listens to the conversation between the Doc and the dwarf, noting the doctors interest in the skeletal hands,
"Sound advice Doc, if attacked by undead hands... smash them."Gilnes finishes with a friendly chuckle and a role of his eyes.

Next he examins the pit, noting the lack of a beam to use to cross. "Well, gentle men... how to cross this? Should we see if we can find a wooden plank from the rubble outside? Of course, I would do my best to cover you with my bow." The dashing elf says plainly noting the danger that idea suggests.

For the DM: [1d100] = 55[1d20] = 9[1d10] = 4[1d8] = 3[1d6] = 1[1d4] = 2
Everyday I'm hustlin, everyday I'm hustlin
Everyday I'm, everyday I'm, everyday I'm hustlin

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Strongarm looks at Gilnes smiles and says "Well we could do that or use the rumble I've made to fill it in. Or in this case I'd be happy to do both."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by wolfpack »

While the others look at the pit and talk cobbler will keep watch back outside the wall in his defensive position watching to see if any enemies try to come at them that way.

Let me know when you decide a course of action

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Strongarm grabs his shovel and begins shoveling the debris from the mess he made breaking through the wall into the pit.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rukellian »

The doctor, after having procurred a good set or two of hands for future study, will chip in his strength as well, helping move the debris by hand into the pit. Fezuul will keep a look out for any signs of attack while he does this.

[1d100] = 77 [1d20] = 18 [1d10] = 3 [1d8] = 6 [1d6] = 6 [1d4] = 3
Last edited by Rukellian on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by grey_starr »

*While keeping watch on their backs, wonders how long before they have filled it enough for the hands to get out*

DM: [1d20] = 14, [1d12] = 10, [1d10] = 3, [1d8] = 8, [1d6] = 2, [1d4] = 1 same roll as before since we are still waiting for the DM's update ;)

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Well we are throwing them into the pit I imagine it must be breaking and causing damage to the hands.

For the DM:[1d100] = 57[1d20] = 17[1d10] = 4[1d8] = 4[1d6] = 6[1d4] = 4

Strongarm continues his work.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Stonjuz »

As the first section of board hits the bones and bounces awkwardly, the party can estimate the hands to be 2 feet deep.lol hands 2 feet :roll:

Benson's concern about the bones reaching a point of escape is very real, but still in an infancy mode. No danger as of yet.

After Fezuul grabs a pair of hands, some skulls (4) contained in the pit, are shuffled to the surface attempting to bite the good aligned doctor. The first three miss completely, but the fourth is tossed in the human's direction, latching on tightly, for 2 damage to the doctor. Our hero drops the hands but now has a skull with lower jawbone intact about his arm.
skulls [1d4] = 4
[1d100] = 28 [1d20] = 7 [1d10] = 9 [1d8] = 3 [1d6] = 3 [1d4] = 3
[1d100] = 19 [1d20] = 10 [1d10] = 1 [1d8] = 1 [1d6] = 1 [1d4] = 3
[1d100] = 36 [1d20] = 6 [1d10] = 6 [1d8] = 6 [1d6] = 3 [1d4] = 3
[1d100] = 47 [1d20] = 20 [1d10] = 4 [1d8] = 5 [1d6] = 4 [1d4] = 4

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rukellian »

The doctor is shocked when the skulls fly out towards him! He manages to elude three of them, but the fourth sinks its teeth into his arm. He cringes in pain but dares not scream out loud. He tries to manually pry it off, the skull now having his full attention. He looks to his group members for assistance as three skulls are still on the loose, ready to bite!

[1d100] = 70 [1d20] = 4 [1d10] = 7 [1d8] = 7 [1d6] = 6 [1d4] = 3

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Stonjuz »

As Talaseka gets alittle closer to see if she can help, the bones all become increasingly active, all vying for a chance to attack the aura surrounding her.

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by Majik »

Gilnes raises an eyebrow as the doctor attempts to collect the remains of sacrificial humanoids. And his eyebrows go even higher as the doctor is bitten by an undead skull.
"Perhaps those who can... should attempt to ... what is the phrase ... turn, the undead?"
He says whilst looking to the fighters to help physically remove the skull.

For the DM: [1d100] = 43[1d20] = 8[1d10] = 2[1d8] = 6[1d6] = 1[1d4] = 4
Everyday I'm hustlin, everyday I'm hustlin
Everyday I'm, everyday I'm, everyday I'm hustlin

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Stonjuz »

Strongarm looks to his fingers, surprised that his divine turn ritual fails.
The pit is too far to jump and will take three rounds to traverse (30 feet)
Good aligned characters attempting to cross the pit suffer 1d4+4 attacks per round, and need a successful dexterity check to avoid falling due to the uneven floor.
That is unless ... some other plan is devised.

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Strongarm curses a bit then grabs his hammer and says "Hold still Doc." and swings at the skull that bit the Doc.

Hammer Time![1d20] = 12
For the DM:[1d100] = 62[1d20] = 17[1d10] = 1[1d8] = 4[1d6] = 2[1d4] = 3

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by grey_starr »

*Benson looks around for flat sheets of wood and such that can be used* If we can find some good sheets of something to throw over them in places to jump between... so they can not reach us on passing. Wood or blanket...

Return to “The Inn of the Unseen Servant - Greyhawk 2.5e”