Chp. 3: In the Caves of Chaos!

SlyFox
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chp. 3: In the Caves of Chaos!

#361 Post by SlyFox »

Razmus: Entering Cheers

The mage looks up at the tavern sign and chuckles softly. He is still shaken from having lost his entire party and brother and a glass of wine will do him good, so a little tune runs through his head as he walks in. Sometimes you need to go where everybody is insane. He finds a seat, staying close to the new party that has adopted him, and orders some red wine. He also announces to everyone that he has no money, but he looks mainly at Wulfhart since he should be buying this drink.
Life is that thing that gets in the way when you're trying to live.
DM - Pantheons, Cabals & Divulgence
Xerea, Barbarian Amazon - A People Divided
Gilgalore, Elf F/Th/MU - The Haunted Mines of Gomor
DesertFox, Tribal Fighter - Keep on the Borderlands

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#362 Post by Dizlexus »

Foracor The Fleet

Raises a glass and toasts Wolfie's wellness.

Foracor raises a key, a key found in the caves.

Tomorrow we see what this unlocks.

Foracor lets Bene in the establishment to see how quickly he can get kicked out.
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by AleBelly »

Wulfhart is unnerved. These strange folk are completely alien to a semi-barbarian from the woodlands. His nerves are no match, however, for his appetite for a tankard of ale, so he joins the others for a drink or ten.

doughx99
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#364 Post by doughx99 »

Niles enjoys the drink and good company while contemplating their next move.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#365 Post by MrHemlocks »

Albertus, understanding that some of the group will be taking in more than their share of spirits speaks up. "Before the lot of you get drunk, and again acting like fools, we need to decide what the next course of action will be. We now know that there is some sort of link between the caves and with those of this Keep, but we can not yet prove this to be true. I see no other course of action other than to rest up, no more than day or two, for we do not want the emptied caves to become restocked with creatures. Also, we can buy supplies before heading back along with a wagon and some hired help that will drive and guard the wagon when we are away within the caves."
Did the wagon come back with us, or did we leave it somewhere?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#366 Post by Grognardsw »

Father Jerome takes Wulfhart's 5 gold pieces. He looks askance at it, raises his hand up and down to indicate light weight, and says: "Customarily remove curse spells carry a heavier price. 100 gp is not uncommon. Have you or your companions more?"

In the tavern, Albertus reminds the party of part rumors and alleged conspiracies that he heard first-hand from Hamlin, the old thief, cleric and now hermit.
From Bene the goblin 

"Goblins in southeast caves. Orcs, hobgoblins in central and north caves. "Wizard boss and his creatures in west."

Caves
- A powerful Wizard lives in the Caves of Chaos and destroys all intruders.
- The evil cult in caves is said to have undead guardians.
- There are Orcs, Goblins and the like in great numbers in the caves.
- A beautiful maiden is lost in the caves, but she suffers from a terrible curse.
- There is also said to be a maze near the caves where you lose all sense of direction once inside. A huge flesh-eating beastman dwells there. The maze is rumored to hold a great treasure.

Hamlin, in his own words...

"You could do one thing for me, but it's a tall order. Expose Castellan as the villain he is. He is in league with the dark sorcerer of the Caves. The very man who is suppose to be protecting these Borderlands is betraying us! Castellan is profiting by the humanoids' evil activities! After I discovered this secret I was forced to flee for my life."

This news is disturbing to you. Castellan is not unliked, and though you've heard he may be brutal at times. He has "managed" to prevent major infestations of evil in the Borderlands with his Keep and the efforts of militia and adventurers. Or has he? Strong proof would be needed to confront him.

Hamlin hesitates, almost sorry he brought Castellan up. "I should not involve you in this, lest your fate match mine, or worse."

"It was 20 years ago. I was a rogue adventurer making my way through the lands. I was set upon by bandits, almost killed, but saved by a priest and brought back to the Keep. Reformed my ways, I did. Helped the priest out at his small church in the Keep. Got to know the place. Got some god in me too, you could say. Started running errands into the Keep fortress where Castellan be. One day I got a shock - I saw one of the bandit men who almost killed me. He was an officer in Castellan's command. I told my priest. He believed me."

"We started to watch him. He came and went, often bringing covered wagons into the Keep. The priest had an acolyte inside the Keep who was a fine counter. Kept track of grains, supplies, that sort of thing. Told us the numbers didn't add up."

"Well then I started following this bandit. Used some of my old skills. Out near the old watchtower I spied him exchange sacks with a hobgoblin! I followed the creature to the those caves, they call 'em the Caves of Chaos these days."

"I returned to the priest. He counseled caution. I tried, but back then it wasn't my strong suit. I got the counter to show me the papers, and let me into the fortress Did some lurking. Found those wagons that go in and out. Hid under one of 'em when it left, loaded with weapons and food. Went to the caves, saw it exchanged for gold. A wizard-type (and I know what them types look like, I tangled with some before) gave the driver a scroll in a black case with a snake sigil."

"Back at the Keep I told the priest and counter. The next day the counter told us he saw that scroll case in the fortress. I didn't what to do. But then the counter just disappeared. No one knew where. The priest and I got scared. That night officers invaded the church. Captured the priest. Only with my old skills did I escape out of the Keep. Evaded their hunters. Found this weird old tree, I think it was fey made."

"I don't know how to prove Castellan's treachery. Need stronger swords and minds then I had. Rooting out and killing the evil in the Caves would break his plots."

