Chp. 3: In the Caves of Chaos!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chp. 3: In the Caves of Chaos!

#401 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal

Thank you for the consideration sir. Some of my companions may look familiar to you. They have been in these lands for a short time now and, like me, are looking for work. We will meet with you on the morrow as you request. Fingal will look casually at each man hoping to see any slight reaction either one might show.

doughx99
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#402 Post by doughx99 »

Niles

After enjoying a few more ale's Niles says to the group I think this is a good idea. If we can learn from them while we make some coin for ourselves, what's wrong with that?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#403 Post by Grognardsw »

Castellan spends a few hours or so in the tavern, drinking and talking to the men he came in with. The adventurers keep half an eye on that table. People come up to greet and occasionally talk with him. The commander seems well liked. Metzner the advisor does not speak as much, though is seen to have quiet words with some visitors.

The next morning the party sleeps in, deserving the rest. After gathering for breakfast, they set out for their appointment with Castellan.
If there are any other activities you'd like to do that evening, or the following morning, or in preparation for Castellan, let me know. Otherwise we'll move along to the meeting.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#404 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Can one of our Clerics cast a detect evil spell before we head into the meeting or would our employers be able to tell if that spell is in affect?

If Mentzer is Evil, I'm guessing he has a way to mask it anyway.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#405 Post by Grognardsw »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Can one of our Clerics cast a detect evil spell before we head into the meeting or would our employers be able to tell if that spell is in affect?

If Mentzer is Evil, I'm guessing he has a way to mask it anyway.

It's a matter of Albertus and/or Bayard picking that spell for the next day.

Other spellcasters should select their spells as well.

Masking alignment isn't easy.

SlyFox
Ranger
Ranger

#406 Post by SlyFox »

Razmus has readied his magic missile and the shield spell acquired from Eli's spell book, given him by Foracor. With no money of his own, he's currently leaching off of the kindliness and generosity of his new companions, but fully intends to pull his own weight to earn his own money from here on out.
Life is that thing that gets in the way when you're trying to live.
DM - Pantheons, Cabals & Divulgence
Xerea, Barbarian Amazon - A People Divided
Gilgalore, Elf F/Th/MU - The Haunted Mines of Gomor
DesertFox, Tribal Fighter - Keep on the Borderlands

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#407 Post by Grognardsw »

Dawn brings a new day.

The party, rested in body and mind, gathers to visit Castellan and learn more about your mercenary job.

The commander of the Keep is more groomed today.

His advisor Metzner appears the same.

"Alright," begins Castellan gruffly. "I recognize you from before, you rescued the hobbit and elf from the ruined watchtower. I see some new faces. Tell me about yourselves."

The adventurers give the commander brief explanations. He then describes the mission.

"We have a wagon leaving with a visiting princess, two of her ladies-in-waiting, two guards (members of the Unsullied, the warrior-eunuchs of Astapor) and some treasure. We need her defended out of the Borderlands. When you reach the end of the mountain pass, you're job is done and you can return. The princess will give you something to bring back, to prove your job was done. Any questions?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#408 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal

Fingal licks his fingers and tries to straighten out his greasy hair above his ears.

Ladies in waiting you say? Hmmmmmm?
Again, I am new around here sirs. Please forgive my lack of knowledge of the surrounding area but, about how many days are we talking about here?
Also......guarding royalty and treasure doesn't sound like lackeys work, what are we talking about for compensation for this job?

SlyFox
Ranger
Ranger

#409 Post by SlyFox »

Razmus gives Fingal a disgusted look when he shows interest in the ladies-in-waiting. This behavior is all too familiar to him, something his brother engaged in many times. He has a sinking feeling this will mean trouble for all of them, but continues to listen in about "compensation".

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#410 Post by AleBelly »

OOC (maybe should put this in the OOC thread, but here goes):
If we think the Castellan's advisor is the traitor, should we work out a plan to reveal him to the Castellan? Perhaps refuse the offer, then accept later outside the advisor's presence? Or change the date of departure without his advisor's knowledge...instead sending just us to meet the ambush?

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#411 Post by Dizlexus »

I was thinking, maybe, we follow the princess beyond where we are supposta, see where she goes.
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)

doughx99
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#412 Post by doughx99 »

Niles Redmond

I am in this for the adventure and the treasure.If we are to save this keep we need proof,by taking this request we will find out if we were set up or if the castellan was true.I'm just saying it's an adventure either way so I'm in whatever the group decides.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#413 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I like the idea of going along with this and seeing what happens. I think we try to "befriend" both men to see if there is any discrepancies in there overall plans. I don't think Mentzer is suspicious of us......yet. I'm cool with tracking the princess for a bit as well. We definitely don't want to mention ANY knowledge of the caves yet.

SlyFox
Ranger
Ranger

#414 Post by SlyFox »

As Razmus has no clue what's going on, he'll follow along with anything. He just wants adventure for now.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#415 Post by Grognardsw »

Answering Fingal, Castellan says "It's four days travel to the mountain pass, known as Grimtooth's Gully. We've made inroads against the humanoid bandits along that road, but it can still be unpredictable and dangerous. An Ankheg's been popping up, hard to catch the big bastard. Drove out a troll under the river bridge. They hate fire you know."

Castellan pauses, taps out some grey powder onto his hand in the space between thumb and forefinger, then snorts it. He motions with some to Metzner, who shakes his head declining.

"We've been trying to establish a watch station at the entrance to the pass. We're on our third attempt. Damned ogres killed the last group and tore down the log tower. Anyway, the pay would be 500 gp per person. The princess is paying most of that, I sure as hell couldn't afford to. She favors hardened adventurers over typical soldiers."
The Keep and the Borderlands are to the north. You can see Grimtooth Gully that cuts through the mountain range.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#416 Post by AleBelly »

Wulfhart guffaws and says "500 gold pieces? I could boink five wood nymphs for that! Count me in!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#417 Post by Zhym »

"A 'hardened adventurer?'" wonders Boddin. "I'd scarcely call myself that! Why, I've been on a few adventures, certainly, but I do hope it hasn't hardened me!"

"No, if the princess wants a hardened adventurer, Wulfhart there is her man!"

Realizing what he just said, the hobbit turns a dark shade of red. "Oh dear! Do forgive my jest. I fear my companions have been a most improper influence on me!"
Last edited by Zhym on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

doughx99
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#418 Post by doughx99 »

Niles Redmond

Turning to the castellan Sir I feel as I would be able to carry out this mission with better armor.Would you be willing to loan me some or point me in the best direction to upgrade

has the treasure been split up or does niles have any gp of his own i would like to lower my ac

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#419 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal the Thief

Looks at Boddin and cracks a big smile. Yep is all he says.

He then addresses the Castilian I think my friend Niles makes a good point sirs. This seems like real work with big monsters to kill and everything. If there is any spare armor or weapons available for loan or sale anywhere in the Keep, I think that would help some of us out on this job. We don't wanna just get killed out there after all.
Im not sure what's gonna happen here but this is starting to sound like bigger fish to fry than stupid goblins. It also means being away from the caves for over a week. We should get some sweet XPs so Im all for it but if anyone objects to this "job", please speak up or were just gonna go for it.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#420 Post by Grognardsw »

doughx99 wrote:Niles Redmond

has the treasure been split up or does niles have any gp of his own i would like to lower my ac
According to Niles' sheet, he has 71 gp. Your last loot share, per OOC note, is 60 gp. Fingal has a more recent 100, so you'd get 12 of that. So 142 gp total.

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”