The party entered the most southeastern cave entrance before.
I'm sorry I don't recall the group having hirelings and a wagon. It was raised I think, but there was a money issue? Unless I'm getting confused :oops: point me to the posts if so. Thanks.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#367 Post by OGRE MAGE »

perhaps MrH is thinking of the merchants wagon?
Meanwhile....back at the Temple....

Filgal Forgive our northern friend here Padre, he doesn't get out much.

Fingal will toss the Father 100 more GP for his trouble.

Then he says to Wulfhart Wolfie....Bert said NOT to embarrass him....remember?

We can take that off the treasure total or I will just take it off my sheet.

doughx99
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#368 Post by doughx99 »

Niles Redmond

I agree with bert we need to get to the caves and continue before reinforcements arrive

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#369 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal

Meanwhile.....back at the tavern....

Fingal looks at Albertus Haha! Now I got Nilesy calling ya that! I swear I didn't tell him to do that :lol:

b'sides....what makes ya think we is gonna get all drunk n rowdy?

I don't think we should be bringing up conspiracies here or anywhere else in the keep.....you know....just in case someone involved hears us. Grog is VERY good at this stuff and anything you say can, and usually is, used against you. :lol:

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by AleBelly »

Wulfhart is again embarrassed. 5 gp is a lot of money to the woodsman, and he again feels out of place in civilized society (or at least what he considers civilized society).

"Can't wait to get back to bashing skulls" he thinks to himself.

He calls over to the serving wench, orders his second honey mead. He tells her he'll cover the bill, but to let him know when it hits 40 gp so he can pay and head back to his room before the expenses exceed his modest means.

Regarding where to go next, he feels that he's proven he's the most dimwitted of the group - so he'll follow their lead and lend muscle where necessary.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#371 Post by Dizlexus »

AleBelly wrote:Wulfhart is again embarrassed. 5 gp is a lot of money to the woodsman, and he again feels out of place in civilized society (or at least what he considers civilized society).

"Can't wait to get back to bashing skulls" he thinks to himself.

He calls over to the serving wench, orders his second honey mead. He tells her he'll cover the bill, but to let him know when it hits 40 gp so he can pay and head back to his room before the expenses exceed his modest means.

Regarding where to go next, he feels that he's proven he's the most dimwitted of the group - so he'll follow their lead and lend muscle where necessary.
Foracor

Foracor sits next to Wulfie and digs into his purse. Here is another 25 gp for the priest. It is a gift, not a loan.

How do we expose Castillion? How do we shed light on him? Any ideas?
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#372 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal the Untrusting

Fingal will quietly go around to each party member ESPECIALLY FORACOR :lol: and remind them that openly talking about a conspiracy in front of ANY of the members of the Keep is a BAD idea. We still have no idea who we can or can't trust around here and the less attention we draw to ourselves the better.

I sez we get back to them caves and scope em out for a bit. Then we can decide which one to tackle next. We need to eliminate a few more of the weaker threats and gather some more information before we start making any accusations round here, dontcha think?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#373 Post by Zhym »

Boddin nods his head in agreement as he finishes the rest of his cake. "Our work in the caves is not done, I fear. I daresay we have only explored a small portion of them, and other dangers remain."

SlyFox
Ranger
Ranger

#374 Post by SlyFox »

Razmus: In the Tavern

His ears perk up as he hears his new party talking about making someone confess. "If you need someone to torture another into talking, I have found that I am quite talented at that."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#375 Post by Grognardsw »

At that moment, walking through the door in the company with several other men, the adventurers see with shock someone they recognize!

Castellan, commander of the Keep on the Borderlands

Castellan's advisor, Metzner the Wise

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#376 Post by MrHemlocks »

Seeing the two walk into the tavern together gives Albertus an idea. He turns to the rest of the party and whispers. "Might anyone you caster types have a means to detect evil on those two?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#377 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal the Sneak

Fingal looks at Bert and puts a finger to his lips making a soft shhhhhing noise.
That's a good idea Bert, but I don't believe we have the means. And besides....I think they'd notice something like that. This calls for a bit of stealth and ingenuity. Fingal pushes himself away from the bar and looks at our Halfling. Come on Boddin.....this one is right up your alley. Just follow my lead.

Fingal remembers back to his days of pick-pocketing. A little distracting conversation usually gleaned more information than he needed to pilfer a coin or two in those days.

Well hullo gentlemen! he says, walking towards the men. My little friend and I were wondering if we could buy you lot a round of drinks and ask about any possible work in the area for a small band of wanna be adventurers.

Do they look hostile or are they in the mood to talk? If we have dealt with these guys before.....sorry, the new Fingal doesn't remember any of that. :roll:

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by Grognardsw »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Fingal the Sneak

Do they look hostile or are they in the mood to talk? If we have dealt with these guys before.....sorry, the new Fingal doesn't remember any of that.:roll:

They look in a jovial mood. The group did meet with these two prior. I think Fingal wasn't there, he was getting an Assassin Bug larvae removed from his gut at the time. They will not know Fingal, but will recognize the others.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by Zhym »

Fingal's plan sounds like good fun to the hobbit. He plays along.

SlyFox
Ranger
Ranger

#380 Post by SlyFox »

Razmus looks at the hobbit and Fingal, questioning silently, just barely above a whisper - such is his usual voice. "What is it you two are up to? Booty for yourselves by pick-pocketing? Perhaps you should employ my help in that case. I can keep them distracted with a coin trick I once learned, but, so help me, if you leave me stuck there with them when all is said and done... I shall turn you both into very small lizards and crush you underfoot."

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”